Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Science in Middle Earth

Science in Middle Earth

Hi folks,

This is just a wee topic that I sometimes day-dream about when I'm supposed to be working etc. If you landed in Middle Earth say during the War of the Ring (or your favourite age Gondolin? Hollin?) and survived through to see Aragorn become king-how would you like to contribute to society? With 21st Century knowledge how would you contribute?

I'm a geologist so sciences are what I love but I was thinking about how in times of peace Rangers of Ithilien could become scientists for Aragorn's kingdoms. For example they could use their knowledge of the land and animals to evaluate the impact of new settlements of humans and elves on the flora and fauna of Ithilien. Helping Aragorn to let Ithilien blossom and re-habilitate and remediate battle grounds and land polluted by Sauron's forces?

I guess there's lots of room here so let me know if anyone shares my interests,

Cheers,

Littlelosthobbit

Re: Science in Middle Earth

Hello LittleLostHobbit!

This sounds like an interesting topic, as it's been trying to shuffle its way into one of my wips. I'm sure I could whip up a drabble, is there a deadline yet?

Fae

No deadline. WIPs very much appreciated. It's just a series of thoughts I really enjoy exploring and would love to work with some authors on these topics if they interest you.

LHL

Hi folks,

This is just a wee topic that I sometimes day-dream about when I'm supposed to be working etc. If you landed in Middle Earth say during the War of the Ring (or your favourite age Gondolin? Hollin?) and survived through to see Aragorn become king-how would you like to contribute to society? With 21st Century knowledge how would you contribute?

I'm a geologist so sciences are what I love but I was thinking about how in times of peace Rangers of Ithilien could become scientists for Aragorn's kingdoms. For example they could use their knowledge of the land and animals to evaluate the impact of new settlements of humans and elves on the flora and fauna of Ithilien. Helping Aragorn to let Ithilien blossom and re-habilitate and remediate battle grounds and land polluted by Sauron's forces?

I guess there's lots of room here so let me know if anyone shares my interests,

Cheers,

Littlelosthobbit

I've often thought that there would be a huge boom during Elessar's reign, in sciences, crafts, etc.  Cartography would be a very busy field, not to mention ship-building, etc.  I could see much exchanging of information between Northern and Southern Rangers just in exploration and map-making. 

Actually, Faramir would be responsible for the whole of Ithilien; and Aragorn charged him with border-watch, Minas Morgul in particular; which I took to mean that Faramir would probably be in charge of cleansing that valley.  Legolas rules the elf-colony in Ithilien; and he would collaborate with Faramir, coordinate Elven help for Ithilien as a whole.  I would imagine that Faramir, through Aragorn, might get some dwarven engineers to augment the Gondorian engineers who would be tearing down Minas Morgul (especilly since the Gondorian engineers would already have their hands full).  And then there's Osgiliath - can it be reclaimed and rebuilt?  I would think that Legolas and his Elves would also work with the Ithilien Rangers and White Company, teaching them Elven woodcraft.  I could see Faramir and others learning more about ecology from the Elves. 

Aragorn will also want to unite Gondor and Arnor physically as well as in other ways - new roads will be built, old roads spiffed up and fortified.  Annuminas and other ruins will be rebuilt too.  And there will be more communication/ideas and sciences/education exchanged with Dale as well...

Fascinating topic.  How many of the sons of Aragorn's Northern Dunedain will remain Rangers, I wonder; and how many will happily hang up their bows and become inn-keepers and furniture-makers and architects and scholars?  I personally think one reason the Dunedain of the North seemed to dwindle after the Ring War (or, if I remember right, it was implied) was that many of them migrated to warmer climates, such as Gondor, and assimilated into other populations. 

RAKSHA THE DEMON

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges