Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Pub Crawl

Pub Crawl

You open the door to a noisy guest room. "The Prancing Pony" is busy tonight. Have a look around and find out who else is here and what is going on this evening! This is the place to have fun, to drink and to talk - among other things about the Pub Crawl Challenge. What's your favorite pub in Middle Earth? And what's the best drink to be had? Who's the character who got booted from more than one pub for being drunk and disorderly? Heard the latest gossip of Minas Tirith? Let's find a table or a place at the bar and have a nice chat! Cheers, Juno *raising her glass of single malt whisky to you*

Re: Pub Crawl

Nice place, Juno. I'll get meself a pint. cheers, nrink

Perhaps in RL I couldn't go to a pub and order a drink, but I am not so constrained in fiction! ~Allie *raises a tankard* Cheers, folks! [edit: Juno- It is always helpful to have a link to the challenge in the first post. Check out the Hyperlinks in messages tutorial below the text box, and follow the instructions there. It's quite easy: Just take the basic hyperlink, go to the Pub Crawl challenge page, and paste that link where directed. Make sure to replace the [ ] with < > , and the link will work.]

Now I really need a whisky... I am definitely not a techie... but it works! Thanks, Allie! :-))

No problem, Juno! Glad I could help. Here follows my minimalist linking tips. The basic link to use when logged in to HASA (linking to HASA pages only; there are other linking tips as well) is [a href="hyperlink"]Text to link[/a] with the [ square brackets ] replaced with < angle brackets >. The hyperlink is where you put the URL of the page you want to link to, and the Text to link is what you want the link to say. [a href="http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/challenge/challenge_detail.cfm?NGID=307"]Pub Crawl Challenge[/a] is what you would put into the text box, and you change [ square ] to < angle >, the link becomes this: Pub Crawl Challenge. HTH, ~Allie *remembering her own (many) link mishaps...*

THANK YOU. For me the letters html mean h,t,m,l... Gulp. - Juno ( with eternal gratitude)

No problem whatsoever, Juno! Glad I could help! ~Allie

May I add a further refinement to the hyperlink lesson as we're having one? I gather it's more efficient or less load on the server or something (whatever the reason is, I know it's the way Tech Support prefers links to be done) to edit links so that they don't force the browser to re-enter the site completely. You can do this by replacing the "http://www.henneth-annun.net/members" part of any link within HASA with two periods ie ".." so you get [a href=../challenge/challenge_detail.cfm?NGID=307]Pub Crawl Challenge[/a]. with the [ square brackets ] replaced with < angle brackets >. You also don't seem to need to put the quotes around the link. Replace the square brackets with angled ones and you get Pub Crawl Challenge. HTH Cheers, Liz

Thank you again... I am getting really educated here! Yours Juno

Ah, thanks for that, Liz. My html linking knowledge is minimalist, didn't know that. Thanks! ~Allie

I am so happy that there are already six entries! Yours JunoHappy Edit: wondering, wondering...what shall I write...what shall I drink...what shall I wrink...what shall I drite...

Thank you for the ankle marks. It looked so cute and now I have several haiku floating thru my head. Eventually they'll get posted. For now the haiku are bubbling slowly up. I composed two when I was trying to sleep last night. RiverOtter

*raises glass of orange juice* Bottoms up!

Any thoughts on pubs or taverns in Harad? From all I've seen I get a Middle Eastern feel. Since I am doing haiku, I thought a few set outside the boundaries we are familiar with would be a treat. On a similiar note, are taverns, pubs and inns only found in human and hobbit lands? What about dwarven and elven lands? RiverOtter

Hey RiverOtter, Ah, good questions! Any thoughts on pubs or taverns in Harad? From all I've seen I get a Middle Eastern feel. I've been working on a long fic with numerous scenes in Haradrim taverns, and indeed, I've opted for the conventional Middle Eastern/Medieval Persia idea. What I envision is the old Arab smoking rooms - where one could smoke a hookah, with some flavored tobacco or opium. Usually these places were more like cafes, where coffee was served with your hookah, rather than alcohol. Another source of inspiration for my Epic Haradrim Pub Crawl fic has been Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat. Written in 12th century Persia, it's a wonderfully vivid epic poem which celebrates wine and love and passion, etc. Very epicurean, if that's the word. He often speaks of taverns, and so you may get ideas for Haradrim pub culture from him. One of my favorite quotes is this: "Drink wine, it's what remains of the harvest of youth - the season of roses and wine and drunken friends. Be happy for this moment, this moment is your life." Ha! On a similiar note, are taverns, pubs and inns only found in human and hobbit lands? What about dwarven and elven lands? I would say a definite 'yes' to dwarven pubs. And we have movie-verse citations for that, with Gimli's assurance of "rrrrred meat off tha bone, malt beerrrr" when they enter the Mines of Moria. Elves... I dunno. I imagine them having more Italian-type wineries, where you sit and have a glass of Dorwinion. Less your Irish pub, more your Italian vineria. But that's just my own interpretation. Hope that helped! Aeneid Maintainer of Drunken!Boromir Hookah Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I am pulling your comments and adding them to my notes. You have helped in the expansion of my 'Pub Crawl' haiku. So now I need a few Harad, dwarven and even elven haiku to make my contribution complete. Aeneid wrote: What I envision is the old Arab smoking rooms - where one could smoke a hookah, with some flavored tobacco or opium. Usually these places were more like cafes, where coffee was served with your hookah, rather than alcohol. On the smoking a hookah front, my Coast Guard daughter brought a hookah home from her Middle East trip. In fact, she decided on the colors and patterns on the various parts so now she has a custom made hokkah to her father's dismay. RiverOtter

Bah, I can only think of one-line skits for this challenge: Denethor: I am Denethor, Steward of Gondor, and as far as you're concerned I can spank as many serving wenches as I want! Theoden: (with lapful of barmaid) It's good to be the king.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions