Forum: Domain of the Dúnedain

Discussing: Nuzgul-flinging the Dúnedain Way

Nuzgul-flinging the Dúnedain Way

You knew this was coming, I'm sure, and some of you are probably wondering why I didn't think of this before. HASA has recently had several challenges that either deal exclusively with the Dúnedain or could be written from that angle. To better makeyou aware of HASA's writing opportunities, I'll publicise some nuzgul and challenges that Dúnedain-fanciers might find interesting. First the challenges. ***** Quickies Qtr II. Many entries are Dunedain-related: - Write of the meeting in which Beren, Steward of Gondor, met with Saruman to surrender the keys and the maintenance of Orthanc to the White Wizard. - Eldarion's first official act as king after Elessar's death. - Elros' thoughts upon first making landfall on Numenor ***** Son of Ecthelion Challenge. This is the mother of all challenges (in one sense or another) for us Denethor-lovers. Write a story addressing two key areas of Denethor's life out of a list of seven drafted in the "Deconstructing Denethor" forum. And you've got almost a year to do it. ***** New Members Challenge 2004-2005. If you've published less than three works or been a member for less than four months, why not take a crack at Isildur stealing Nimloth'sfruits? ***** With One Voice. Maybe not everyone was so thrilled to have Aragorn as king? Lots of room for both North Kingdom and South Kingdom fics here. (If you play your cards right, this could work for the "Eldarion's first act as king" Quickies prompt as well.) Marta

Re: Nuzgul-flinging the Dúnedain Way

Now the nuzguls. ***** A Kindler Gentler Denethor Nuzgul. This is just like "Son of Ecthelion," only you have to write about all seven areas, not just two. ***** Aragorn's Bride. This is a great little AU challenge for all you Aragorn fanciers. Who would Aragorn have married if he hadn't fallen in love with Arwen? ***** Broken Sword. Here Dwim asks the eternal question: What the heck was the last of Isildur's line doing wandering through the wilderness with a perfectly lovely but perfectly useless broken sword? ***** Denethor: L'enfant terrible?. Many people have a hard time picturing Denethor as a child. If you have an idea about him, why don't you write a story for this delicious nuzgul? Even if you can't, we'd love to see you try. ***** Grey Company. How was the Grey Company formed? A total of thirty men, taken from numerous patrols. So who replaced them? What was the story of those replacements? ***** Harvest Home Onlist Challenge. This challenge looks at, among other things, how the Ring War affected that first growing season. Anyone want to take on how Gondor dealt with the damage to the Pelennor? It's only 1500 words. ***** Lord Arathorn... It's a Girl!. What would have been different if Aragorn would have been a daughter instead of a son? ***** The Chosen... Or Not. How would life have been different if Gondor hadn't accepted Aragorn as king? ***** What Happened to Earnur. n 2050, the Witch-king challenged King Eärnur to single combat shortly after Eärnur became king, "to make good his claim to the throne." Earnur rode into Minas Morgul and was never heard from again. So what exactly happened to him? ***** What's in a Name?. Write a story about how a canonical character got his or her name. While not restricted to the Dunedain, there's a lot of potential here. Aragorn in himself could probably qualify about 17 different stories. ***** And that's it. Shall I do the oliphaunts tomorrow? Or are we all sufficiently bitten? Marta

Marta, I do hope your evilness extends to doing this in the "Riders of the Mark", "Hobbiton" and "Dwarvish Havens" forums? Just so they don't feel left out, you understand... Much relieved to see that I have already been bitten by anything that 's going to bite me (but then, you've alrready tried setting most of these on me in private). And that I can enter an already written story in one of these Cheers, Liz (who is constantly amazed at the new levels of evilness to which Marta can aspire)

Marta, I do hope your evilness extends to doing this in the "Riders of the Mark", "Hobbiton" and "Dwarvish Havens" forums? Just so they don't feel left out, you understand... Quite possibly. But I want to contact those forum owners first before I step on their toes. Much relieved to see that I have already been bitten by anything that 's going to bite me (but then, you've alrready tried setting most of these on me in private). And that I can enter an already written story in one of these Ah, so I see we need fresh blood. Dwim and I may see if we can think of a few Faramir nuzgul to throw your direction. (who is constantly amazed at the new levels of evilness to which Marta can aspire) Aw, shucks... you're making me blush. Marta

Quite possibly. But I want to contact those forum owners first before I step on their toes. There's already a "hutch" thread in "Riders of the Mark". No toes to be stepped on, I did that for you already. See, this is why being a CM is a good thing: you may fling nuzgûl with impunity and are not bothered about things like bruised toes. ;-) If the forum didn't want nuzgûl, it wouldn't provide such an enticing target, now would it? It's all about blaming the victims in this case, Marta.

Dwim and I may see if we can think of a few Faramir nuzgul to throw your direction. Do you want any more Faramir smut, Marta? Because the Faramir and Eowyn sequence is definitely the least urgent of the nuzguls I currently have caged. I can certainly put them all right at the back of the barn if you're bringing me some new fangy friends to look at .... *bats eyelashes innocently* Cheers, Liz

To better makeyou aware of HASA's writing opportunities, I'll publicise some nuzgul and challenges that Dúnedain-fanciers might find interesting. Ahh...I knew when I read the topic header for this thread, that it was definitely and "enter at your own risk" thread. What lovely nuzguls to add to the swarm hovering over my head. Cheryl

Can we fling original Nuzguls that haven't been suggested anywhere else here? (ow ow ow ow ow) Please?

Can we fling original Nuzguls that haven't been suggested anywhere else here? Oh, sure. But why stop there? Give it a name and a description, and you can submit it yourself using the handy dandy form that Ang put together for us (thanks, Ang!). Or if you need help wording it you can contact the Challenge Managers and we'll help you out with it. But yes, to answer your question, you can surely promote it here. (ow ow ow ow ow) I promise, the first one hurts the most. Eventually you stop feeling the fangs altogether. Marta

Well, I was thinking more of finding a place to discuss a possible one... I may try out the form, though. the first one If only this were the first one! It's just my first one in this forum.

Well, I was thinking more of finding a place to discuss a possible one... I may try out the form, though. Well, if the nuzgul is specifically Dunedainish, then we could always discuss it here, but on second thought I'd rather keep this thread more or less straight nuzgul announcement. But we could surely start another thread to discuss potential nuzgul. The more the merrier. And if I can be of any help, you know where to find us. If only this were the first one! It's just my first one in this forum. Excellent. Just out of curiosity, what nuzgul bit? Marta

I got bit by about 8 Nuzguls tonight during an IM conversation with the irrepressible Gypsum. The one I was wishing to fling, I attempted to do through the Suggest A Challenge form just a bit ago. I have no idea if it worked, however. I clicked "submit" and it simply cleared the form-- there was no confirmation screen or anything. I'm not going to submit it again unless I can be sure it failed the first time, because it wasn't interesting enough to submit twice. It was an Aragorn/Thorongil one-- Aragorn contemplating Thorongil's departure from Gondor, 40 years later, as he prepares to return, and realizing he's royally screwed because Denethor thought he was a punk then, thinks he's a punk now, and is totally going to make trouble. (He can't possibly know that Denethor is going to self-immolate in The Most Convenient Plot Twist Ever.) But you're right-- this thread should probably be for straight nuzgul announcements. I shall take my fangs and go to bed.

DL7: It worked. I just dropped your nuzgûl into the Hutch. And don't hesitate to use the thread to work nuzgûl out. So long as you announce that there *is* one, I'd personally be ok with it. Sometimes that can help gain interest in them, thereby helping to acquire writers for them... But if a second thread is felt to be more useful, then by all means, start a second thread.

That one bit me but good and I was up until like 4:30 getting a good start to it.

Based on the theory that there are entirely too many Denethor and Aragorn nuzgul in the hutch... ***** For two characters coming from such radically different backgrounds, Faramir and Elrond actually have a lot in common: * Elrond lost both of his parents when they sailed to Valinor, and his brother when Elros chose mortality. Faramir lost his mother at a young age, and his brother and father in the Ring War. * Both are lore-masters. * Both are acquainted with Mithrandir. * Faramir leads a corps of rangers fighting orcs. Elrond's sons have been fighting with a corps of rangers against the orcs. * Both had the wisdom to know the Ring must be destroyed. So just what would they have talked about when they met after the Ring War? Elrond surely has some good advice for Faramir to help him move beyond the pain the War had caused him. What did Faramir have to offer Elrond (some sort of reconciliation with Pippin? wisdom concerning Arwen's choice?) ***** Check it out: "Lord of Men, Lord of Elves." Cheers, Marta

Going to go ahead and fling out a nuzgul since it keeps bugging me, but I don't have the time to satisfy it at the moment. What was going through the minds of the Edain and Druadain that first set foot in Numenor after the War of Wrath? What was going through Elros' head as he lead them and became king? I do have a topic posted over at the Prospective Challenges forum (called 'First Impressions'), but thought I'd share here too. Happy running! Arquen

The Children of Minas Tirith are here to talk to you... From Dean (aka Ranger1), with love.

AH! NO! EVIL NUZGUL! EVIL DEAN! EVIL DWIM! EVIL!! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! Arquen *Who is busy running to protect her ankles*

And they just keep coming. You'd think I'd planned this, but I swear, I didn't! HASA reader Call Me Ishmael has, as a token of affection and gratitude, surely , issued the following challenge: Life in a Northern Town. (The title is mine, since one wasn't included, and technically it'd be any underdescribed area of Eriador, but I can't resist cheezy eighties music references.)

AH! NO! EVIL NUZGUL! EVIL DEAN! EVIL DWIM! EVIL!! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! Arquen *Who is busy running to protect her ankles* Just remember, Arquen, that that which does not kill you makes you stronger, if for no other reason than the excellent cardiovascular exercise provided by such activities as running for cover.

Can't...breathe...but...can't...stop...Nuzguls...will...eat...me...GASP! Arquen

*throws Arquen some dragon skin boots (with mithril toecaps) - highly recommended for Nuzgul fending-off* Avon

Ooh, now I wrote a first draft of something back in January that fits the Children of Minas Tirith nuzgul (although at this rate it won't be finished till January 2006 ) Nic

Ooh, now I wrote a first draft of something back in January that fits the Children of Minas Tirith nuzgul (although at this rate it won't be finished till January 2006 ) Adopt a plotbunny--it'll keep you warm through the year of writing. Here are some complimentary iron supplements, free of charge, to go with that adoption certificate...

Note to self: stop reading this forum. Just stop. Beleaguered would-be writers with too many unfinished stories have no business becoming obssessed with new ideas. *sigh* I could work in the life in a northern town bit into a WIP... she said optimistically. cheers, Maya

*throws Arquen some dragon skin boots (with mithril toecaps) - highly recommended for Nuzgul fending-off* Thanks Avon! They helped...for now... Arquen

Note to self: stop reading this forum. I think the trick to stop nuzgul biting is to avoid anything that might give you ideas. So that would be any section/forum/thread that mentions challenges or nuzgul. And the HA list. And the films. And the books. And, possibly life too. Hmm, could be tricky Or invent a time machine that gives you more time to write. Nic

Namesakes challenge

New challenge Namesakes is up! Lots of Dunedain-related topics in this one. Go check it out at the challenge, and suggest more namesakes for the list at the thread . Cheers, Meril

The First Journey in the Dark

I weep to call myself an Aragorn addict when I've managed to overlook this succulent plotbunny for more than a year! The First Journey in the Dark can now be adopted by all of you ensnared in the Classifieds thread. Have fun!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Domain of the Dúnedain