Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: 'x' takes the Ring - AU challenge

'x' takes the Ring - AU challenge

I have seen a few stories over the years where for instance Galadriel takes the Ring when Frodo offers it to her. But what would happen if others were to take it? What if Aragorn takes it? Boromir, Gandalf, or Pippin perhaps? Maybe Sam abandons Frodo at Cirith Ungol and goes on alone to try to destroy the Ring...

These could be anything, from drabbles to multi-chapter AUs, and anything inbetween. A nicely evil Challenge for Halloween Devilish

Re: 'x' takes the Ring - AU challenge

I'm afraid I'm well-bitten by that idea. *shakes ankle futilely* I'll try to come up with a drabble series, if other people are interested.

Are you  in?

I'm definitely in - either drabbles or vignettes I think.

And just to clarify, it doesn't have to be a member of the Fellowship. I imagine for instance Barliman Butterbur would quite like a chance at being evil... 

I've already written a story and a drabble with this theme - I'm in!

Jay

That's three. Any one else got bitten?

RiverOtter

I have a Nasgul. I am in.

Dean maia of Este/Ranger1

Ouch.  I'm well and bitten, so I'm in.  I've got some placeholders in other tales that need my attention, but the challenge that bites the hardest gets the attention.  Innocent  And this one is very intriguing!

*cackles softly*

As a suggestion to my fellow challenge-ees: the Aglarond dwarves make and sell walking sticks for those who have been nuzgulled so often your ankles are starting to give out. Mention my name for the HASA discount.

Back to seriousness: Nath, do you have any idea how long you'd like this to run? I personally expect to be done by Halloween, but I don't know if others want a longer deadline.

I need a bit more time myself, I think, perhaps end of November? And there may be people with epic, rather than drabbly, nuzgul as well...

Fair enough. (My own nuzgul is at least coming in 100-word segments.

March 25 is the day that the Ring was actually destroyed. Do we need that long? If not, when do you think would be a good date? 

I tend towards the epic, or longish short stories, so I'd need until at least end of November.  March 25 would be poetically proper -- though that might be more time than is necessary.  But that's okay with me, too.  Just as long as it isn't next month.  I've been bitten, but the no ideas came with the biting.  Rolling my eyes

End of the year would most likely be enough for me, but March 25th will be fine as well; it's a good date, and would give the epically-inclined enough time...

So, with five victims people willing to write this, how is it now turned into a challenge? 

So, with five victims people willing to write this, how is it now turned into a challenge?

Sorry for replying so late. You can either post the desired phrasing of the challenge description here or go to the challenge section and post it under "submit challenge suggestion". I will then set up the challenge.

Here it is:

I have seen a few stories over the years where for instance Galadriel takes the Ring when Frodo offers it to her. But what would happen if others were to take it, for any reason, good or evil? Aragorn? Boromir, Gandalf, or Pippin perhaps? Or Sam abandons Frodo at Cirith Ungol and goes on alone to try to destroy the Ring...

It wouldn't have to be a member of the Fellowship; maybe Barliman Butterbur finds a golden ring in the room the Hobbits used… or Bilbo loses it on one of his walking trips in the Shire…

These could be anything, serious, funny, dark; from drabbles to multi-chapter AUs, and anything in between.

To give the epically-inclined a chance, this should run to March 25. 

so the challenge is up. the discussion and the challenge.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges