Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Movie Challenge

Movie Challenge

For discussion of stories entered into the Movie Challenge. You can post comments to this forum when you write your story!

Re: Movie Challenge

Oops, no, sorry, correction:

The only discussions a particular author can link a story to is one that you created for yourself.

*This* discussion can/will be linked to the Challenge *as a whole* for general discussion of the challenge.

Ang

Eep! Ok, I stand corrected. Well, the forum *is* linked to the challenge thanks to recent fiddling. Dwim will get used to the new-fangled with time....

In the Caverns

I just finished reading this, Adrienne. Well done: short and to the point, and rather as I would imagine a Rohirrim woman dealing with her child's sudden conscription.

I loved Théoden's cameo at the end, and the thoughts of your Rohirrim mother: he may have lost his son, but he cannot truly fathom what the women of his realm are losing when their sons are slain. There's a physicality to that grief that he cannot experience first-hand.

Re: In the Caverns

I agree with Dwim. I think you captured the pain of the mother extremely well. It was a very depressing litttle ficlet, and full of the right amount of torment and sadness. And angst, of course.

What is movieverse?

Just to stress at the start I am only musing about this at the moment, but what I would like to know is what exactly is defined as “movieverse” when it comes to the challenge.

Supposing I try to do something for No-self-confidence!Aragorn – the scene at Gilraen’s Memorial for instance - as soon as I start to put myself in the place of Movie!Aragorn I find that I just don’t know much about the poor guy at all. Has he gone on all those journeys, has he served as Thorongil, does he have other Rangers at his command? Who knows? In fact I don’t even know whether Elrond still does or has ever loved him as a son. I even don’t know how old he’s supposed to be.

I think it is sort of implied that Aragorn has been very elf-based around Rivendell and Lothlorien, but there again there is that comment to Boromir about seeing the White City long ago but that’s all I have to go on. So how far can you slip into bookverse background as long as it is not incompatible with the film?

How am I supposed to write about a guy’s thoughts in front of the grave/memorial of his mother (see there’s another problem - did Gilraen die in Rivendell or with her own people?) if I don’t really know a thing about him? Or if I don't have common ground with the readers of the story? I don't want to get bogged down in having to spell out his background as I see it - that is, outside what I'm working on in the fic.

Or am I just getting too hung up about this and I shouldn't worry so much?

(I’m not sure I’ve posted this in the right place – please feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate.)

Re: What is movieverse?

After this little outpouring of angst I have been thinking about this all afternoon and I think I'm going to get round it O.K.

In fact I have definitely been Nuzgalled as far as the Gilraen memorial scene is concerned.

Aragorn direct pov - what on earth do I think I'm doing?! Damned Nuzguls

No no, this is fine.

Rather as with any gap-filler, as long as it ties back into the movieverse and doesn't contradict what you see on screen, you're welcome to fill in with bookverse material where appropriate. I have no idea how Boromir knew from just hearing Aragorn's name that Aragorn was the Heir of Isildur, unless Elrond's been keeping the stewards advised of this matter. :-S

Have fun with Aragorn!

Dwim wrote:

I have no idea how Boromir knew from just hearing Aragorn's name that Aragorn was the Heir of Isildur, unless Elrond's been keeping the stewards advised of this matter.

You're right - this is one that has bothered me no end! The only conclusion I could come up with was that Aragorn is a royal name and could not possibly be borne by anyone other than an Heir of Isildur.

And then, how come Aragorn is immediately accorded lordly respect in Edoras. He does not declare his lineage - even in the scene with Eomer - where was the legend raising out of the grass and the first sight of kingliness may I ask? - it was all like a round of introductions at a tea party!

You're right - this is one that has bothered me no end! The only conclusion I could come up with was that Aragorn is a royal name and could not possibly be borne by anyone other than an Heir of Isildur.

That's one theory. It's certainly poses fewer problems than other possibilities.

As for Edoras, my going theory is that after Theoden chews Aragorn out about who rules in Edoras, Gandalf takes the King of Rohan aside and fills him in on who exactly Aragorn is. That might also explain a bit of why Theoden gets so pissy with Aragorn at Helm's Deep--where was Gondor=where were *you* when Rohan needed help? You want that title 'Lord,' you earn it!

a movie!Faramir story

Found this on ff.net and thought it was perfect for the Faramir challenge. It's not mine. If the author's not a member here, she should be.

_Redemption_, by Teresa Martin:
http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1133861

"Giving Ground" and "Little Hope"

The latest entries into this challenge are paired in my mind, since they deal with what comes after that confrontation in the armory--Legolas and Gimli have a (thankfully non-humorous--I love ya, TTT!Gimli, but there are definite times when I want that Dwarven depth from you) conversation, and Aragorn has an encounter with Hama.

What is essential for me, given the back and forth that can go on between Aragorn and Legolas fans as to which character is most misrepresented at times, is that both fics read the situation properly: Aragorn's angry defiance and Legolas's outburst are both born of despair. It is not a clear-cut situation of "Legolas is right to speak Sindarin" or "Aragorn is right to argue with Legolas"--they are both at some sort of edge, there, and snapping at each other in an inappropriate setting. Legolas may have made the first mistake (look at when all the Rohirrim turn: it's when Legolas says, "They are afraid. You can see it in their eyes!"), but Aragorn made the last one by falling out of Sindarin, or by not moving the conversation elsewhere in the first place. Gimli is the one who comes out a star in this episode, and he richly deserves it.

I think Aragorn's motives are well-explained in Eledhwen's fic. Legolas is trickier though. I like Suzene's Gimli, but Legolas's precise reasons for despairing right then are not quite clear to me. And for Aragorn in Eledhwen's fic, it's not clear to me how I should interpret the movie's conversation with little Hallas/Haleth afterwards. I'd love to hear from either of these authors (or both) and have them talk out what motivates their characters at these points.

This leads me to ask: anyone willing to take up the in situ dynamic of Aragorn versus Legolas, with Gimli standing by? Would this possibly permit of a clearer or more intricate examination of what's going on in that part of the movie? Takers?

Re:

I thought Legolas' reaction was less despair and more the simple frustration of being cornered with nowhere to manuver. Of course, when I think despair, I think moping instead of being wire-tense and ready to snap at the first thing that moves.

Suzene

Re:

And for Aragorn in Eledhwen's fic, it's not clear to me how I should interpret the movie's conversation with little Hallas/Haleth afterwards.

Well, if I remember that bit correctly, Aragorn takes a look at that huge sword (remember people agonising over what sword that could be?), says it's a good blade, and hands it back. Hal-whatever is then reassured that s/he (!) will be okay. Now my memory might be a bit flaky.

So anyway, I thought that Aragorn, after his conversation with Háma (or Gamling, if I change it to be completely movieverse accurate), would be sufficiently positive to want to offer some encouragement to a younger soldier. Perhaps he's remembering his first forays with the Twins, the first time he contemplated killing someone/something, the first time he contemplated his own death. He knows the Rohirrim are scared and lacking morale, and he sees a small opportunity to spread some Positive Thinking. He's getting his mind round the whole being a leader thing, at last. And it's true that from that point on in the movie he does become more positive, especially when the Elves arrive.

Re: Giving Ground

Ah, I see. I read it as despair because that is in fact what Legolas says when he apologizes to Aragorn later on: "Forgive me, I was wrong to despair." And Aragorn replied: "There is nothing to forgive." That last I take as evidence that Aragorn and Legolas share the same fault: Aragorn can't forgive Legolas because he, too, despaired.

Re: Little Hope

So anyway, I thought that Aragorn, after his conversation with Háma (or Gamling, if I change it to be completely movieverse accurate), would be sufficiently positive to want to offer some encouragement to a younger soldier.

I think you're right. Aragorn definitely does want to lift Hal-whatever's spirits (who wouldn't?), and he may indeed be thinking of his first battle with the Twins at his side. That is most definitely a part of it, but I think Aragorn gains something in that talk himself. It's not a one-way exchange of Aragorn giving encouragement--he gets something out of that that snaps him out of depressive mode decisively. That's what I'm getting at when I say I don't know quite how to interpret the Hal-whatever talk in light of his conversation with Hama/Gamling in this fic--I'm missing that reciprocity, I guess, since the turning point comes earlier in "Little Hope." I guess it really depends on how you read that movie scene. :-)

I guess it really depends on how you read that movie scene. :-)

That's the fun of fanfic - playing with interpretations!

It is also the curse of fanfiction: the endless multiplication of nuzgul. [Dwim flees screaming with plotbunnies trailing after her]

I have the bad premonition that this scene will in the end be my contribution to the movie challenge. ARGH!

Dwim wrote:

Have fun with Aragorn!

Well I have had "fun" with him - all over the recent holiday - but my response is finally up.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but I didn't know quite where to ask:

Is there a word-limit on movie-challenges? I started writing on the "What Gimli thinks whenever he makes a joke" and it's mutated into something considerably larger than I intended.

Suzene

Nope, no word limit and you have all year to do it. :-) Write on!

A Few Leaves In The Forest

I've posted my own version of the Battle of Helm's Deep, looking at both Legolas' and Aragorn's argument, and Haldir's death.

They were two areas in particular that I thought needed a closer look.

Jay

Re: That scene

Well, I'm currently trying to write that scene from four POVs - Gimli, Legolaos, Aragorn and a local - as in one after the other. Good chance my readers will fall asleep even if it does work. I'm still struggling with the from GImli's POV scene but I have been distracted by another challenge ;-) Making each one sufficiently different is proving alittle hard.

Avon

Re: Delayed nuzgûl bite

In the midst of working on a longer story the nuzgûl I had shrugged off clamped his teeth down again. I always shudder at how out of character and irresponsible it is for Arwen to hold a sword to Aragorns throat. I finally figured out a way to deal with it.

There, now that I've publicly said it, I'll have to finish writing the blasted thing!

Lyllyn

I finally figured out a way to deal with it.

There, now that I've publicly said it, I'll have to finish writing the blasted thing!

Oh, good! This one should be veeery interesting!

Glorfindel would never have done something like that. And I agree, it was very OC - for both of them. Tolkien described Aragorn (in Gandalf's voice, I believe) as the greatest hunter and tracker of the age, so there's no way even an elf would get away with that kind of a stunt.

Go, Lyllyn! I'm relieved it wasn't me who got nipped by this particular nuzgul!

~Nessime

Glorfindel would never have done something like that. And I agree, it was very OC - for both of them. Tolkien described Aragorn (in Gandalf's voice, I beleive) as the greatest hunter and tracker of the age, so there's no way even an elf would get away with that kind of a stunt.

Nessime,
I agree, it was ridiculous thing for PJ to put in. I did figure out how to deal with why she did it, but for how she could sneak up on him, I have to fall back on the weak "he was too worried about Frodo." All alternate ideas gratefully entertained.

I'm relieved it wasn't me who got nipped by this particular nuzgul!

I'm not! Are you sure you wouldn't like this nice friendly nuzgûl?

for how she could sneak up on him, I have to fall back on the weak "he was too worried about Frodo.

Couldn't you just throttle PJ for some of the things he did? Which breaks my heart because he also did so much that was right!

Frankly I'm clueless to explain how the she-elf could, or even would, do such a thing. If lightning strikes I will definitely share the electric charge with you!

Are you sure you wouldn't like this nice friendly nuzgûl

Not on your life!

~Nessime
*running for her life*

but for how she could sneak up on him, I have to fall back on the weak "he was too worried about Frodo." All alternate ideas gratefully entertained.

How about he knew it was her and let her do it? Or at least knew it was an elf. That's what I thought of when I read the first message on this topic.

Nic

How about he knew it was her and let her do it? Or at least knew it was an elf. That's what I thought of when I read the first message on this topic.

The problem I have is the way his eyes look when he feels the sword. He doesn't look like he knows it's a friend. I do have him realize it rapidly, but not that first instant as on my DVD he looks way too trapped. I can use the lack of terror that the wraiths usually inspire; and he can realize he was depending too much on that while worried about Frodo.

Will it fly? Other ideas?

Lyllyn

well, I did some corrections to a hastily-written story of mine, 'From Shadow to Shadow' is the ambiguous title, and added it for the challenge. It is, I think, my only movieverse story, and not much of a one: based on the proogue scenes of the Last alliance and to one latter scene that somehow kept... haunting... in my subconcius until I had to give a background character a story and personality...

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions