Forum: Drabbles

Discussing: Silmarillion drabble--just three more chapters!

Silmarillion drabble--just three more chapters!

Hi all, Revision to list. Any chapter in plain text is finished; any chapter in bold is open still: 1 Ainulindalë 2 Valaquenta 3 Of the Beginning Days 4 Of Aulë and Yavanna—*new volunteer* Cold Like Fire 5 Of the Coming of the Elves and The Captivity of Melkor 6 Of Thingol and Melian 7 Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië 8 Of Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor 9 Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor 10 Of the Darkening of Valinor 11 Of the Flight of the Noldor— open 12 Of The Sindar 13 Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor 14 Of Men 15 Of the Return of the Noldor 16 Of Beleriand and its Realms 17 Of the Noldor in Beleriand—open 18 Of Maeglin 19 Of the Coming of Men into the West 20 Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin 21 Of Beren and Lúthien 22 Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad 23 Of Túrin Turambar 24 Of the Ruin of Doriath 25 Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin 26 Eärendil’s Voyage and the War of Wrath 27 Akallabeth

Re: Silmarillion drabble--just three more chapters!

Dwim, I was just trying to work out which chapters still haven't been posted in the HA Writers's story (I found one that was missing and added it) and I think it's: 1. Of the Beginning of Days -HF 2. Of Aulë and Yavanna - 9. Of the Flight of the Noldor-Erin's Daughter 15. Of the Noldor in Beleriand-Earmire I can't find drabbles for chapters 1, 9 and 15, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough? Cheers, Liz

I'd be willing to do one of the last three chapters. I would seriously need to work on drabbling more, though. CLF

All righty, let's review again. I just copied all the existing titles and their numbers from Silm Drabbles' Table of Contents. 1 Ainulindalë 2 Valaquenta 3 Of the Beginning Days 4 Of Aulë and Yavanna—*new volunteer* Cold Like Fire 5 Of the Coming of the Elves and The Captivity of Melkor 6 Of Thingol and Melian 7 Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië 8 Of Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor 9 Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor 10 Of the Darkening of Valinor 11 Of the Flight of the Noldor—not done; open 12 Of The Sindar 13 Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor 14 Of Men 15 Of the Return of the Noldor 16 Of Beleriand and its Realms 17 [Of the Noldor in Beleriand—not done, Eärmírë/Nol] 18 Of Maeglin 19 Of the Coming of Men into the West—uploaded today 20 Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin 21 Of Beren and Lúthien 22 Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad 23 Of Túrin Turambar 24 Of the Ruin of Doriath 25 Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin 26 Eärendil’s Voyage and the War of Wrath 27 Akallabeth Ok, then, by comparing our lists, we have still four chapters. I did miss two, but happily, someone has already posted one of the other missing ones. So, CLF, which of four would you like? I'll try to get swapping permission from the three drabblers who signed up originally. If I can't get them within a reasonable amount of time, I'll let you know and you can pick. "Aulë and Yavanna" is officially open, if you want it. Thanks again, Liz, for pointing out the oversight! Dwim

Thanks! I'd be interested in "Of Aule and Yavanna," or "The Flight of the Noldor." CLF

If you want to do "Of Aule and Yavanna", go for it--it's open. In fact, you're now officially signed up for it. Have fun! If/when I hear from ERin's Daughter, I'll post here. Dwim

Okay, thanks! That will definitely work. Do I read that chapter of the Silmarillion, and then write a drabble on it? CLF

Do I read that chapter of the Silmarillion, and then write a drabble on it? That's exactly it. If you search under the Author drop-down menu for "HA Writers Group", you'll see the story: Silmarillion, Drabbled. Read through some of the drabbles there if you want a few examples. Or just check the "Silmarillion Trials" thread below. In other news: 1) Erin's Daughter has said she is willing for another volunteer to take her chapter. So whoever wants it, you've got it. Thanks, ED, for the quick reply! 2) I have created placeholder chapters for those drabbles that are not yet complete. They are set to "private" and have a 0 word count. This is to make it easier on the drabblers—when you ask for the HA Writers login info (use the CM contact form), you won't have to renumber all the chapters when uploading your drabble. Just find the proper placeholder, click "Edit", paste in your drabble and your name, switch chapter status to "public", and hit "update". No messy renumbering of twenty-odd chapters. 3) HF *had* drabbled "Of the Beginning of Days", but hadn't uploaded the drabble from the "trials" thread. It has since been updated since she was happy with it. Thanks, HF!

Thank you for your help! I have one other question, though : where do I submit the drabble when I am done with it?

When you've finalized your drabble and are happy with it, e-mail me and I will give you the login info to HA Writer's Group. HA Writer's group works just like your usual member ID, it's just a collective identity for group stories and such like. So when you login, click "My stories", find "Silmarillion, Drabbled", and then just paste your drabble into the appropriate chapter. Select "Public" for chapter status, then hit "update". Voilà, you are done. Or, if you have trouble, you can e-mail nrink or myself and ask one of us to post it for you. There are also threads ("Silmarillion trials") where authors posted their work first for feedback and critique before posting it into the story form.

Update: Nol has e-mailed back and said she would be happy to let someone else take a crack at "Of the Noldor in Beleriand". If she gets inspired before others, she is free to readopt, but the chapter is open. Erin's Daughter said essentially the same thing. HF had done a drabble, so it was simply moved to the appropriate chapter with her consent. CLF has adopted "Of Aulë and Yavanna". Now, we just need volunteers for the others... Dwim

Of the Flight of the Noldor?

If no one has taken "Of the Flight of the Noldor", I'll try that one. Hm... ~Allie

Looks like I missed all the drabbling. What I get for showing up to the party late. I can't figure out what's available, but I bought the book this morning. I'll do what's left if somebody will give me a hand. I used to drabble all the time. Buchs

From what I can tell, the only one no one has volunteered for is "Of the Noldor in Beleriand". That chapter deals with the Noldor divvying up Beleriand to their own respective realms. That'd be an interesting one to try. ~Allie

I'll do 'of the Noldor in Beleriand'. Does it have to be done quickly? I went through the the drabbles up there now and they are very very good. One is a poem. It amazes me that somebody could write a drabble in poem form. I can barely write a poem. And funny to boot! Buchs

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Drabbles