Forum: Nuzgûl of the Month Forum

Discussing: Nuzgûl of the Month September 2013

Nuzgûl of the Month September 2013

The Nuzgûl of the Month September 2013, courtesy of me...:

"Hope on the horizon"

Seemingly hopeless situations may not be as bleak as all that, or perhaps someone has false hope; hopes may be dashed, or come true...

Happy writing!  You can post ideas for next month in this forum towards the end of September.

Re: Nuzgûl of the Month September 2013

Aruthir's Note: I'm not a particularly hopeful chap at the best of times, but my current real-life situation has me in less pleasant places than a fellow might ask for; hence the decidedly dark tone this tale has taken. Apologies also for referencing the burning of Meduseld; I know it isn't canon, but... well. At least if you're offended by it you read it, right?

Looking out from the walls of the Hornburg, I see nothing but wild white wasteland.

Even Helm- the great Hammer-hand himself- has been lost to it.

The wind howls around me and I pull my cloak tighter against my shoulders.

Nature itself has sided with the invaders; we are lost and damned to wrack and ruin.

If I had tears left they would freeze upon my cheeks, but my heart ran dry when Meduseld burned.

Looking out from the walls of the Hornburg, I see nothing but wild white wasteland, nothing but an icy Hell from which all hope is fled.

They say tomorrow never comes.

I fear they are right.

<i>At least if you're offended by it you read it, right?</i>

And you may just have given me an idea for a later month...

Anyway, nicely dark little scenelet.

(and, umm, careful; the light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train Wink )

Aruthir's Note: A little shorter, a little brighter. Sorry if my constant posts seem like spamming, but writing the voices down gets rid of them for a little while... or at least shuts them up...

And as the last spark from the last fire winked out and died, quiet fell once more upon Dale.

Not a bird spoke, not a child laughed...

Even the wind hushed his voice in that accursed place, that grave of so many, that undeserving Hell...

...but even in death, they say, there is life.

The last flames roared no longer.

The last dying moaned no longer.

The last echo of the Dragon's rage whispered no longer...

...but Dale was not entirely silent.

Oh, to human ears it was silent, that is for certain, and to the ears of any Dwarves  that passed that way- dulled as they would have been by hammer and forge- it would have been doubly so, and had any Elves deigned to pass that way even they might have missed it, absorbed in their own misery as that poor people so often were in those long-forgotten days...

...but had there been older, keener ears to hear, there would have been a veritable concerto to be heard.

Flowers called sadly to bees who were no longer there, desperate and dying in the desolation the Dragon had left behind him.

Burned branches whimpered in misery, every slightest touch of every slightest breeze a fresh inferno of agony, every second an eternity of pain.

Dale was a symphony of death that day, oh yes...

...but even in death there is life.

Somewhere, lost and folorn and alone in desolation and desrtuction and death, hope sprang once more.

Somewhere a weed grew.

Somewhere a seed took root.

Even the darkest night is conquered by the smallest spark...

...or so we Ents believe.

No worries about spamming *g*

I notice you start and end with 'spark'; it's an interesting juxtaposition, given that fire is what caused the dark night in this case. Powerful stuff.

Aruthir's Note: Folorn hope is still hope, right?

...right?

As we ride through the gates, I offer up a prayer to anyone who might be listening.

Lord Faramir leads us to a hopeless battle- we all know this, every last man of us- but we are but soldiers; we must go where he leads us, lest we are executed as cowards.

My wife watches as we ride out, our daughter upon her hip.

She begged me not to go- she pleaded on her knees for me to deny my Lord- but I could not.

I could only promise her I would return with my shield rather than on it.

Tears run down her face and mine as I ride out to certain death

Please, you gods, if you exist, do not make me a liar to her...

Folorn hope is still hope, right?

...right?

I think it still counts as hope, yes...

A nice little filmverse vignette (for given values of 'nice', of course *g*)

Aruthir's Note: Not all clouds have silver linings; not all hopes are sweet. Please blame HBO for the tune, Tolkien for the story and the past 33 years for my current glut of depressing fic/nervous breakdown/delete as applicable.

Sing along if you know the words.

"And who are you,"

The proud lord said,

To ask my daughter's hand?

Only a fool, a fat old fool,

A fool from vile Dunland!"

"A Dunland fool I may well be,

But pride I have my Lord

I challenge you, to prove my worth

With fist or axe or sword!"

So Freca fell

His guards as well

Before the Hammer-hand

I had to flee

Like beaten dog

Flee back to vile Dunland

But as I fled

I swore revenge

Upon the Hammer-hand

"Wulf I was named and claws I have

As sharp as any sword

And though my father was a fool

You played him false, my Lord."

And so I spoke,

His men I broke

And watched them run in fear

And now the snows,

They chill my bones

And no-one else dares near.

