Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Captain of Gondor

Captain of Gondor

I have been having somewhat of a plethora of nuzgul attacking. All of them relate to Thorongil and I have no ime to write. So I just want to see if there is any interest out there in this. Basically, I think there is a shortage of Thorongil stories and I, for one, would like more. This challenge would be for anything focusing on Aragorn during his time in Rohan and Gondor between 2957 and 2980. Yes, there are a few stories available that already fit the bill, but there are numerous possibilities such as the ones that have been attacking me. Thorongil *Did Boromir or Faramir ever latch on to the mysterious and long gone Captain for hero worship? And what does Denethor think of that? *Without a doubt various maidens found the tall, dark, handsome, mysterious and above all eligible northern captain worth their while. This could be quite humorous to see Thorongil trying to escape their attentions. *Growing up among the elves, Aragorn undoubtedly had a unique education. What would studying the Last Alliance be like from one who was there? What would the perspective be on Elendil and Isildur from those who knew them? What little tidbits did Aragorn learn when he was young that are lost to the historians of Gondor? Now put Thorongil there, among the historians or with Denethor and see what kind of mistakes he might make with sharing the knowledge he has. *Surely there would be some old soldier after Sauron's end who remembers Captain Thorongil, what would his thoughts be on realizing who exactly King Elessar is? *The Appendices indicate that Denethor, in the end did know the truth of Thorongil. How did he discover it? What was his initial reaction? What did he think of Aragorn's claim? Did he expect him to ever come back and claim the throne once he had left? Were his words in answer to Boromir's "How long..." question just lip-service in light of the fact that he knew there was one with a possibly legitimate claim? *And this is one I cannot get out of my head: Someone (some old fogey) is complaining about the King for some reason, and says (perhaps half drunk) "What we need is someone like ole' Cap'n Thorongil." And you take it from there... *What tales are told of Thorongil after his departure? A captain of Gondor, leaving the country after his greatest victory, who (perhaps) was often at odds with the son of the steward--surely there are bound to be rumors! *Did Boromir ever know that Aragorn had known him as a baby? Did Faramir ever question as to his knowledge of Finduilas? What would the sons of Denethor think of Thorongil? What would they think after finding out his true identity? *Men are not perfect, not even our beloved Strider. Did Thorongil ever slip up and let someone know more than he should have? Did anyone else ever figure out the truth? *What was Thorongil like as a captain? What was his relationship with his men? Did they resent a northerner leading them? (This would also qualify for the Follow My Leader Challenge.) *Aragorn says when he meets Eomer and company that he has riden with Theoden and movie!verse Eowyn mentions that the king told her Aragorn had riden with Thengel. What kind of relationship existed between the Crown-Prince of Rohan and Thorongil? We don't know how long Aragorn was in Rohan, but did he see Theoden grow from being a child to worthy heir? *Write the missing scene in both book and movie that has Theoden realizing that Aragorn was Thorongil. *What was the relationship between Denethor and Thorongil? What if they were perhaps friends, comrades at one point? (This could also work for the Death to Fanon! Challenge.) Have a little fun with our Eagle of the Star!

Re: Captain of Gondor

This challenge would be for anything focusing on Aragorn during his time in Rohan and Gondor between 2957 and 2980. < Whimper > I'm in! Yes! The world needs more Thorongil stories! (my betas are gonna kill me.....) Gwynnyd

Yes, yes, yes! I already wrote a little something for "Royally Screwed"; it's called The Summons and stars Aragorn, Gandalf and Boromir pre-Moria, and answers some of the questions you pose. I'd love to write more, but I would need some time. The plots are very embryonic. Gandalfs apprentice

Gwynnyd wrote: (my betas are gonna kill me.....) Only after you've killed some of them. I have a ton of nuzgul that fit so many of these scenarios, so I guess that's me in too.... Cheers, Liz

Well, thats three. Anyone else? Anyone? Four if I count myself because I know I won't be able to resist once I see other people's ideas...

WOW! These are REALLY interesting! *Without a doubt various maidens found the tall, dark, handsome, mysterious and above all eligible northern captain worth their while. This could be quite humorous to see Thorongil trying to escape their attentions. *And this is one I cannot get out of my head: Someone (some old fogey) is complaining about the King for some reason, and says (perhaps half drunk) "What we need is someone like ole' Cap'n Thorongil." And you take it from there... *grin* Those hit me really hard! I HAVE to do something for this. Count me in! Oooh! Does that make 5 pledges, then? Then I will get Nienna to create a challenge for this (WHEEEEE! My first ever job as Assistant...). - Narwen

Yahoo! Thanks for taking care of getting Nienna to post the challenge...Although the later the deadline the better...or better yet--make the deadline March 1st--Aragorn's birthday!

Ta-dah! Done! Both challenge and discussion have been created. So start writing! - Kriti

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges