Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Tales Unheard

Tales Unheard

Tales Unheard Come! Gather ye round and spin a tale! Allie

Re: Tales Unheard

Well, since mine is already in progress... Renewal Celebrimbor reembodied in Aman. Allie

Quick question: My story "Afternoon Tea," about a conversation between Pippin and Erestor, has a sequel called "Scarlet Leaves." Both stories are relatively short, but the sequel pretty much depends on its predecessor. Should I submit them together, or as separate stories? Thanks in advance... -Ithiliel

In the story summary of Scarlet Leaves, you could just put "This is a sequel to Afternoon Tea." And naturally, enter both of them in the challenge! Allie

That's what I did at FF.net, so I suppose it will work here. This leaves me niggling about quality, since HASA seems to be more quality-oriented than the dog poo place FF.net. I'll edit and then go ahead and post them. -Ithiliel

I really wouldn't go as far as to call FF.net something like that, even if you did strike it through. I post there; and I've found tons of really good to outstanding stories there. It's just that the percentage of high-quality is smaller in terms of the entire number of stories. But the entire numbers of stories are so high (over 33000 Tolkien fanfics) that one can't help but find great stuff if one has the time to separate the wheat from the chaff. RAKSHA THE DEMON

No hard feelings against FF.net. I post there too... I have far more stories archived there than I do here, and there are a lot of great writers there. The only problem is that there is so much other stuff there, and no way of controlling the quality of works posted, that it can be hard to find good stories to read. Now, I don't flame anyone. I think that's a very rude thing to do. But sometimes I get upset when I stumble across stories that are so morally disturbing to me that I feel like I'm scalding my eyeballs with hot acid. (Well, maybe not that much, but you get the idea.) I wasn't trying to offend anyone, and if I offended you, I am sorry. It was unintentional. -Ithiliel

Ok, here it is: Between Crown and Mantle Eowyn lies on Dr. Gandalf's couch.

It's up and running! Afternoon Tea In Rivendell, after the Council of Elrond, Pippin finds a friend in the least likely person imaginable. -Ithiliel

And the sequel! Scarlet Leaves As autumn begins its decline into winter, Pippin receives an unexpected guest. -Ithiliel

I've just started reading the challenges, starting with "Renewal." It was really wonderful, Allie; not a single extraneous word or description. I also adore your characterization of Nerdenel, all fire and ice but still so self-aware. And I'm glad you tackled Celebrimbor, who tends to get shunted in the unrequited-love category of dark, malevolent Elves. He's one of my favourites.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions