Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Downfall of Dol Guldur

Downfall of Dol Guldur

OK, another year-long Challenge of 2003 has been launched.

Canonical or not, most people loved the elven army that showed up in Helm's Deep in TTT - they just didn't belong in that particualar location.

What would the army of Lorien actually looked like? I imagine much more guerilla style and less flashy armor, but no less precision and lethal force.

What do you think? Write it up!

Ang

Re: Downfall of Dol Guldur

Dwin, I think you said to post non-member fics that would fit one of the challenges, right? I found this WIP on ff.net:

Assault on Lorien by Ilmare
http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1100546
Summary: A detailed account on how the Elves of Lothlorien repelled the forces of Dol Guldur during the War of the Ring. From the 1st assault to the meeting of Celeborn and Thranduil in Mirkwood.
Rating: PG

Ying

Yup, post away. Let's us know what's out there. :-)

But a non-member fic cannot be entered in the Challenge itself, remember. Only a member fic.

Ang

Well, I entered the headers, now I need the content.

What would the army of Lorien actually looked like? I imagine much more guerilla style and less flashy armor, but no less precision and lethal force.

In fact, the completely non-canonical Elves at Helm's Deep were sent by Elrond, were they not? Haldir seemed to be there by force of The Powers That Be, because he was the only gorgeous Elf available to die a Glorious Sad Background Music Death.

Lórien and Mirkwood Elves were majorly wood Elves, I imagine them relying more on stealth and well planned ambushes than on great companies in open combat. The old fashioned flashy armour seems like something Elrond would have at Imladris, maybe Círdan too. What do you think?

Actually, I'd say Cirdan was more likely to have it to defend the harbors. Elladan and Elrohir (and probably others in their wake) hunted Orcs through mountains, etc. Don't know that they'd be porting armor unless they were at home, defending Rivendell from attack. Even so, the Last Homely House doesn't sound like the most defensible positions in the world. They probably would have armor from past wars, but I'd guess that the basic tactic was still guerilla style.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions