Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Children's Poetry Challenge

Children's Poetry Challenge

Hullo everybody.

I'm kinda new to these parts and so I'm a bit shy about opening a new challenge. What the heck, right? I'm just gonna hold my nose and jump. What's the worst that could happen? Well, best not to contemplate that just now...

Well, here it is: I think it would be sweet and perhaps a bit of fun for us to write a little poem, or fairytale in the form of a poem for the young 'uns. Think of yourself as ME's Mother Goose, or The Brothers' Grimm, if you prefer.

Take the character(s), place(s) or event(s) that you like best and write a verse that the rug-rats--ooops, I mean the little darlings, would find enchanting. If you don't want to write about people or events that we already know, make some up! Write a poem about a naughty little boy from Rohan who teases the hoarses and puts ink in peoples tea! Or a Hobbit cobbler with a penchant for liquorish!

Well, there it is. Please don't hurt me.

Lasbelindi

Re: Children's Poetry Challenge

I think this would be a great challenge! Now, we just need five vict-er, volunteers.

I don't think one would require a particular knack for poetry, though it would be good... and it would be great fun, too.

Thanks for responding, Klose. I'm just a little unsure how to go about generating interest for this little challenge. Any suggestions?

Lasbelindi

Hi Lasbelindi!

I agree that this would be a very interesting challenge. There's a lot in LotR that lends itself very well to this genre. I recall Gandalf reminding Theoden that any child of the Rohirrim would have immediately known who and what the Ents were. A lot of people forget that in RL nursery rhymes and fables are based on some very adult topics.

Posting it here is a start. Starting a thread at HA can get people interested, especially if you can give them an example of what you mean. I had a discussion a while back that started with a question about shoeing horses and eventually got around to the old nursery rhyme:

For want a nail, the shoe was lost;
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost;
For want of a horse, the battle was lost;
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Not many people remember that this refers to Richard III and the Battle of Bosworth. Remember Shakespeare's immortal line: A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" from Richard III.

Sorry for going on like this, but Tolkien's writings are replete with stories that could be written as children's fables or rhymes just as this one example was in RL. All people need to do is pick one and write it in a style suited to an audience of children.

I'm amazed no one thought of this before. It's a really great idea.

~Nessime

I absolutely love this idea, Lasbelindi! I think it would be a very much piece to write, and very emotional/tender/sweet/evocative/nostalgic... for those of us who remember the stories we were told when children.

Now, I have a few questions regarding content: Will we be writing poetry, fairy-tales, bed-time stories, nursery-rhymes, or a combination of all those? If we do that, does the story have to have a moral (as is usually the case with these stories) or could it be just for entertainment's sake? And, when we have the story written, do we also give the interaction between story-teller and child, or 'the' story should be enough? I guess, my question is, do we focus in the way the character tells the story, or do we focus in the story?

We did something similar for Cirdan's b-day, when she requested that she wanted Middle Earth fairy tales. Most of the stories where adpatations from the stories we all know and love, with their ME equivalents, but Cirdan wanted to see the story-telling style reflected in what we wrote. It was most fun!

So, I am already thinking on my stories... I'd love to see Galadriel telling bed-time stories to Celebrian, or perhaps Theodwyn teaching Eomer how to ride a horse for the first time, or Finduilas' tales to Faramir... How did elven children learn their alphabets (whichever you want), and what about that tale of the bearded-dwarven lady?

I love your focus for this, Nessi! I'd love to read the ent rhyme for rohan children! Or, those rhymes that they used to teach ent children about the rest of the races in ME! There are so many things to teach the children about! Fables would also be a very interesting topic.

Well, I'm already hooked on this challenge... I love the idea!

Wow! Who knew? Not Lasbelindi!

I'm thrilled that you are interested in my silly, little notion!

I'll try to answer your questions, but I guess I hadn't thought about it in the detail that Starlight was discussing. Now that I have, I think it would be best to keep the subject of the challenge to children's poetry/nursery rhymes. If the author would like to add a little intro with Galadriel putting her children to bed, or Samwise sitting his little ones down by the fire, I think that would be more than sweet, but the focus should be on the verse that is being read rather than on the goings on beforehand. Also, it should not be a children's story, but a children's poem or song. We can't really sing to eachother very well around here, but if the author/composer says it's a song, then I suppose it is!

The subject matter should be limited only in that it deals with ME. There should also be no limit to the length of the verse. Just write us a poem or sing us a song that you might have liked before you grew to be a (wo)man and put away childish things, as the song goes!

I think I'll go ahead and start a thread at HA and see what turns up. If anyone has any more questions, please let me know. I will do my best to get back to you right away.

Sorry to chew your ear off. I think that's just my nature.

Thanks very much! Now, I am more clear about how the challenge goes. Very well, then, I think the nuzgul won't give me a moment's peace now until I've written the tale so, I'm off to try to recollect whatever nursery rhymes I've ever heard!

Thanks for proposing this challenge, Lasbelindi!

No problem Starlight! It's very nice to make your acquaintance, by the way! If you can, try to let some others know about the new prospect we have created here okay? I'm off to HA to start the thread.

Don't let the little fiend bite you!

Lasbelindi

Also, it should not be a children's story, but a children's poem or song

I have to confess that I'm puzzled by this as in your original post you mention challenging writers to be the Mother Goose or the Brothers Grimm of Middle-earth. One did indeed write verse, but the other wrote stories, so I'm not sure I understand the reason for placing this limitation on the challenge. IMO this will limit the response you'll get.

But that's just my opinion. I'm just curious as to the reason.

~Nessime

P.S. Might it work to have two separate categories: one for stories and one for poetry? I'm just thinking of broadening the appeal for the challenge. It's your call.

P.S. Might it work to have two separate categories: one for stories and one for poetry? I'm just thinking of broadening the appeal for the challenge. It's your call.

Absolutely! Excellent idea, Nessime. That way, nobody will feel too limited. That's how we should write the challenge. It's really two challenges if you think about it, but I don't see why we can't smash them together into one. Is that a feasable idea? Your thoughts?

I'm waiting to get the idea really fleshed out before I make an announcement at the HA posting board. I also figured that it would be best to make the announcement during the week when lots of folks are around. Again, your thoughts?

Lasbelindi

Hi again!

I have to admit that I looked at the subject line again after I posted my last comments and realized that you'd titled it "Children's Poetry Challenge" *duh!*

But I do still think that the appeal would be greater if there was an opportunity for both poetry and prose to be entered. I would imagine that parameters should be set as to length (no more than a couple of pages perhaps) and I agree that the story should be the focus, not who is telling it or to whom.

I don't see why it can't be one challenge - I have seen others with sub-categories like this. Authors could simply state in the summary whether it's in response to the poetry or to the prose category. Would that be too confusing?

I'm so pleased that you thought of this in the first place. As I said before, Tolkien referenced this idea numerous times, so it should be fun to see just what people will come up with in response to this!

~Nessime

Hullo Nessime!

Great! I didn't know that there could be sub-categories to a challenge. You're also probably right about limiting the length of a story or poem. Maybe something like a 10-15 page limit; something that could be used as a one-shot bedtime story or poem.

I'm pleased that you're pleased about the idea. You see, in one of my fics I have one of the characters recite just such a poem, and I thought, "Hey! Now there's an idea!" You know the rest. Since we've been discussing the idea, I wrote a really funny one last night. I'll e-mail it to you if you want. I think you'll get a kick out of it.

Talk to you soon.

Lasbelindi

P.S. I recently learned that you and I have a mutual friend. Thevina and I have been e-mailing a bit and she mentioned that you two were talking also. She's a peach, ain't she? I told her about our little idea, and I'm waiting to hear if she can write something for the challenge.

P.S. I recently learned that you and I have a mutual friend. Thevina and I have been e-mailing a bit and she mentioned that you two were talking also. She's a peach, ain't she? I told her about our little idea, and I'm waiting to hear if she can write something for the challenge.

As Thev would say, Woot! I e-mailed her last evening re: her story and mentioned this challenge with a hint or two that she should take a look at it, and now I find that you've suggested it to her as well. Do you think she'll be able to resist both of us?

I look forward to reading your poem. I have no talent for writing poetry myself, so I truly appreciate those who do. It's like music - I don't write it, but as a singer I merely "...give voice to what others have written..."

*Meeting* other people who share a love of Tolkien's creations and combine that with a love of creative writing is one of the things I sincerely appreciate about HA.

Bletsung and freod!

~Nessime

aiya ilya

I have been swamped for time but peeking in at this. If you need a count for this challenge - I will play. I have been smacking something around that I was hoping to fit in elsewhere, but it would have required a sledgehammer - strangely, this is a challenge it would actually suit!

gaudete

You've managed to make me very curious, Tay! Looking forward to see it!

Fabulous everybody! I do, in fact, think I need a count. I haven't yet made an announcement at HA, but I'll do so later today when I'm sure lots of folks will be around to see it.

Okay, so far I think we have three for sure. That's Starlight, Powzie, and me. Possibly Nessime? She says she doesn't write poetry, but how about a little prose, eh? Nessime? Sweety-darling? Can we count you a fourth? If so, we will only need one more person to make this a real challenge, by gum! I'm very pleased. I know I can rook someone into this!

Well, spread the word!

Salute!

Lasbelindi

Sure, sure! Count me in! I think this little nuzgul has potential to bite many of us. In fact, I could not resist and just put all other thoughts aside and started on my little piece for this challenge.

Good luck writing, everyone!

I have a piece in Beta that I seriously need input on before I decide to spend any time reworking it for this challenge. Can you peek? It is very short!

many thanks
fileg-powzie-tay

We've got Lasbelindi, Starlight and Tay confirming their participation. That just leaves two more people. Anyone else interested?

Count me in too.

~Nessime

Woohoo! One more! Come ooooooon boys and girls! Come play with us. Oh, you're no fun anymore! heh,heh.

I haven't heard from Thev yet, Nessime. Have you?

Lasbelindi

BTW, I took a look at the poem, Tay. It's adorable! It will make an excellent addition.

Lasbelindi

Hey, Lasbelindi!

I love the sound of this! Writing M-E based fairy tales or fables... I tend to write sweet stories like this anyway, so you can definitely count me in!

~ Evening Nightshade

This sounds like a great idea. I already have an idea...

You can most definately count me in too!

Great, guys! This is exciting... I'll be looking forward to read your rhymes!

Oh, and Tay, I loved the poem! I'll go comment on your thread.

Well, look at this! It's a challenge, by golly, by gosh! I will contact Klose and we'll get the game underway!

Thanks everyone. I was really nervous about putting this thing out there. The response has boosted my confidence tremendously. Soon I think I'll need a wheel-barrow in which to carry my head about! Hey! That's a good one! I think I feel a poem coming on...

Lasbelindi

This Challenge is now live.

Please go here to continue discussion.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges