Forum: Fileg's stories

Discussing: strength of love

strength of love

I got to the place from which I wrote this poem from two things:

The phrase – the fierceness of the Buddha’s compassion

and my best friend Chris, who said today – “I would like to find a man who could offer romance and strength, but if I had to choose – it would be strength every time.”

I liked the rondeau form for Dol Amroth – the rhythm reminds me of in and out of waves on the shore.

Re: strength of love

Gosh, I liked this. Having been influenced to a great degree, I must admit, by Una's 'A Game of Chess', I've always sort of been creeped out by Finduilas/Eowyn parallels. And actually, just Finduilas in general. But I really like your interpretation, so nicely expressed in this poem. That she was a force to be reckoned with herself. Makes her death even more sad and depressing...

Faramir not being the first steward to dig shieldmaidens. I love it. Anyway, great rondeau - thanks.

Btw, 'the supple sheath that guards your sword'? A naughty shieldmaiden to boot, it's no wonder he liked her. Reminds me of an Eowyn/Faramir pwp I'm playing with at the moment. With all these boys waving their swords around, it's impossible to resist bringing the innuendo, isn't it?

This is great - what a wonderful glimpse of a wholly new side of Finduilas you've given us! Passionate, strong-willed, loving, demanding, and wanting someone who's her match in those things. Very nicely done.

I'm gonna grab this poem and send it to every guy who asks me out from now on. With appropriate credit to the author, of course.

Can I? Pretty please? ;)

This is great - what a wonderful glimpse of a wholly new side of Finduilas you've given us! Passionate, strong-willed, loving, demanding, and wanting someone who's her match in those things. Very nicely done.

I'll second that - definitely an interesting new way of looking at Finduilas for me, and why Faramir might wish to give Eowyn her mantle. It could lead to various new ways in which she could fade in the stone city as well. Thanks!

Thanks for reading and feed-backing! I am still a little overwhelmed to find people reading my poetry – let alone writing to me about how / why I do it and exchanging ideas on forms. I have learned so much here- and easily as much from the exchange of ideas as from the writing itself.

Ijemanja: 'the supple sheath that guards your sword'? A naughty shieldmaiden to boot, it's no wonder he liked her. Reminds me of an Eowyn/Faramir pwp I'm playing with at the moment. With all these boys waving their swords around, it's impossible to resist bringing the innuendo, isn't it?

It is a poem full of innuendo – I left myself without much scope for rhyme and grasped for something to anchor the thought. I like the sound of naughty shieldmaiden – perhaps I am not too old to aspire to it,

And it is, absolutely, impossible for me to resist. And my favorite sword-waving scene is when Aragorn and Eomer first meet in Rohan, on the plain and wave Guthwine and Andruil about like swaggering boys – I keep waiting for one of them to actually say – “Look! Mine is Bigger!!”

Shadow: thanks for following my work. I owe you a ton of review when I get a moment! I am glad you like my very very speculative Finduilas. I like to consider the unexpected!

Please, use the poem if you wish- but I have found it usually works better to hit guys with it, rolled up. Use nice heavy stock when you print it out.

Alawa: It could lead to various new ways in which she could fade in the stone city as well.

I have found myself in Gondor quite often since I have begun writing again, and considering things that are very alien to my own view. I think it is something addictive in the verse forms themselves. Have you been finding that the rhythm changes your mind as you write?

I was thinking of your work when I first thought of writing this – I had a moment where I could see so many parallels to Arathorn and Gilraen, thinking of your poems about them – and still, such a different path, such a different end. It would be interesting to compare them somehow – parallel poems??

Gaudete!

Tay / powzie / fileg

And it is, absolutely, impossible for me to resist. And my favorite sword-waving scene is when Aragorn and Eomer first meet in Rohan, on the plain and wave Guthwine and Andruil about like swaggering boys – I keep waiting for one of them to actually say – “Look! Mine is Bigger!!”

Oh, totally! And that's how you know Gandalf is such an important guy - because he gets a big special sword AND a staff... *snicker*

Oh, totally! And that's how you know Gandalf is such an important guy - because he gets a big special sword AND a staff... *snicker*

On the box for his action figure, it says "with staff-raising action." Subtle, huh?

Finduilas' poetry was absolutely stunning. I love your portrayal of her as a strong woman! We are sometimes tempted to think her weak by the fact that she withered... And you have shown it is quite the opposite. It must have taken a strong, confident, self-willed woman to bind Denethor's heart, and I think in this poem you have captured both her strength, and his love. That was beautiful!

I have found myself in Gondor quite often since I have begun writing again, and considering things that are very alien to my own view. I think it is something addictive in the verse forms themselves. Have you been finding that the rhythm changes your mind as you write?

Villanelles can certainly be obsessive in the way they force you to keep thinking about the various aspects of just two lines, and I seem unable to write them in iambic pentameter - I have to use a shorter line.

I was thinking of your work when I first thought of writing this – I had a moment where I could see so many parallels to Arathorn and Gilraen, thinking of your poems about them – and still, such a different path, such a different end. It would be interesting to compare them somehow – parallel poems??

I can definitely see parallels between Denethor/Finduilas and Arathorn/Gilraen (the way I imagine them). There is the age gap and the call of duty and the need to bear heirs. And the "fading", too, I suppose. They are also both of the last generation before the renewal and consequently living through the darkest times.

Thanks, Starlight

My Finduilas is so very speculative that I was not sure how this would be received. I am pleased to find it getting so much thought and consideration.

As you and I discussed elsewhere, I was having trouble finding anything good to say about Denethor, and Jim leaned over me and wrote in the + column: fathered Boromir and Faramir.

This comes indirectly from that. I still have trouble imagining the kind of nurturing they received, and so I had to grasp at genetics – someone, somewhere did something right to produce those boys! And so, the speculative strength of a young girl to desire to take such a partner - and the speculative desire to recapture it that I momentarily brushed over Faramir.

tay

Alawa –

Villanelles can certainly be obsessive in the way they force you to keep thinking about the various aspects of just two lines, and I seem unable to write them in iambic pentameter - I have to use a shorter line.

I find all the “closed” forms of verse to be intriguing to write. I wonder if it is because I am emotionally unrestrained – it becomes a challenge to me to use a confined field and still try to get an unrestrained emotion as a result.

I used the standard iambic pentameter for Finduilas because it I had always wanted to craft a villanelle, and I used the purest form I could manage. I don’t think there is any truly hard and fast rule about meter – and I really like the rhythm you achieved with the shorter foot. And the sense of the poem must be the most important thing in the end. In my Faramir terzanelle, I added an extra floating syllable to the feather verse, and I was so caught up in the meaning I did not even notice it until days later. Now I am too caught up in the sense of that verse to try and change it – oh well. Sometimes love is bigger in the heart and brain than the rules!!!

I can definitely see parallels between Denethor/Finduilas and Arathorn/Gilraen (the way I imagine them). There is the age gap and the call of duty and the need to bear heirs. And the "fading", too, I suppose. They are also both of the last generation before the renewal and consequently living through the darkest times.

Exactly where your poems took me – a young partner senses something (love? destiny?) in an unexpected mate and plunges in. They produce long awaited and much needed offspring, then one of them dies and the other emotionally abandons them. They both are unable to take a new partner. They both have a sense that they are offering their children to history/fate. They both fall to despair as the darkness approaches…

Well, I am still thinking about them. And really glad the time difference keeps me from imagining them pairing up after their losses… really not thinking about it....

And wondering as well if the cycle continues with Aragorn and Arwen, so different in ages, and cultures, needing to produce an heir, facing seperation and the dark dark days....

tay

Sometimes love is bigger in the heart and brain than the rules!!!

Oh yes!

Well, I am still thinking about them. And really glad the time difference keeps me from imagining them pairing up after their losses… really not thinking about it....

Ah but you should! The age gap between Denethor and Gilraen is a mere matter of 23 years. The gap between Denethor and Finduilas is only a little less, 20 years, and the gap between Arathorn and Gilraen is 34 years. There is no problem with Gilraen being older. She is herself a descendent of Aranarth and died well before her time aged 100 after being a widower for 74 years. Denethor seems old in RotK but he has been prematurely aged by his use of the palantir, so if fate had intervened some time before he got addicted …..

Of course everything pales into insignificance beside the Arwen/Aragorn age gap of 2690 years.

And wondering as well if the cycle continues with Aragorn and Arwen, so different in ages, and cultures, needing to produce an heir, facing seperation and the dark dark days....

Definitely as far as Arwen's death is concerned, I'd say.

ROTFL! I nearly choked on my coffee when I read this! What an image!

I don't know how I missed this poem before, but I agree that it makes her death seem that much sadder. I sense that before the end his strength, and it was indeed there, was wholly consumed by his duties as Steward and by his use of the Palantir, and he no longer had anything left for her.

I really appreciate people who can write poetry like this.

~Nessime

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is closed to the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

« Back to Fileg's stories