Forum: Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges

Discussing: Denethor

Denethor

If I have to make him laugh, surely someone *else* can make him fall in love with someone other than Finduilas in a realistic manner. I dare you.

Re: Denethor

Una sicked a Nuzgul on me, but I'm not sure the OFC in question would qualify as a Mary Sue, however defined, even if I eventually write the dratted story.

Besides, I'm trying to persuade the CtL muse to come work on a chapter that's been stalled for several weeks. Let me get Denethor paired off with Finduilas first and then perhaps I'll be able to go back to his earlier years...

Cel

You could have Denethor have a younger mistress, who is in love with him, but is just a convenience in his eyes. Tons of angst potential, especially if Boromir finds out and gives him hell for emotionally abusing one of his childhood companions and/or first kiss.

If I have to make him laugh, surely someone *else* can make him fall in love with someone other than Finduilas in a realistic manner.

Hmm... making it realistic will be the toughest part. Something tells me that Denethor isn't exactly the prime candidate for err... romantic-type stuff.

I dare you.

Ah, and how many times have those three words been my downfall? I'll commit to writing something short (one or two chapters at the most), though I'm not sure if it could even qualify as romance, the way I've got it planned right now. Oh well...

~Aralanthiriel

Wait a minute - are you suggesting Denethor's mistress would be a woman Boromir had grown up with and perhaps kissed himself? Oh dear... I'm not sure I can handle that one. Someone else want to give it a go?

Cel

Don't old rich guys who have mistreses usually go for women young enough to be their daughters? A special assistant, from a better family, who might have gone to school with or known Boromir when they were teens. She works in the palace and has an apartment that is discretely accessable to Denethor. Somehow, Boromir or Faramir find out and Boromir confronts his dad.

You write this one, Mike! Clearly you have the interest in it... surely you can write a female Mary Sue even if you're of the male persuasion yourself?

Cel

I'll second that request! It would certainly be interesting to see your take on this, Mike! After all, the OFC challenge isn't just restricted to female writers, y'know.

~Aralanthiriel

Cel, Aralanthiriel - don't think you can get out of this one so easily. I'd like to see all three of these stories.

Message: Cel, Aralanthiriel - don't think you can get out of this one so easily. I'd like to see all three of these stories.

Heartily seconded. Mike, you're included--now that you have spoken up and provided a scenario, we want to see it.

And Una, I'd say that you're not wriggling out either, but that'd be a bit ungrateful of me, now wouldn't it? Still... it'd be interesting.

I abstain from this one completely. I have a pass. I don't have to write Denethor until Una writes smut.

*sigh* When does the Challenge expire? Early March? Maybe I'll get around to it by then... would be a good birthday present, following Hobbit custom.

Cel, trying to write nasssty syllabi instead of stories

I'm already working on characters, sets and scenes. I hope I can keep it short.

"No Mike, say you will keep it short." Mike' s inner voice said.

Yay! I can't wait to read it, Mike! :-)

~Aralanthiriel

"No Mike, say you will keep it short." Mike' s inner voice said.

Mike, squash that annoying inner voice right now!

Kidding, kidding! I know how that goes w.r.t. long stories. Excellent--two Denethor fics coming up, at least.

I should say, btw, that if I manage to write this, on time or not, I am not sure that the character would be an actual Mary Sue according to the various definitions floating around elsewhere in this discussion. But she will be an OFC, at least, if that is sufficient qualification.

Cel, who merely tries to write realistic and plausible characters without worrying about how to label them

Weeeeell, Auntie Ang knows who else Denethor would fall in love with, but it would be rather depraved to spell it out.

I say he married Finduilas because he wanted to please the person he really loved. And then (to his surprise), fell in love with his wife.

So, no Denethor MS romance from this quarter. I've got Bilbo and Gimli to write up.

Ang

Perhaps my brain is on autopilot after grading a lot of - entertaining - student exams, but I'm missing the implication here... do spell it out for the terminally confused among us.

Cel

You'll just have to wait for my long promised, long put off F/D fic. And, no, I do *not* mean Frodo.

Toodles

Dwim wrote:

And Una, I'd say that you're not wriggling out either, but that'd be a bit ungrateful of me, now wouldn't it? Still... it'd be interesting.

Woman, you are incorrigible! You've already set the Faramir/MS plotbunnies on my throat, I fear for my sanity should a Denethor one attack! Anyway, Denethor only had one true love in his life, and that was Gondor. It doesn't make for soft-focus romance.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges