Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The Bible and Other Holy Texts in Middle-earth

The Bible and Other Holy Texts in Middle-earth

I've been thinking about the "I'm a Believer" and the "WW1 Poets" challenge, and the two croswsed in my brain to produce what I think is a neat little nuzgul. Take something from a holy text in our modern world, and move it into Middle-earth. I have several ways I can see this happening: 1. Have a Biblical figure meet a Middle-earth figure. Maybe Maglor helps David write a psalm? Celeborn teaches Abraham a thing or two about giving kingly gifts. Or Mohammed finds a relic from Harad. 2. Take a story from a religious text and recast it in Middle-earth. 3. Use a verse from a holy text to justify a character's action. Or even just have them think it. Of course you wouldn't be limited to these things. The idea is to take something out of the religion of our current world, and somehow tie it to Middle-earth. Anyway, that's my idea. Anyone interested? (Btw, my use of "Bible" may be misleading. I'm open to *any* religious text, so Qura'an, Talmud, and anything else are definitely in. And it doesn't necessarily have to be restricted to written texts. If you have an idea but are in doubt, feel free to ask.) Marta

Re: The Bible in Middle-earth

Hi, Marta. Have a Biblical figure meet a Middle-earth figure. Maybe Maglor helps David write a psalm? Celeborn teaches Abraham a thing or two about giving kingly gifts. Or Mohammed finds a relic from Harad. I'm working on something similar at the moment, so count me in. Perhaps you should consider changing the challenfe title to "Holy Books of Middle-earth"? For the sole reason that it can be, as you said, misleading. Peace and Catnip, Werecat

Re: The Bible in Middle-earth

I'm working on something similar at the moment, so count me in. Excellent. I'm in as well, with an idea for a vignette based on the Talmudic figure of Samael. Perhaps you should consider changing the challenfe title to "Holy Books of Middle-earth"? For the sole reason that it can be, as you said, misleading. I considered that, but I couldn't figure out how to word it so it didn't read like holy texts written by the people of Middle-earth. I will change it to something like "The Bible and Other Holy Texts in Middle-earth". That seems really bulky, so if you have a better suggestion, I'd be glad to hear it. Marta

Re: The Bible and Other Holy Texts in Middle-earth

I am working on a short story that fits in here. It is being obstinate, but maybe a Challenge will convince it to cooperate. So count me in. Yours Juno

I'd just like to mention this fic: Jerusalem. I find it wonderful every time I read it.

I've got some ideas along this vein, but I'd need a few months (six or longer) to develop them.

Oh, I am in! What a lovely, lovely, LOVELY idea. I have a feeling it will be hard to stop with just one fic. Thank-you for the tasty morsel of an idea, Marta! -Otto's Goat

Counting: Werecat, Marta, Juno, marastar, and Otto's Goat! That would be five! Does anyone have feedback on a deadline? More than 6 months, as marastar pleaded for? Allie

Hi Allie, I've submitted the nuzgul through the "Submit a Story Suggestion" form. When you're ready to set up the nuzgul you can just convert it to a challenge instead of a nuzgul. As for a deadline, I recommend December 25 as a major religious holiday and the day the Fellowship left Rivendell. It seems appropriate, somehow. Marta

Good pick for a close date. Off to set up the challenge and discussion thread! Allie edit: The challenge and the thread are both up. Have fun!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges