Forum: 2012 - HASA Birthdays

Discussing: May 2012 Birthday Cards

May 2012 Birthday Cards

Birthday folks: Is your birthday in May and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread. Create a birthday workshop story to collect your birthday cards in one place, and enter it into the 2012 Birthday Cards Challenge.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the birthday workshop story the recipient of your birthday card has - hopefully - created.

In case you need help or have a comment, question or suggestion, please post it here or send me an e-mail - I'll do my best to help.

May, 6th - RiverOtter: I would like something about writing or paper.

May, 18th - Nath: I would like something around this quote from the Akallabeth:

For the Dúnedain held that even mortal Men, if so blessed, might look upon other times than those of their bodies' life; and they longed ever to escape from the shadows of their exile and to see in some fashion the light that dies not; for the sorrow of the thought of death had pursued them over the deeps of the sea. Thus it was that great mariners among them would still search the empty seas, hoping to come upon the Isle of Meneltarma, and there to see a vision of things that were. But they found it not. And those that sailed far came only to the new lands, and found them like to the old lands, and subject to death. And those that sailed furthest set but a girdle about the Earth and returned weary at last to the place of their beginning; and they said: 'All roads are now bent.'

May, 24th - Glîrnardir: I would like very much something of Aragorn's many peregrinations, especially his journeys into Harad or his first passage of Moria.

Re: May 2012 Birthday Cards

My birthday is on the 18th, and I would like something around this quote from the Akallabeth:

For the Dúnedain held that even mortal Men, if so blessed, might look upon other times than those of their bodies' life; and they longed ever to escape from the shadows of their exile and to see in some fashion the light that dies not; for the sorrow of the thought of death had pursued them over the deeps of the sea. Thus it was that great mariners among them would still search the empty seas, hoping to come upon the Isle of Meneltarma, and there to see a vision of things that were. But they found it not. And those that sailed far came only to the new lands, and found them like to the old lands, and subject to death. And those that sailed furthest set but a girdle about the Earth and returned weary at last to the place of their beginning; and they said: 'All roads are now bent.'

Hello Nath,

I don't have a new story to offer as a birthday card, but I wrote a drabble around exactly that richly intriguing quote some years previously which I thought you might perhaps like as a little "taster" : Deliverance.

Cheers!

Imhiriel
...hoping your prompt gets the creative sparks flying among the HASA community...

*snaps up taster*

Yum! Thank you!

Hope this isn't too late, Nath!

Anarion, my mother called me- my father a sailor, she hoped naming me after that great King of old would honour him though he was lost in a storm before I was even born.

Alas, 'twas not to be- I get seasick even looking at the ocean.

That, however, is not the end of my tale- far from it.

One night, many years hence, when a little boy- with all the wilfulness and wilyness of a little boy- I went sneaking out- you know how boys are- and climbed to the top of the hill that overlooked our village.

I know not why- perhaps it was memory in my blood, perhaps a whisper from my long-lost father... perhaps I was just a naughty little boy.

But I digress.

I found myself atop the hill, looking out to sea. I had no binoculars, no telescope, no Elven seeing-stone...

Just the eyes of a little boy.

And yet...

Somewhere on the horizon- just that once, mind, just that once, and never again- I fancy I saw a ship- small and shallow-hulled and white-sailed- and on that ship I thought I saw a man- with swarthy skin like mine and with a nose just like mine and with a jutting jaw just like mine and with eyes as grey as the storm just like...

My mother says I was imagining things, and that I should buckle down to my chores on the farm and forget such silly flights of fancy...

...but my father smiles at me in my dreams and tells me she was wrong.

I rather think he is right.

Hope this isn't too late, Nath!

Even worse, it's early Who, me?Wink

It's also lovely. Thank you!

My birthday was on the 6th. I would like something about writing or paper.

My birthday is May 24th. I would like very much something of Aragorn's many peregrinations, especially his journeys into Harad or his first passage of Moria. Thanks to everyone!

Riccardo.

Happy belated birthday, RiverOtter!

Have some writing:

Circumstances

As he carefully wrote a reply to Círdan's latest message, Tuor was glad of having taken the time to learn back in Gondolin, even if he doubted he'd ever develop a fair hand.

Idril had been appalled when she found that he could neither write nor read, but Annael's Elves had no such luxuries as paper or parchment in their cave, nor, in the struggle to survive, would there have been time to teach him. The Easterlings did not write, beyond tally marks, and even if they had, they wouldn't have taught a slave. Tuor shrugged. That was the past.

Thank you.  You have captured the value of writing.

Sorry this is late, RiverOtter- hope you enjoy it none the less?

The candles burn low, spitting and guttering their last.

I can barely see, but I keep writing.

I must get the memories down on paper- as furred and fuzzed as they are with the cobwebs of time, who knows how long they will remain with me?

In the flickering shadows on the wall the beast rears up from the pit once more- rendered more huge and horrible and hateful by time's lens than ever it was in real life- and I shudder involuntarily.

This time there is no Gandalf to stand between us.

I shudder again.

I must keep writing.

That is so haunting.  Thanks

Happy birthday, Glîrnardir!

Before coming to Harad, Aragorn thought, he would have said he had a good tolerance for heat. Now he knew that he had never known real heat. Oh, it could be warm at home, but summer heat there was usually dry. Gondor was warmer than Eriador or Rohan, but here... out in the sands the wind felt as if it came from a smelting furnace, and in the greener lands further south, the heat was said to be so moist it made breathing nigh impossible.

Yet the Haradrim bore it, and so must he. Aragorn sighed and turned south again.

Hey, thanks very much, Nath! Only you could make observations about weather interesting! ;)

One more question, Aruthir; does it have a title *g* so I can add it to the birthday challenge stories?

All I could come up with was Son of a Sailor, and I fear that's a Jimmy Buffett lyric waiting to happen. Feel free to come up with something better.

I'll do my best *g*

How about 'His Father's Son'?

I'd been considering that, but then wondered if I might not be better keeping that one for if I suddenly write another sequel to His Mother's Son...

I'd been considering that, but then wondered if I might not be better keeping that one for if I suddenly write another sequel to His Mother's Son...

Laugh out loud Why are titles so hard?

*ponders some more*

Would anyone want a sequel to His Mother's Son, out of interest?

Would anyone want a sequel to His Mother's Son, out of interest?

I for one would certainly want such a thing...

Then perhaps I need to start reading Unfinished Tales again... Wink

"From afar, the Sea"  ?

That's the best one so far, unless you count "Searching Endless Seas", which was the best I could come up with today?

That would also work... *g*

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to 2012 - HASA Birthdays