Forum: Fileg's stories

Discussing: telling the bees

telling the bees

Telling the Bees is a Celtic superstition, and so it should have a
third component beside the two Sam mentions. For me, it is that the
bee is a symbol of resurrection and immortality, often used that way
in heraldry, too. The word is related to beo, byw - 'to be living.'

Re: telling the bees

Tay, I just came on-line to check out the review stories and saw this is in draft status. Congratulations! I'm so pleased this story was accepted for the Archive. You've captured such a poignant moment for Sam, and writing it within the context of this wonderful old superstition was brilliantly done.

For me, it is that the bee is a symbol of resurrection and immortality, often used that way in heraldry, too. The word is related to beo, byw - 'to be living'

I've seen this before on heraldic devices and was aware of the symbolism, but I hadn't seen the definition of the OE word beo in the etymologies listed in any of my dictionaries. You know how I love finding these bits of information, so thanks for sharing this one.

~Nessime

Tay, this really is a very beautiful story and proof that good hobbit fics are around and being accepted into the archive.

I agree with Nessime, the author's notes were an added bonus - very interesting.

I haven't been to Henneth-Annun in ages, so this was the first story I've read here in quite a while.

This is a wonderful example of how perfectly executed a very short fic can be. It conveys so much in such a deceptively simple way, and is moving without being maudlin.

I've seen other examples of writers trying to incorporate traditional folklore into their stories, with varying degrees of success. Here it was done beautifully, in a way that melds perfectly with Shire culture. Sam's simple announcement is wonderfully written, and perfectly in character.

I'm wondering if you're at all familiar with the work of Mary Webb, an early 20th century writer whose novels took place in the Shropshire district (near the Welsh border), and who mixed strong folkloric elements into her writing. Her book "Precious Bane," featured a chapter called "Telling the Bees," which your story obviously brought to mind. (Apparently, in Shropshire, you also had to tell the rooks, to keep them from flying away, too!)

Congrats! It's a lovely story - possibly one of the very few post-Ring War Hobbit stories I'm ever going to love. ;-) It just carries so much atmosphere.

Avon

Congratulations, Tay. You know how much I liked this one. It gave me a new view of Sam, and my appreciation for him grew even more. And, of course, your beautiful language and style all over that piece... just a delight.

Starlight

Congratulations Tay! I liked this very much indeed. Sam was lovely and the supersition used was very apt. (Not to mention the fact that it sent me into a re-read of Enid Blyton for a few days)

I loved this when I saw it go up on the newsgroup for the on-line challenge. Lovely to see it published. Your Sam, and the whole atmosphere of the Shire, seem very real to me. See...see.. I read other things than Boromir or Faramir.... I do... I do...

I love Mary Webb! Precious Bane is one of those books that I buy every time I see it in a used book store. I have given it to at least 15-20 people.

Ness, duck when I finally see you in person. I have an extra copy waiting for you on my shelf...

Tay and I fell in fell in love with the story when Masterpiece Theater first aired their adaptation. We went out in a buying frenzy.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is closed to the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

« Back to Fileg's stories