Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Shall They Dance?

Shall They Dance?

Shall They Dance? is up and running! Discuss all stories entered for this challenge here! Allie

Re: Shall They Dance?

I have already started working on making chapters 31-42 ready for beta so that I can participate! Juno

For the Moon to lead, and all the Stars to follow

My greatest difficulty here was in actually picturing my narrator. Considering that Aragorn and Denethor were both Numenorean, and in their eighties (wow!), what would a Numenorean woman of that age look like? At first, I kept picturing that quite elegant little old lady in the foreground of the Bowing-to-the-Hobbits scene. Then, I thought she should be more like Julie Christie in Troy or HP - POA, but that seems to take some of the visual impact away from the story. What do you think? And childbearing ages of Numenorean women - we won't even get into that discussion. Ann

Re: For the Moon to lead, and all the Stars to follow

Quote: And childbearing ages of Numenorean women - we won't even get into that discussion. Why not? That is interesting... if you think about today... with hormones women can have a lot of fun all through their sixties... Eru's Grace for the Numenoreans should be better than hormones and meds! Yours Juno

I wonder how their childbearing years would have been distributed? Early menses, say 14 or so, and continuing on to...what age? Seventy? Eighty? Yet they didn't seem to produce all that many Numenoreans. Seems to me I ran across a discussion on this very topic (the lack of fecundity of the Numenoreans) - maybe I'll look for it again tomorrow. Ann

At first, I kept picturing that quite elegant little old lady in the foreground of the Bowing-to-the-Hobbits scene. Then, I thought she should be more like Julie Christie in Troy or HP - POA, but that seems to take some of the visual impact away from the story. What do you think? Helen Mirren, perhaps? Or someone that type? Maybe an older Emma Thompson? Now I can't remember who else I'd thought of. This is a game I love -- my friend and I needlessly recast classic movies for fun.

Re: Shall They Dance?

I am so jealous of the other two entries. How did you both manage to get such wonderful, evocative, SHORT stories? I have produced a 5000 word behemoth called Midsummer Forfeit wherein Finduilas seizes the upper hand and gets to interrogate that annoying Thorongil for the duration of a dance. Only one of my regular beta readers (Thanks, Marta! ) has had a chance to give me comments, so if you see anything in this that does not work for you, any places where if they 'smile' or are 'amused' one more time you will have to flee screaming, or if my descriptions leave you wondering just what the heck is going on, please let me know! Any and all comments appreciated. I am used to having my prose chopped and shredded by my beta readers, so don't worry about telling me if something does not strike you as 'right'. Thanks. Enjoy! Gwynnyd

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions