Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Quickies - Qtr 1 - 2003

Quickies - Qtr 1 - 2003

OK, Quickies for the New Year are up and running!

Lots of ideas, lots of possibilities, lots of avenues to explore. For inspiration, be sure to check out last years' Quickies and see how many ways there are to write about final partings, pyres, and dragon gems.

Looking forward to reading the fantastic vingettes, and hope to add a few of my own,

Ang

Re: Quickies - Qtr 1 - 2003

Just a quick question - is there anyone who doesn't get what the Quickies are all about?

Ang

PS - Dwim, how is that Radagast vignette coming along? ;-)

It's fomenting rebellion among the other plotbunnies in the hopes of getting them to let go of my wrists, so that it can climb the nuzgul hierarchy ladder. But fear not, it shall be written, heh heh....

Just a quick question - is there anyone who doesn't get what the Quickies are all about? ~ Anglachel

Not so much as not understanding what they're all about as having a doubt on one of the proposed challenges: swimming lessons. Does it literaly have to involve swimming lessons?

The underlying irony is that I'm not even going to write about that... pass the oliphaunts, folks!

-----AM

Vikki earned the Fangs-O'-Death award for suggesting two more nuzgul for Quarter 1 Quickies. Adopt them today!

--Beleg searches for Turin atop Bar-en-Darwedh
--Gwindor's thoughts as he escapes from the thrall of Morgoth

Ellipsis, I'm counting on you to write the second one.

AM asked:

Not so much as not understanding what they're all about as having a doubt on one of the proposed challenges: swimming lessons. Does it literaly have to involve swimming lessons?

Yup.

You figure water has a fairly important place in Faramir's life, and Boromir's as well....

And I'm so pleased you're taking on the oliphaunt nuzgul.

The Turin one seems quite interesting.

Does it literaly have to involve swimming lessons? ~ me (Anna)

Yup.

You figure water has a fairly important place in Faramir's life, and Boromir's as well....
~ Dwim

Oh, is it supposed to go the whole "elemental symbolism" route? Then you should probably be thankful I haven't chosen it, because, as someone who devoured the whole of Sir James Frazer's The Golden Bough at age 13, I would probably end up by giving you all terminal mythical boredom ^_^ I'm already injecting far too much Apollonian vs Dyonisian conflict into my long 4th Age fic to drag those elocubrations into the Quickies as well *g*

And I'm so pleased you're taking on the oliphaunt nuzgul. ~ Dwim

I'm going to post a beta version today, as it happens. I have a fixation for elephants only comparable to my fixation for "Harad" (inverted commas used because the various inhabitants of that vast geographical entity, in my view of things, don't refer to it as "Harad" any more than Gondorians refer to Gondor as "North") so it seemed the natural choice.

Incidentally, you may wonder why, given my fixation for "Harad," I haven't read and reviewed your Harad-related fics - my apologies, but the reason for that is that "Harad" plays a very significant role in that long 4th Age fic I mentioned (yes, the one with the Apollonian and Dyonisian human impulses at each other's throats ^_^), and for the (very) long time I have been developing story-lines, background and cultures I have deliberately avoided fics concerning Harad, lest I unconsciously steal from other people's ideas. Happily, according to what Una/Altariel tells me, our interpretations of Harad are quite different. My self-imposed embargo will end when my betas get the definitive version of my material and it thus becomes "writ in stone."

Now there's a great deal of information you didn't need, eh? ^_-

-----AM

Heh heh heh, another "Harad" freak. Yup. I, too, had to come up with some sort of name for them, but I'm so attached to Harad, that my version isn't that original sounding.

But I'm glad to hear you'll be writing more Harad fics, and that you've got a substantially different version from what I suppose is fanon Harad. Insofar as maybe three writers that I know of constitutes "fanon," as it were.

I'll try to squeeze in reading Sand Circle this... um... tomorrow... morning when I close out a challenge. I've been watching it eagerly.

Heh heh heh, another "Harad" freak. ~ Dwim

Guilty as charged. ^_^

But I'm glad to hear you'll be writing more Harad fics, and that you've got a substantially different version from what I suppose is fanon Harad. Insofar as maybe three writers that I know of constitutes "fanon," as it were. ~ Dwim

Whenever two or three are gathered together, fanon is there. But yes, I suppose that my "Harad" is different from fanon "Harad." I actually developed the bulk of my ideas about it back in the time when I didn't even known people actually wrote about "Harad," so it's a felicitous circumstance that my ideas are different. Mind you, I'm a fandom "heretic" in HP (one of my other fandoms), so perhaps my approach to any subject is bound to be peculiar ^_-

I'm glad you want to read Sand Circle. I'm going to retribute the favour by doing something I'd never thought I'd do and read your MS Legomance (when I say "I'd never thought I'd do" I don't mean "reading your fics" but rather "reading a Legomance," of course!).

Schnoogles,

-----AM

Re: Swimming Lessons

My thanks to whoever hatched that little challenge - I would never have found myself writing Boromir and Faramir without it, I suspect. Unfortunately it got a little big for the challenge so I just wanted to say thanks.

Avon

Re: Swimming Lessons

My thanks to whoever hatched that little challenge - I would never have found myself writing Boromir and Faramir without it, I suspect.

[Dwim saunters over to the bedpost and adds yet another hash mark] Score!

You're welcome. It does my evil, vengeful little heart good to know that one of my nuzguling contributions to Quickies found an ankle.

Dwim

I'm glad you want to read Sand Circle. I'm going to retribute the favour by doing something I'd never thought I'd do and read your MS Legomance (when I say "I'd never thought I'd do" I don't mean "reading your fics" but rather "reading a Legomance," of course!).

Oy, missed this one!

I'm glad I read Sand Circle. :-)

And if you read the Legomance thing, you are very brave. I wrote it, and I didn't want to read it, almost! ;-) But it did teach me that hair dye will do marvels to force Legolas into submission....

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions