Forum: 2011 - HASA Birthdays

Discussing: August 2012 Birthday Cards

August 2012 Birthday Cards

Birthday folks: Is your birthday in August and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread. To collect your birthday cards in one place, you can create a birthday workshop story.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! Just like the recipients, you can collect the stories you've written in a  birthday workshop story.

And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the 2012 Birthday Cards Challenge.

Here's a short recap on how to do that:

• Add each birthday present as a chapter in your story, using the story name (and the birthday recipient if there is room) as the story chapter. If you can't fit the person's name into the chapter title, just include it as the first opening line in the chapter.
  • Be sure you give each chapter a number and set the status to public so everyone can read it!
  • Since most birthday card stories are pretty short, you might include the birthday recipient's wish for what kind of story she wanted. Paste it from the forum.
  • In your story summary, you can list out who you've written stories for if you like.
  • It's up to you on the order you want to give your chapters - Alphabetical by recipient, order by month chronologically, newest first, etc.

In case you need help or have a comment, question or suggestion, please post it here or send me an e-mail - I'll do my best to help.

August, 4th - Anglachel: My birthday was on August 4th. I want a story about Smaug before we meet him in The Hobbit. As an inspiration, here is what he says about himself:

'Revenge!' [Smaug] snorted, and the light of his eyes lit the the hall from floor to ceiling like scarlet lightning. 'Revenge! The King under the Mountain is dead and where are his kin that dare seek revenge? Girion Lord of Dale is dead, and I have eaten his people like a wolf among sheep, and where are his sons' sons that dare approach me? I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. Then I was but young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong, strong, Thief in the Shadows!' he gloated.

From HASA's Resource Library page on Smaug.

Re: August 2012 Birthday Cards

I have a question about posting to the Challenge. I keep my drabbles (birthdays and others) collected in one story, which goes back to 2007 (and 2007 birthdays) and which I intend to split when it reaches fifty drabbles. Can I just enter that for the Challenge, even if it contains stories from other years as well?

Hi Nath,

I can't/won't give you a definitive, categorical answer, but I think it would be better if you had the stories separate by year. Otherwise, it would be too confusing and unclear, and could become even more so with subsequent years and challenges.

You could create a playlist for each year and enter that into the challenge accordingly. In fact, IMO, a playlist would be ideal for such a case, the more I think on it. What do you think?

Imhiriel

I'll split off this year's drabbles from the existing drabble collection and put them in a separate story, which I'll enter in the challenge- probably the simplest way of doing it Grin

I hope no-one minds that as no-one has requested a "real" birthday story yet I'm still celebrating HASA's birthday?

OK, challenge accepted - you can write me a birthday story. Cool!

My birthday was on August 4th. I want a story about Smaug before we meet him in The Hobbit. As an inspiration, here is what he says about himself:

'Revenge!' [Smaug] snorted, and the light of his eyes lit the the hall from floor to ceiling like scarlet lightning. 'Revenge! The King under the Mountain is dead and where are his kin that dare seek revenge? Girion Lord of Dale is dead, and I have eaten his people like a wolf among sheep, and where are his sons' sons that dare approach me? I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. Then I was but young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong, strong, Thief in the Shadows!' he gloated.

From HASA's Resource Library page on Smaug.

Have fun!

Anglachel

Challenge accepted indeed- watch the skies and guard your herds, for Smaug is mighty! XD

One question; gifts don't have to be drabbles do they. One of the ones I wrote last month is no where near 100 words

It's more a guideline than a rule *g*

Drabbles give people something to aim for, and they can be written reasonably quickly (although that one perfect word can of course take twice as long to find as the other ninety-nine...), but you can write whatever length you're comfortable with.

Here you go, Anglachel- I hope you enjoy it.

The monster's howls drown out ours, but only just.

We flee, but it is like trying to out-run the thunderstorm.

Those who do not fall before his breath are torn to pieces in his jaws, rent asunder by his claws or smashed to jelly by his tail.

His rage is legendary; our slaughter complete and utter.

Dale burns, and the Dwarves burn… the whole world might as well burn, for all we care.

As I run, but one thought blazes through my mind.

This is but the fury of one dragon- one young dragon.

May Eru help us all…

Here you go, Anglachel- I hope you enjoy it.

(Hmm, my message seems to have disappeared.)

Thank you, Aruthir, very enjoyable!

Anglachel

I was not much in the old days, a little worm among the mighty.  And let the record show:  I would have gladly fought for holy Melkor!  I would have joyfully given my life for his glory, but my keepers said I was too small, too weak, too timid.  They kept me chained in Angband for my own good, or so they said.

Hah!  The looks on my keepers's faces when at last I barbequed them!  Oh, those started expressions when sweet little Smaug finally lost his temper, well worth eternal exile.  I can still hear their screams all these years later and I revel in the memory.

Knowing I would be expunged for my acts, I fled from my happy home in the dungeons.  I flew east and hid, cowardly, in the cracks of the Misty Mountains, for in truth I was a coward.  Perhaps I remain so, despite my power. 

Yet of my kind, only I survive in these decadent times.  Melkor my master is gone, all my brothers and sisters are slain, but I still live. Of all the dragons, only I have ever had a pile of treasure to sleep upon:  gold and gems, books and silken pillows. 

This is what my kind was meant to do, but of all of us, only I managed it.

I haven't done so badly for a little worm.

Here's my offering

A True Dragon

He lifted his head, swinging it side to side and scenting the air. It was sharp on his nostrils, tingied with ice. But there was nothing unusual about that, here everything smelt of cold and ice. He sighed, feeling the fire in his chest ache and scorch, wanting to burn. Was this all he could be, a skulker, silent killer, sorry flash in the night.

He bared his teeth in a silent snarl of anger and unfairness. There should be more, there should be worship and gold. Was he not after all, the son of Glaurung and grandson of Ancalagon, the only one with such a pedigree, the hope of his kin. His egg had been missed when Melkor was turned out, perhaps mistaken for a rock. But some damage had been done never the less, for when he hatched his scales where malformed, leaving a bare patch over his heart. Yet in all other respects he was a magnificent heir, his size magnificent for his relatively small age, his scales a chain mail coat of honey-gold. A true dragon...

There was just one thing. He had no treasure, no lair, no fear was inspired by his name. Slowly he blinked, turning his head again. Then he stretched his wings, listening as the joints opened with satisfying cracks. Rhythmically he flapped them, bunching power in his back legs before springing like liquid gold into the sky. Airborne, thinking was easier, the cares of the land disappeared and he thought as a dragon should think.

The land lay out below him like a picture, such as he had heard some of the older dragons talk of when their Maiar halves were conscious. And on the edge of his vision he saw a great towering peak. It wasn't the Ered Luin, or any of the other peaks he had heard of. After a moment the name came to him.

Erebor. The Lonely Mountain.

Home to the Dwarf King... and, he chuckled slightly, his hoard of gold.

Ahhh, the sigh was long and luxurious. Slowly, almost idely, he turned his long body southwards and began to beat his wings in earnest. Now would the Dwarves learn to fear him, create a reputation that would be whispered in taverns with a glance over the shoulder.

And himself, well he would glory in that knowledge and stretch out on his bed of gold and craftsmanship... a true dragon.

Cuinwen and Archeress,

Oh, what fun to log on to the site this morning and find these presents waiting - thank you! They are inventive and wonderful glimpses of Smaug.

Anglachel

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to 2011 - HASA Birthdays