Yes now the snows

They chill my bones

With not a soul to hear…

Hmm. I only watch one series on HBO, so I can only think of two tunes. However, I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, so I'll refrain from attempting to sing it Who, me?

And it's suddenly unseasonably cold... another nicely cheerful little tale... Now if I could only find my own inspiration Roll eyes

If you find my missing Happy Thought whilst you're looking, please let me know...Frown

Aruthir's Note: Hope comes in all shapes and sizes, does it not?

One-hundred and ten years old, Gerontius thinks.

Never- since records began, at least, and he doubts any of those long-dead ancients would begrudge him the conceit- has there been a Hobbit older.

The wind chills him to the bone as he steps out of his front door, but he does not worry- he merely pulls his scarf up further, his coat tighter and his hat down further, until he looks like little more than a pile of discarded garments.

He smiles and heads down the front path into the blizzard.

He hopes the Green Dragon has a good fire going.

Aruthir's Note: Hope is not always bright and beautiful- sometimes it is brutal and bloody.

Something screams in the night and I jerk to wakefulness.

An owl, maybe?

A mountain cat on the prowl?

One of my men, throat slashed by unknown hand, now drowning in his own blood?

I clutch my sword, knuckles ghostly-white in the moonlight, and for the thousandth time I swear I will have vengeance.

I should not be here- none of us should be!

We should be sleeping in soft feather beds, not against rocks- under warm woollen sheets, not under snowflakes!

My father was a fool- I am not.

I will have blood and fire.

I will have vengeance.

Again, I hesitate to say 'nice'... but, erm, nice ... Cool!

I gave you nice in the previous drabble, and look how many comments it got... Who, me?

True. Okay, I'll say 'horrifying' or 'I didn't sleep for a week' for the next one and see if that draws further responses Who, me?

That's more like it. Wink

*heh*

On a serious, sensible note... I have an idea for October's challenge?

Yay:-)

*pokes September story*

Aruthir's Note: A curious little piece of Dunlending graffiti found carved into one of the more ancient pillars of Meduseld- whatever could it mean? Who, me?

Gold this Hall was

And great it's Lord

But Wulf he threw it down

Accursed be him

Who rules this Hall

'Til the King reclaims his crown

Now that can be interpreted in any number of ways...Cool!

Exactly. Smile

On the brink of the new month, here is my September snippet:

It has been years since last she has seen her son. He has been away for a long time on Gandalf's business – she knows it is of great import but what it is that takes him out of Eriador and over the Misty Mountains for months and months upon a time, she does not know. Nor, she suspects, does anyone other than Aragorn and the wizard. Although perhaps Halbarad knows, or at the least will have his suspicions… Yet she has more chance of walking to the Moon than of getting that one to speak idly or betray a confidence, even if she would be willing to try. Whatever the wizard has Estel chasing after, the fewer people who know a secret, the fewer people can spill it.

She's had to be firm with one or two of the Councillors when they tried to bring her on their side and restrain Estel's wandering – "Make him listen to our concerns, and be our Chieftain in more than name!" they say. "It's bad enough that he is still unmarried… At least he should be here." Even if she agrees with them – and if she does, she will not say – she is certain there is more at stake than the Dúnedain alone, and she will not deter Estel from his task.

Now, though, he is here. He stays for a few days, and tells her somewhat of his latest journey, far into Wilderland, seeking for something or someone. He doesn't give much detail, and she doesn't ask.

He looks weary, and she sees the years in him, almost as much as she feels them in herself. Yet, as ever, she also sees in him the hope deep in his heart that they, that he, will prevail against the Enemy; the hope that has abandoned her, if she ever had it. If it had not been taken from her when Arathorn died, a small voice in her heart whispers.

The years have not been kind, and she is weary of life. Whatever it is that Estel strives for, she is unwilling to wait for another ten or twenty years. Even if he prevails, she… All she sees is darkness gathering, over her, over him, over all the Dúnedain.

And so, when at their parting he speaks to her of his hope: "Yet there may be a light beyond the darkness; and if so, I would have you see it and be glad."

She can only answer with her despair: Ónen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin estel anim 1

[the final words between Aragorn and Gilraen are quoted from Appendix A: The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen]

1: I gave Hope to the Dúnedain, I have kept no hope for myself

Poor Gilraen. Here's hoping October's Challenge gives her a little more happiness!

Who knows? (You probably, since you mentioned earlier that you had a suggestion for October... )

On a serious, sensible note... I have an idea for October's challenge?

Cool! And what is it?

I didn't want to look like a challenge-hog...

So embarassed!

Smile Well, I did September, so unless anyone else has one, and I don't want to be a challenge-hog either...

Besides, I think it's more like being a member of a very exclusive club (not that anyone else isn't welcome to join in Wink  ...)

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Nuzgûl of the Month Forum