Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Behind Closed Doors—Adult Challenge

Behind Closed Doors—Adult Challenge

Voilà. Many thanks to Tanaqui and Marta for working to get the text together.

Also: anyone here fluent in Legalese? I know disclaimers technically don't mean squat, but I'd still be happy to learn someone knows better how to word these... things...

Re: Behind Closed Doors—Adult Challenge

E mail me privately, Dwim, & I'll take a crack at it.

Regina

Also: anyone here fluent in Legalese? I know disclaimers technically don't mean squat, but I'd still be happy to learn someone knows better how to word these... things...

Depends on what you want. I have a generic disclaimer for "we have no official affiliation with the real copyright holders" that was written by a prominent intellectual property firm of lawyers for the program books of conferences I run. It says:

"This < insert generic name of what this is, web site or whatever > may contain references to well-known tradenames, service marks and trademarks of < insert generic type - computer companies, media firms, book publishing houses, etc >. Their reproduction herein is not intended to suggest sponshopship by or affiliation between, these companies and the < specific name > and no such association exists. These rights are exclusive to their respective holders. "

For my program books it reads

'This Program Book may contain references to well-known tradenames, service marks and trademarks of leading computer companies. Their reproduction herein is not intended to suggest sponshopship by or affiliation between, these companies and the management of MacHack and no such association exists. These rights are exclusive to their respective holders. The management of MacHack does not assume responsibility of the content of the papers or presentations reproduced herein."

I already paid for it some years ago and I give it freely for anyone to use if it suits your needs. It's never been challenged, so I don't know if it would hold up in court or not.

Gwynnyd

Hi Gwynnyd--I'll certainly keep that in mind should I need it! But I'm actually looking more for something that says "If you're underaged and read or participate in this Challenge despite its adult nature, we're not responsible."

Regina has kindly given me a revised version that is more complete than what I had up there, but anyone else who has legal training and especially if s/he knows anything about such matters would be very welcome to tell me what the disclaimer should look like.

Dwim - thanks for getting the challenge up.

The new disclaimer looks good (but I'm no legal expert) - however, it has just struck me that maybe the site as a whole needs that disclaimer? Especially as it appears to be possible to get to adult fics without the "adult content dialogue" appearing (eg if you post a link to a fic from a forum)?

Now, off to wrestle my "consequences of Denethor and Faramir meeting at a brothel" fic into submission.

Cheers, Liz

Hm... Well, if you do click on the title, you do get an adult content dialogue box. I'm not sure how exactly to treat the issue (also not legal mind) of being able to directly link to an adult-content fic in a forum, thereby bypassing the pop-up warning.

I'll put it to the admins whether this seems like a problem that requires to be addressed. Good question, Tanaqui. Good job coming up with this challenge, and good luck with the fic!

Because of the new and improved site, HASA was offline for repairs when this challenge would have closed. In light of that fact, Dwim and I decided to close the challenge Sunday night, to give people time to get their entries in order. So get your story finished, set it to members-only, get your placeholder, whatever sometime in the next day -- I will be moving this challenge to the public side of the site tomorrow evening. Cheers, Marta

D'oh! I have a story in progress that I wanted to enter in this challenge and I've missed it even with the extra two days! Grumble, curse, mutter, grumble. And I was so psyched that there was actually a challenge I could do. Grump, grump. Well, I've got something around 30,000 words worth of fiction I was going to chuck until I realized this challenge would be the perfect use for it. I don't really see much else I can do with it. It's not the sort of thing you want to have written in cold blood without the excuse of a challenge. Phooey. Maybe I'll figure out how this site works eventually.

Hello, Dragonlady7. I'm sorry you missed the deadline for the Behind Closed Doors challenge. The new site has lots of good features, but it does take some time to get used to. One of the features of the new site is the oliphaunt pen. From the Challenges FAQ:
[What is an oliphaunt?] "An Oliphaunt is a Challenge that is 'too big to die'. When a Challenge with at least five stories attached passes its closing date, it is honorably retired but leaves behind the Oliphaunt. Authors may continue to write stories based on the original proposal, but these will be visible only on the member side of HASA. ***** [What is the oliphaunt pen?] "The home of the Oliphaunt, where old, successful Challenges go. Members may continue to adopt Oliphaunts and write stories for which will be associated with the Oliphaunt but not shown with the original Challenge on the public archive. The Oliphaunt is so named because after getting all those entries as a Challenge, it has grown to be a nuzgûl of enormous size. Feel free to root around in the Oliphaunt pen for some great story ideas.
If you are interested, feel free to check out the "Behind Closed Doors" oliphaunt in the oliphaunt pen. You can still associate your story with it. Happy writing, and please let me know if I can be of any further help. Cheers, Marta

Well well. Very interesting. Thank you very much.

If you are interested, feel free to check out the "Behind Closed Doors" oliphaunt in the oliphaunt pen. You can still associate your story with it. Hee, hee, hee! So, DragonLady7, the upshot of Marta's post is that you have *no excuse whatsoever* to avoid letting us read those 30,000 words of yours... I *like* this Oliphaunt idea! - Barbara

Hee, hee, hee! So, DragonLady7, the upshot of Marta's post is that you have *no excuse whatsoever* to avoid letting us read those 30,000 words of yours... I *like* this Oliphaunt idea! It's a good one, isn't it? Because, as Ford Prefect said, "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so." So why should a little thing like a deadline keep you from writing that piece? Sure it's not going with the challenge, but still... Now you guys see why I was so excited about the oliphaunts! Dragonlady7, I want to see this piece! Please, enter it into the oliphaunt. Cheers, Marta

I *like* this Oliphaunt idea! Can I admit that I don't understand the Oliphaunt idea. I also don't understand the Nuzgul hutch or the adoption stuff. I only barely grasp the challenges. NONONO Do not explain. Dwim has done so. Several times. I believe that I left her banging her head against the wall the last time she attempted it. Back to attempting to not crash the new HASA, Lindorien

>"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so." Indeed. The piece in question has been sort of dropped as I pursue an alternate reality of the same event. So... I might work with it, I might not. Mostly, it was an excuse for Eomer to go a-whoring in Dol Amroth, because I thought it would be fun, plus it would advance my misbegotten plot. But the rest of the story wasn't holding together well enough to support it, and since I actually care about the characters... I probably should move on and write a better plotline for them. But still. Perhaps I'll put something up there eventually, as an exercise in amusement value. Since it's behind-the-scenes anyway.

Bridget - glad to see your access problems have been solved! Mostly, it was an excuse for Eomer to go a-whoring in Dol Amroth, because I thought it would be fun OK, now I definitely want to see this piece And I am wondering - is this before or after his marriage (and what are the political ramifications in either case - what do his (prospective?) father and brother-in-laws make of this...)? Cheers, Liz

OK, now I definitely want to see this piece And I am wondering - is this before or after his marriage (and what are the political ramifications in either case - what do his (prospective?) father and brother-in-laws make of this...)? Dang it, Liz, not listening... If Bridget doesn't want that idea, I might, someday. Or it might find a place in a possibly upcoming piece. In any case it will still probably not be written for a while, as I am thoroughly nuzguled. But that idea's very tempting, yes, precious, very tempting indeed... Cheers, Marta

I think it would be rather silly to provide a whole plot summary, but I had actually managed to contrive a plot so that said episode would happen 1) before marriage, 2) at Lothiriel's behest, and 3) at Amrothos's instigation. Yes, it was a pretty formidable plot. However, a tad overblown, and so without the excuse of a Challenge, there's not much incentive to keep hammering on it instead of just starting a new one.

Can I admit that I don't understand the Oliphaunt idea. I also don't understand the Nuzgul hutch or the adoption stuff. I only barely grasp the challenges. Hi. Sorry, it's taken me forever to catch up on threads. This is just a quick note: if anyone is confused by the Oliphaunt, nuzgûl, challenge system, and the FAQs/tutorials are not helping, then please contact either Marta or myself, and we will attempt to spell things out in more detail (and hopefully, with greater clarity). Another option would be to move questions to the Challenge FAQ forum--that's more the place for these sorts of questions than a story discussion forum.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions