Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: All OCs, All the Time

All OCs, All the Time

Hey, all! New challenge, brought to you by Aeneid [edit: and Aliana, who thought up the prompts]! This baby closes a year from now (December 21, 2005), so get to writing those stories! Allie All OCs, All the Time. It would be cool to have a challenge of stories featuring all-original-character casts. No canon characters, except in cameos or minor, minor, insignificant roles. Come on! Write outside your canon-comfort zone and delve into the lives of the little people. But here are a few (hopefully inspiring…) prompts for you to muse on: -- Tolkien has been known to give notoriously short shrift to women and children. What would women's and children's lives be like in various Middle-earth cultures and locations? One idea might be to think about the wives, sisters, mothers, neighbors, and children of minor characters (e.g. Elfhelm, Beregond, Haldir, etc.) -- Is there a story back in "the mists of time" that you have always wanted to hear or tell, but that involves few or no canon characters? -- Think about the people "in the background" in any given scene: hobbits or men at Bree, an elven attendant or musician in Imladris, or stable boys in Edoras, a random orc on the march, for example. What are the details of their lives? What kinds of things do they worry or dream about? -- Explore a place or culture that's not given much "screen time" in the books/films: what is daily life like in Harad or in a dwarven hall, for example?

Re: All OCs, All the Time

Wow, that was fast! And don't forget Aliana, she thought up the prompts. Thanks, Aliana! Aeneid

These are marvelous. I have always been interested in the minor characters, the ones in the background. To quote from an Old West fan fiction story: Gunfighters came and went in blazes of glory and violence that served no true purpose. But Caleb Walker and men like him worked day in and day out with no notice at all to build what really mattered in life. Instead of spilling their life's blood in the streets, they poured it into the land, into the crops they grew and the herds they raised, into the homes they built and the families they nurtured. And while they toiled in the present, they carved out a future by raising up grandsons into men who would do the same. It is the ordinary people who history does not remember but who make the difference in the world. Faramir leads but it is the men who follow him who succeed or fail. Without the farmers, Minas Tirth would not survive. Without the wives who raise the children and care for the animals while the men fight, there would nothing to fight for or return home to. So keep writing and I'll keep enjoying your stories, RiverOtter

Cool...that was fast! And already a bunch of entries! Thanks, Aliana! My pleasure--I love stuff like that. I've seen some of these before, but I can't wait to read the ones I haven't yet seen. Question: can I enter a WiP if I set it to Members Only? Aliana

Question: can I enter a WiP if I set it to Members Only? I'm glad you asked, Aliana, as I have been pondering the same question. A number of my shorter stories (two of which are posted for this challenge) are tied to my Rohirric WiP (which is definitely in this category, as outlined by the first prompt: ...wives, sisters, mothers, neighbors, and children of minor characters). But it isn't going to be complete any time soon - and even when it is I may decide not to send it thru Review just because it's so long (or at least it will be by the time it's complete ), so it would be accessable only by members. What saith the Challenges manager? ~Nessime

Hey Ali and Nessime, I'll wait for Allie to confirm, but I'm almost positive you can include WIPs (setting them to either Members only or Members and Public). The only thing is beta fics won't show up on the public archive until they're either (a) moved to General or (b) accepted into the archive regardless of the challenge. At least, that's how I understand it. But you can definitely include WIP beta fics, as I have Adraefan in a few challenges already. Wheee! Aeneid

Challenge Manager here. Aeneid is right about WIPs being included in challenges just like they are posted anywhere else. RiverOtter

And yea, the CM speaketh. And the second CM here addeth her voice, and saith: "Lo, under the sway of mine nuzgul-flocks, ye shall enter the challenges with any form of Story. With Complete, or Beta; General, or long-unfinished WIP. And behold! The membership shall read, and be enlightened." The CMs beholdeth the new challenge, and saw that it was Good. Allie *who wandereth off to contemplateth OCs*

Thanks guys! I see that Allie takes her job very seriously indeed. Nessime wrote, A number of my shorter stories (two of which are posted for this challenge) are tied to my Rohirric WiP (which is definitely in this category, as outlined by the first prompt: ...wives, sisters, mothers, neighbors, and children of minor characters). Well, that's good, because I was thinking of your stories when I wrote that one. Ali

I see that Allie takes her job very seriously indeed. Indeedeth. Allie

As do I but she is the creative one. My expertise is research and newletters with a side of beta editing. RiverOtter

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions