Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: A Pirate's Life's for M-e: Corsairs of Umbar

A Pirate's Life's for M-e: Corsairs of Umbar

Avast, me lovely lasses and brawny lads, this here's the challenge. Now go write it or we'll make ye walk the plank!

Re: A Pirate's Life's for M-e: Corsairs of Umbar

All those who have been shanghied onto the pirate ship... um..challenge may enjoy signing up for some instructive courses here:

School of Swashbuckling

At last, the birth of a story idea! (After all, it's my bloody baby, so if I can't come up with something . . .)

Faramir, Eowyn, Legolas, & Gimli (along with the King & Queen) attend Eomer's wedding to Lothiriel in Dol Amroth. Merry & Pippin also arrive as the Shire's representatives. While all lingering afterwards during the post-wedding visit, a remnant of the Corsairs raid Dol Amroth, seeking to kidnap the two queens to force Aragorn & Eomer to treat with them--but instead they bag Eowyn & the two hobbits, much to their discomfort & eventual undoing.

So? Is this a good "Ransom of Red Chief" plotline?

Regina

So...out of curiosity, what does it take for a story to count for this challenge? I'm working on one that certainly has the Corsairs in it, but all they do is spectacularily lose the battle...

Elemmire

PS-So is anyone actually writing any? No entries at all yet?

So... out of curiosity, what does it take for a story to count for this challenge? I'm working on one that certainly has the Corsairs in it, but all they do is spectacularily lose the battle...

I quote the challenge description:

Denethor, Imrahil, any of the Kings of Gondor (after the Kinstrife) would likely have had to deal with them,

This suggests to me that a story dealing with a struggle against the Corsairs, as opposed to from their perspective, isn't necessarily out of the question. Ask yourself this question: besides the fact that they're fighting from ships, are your characters distinguished from the other villains of Middle-earth, say, Dunlanders or Haradrim. If you can honestly answer yes, you've probably somehow portrayed or characterized the Corsairs, in which case I think it'd be fine for the challenge.

PS- So is anyone actually writing any?

I know some people have mentioned on list that they were writing some, though I can't remember a name off-hand. You're right, no one has entered. If you know someone who might be interested, feel free to "suggest" it. I'll even lend you my mithril wrist guards for the job of handling the nuzgul. Not that they help much.

:-E

Marta

So...we've all put our hands up, but less than a week to go and no one's got a story out? Darn...I was hoping for inspiration. My own is going less than quickly, especially now that I'm sick...grr...

Anyways. I'm curious...what are folks writing about? Anybody willing to talk? (Hey...my summaries up, even if the chapters aren't public yet.) Better yet, would anyone like to do a little beta-ing exchange?

Elemmire

PS-Anyone else find that Imrahil keeps trying to sneak into their stories? No! Bad Imrahil! Go back to Dol Amroth! *sigh*...

So...we've all put our hands up, but less than a week to go and no one's got a story out? Darn...I was hoping for inspiration. My own is going less than quickly, especially now that I'm sick...grr...

I got glommed majorly by the brothel challenge nuzgul. So I'm at least partly virtuous.

Anyways. I'm curious...what are folks writing about? Anybody willing to talk? (Hey...my summaries up, even if the chapters aren't public yet.) Better yet, would anyone like to do a little beta-ing exchange?

My intention was to do a story about Imrahil's sea battle against the great big Corsair ship, the one that gets him beached in Ultimatums. I still intend to do that.

PS-Anyone else find that Imrahil keeps trying to sneak into their stories? No! Bad Imrahil! Go back to Dol Amroth! *sigh*...

Well, that could explain why he's not wanting to write a pirate story with me! Imri, you are one fickle rogue!

Elenmire and Isabeau wrote:

Well, that could explain why he's not wanting to write a pirate story with me! Imri, you are one fickle rogue!

I know exactly what you mean. Since Ultimatums, I can no longer think about a Pirate story that does not have Imrahil in it! Isabeau, please write him so he gets out of our stories ;D

I have started writing not less than four version of Pirates, all at different time-frames, different characters, but none of them have worked so far. At first, I wanted to do Denethor, but I am now positively scared of the man (it is such a mental effort to write him, I don't think I'm up to it at this point, being in the process of revising all my other Denethor stories to see if I can make something good out of them). So, having said that, I just think that the premise of Pirates is just so good that I am afraid of messing it up!

Now onto more positive things, the story. I am going back to the beginnings. There is so much political material there that I could not resist to go back and delve further. The Appendices and HoMe give so much little clues that, when put together, set up a very nice scene. We start off with four generations of numenoreans in Me alive at the same time (well, Valacar, the elder is actually dying), and I just had to jump in and see how they dealt with the murmurings against them and the numenorean nobility being diminished. It is just too interesting to see all the denizens of Gondor held in suspense because the King is a last breath away from death and the heir's claims to the throne are widely disputed. Was Castamir right in starting a rebellion? How did he finally broke off from his loyalty to the King? What did the new King do, initially, to quell protests and try to ascertain himself as the 'rightful' heir to the crown?

So many questions, so few answers! Hopefully I'll be able to put all this together in a coherent story. Some times, when I start to write, I go back and stick the Pirates disc on the DVD player, just 'searching' for some inspiration (which doesn't work. I end up watching the film and not writing) I guess I am ready to go back to Jack Sparrow now...

In under the wire... kind of. ;) Fileg and I, with a little help from a friend of hers, have come up with a bit of fluff for the Challenge. Very Beta, so any suggestions welcome (as are volunteers to write whole scenes or more lyrics). We may eventually write the whole thing, but thought it would be fun to at least get something up for the challenge.

flick

Hehehe...very nice.

Elemmíre

PS-Folks think we could convince Dwimordene (or whoever's in charge) to extend the date a few days? Sounds like most of us could use a little bit more time...

Flick and fileg,

Eeee! As somebody who wrote her master's thesis on Gilbert and Sullivan, I got a HUGE kick out of this. Especially loved that you managed to fit in references to lots of other works besides the obvious one (the Pirates of Penzance)...who knew that G and S and Tolkien had such an affinity for one another?!

Well done, and thanks for the laughs.

Elemmíre wrote:
Hehehe...very nice.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was fun to think about.

JeannieMac wrote:

As somebody who wrote her master's thesis on Gilbert and Sullivan, I got a HUGE kick out of this...Well done, and thanks for the laughs.

Thanks! Ooh, a master's on G&S -- what fun! As an expert, notice that the offer to write lyrics and add to our little operetta-in-waiting is always open. So if inspiration strikes...

flick

Just to let others know who are interested: "Pirate's Life for M-e" has at this time four stories entered under it. One more is all it needs. At the moment, it is occupying the Nuzgûl Hutch, should you want to see it.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions