Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Time for Another Drabble Challenge

Time for Another Drabble Challenge

Hey guys,

Just how much suggestiveness can you fit into 100 words?

That's the question that wedged itself in my mind this morning. I was reading Tanaqui's excellent Celeborn/Galadriel drabble "Name My Desire", and I realised just how challenging it is to write a good erotic drabble.

Writing a complete scene in 100 words is difficult enough. If that scene is to be erotic the drabble needs to rely more also on suggestion more than showing specifically what's happening -- something that many of us try to do in full-length erotic scene and often struggle with.

So can you do it? Pick any couple, any age in Arda, slash or het allowed. It should involve an erotic moment between them (not necessarily sexual -- kissing and other less "adult" acts are allowed). And it has to be only 100 words. Since the purpose of this challenge is to boil down the scene to 100 words, double drabbles, triple drabbles, and other variants aren't allowed. Drabble series will be permitted, but each 100-word drabble should focus on a separate moment.

This challenge, by its very nature, will create some adult entries. Please remember to use the appropriate forum post and story tags when posting. And please mention your pairing in your summary or chapter title so people can read those entries they're interested in and avoid any they would rather not read.

I hope this is an idea, with results, we can all get "excited" about. What do you think?

Marta

Re: Time for Another Drabble Challenge

Well, as I seem to already have a valid entry written, you can count me in.

Cheers, Liz

Do I even need to say that I am in?

Yours
Juno

Do I even need to say that I am in?

Why does this not surprise me? In the least?

But yes, you do need to speak up. Now that you have, that's three. Me, you, and Tanaqui. Any other takers?

Marta

Well, as I seem to already have a valid entry written

And a few others if memory serves. Glad you're in.

Marta

Count me in for sure.

RAKSHA

Well, I just told Arandil about this challenge of yours. She replied with two words and several exclamation marks: "Forge smut!!!"

So I expect she'll find her way here eventually.

You know us too well...

Cheers, Juno

Hi Marta

Since the purpose of this challenge is to boil down the scene to 100 words, double drabbles, triple drabbles, and other variants aren't allowed.

I had a thought. What if you can boil a scene down to 50 words? Are we allowed to show how much suggestiveness we can get into a half-drabble? Or is it 100-word drabbles only?

Cheers, Liz

Count me in for sure.

*Taps fingernails evilly.* Ehhhk-celent

Marta

"Forge smut!!!"

And again I say, excellent! I was hoping people would use people other than the usual subjects.

I'm looking at the time stamps. Less than an hour from my original post to this one. That has to be some sort of record.

Is Arandil definitely in for this? If so, that's five.

Marta

Hi Liz,

What if you can boil a scene down to 50 words? Are we allowed to show how much suggestiveness we can get into a half-drabble? Or is it 100-word drabbles only?

I don't have a problem with half-drabbles. For me, the real challenge is to do this in 100 words or less. So half-drabbles or normal 100-word drabbles are both fine with me.

What do other people think?

Marta

As I've already written a series of drabbles on 'The Senses' which are rather erotic in nature, yes, I'm in!!

Jay  ;)

I say 100 words is max, though if you can get this to work in half a drabble, more props to you!

I'm also in, by the way. Evil nuzgûl.

*wanders off, limping*

Damn it.

I'm not one for writing smut (though I read it avidly: specifically that lovely genre forge-smut).

But damn, damn, damn, [insert other choice expletives], damn.

You fling far too well.

Allie

PS- Read between the lines: I'm in.

I've contacted the Challenges team, and they'll put this challenge up as soon as we settle on a deadline.

What do you guys think? 1 month, 3 months, 6 months? I think three is sufficient but will go with what other people think.

Marta

What do you guys think? 1 month, 3 months, 6 months? I think three is sufficient but will go with what other people think.

As entries are meant to be a maximum of 100 words, I think this should have a one-month deadline, to concentrate our minds. (As if they need any more focusing on this particular topic.... )

Of course, I already have a number of drabbles (and a half-drabble) to enter, so the deadline doesn't worry me too much.

Cheers, Liz

One month seems good to me - drabbles don't take long, and I've several written already.

Jay

One to three is fine. Drabbles don't require so much time.

Allie

Um, I already have a new one, and then there's an earlier piece that y'all have seen already.

You can thank my Faramir-and-Eowyn muse, who, when she heard the call for this Challenge, yelled, Hey, Time for Raven-and-Golden to get some more action! And of course the long-suffering Lord and Lady of Ithilien were eager to answer the challenge.

So, when can I put this drabble up?

RAKSHA THE DEMON

<
I'm not one for writing smut (though I read it avidly: specifically that lovely genre forge-smut).

But damn, damn, damn, [insert other choice expletives], damn.

You fling far too well.

Allie

PS- Read between the lines: I'm in.>>

Only here would I expect to find the mention of a lovely and apparently new erotic subgenre - forge-smut. Thank you, Allie. I don't think I can ever again read the bits about Feanor in his forge in the Silm without going Bwahaha! I guess that's why Feanor and Nerdanel produced so many kids. Ah, the creative impulse.

RAKSHA THE DEMON

forge-smut

*falls over laughing*

That was a term I coined while talking with Arandil about Feanor and Nerdanel (I think it was either IM or LJ).

fifteen minutes later...

See, I knew it was stashed away somewhere! (It was completely nagging at me where; I just had to go look it up.)

I did this thing on LJ where you fill out your interests A-Z, and for O, I put "OTP: Feanor/Nerdanel (squee!)"

Arandil commented, and here's part of the thread verbatim:

Arandil: How could I be upset with the only person around who understands me and my lust appreciation of Feanor's hot ass finer qualities.

Allie: *giggle*

Precisely! There are so few of us out there to drool over his fine elven physique examine his complicated psyche, and read and write forge-smut scrutinize the complex relationship between him and Nerdanel.

*falls over laughing*

Arandil: methinks you have coined a new term.

Allie: *le gasp*

I have, I have! MWA HA HA HA HA!!

Feanor Fangirls, Writers and Readers of Forge-Smut...

And the rest is history...

Allie

It seems that most people are okay with a month deadline. I think that's long enough.

I'll email the Challenges helpers and see if we can get this up ASAP.

Marta

[Raksha] So, when can I put this drabble up?

You can do that now: this challenge is up.

Marta

Okay, my drabble's posted in the Challenge. Hope y'all enjoy!

RAKSHA

Raksha - I've been meaning to say for several days how much I liked your Making a garden drabble. I particularly liked the last couple of lines, with your subtle use of metaphor - glorious bounty blooms and tumble in a fragrant cascade. - which are quite enough to set my imagination off! And I like your use of symbolism in placing the scene under statues marking the union of their two peoples, although I'll admit to being slightly creeped out at the notion that they're making out under their ancestors' stone noses....

Both your use of metaphor and the way you've set the scene so this couldn't be any other couple are two of the things I really admire in erotic drabbles. I've started threads in the discussions for the Writing Erotica - Het and Writing Erotica - Slash workshops where I hope people will come and discuss what they think works.

Oh, and I also posted a collection of my suggestive drabbles in the challenge - most of these have been posted elsewhere before, but one is new.

Cheers, Liz

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges