Forum: 2010 - HASA Birthdays

Discussing: November 2010 Birthday Cards

November 2010 Birthday Cards

Birthday folk: Is your birthday in November and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread. Create a birthday workshop story to collect your birthday cards in one place, and enter it into the 2010 Birthhday Cards.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the birthday workshop story the recipient of your birthday card has - hopefully - created.

In case you need help or have a comment, question or suggestion, please post it here or e-mail me privately - I'll do my best to help.

Re: November 2010 Birthday Cards

My birthday is the first of cruel November when the remembrance of long days withers and we steel ourselves for ice to come.  I would like tales of summer-folk to warm me, in particular I'd like to hear of the hobbits' ancient ancestors in the years before Tolkien ever describes them.  Curiosities that plague me include (but are not limited to): 

-Were they hobbit-like from the beginning in Hildorien? 

If so, what was their awakening experience like?  And then, too, conservative and comfort-loving as hobbits are, whatever can have motivated their forbearers to begin the migration west? 

If not, what were they like in the beginning and how did their journey toward hobbit-hood progress? 

-We know they settled down for a time east of the Misty Mountains, but did they have earlier townships even further east?  Was there a grand, lost golden age of hobbithood? A forgotten hobbit empire? 

-In their journey to Eriador, did they have encounters with dwarves, orcs, elves, trolls, ents, et al, which tales they somehow failed to pass on to their descendants?  Do tell.

-Were there great hobbit warriors/innovators/poets at one time?  Give three examples ;)  Any of our favorite characters descended from these?

-Were there special affinities or strain between proto-hobbits and the Valar/Maiar?  If so, illuminate me.

-How did the hobbits discover tea, cakes, roses, mushrooms and their other favorite things?  

I could go on, but that's WAY too much to hope for already.  Brrrrrr.  Better get those flannel sheets on the bed.  I'll be wrapped up in a scrumptious wool blanket, here by the fire, awaiting your wonderful stories. J 

And if none of that tickles your fancy, I would also be interested in seeing the same questions answered for the Drúedain.  Though we don't know what their favorite things are.  What might their favorite things be?

Hello, Cuinwen.  I've tried to write to most birthdays this year, but have fallen off in November and December.  I did write this a time  back, and I'd think it would fit in with some of your desires:  http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter_view.cfm?stid=7976&spordinal=1 .  You might also look through my story "Stirring Rings," as I have descriptions of those Hobbits who came through the mountain passes into Eriador as well as some forays by various folk into the Shire throughout its history--have written through the final battles between Angmar and Arnor so far.

Origins of the hobbits, indeed!  Thanks, Larner!

And you are most welcome!  Joy to you in the new year!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to 2010 - HASA Birthdays