Forum: Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges

Discussing: Eomer

Eomer

Okay, you got me on this one Dwim! Dratted nuzgul!

I've seen a number of reactions re: Eomer and a MS. Most seem to think a serious MS just isn't possible, in part because we all know that he marries Lothiriel after the Ring War. Or, if it is serious, it would have to be tragic, an unrequited love.

My thought (inspired by a previous nuzgul attack) focused on the years before the Ring War, when Eomer is just a young thing. Does the term, "puppy love" ring any bells? Who says it has to get all hot and steamy to qualify as romance!

Going to purchase Nuzgul repellent!

Nessime

Re: Eomer

sounds alright, but I still don't understand why Lothiriel herself can't be the Mary Sue...

Kate

I don't know either, since so little is written about her in LotR. It's always fun to imagine "the rest of the story". That's the path my first nuzgul attack has taken me down with an OFC and a certain character named Garulf. "Discovering" the history of some of these characters is rather fun!

Nessime

Hey, no one said you couldn't do Lothiriel, since she is simply a name in the appendix and utterly lacking in personality there.

But if you want to do Eomer as a young thing, go right ahead. I'll cackle evilly either way.

sounds alright, but I still don't understand why Lothiriel herself can't be the Mary Sue...
Sure she can be. Heck, even Eomer could be (a MaryStu) though that would be much more difficult.

It's not a MarySue (I hope) but I'm writing a little piece of frippery here
about Eomer and Lothiriel.

I've only written a couple of stories but at times every one of the characters I write about possesses self-inserted characteristics but I would hate to be any one of those characters all the time.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges