Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Arwen, Warrior Princess

Arwen, Warrior Princess

So lately TORN has had some pictures and articles about how Arwen was initially meant to be at Helm's Deep in TTT, and that got me thinking. Luthien did LOADS for Beren. Sure, he had to go on a quest to prove he was worthy of her hand, but she helped him out in so many ways. If I remember correctly (a lot of my Silm didn't exactly stick) Idril did her bit to help Tuor out on his quest, too. What does Arwen do for Aragorn? She makes a banner for him. Big deal.

Here's my challenge/nuzgul: Arwen needs to do more to prove she's worthy of joining the ranks of Luthien and Idril/worthy of Aragorn. Does she join the fellowship in an AU? Does she convince Elladan and Elrohir and the Rangers to ride south and take her banner and much needed aid to Aragorn? Something else? You decide. This story needs to be written, but not by me, because I totally don't have a handle on the characters or the possibilities.

Re: Arwen, Warrior Princess

Or why not something that takes place before LOTR? Someone else of vourse:-) Arwen is not my cup of tea either

Hey there!

Yes, Arwen did nothing like Luthien or Idril. But that doesn't really bother me because I'm not much of an Arwen fan in any case. She isn't my cup of tea either, or coffee since I don't drink tea. I don't think her personality was developed properly in the film as it should have been. She's a little too...self-centered? And there isn't much written about who she is really in the books.

Anywho what type of a fic are you expecting? A many chaptered one or just a long, one chaptered fic? If it's one chaptered fic, I'll consider doing it. I've got a lot on my plate at the moment.

-Elithien

Here's my challenge/nuzgul: Arwen needs to do more to prove she's worthy of joining the ranks of Luthien and Idril/worthy of Aragorn. Does she join the fellowship in an AU?
[...]
This story needs to be written, but not by me, because I totally don't have a handle on the characters or the possibilities.

Heh. Looks like most of us don't. But here's a flip-side nuzgul. We all (at least, I suspect all of us) know people who fall in love with someone who seems totally wrong. Y'know, the ex-boyfriend who dumped wonderful, smart, sexy you and then wound up falling madly in love with the gorgeous blond who washes dishes at the local coffee house because "she's so vulnerable," or married the alcoholic with two kids from a past abusive relationship, or something like that.

What about writing what it is in Aragorn that made him fall for Arwen, in spite of her not doing anything to prove she's worthy of joining the ranks of Luthien et al? Does he love that she's so different - so gentle and untried in the ways of battle and intrigue? Does he see her as holding the light of civilization in her tenderness and willingness to stay home sewing while the Big Brawny Males go out and do uncivilized things in defense of civilization? It certainly has been a common enough motif in literature - see Heart Of Darkness for another example. Is it a weird goddess-complex - he must have her because he's so unworthy of one of her ethereal beauty? Is it his competitive nature kicking in - he must have her because damnit he is worthy and she has to see it? Is it a political thing? After all, the Elves would make good allies (did he fall in love with her before or after he found out about the whole "destiny" thing? I can't recall).

Takers?

I'm not takin' it cause I'm already writing the "unrequited Aragorn" story and this would only confuse me. But I'd sure like to see it.

wow, Shadow975, that sounds really interesting!

I'd take it, but I'm trying to juggle a few other fics I want to do already. Have you posted the story yet? I'm intrigued.

Personally I've always detested Book Arwen, the way she swans in when the fighting is over and grabs Aragorn is positively sickening! Or so I thought at thirteen. And 'The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen' makes her look like a total wuss.

Of course the 'Tale' is a courtly romance rather than a work of strict history and there may have been very good reasons for Arwen to stay in Rivendell. We never do hear what's been happening in Eriador during the WR, but the fact that all the Shire and Bree have to worry about is a few brigands suggests *somebody* did a darn good job keeping the Orcs and Evil Men in the North away from the populated areas. The Elves and the Rangers may have been very busy indeed and Arwen with them.

But I must say I like Movie Arwen much better.

I think the key with Book Arwen is to make her remaining at home a choice.

This has a little to do with the HA thread--I think what rubs people wrong is that it seems as if it's simply expected of Arwen that she will remain home--that all women will do this, while Elrond, for example, *chooses* to leave the warrior life behind.

So I think that to write Arwen successfully is to wrest a choice out of what seems the foregone conclusion that she will remain in Imladris and Lothlórien, in the same manner that it becomes a choice for Aragorn to take up what is clearly presented as a predestined role. That's really hard for modern women to do without falling back on the "negative" argument of "double standards." The point here is not to invoke double standards to excuse Arwen's choice--it's to make her own that more feminine role in a way that *isn't* traditionally feminine, i.e., she's fully conscious of what she's doing, of other opportunities, *and* of the expectations she lives under, yet she makes this choice her own.

Does this make sense? Would there be anyone here interested in taking up the challenge of Arwen given that sort of context?

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges