Forum: Fileg's stories

Discussing: Ascension

Ascension

Ah, now, that's very good. And don't be afraid if you're coming to understand Denethor - especially if it draws poetry like this out of you. I think you've grasped, and conveyed, the heart of the situation in which Denethor finds himself, and it's that which gives me such profound sympathy for the man. His people are threatened by an enemy which he (not unreasonably) fears cannot be defeated, and everything he knows coming to an end. I won't rant here about the reasons I think Denethor was not always as he is by the time we see him in the books, except to say that the Enemy was strong, and malignant, and that if Denethor had been so terrible throughout his rule, not much would have been left of Gondor or his sons.

Lovely, lovely, tragic poem.

Re: Ascension

Another wonderful poem. I love the way it flows so naturally within the strictness of the form.

The great thing about Denethor is that there is so much wriggle room in the way he can be portrayed in fanfic. Even when he is depicted at his worst there is still room for sympathy or at least understanding. His head can be an awfully bleak place to be though. I just dipped my toe in briefly and it left me feeling quite down for days!

Keep up the writing, please.

Love it! Liked the symbolism of the ashes and really enjoyed the form of the poem. Denethor is really starting to fascinate me - can I hold out until after the next movie to reread ROTK? ;-)

Avon

Lovely! I agree with Avon about the symbolism of the ashes. There's something very potent about it.

Avon,
can I hold out until after the next movie to reread ROTK? ;-)

No Faramir, Denethor, fire, mantle. I rest my case.

~acacia

I changed two little bits of punctuation in this poem today, and somehow it sprang back into consciousness!

I never did get back to thank you all for reading this – or to say how stunned I was to find you reading terzanelles at all, let alone mine! But if you hadn’t, I doubt I would have been so bold as to share Breathe, and it seems to have unlocked something for me. A million thanks.

I like this one myself, (she blushed and admitted.) I would like a little more variance in the line break, but I was willing to forgo it here because the experience of writing this moved me tremendously. It gave me a Denethor, however speculative to me, that I had never seen before. No small feat in a book that reveals something new to me with every reading, even after almost fourty years of readings!

And it felt right when I read it aloud. And Chris, the world’s best slash-and-burn Beta, barely changed a syllable – now that’s a moment of triumph! (Chris is a lover of verse, but it is not her first love unless it is poems from the war years– but I got her with this one, and, I think, with Faramir’s terzanelle.)

I am glad the image of the ashes works – Denethor gets into my head in the spring, and I had that kind of Ash Wednesday ceremonial combined with the soot streaked face of one who has - and will - put himself through the fire.

And Avon – How can you possibly wait! Since the first film opened, I have read LoTR though 5 or 6 times, and the HoME volumes that cover the writing of it. I would read it more, but between writing chapter by chapter with LoTR_inklings and falling into this lovely and deceptive trap, I suddenly need more time to write than I have for years.

I will have to get a bunch of us together like a literary Charlie’s Angel’s/SWAT team, and we will come and read it to you. If you look out your window some morning and find the Faramir-Femmes on your lawn, don’t say you weren’t warned!

(we need t-shirts to do this - I have LoTR sims, and Jim made a t-shirt for my sim character to wear that was suppose to say 'I 'heart' Gondor." It's great, but he did it in a motel room late one night when we were on our way to Toronto, and he forgot to flip it over. So now it has become a family joke - I 'heart" Rodnog - I have it up all over the house. Silly, but more tasteful than the animated gif we made that shows the ring slipping on and off a finger with a long polished nail - that says 'Wet for Weta' - a slogan from the Manly Men line,)

And Avon – How can you possibly wait!

Well, it certainly makes writing about the Faramir/Boromir/Denethor dynamic difficult ;-)

Since the first film opened, I have read LoTR though 5 or 6 times, and the HoME volumes that cover the writing of it.

I didn't get hooked until the second movie (yes, I know I should whisper this around here but I *like* the movies ;-)) and then I dug out the copies of FOTR and TTT my big brother gave me for my 16th birthday and which had I read once and reread them - and haven't really put them down since ;-) I did read them cover to cover first but now I'm 'patchworking' them - my term for my habit of just picking up books opening them at random and then reading that chunk and then the next time I pass them doing the same thing. I've also read The Hobbit (got half way through it twenty years ago ;-)), read The Silmarllion - and read 27 pages of UT ;-) I'm patchworking it too while getting up enough impetus to stop writing and read it. Oh and today's purchase was The Complete Tolkein Companion - so I'm not quite a complete heathen ;-)

I would read it more, but between writing chapter by chapter with LoTR_inklings and falling into this lovely and deceptive trap, I suddenly need more time to write than I have for years.

Yes, this 'lovely and deceptive trap' has a lot to answer for in terms of undone things ;-) Unfortunately I go back to work next week so will have less time to fit my life in than I have for the last two weeks.

I will have to get a bunch of us together like a literary Charlie’s Angel’s/SWAT team, and we will come and read it to you. If you look out your window some morning and find the Faramir-Femmes on your lawn, don’t say you weren’t warned!

*Whimper* But my big sister - whom I have sucked into loving LOTR too - will kill me if I tell her one more spoiler!

Avon

Just wanted to add that I am now being totally haunted by the last line and a half of this poem - as a man ascends the steps with ashes on his face Curently it is accompanying me everywhere ;-)

Avon

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is closed to the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

« Back to Fileg's stories