Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: OC challenge

OC challenge

I've been thinking a lot about OC's lately. Maybe it's the new forum about them that had some posts to it a few days ago. Maybe it's my own story that is exclusively about OCs or the ones I've been reading lately about them (Salsify's "Children of Hurin", Lyllyn's "The Barrenness of Stone, Jodancingtree's "The Queen's Orc", Thevina Finduilas's "Call of the Druedain", and Thundera Tiger's "A Forgotten Casualty", to name a few). I'm not sure, but I've been thinking about them a lot. Anyway, I've noticed that there are a lot of stories involving OMC's (my own mentioned above revolves around two), and several romances pairing a major canonical male character and an OFC, but very few non-romances involving OFC's, and almost no romances involving OMC So that's my challenge: any length, any race, any age. There are only two requirements. The piece must involve an OC as a key character, and it must be about a romance between an OMC and a canonical character, or be a non-romance about an OFC. What do you think? Is anyone interested? Marta

Re: OC challenge

Good idea, Marta! (By the by, have you seen All OCs, All the Time? Funny that there should be two challenges mentioning OCs! ) Granted, this is different enough to have it's own challenge. Who's interested? Allie

Here, here, here, me, me Just my kind of stuff. I have a non-romance involving an OFC. But it is still WiP. Does that bother??

Not at all! WIPs can still be entered in a challenge, as long as it's not marked as off-list. One down, four to go... Allie

Ooooh! I have something I'm working on at the moment that'll fit! (Does very, very minor canon character count?) Count me in Elcalion

(Does very, very minor canon character count?) What's the character? I think so. If you're not relying on Tolkien's characterization of them and they're for all purposes acting as an original character, I think that would be find. To give you an example, I have a romance between Sancho Proudfoot and an OFC. It obviously wouldn't qualify for the OFC because it's a romance, but in this story Sancho is basically functioning as an OC; I'm not using any of the brief mentions of Sancho, and the piece would work just as well if you changed Sancho's name to some other, non-canonical characters. So the litmus test for me is, if you changed the name would it still work? Marta

Good idea, Marta! (By the by, have you seen All OCs, All the Time? Funny that there should be two challenges mentioning OCs! ) Granted, this is different enough to have it's own challenge. Who's interested? I'm just finishing up a first draft of a story that will work for this challenge (and incidentally also the "All OCs" one). So I have two stories that would work for this (this one and the Sancho Proudfoot one I just mentioned). I think that's four entries so far? Do we have a fifth? Marta

I have a non-romance involving an OFC. That certainly qualifies. But it is still WiP. Does that bother?? It doesn't bother me. WIPs are certainly allowed in Challenges. If you don't want it to display on the public side of the site, you can do one of two things: 1. Go ahead and enter it, but keep it in Beta, or set your challenge entry's status to "For members only." When you're ready to display it to the public, move it from Beta to General or change the challenge entry's status to "OK for public". 2. Get a place-holder. When your story's finished, you can enter it, even if the challenge is already closed. Hope this helps, and glad you're on board. Marta

Three so far, two to go... Allie

The fic I'm thinking of entering is part of the backstory of my main OC Elcalion (the elf, not me!) - I have him as the son of Findis (eldest daughter of Finwe and Indis) and an OC - so the fic is the romance between the OMC and Findis... So given the only thing Tolkien seems to say about Findis is that she went with her mother and lived amongst the Vanyar after the death of Finwe she is virtually an OC herself. Does this still fit the bill, or is it more just a 2-OC romance? Minor off topic plug: Any and all OC's can be freely placed in the OC Market thread in the OC Forum - it's a place to share your OC's with other authors, brainstorm OC ideas and get feedback on characterisation/ canon etc... Seemed kind of relevant! Elcalion

I've got something brewing that would work. Of course, it wasn't brewing until I read this thread., and now it's kind of politely knocking at my head saying, "Excuse me, can I come out please?"

I've got something brewing that would work. Excellent. That makes four. Or five, really, I think -- Allie was counting me as one, but I have two stories to submit (one finished, one still being edited. How long a deadline do people want? Is three months long enough, or should we make it longer than that? Marta

I'm fine with three months. :::muttermutterfreakinNuzgulsmuttermutter:::

I'm fine with three months. I think that should be long enough; this challenge doesn't really require you to write an epic, though epics are certainly welcome. I'm going to a movie in a few minutes. If no one asks for longer before I get back I'll set up the challenge with a three-month deadline. (FYI... I'm not one of the CMs, but I used to be one and Allie asked me to watch this forum this weekend, and set up any challenges that needed it.) :::muttermutterfreakinNuzgulsmuttermutter::: Don't I know it! It seems like you finish one story, just in time for three more nuzgul to take its place - if they're considerate enough for you to finish that first story! Marta

Would a drabble from an OFC's perspective be eligible for this challenge? Karri

Hi Karri, There's no restrictions on form and length. Assuming the drabble isn't a romance, it shouled be fine. Marta

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges