Forum: 2013 - HASA Birthdays

Discussing: February 2013 Birthday Cards

February 2013 Birthday Cards

Birthday folks: Is your birthday in February and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread. To collect your birthday cards in one place, you can create a birthday workshop story.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! Just like the recipients, you can collect the stories you've written in a  birthday workshop story.

And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the 2013 Birthday Cards Challenge.

Here's a short recap on how to do that:

• Add each birthday present as a chapter in your story, using the story name (and the birthday recipient if there is room) as the story chapter. If you can't fit the person's name into the chapter title, just include it as the first opening line in the chapter.
  • Be sure you give each chapter a number and set the status to public so everyone can read it!
  • Since most birthday card stories are pretty short, you might include the birthday recipient's wish for what kind of story she wanted. Paste it from the forum.
  • In your story summary, you can list out who you've written stories for if you like.
  • It's up to you on the order you want to give your chapters - Alphabetical by recipient, order by month chronologically, newest first, etc.

In case you need help or have a comment, question or suggestion, please post it here or send me an e-mail - I'll do my best to help.

January, 13th - Archeress: I'd like a story about Boromir and Lothiriel. What was their relationship like, given the age difference? Did he promise to do something with her when he returned, and what did she feel when the news of his death came? (Those are just suggestions).

Re: February 2013 Birthday Cards

Yay, finally get a chance to do this.

My Birthday is the 13th and I'd like a story about Boromir and Lothiriel. What was their relationship like, given the age difference? Did he promise to do something with her when he returned, and what did she feel when the news of his death came? (Those are just suggestions).

I'll see what I can come up with- can't promise it'll be very fluffy though!

Author's Note: Sorry it's so early, Archeress- I can always try to write you another if it isn't satisfactory?

She scowls at me, petulance marrng her pretty face.

"It's not fair."

I shrug.

"Life rarely is, cousin."

She tosses her head.

"You know exactly what I mean, Boromir."

She turns and stomps away from me.

I know not what to say, so I say nothing.

She turns back to me and I see a glistening in her eyes that promises tears.

"He never lets me do anything."

I shake my head.

"He worries about you, cousin. He is your father."

She tosses her head again, a bridled mare yearning to be free.

"He is a boring old goat, is what he is! He never lets me do anything!"

I know not what to say, so I say nothing as she rants.

"If he had his his way I should be locked up in a tower like some stupid princess in a stupid fairytale! It is as though he thinks me made of glass!"

I sigh and shake my head.

"Were it up to me I would let you come with me in a heartbeat..."

She sniffs.

"You promise?"

I nod.

"...but it is not up to me. Your father treats you as the most delicate flower because to him that is what you are, cousin- his most precious, priceless jewel."

I shrug

"And anyway, he may have a point. The roads are not what they once were, after all- there are bandits and goblins and trolls and far, far worse things lurking along them."

She sniffs, sullen again, and though my heart breaks I must stay strong.

"Then why must you go alone? Why is it one rule for men and one for women?"

I know not what to say, so I say nothing.

"Why can I not come with you, Boromir? I can ride as well as any man, you know I can- I could cut off my hair, pretend to be your page-" 

Her voice falters, the tears glisten in her eyes again and she turns away from me.

If I could only explain, if I could only tell her...

...but I cannot.

Father swore me to secrecy, and my word is my bond.

Only a King could get me to break my word, and there is as little chance of a King turning up as...

I smile sadly.

"Tell you what, cousin- how about a compromise?"

She turns, one eyebrow raised, and my smile lightens.

"If you will stay still and silent here in Dol Amroth like a princess in a fairytale, then when I return I shall endeavour with all my heart to rescue you, to convince your wicked father to allow you to accompany me next time I visit Faramir."

She sniffs.

"You promise?"

I nod.

"On my life, cousin- and if he naysays such a suggestion, then I shall suggest that perhaps you might like to accompany me the next time I visit our comrades in Rohan."

Her eyes widen.

"Rohan? But that is... it is so far... and it..."

I shrug.

"With me by your side, you could travel anywhere in Middle-Earth and come to no harm- I promise."

"You promise?"

I smile.

"Only death will stop me."

She bursts into the long-threatened tears and flings her arms around me and I...

I know not what to say.

So I say nothing.

I never do.

Early is fine, more than fine.

Bit caught out to start with, particularly her attitude over her father, but now I love it. Lothiriel's line "Then why must you go alone? Why is it one rule for men and one for women?", reminds me so much of Eowyn.

THANK YOU

Perhaps that's why Eomer got on with her so well? Smile No, seriously, glad you liked it- it was nice to write something out of my comfort zone for a change!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to 2013 - HASA Birthdays