28 Mar 05 8:56 AM
Co-presented with marastar:
A frustrating aspect of reading Tolkien's books is all the potentially great conversations that never happen between various characters. So here's the challenge: write a chat or scene between characters that never interact (or interact very little) "onstage" in Tolkien's books, that you feel should have interacted more for various reasons -- perhaps because they share a particular experience, have a history together that isn't explored, or because it would have simply resulted in hilarious dialogue or a great meeting of the minds.
Another option is to take your favourite character and have him/her/it talk to someone you've either never or rarely written about. Still, it should be an unusual interaction. So don't have Legolas talk to Aragorn, for instance, because you love Aragorn and never write about Legolas.
And maybe try to think of situations that have been neglected in the fandom as well as the books. For instance, even though we never see Boromir interact with either Denethor or Faramir in LotR, there are already so many fics out there that deal with the Steward's family that they probably wouldn't be encouraged for this particular nuzgul. The more uncommon, the better!
* The Fellowship hang out at Rivendell.
* The Fords of Isen.
* The Fields of Cormallen.
* Minas Tirith before the funeral host departs for Rohan.
* Edoras before and after Theoden's funeral.
Some interesting pairs:
* Elven heirs: Legolas and Arwen.
* Three gardeners of the Fourth Age: Sam, Legolas and Eowyn.
* The Rangers of the North and the sons of Elrond (before the Battle of the Pelennor, the Black Gates, or on the Fields of Cormallen)
* Theodred: did anyone actually talk to the poor guy before he was conveniently snuffed out?
* Prince Imrahil and Denethor before the Siege of Minas Tirith.
* A first meeting between Eomer and Faramir at Minas Tirith, before Eowyn.
* Witch-Kings and Wizard's Pupils: Gandalf and Eowyn have a lot to talk about.
* Now that Gimli and Eomer have called a draw on who is the most beautiful Elf, what else do they talk about?
* Arwen stays behind at Meduseld with Prince Imrahil, Eomer, Eowyn and Faramir after everyone else leaves for the Shire. What the heck does she say to these people? Considering Eowyn was once after Aragorn, and Eomer is a bit enamoured of her, things could get very interesting.
* Before the Elven host leaves Edoras, Elrond and Arwen speak "long and bitterly" in the hills of Rohan. What was said? What about Galadriel and Celeborn?
* Beregond and Eowyn discuss a touchy subject: dereliction of duty.
* Galadriel says farewell to Gimli. Or better yet, Celeborn and Gimli have a little chat.
* Arwen and Frodo (or anyone besides Aragorn, for that matter) before the Fellowship heads south.
* What if Legolas had tried to talk to Gollum while he was in Mirkwood?
Silm prompts would be most welcome as well.
So what do you say, guys? Any more ideas? Any takers?