Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Urban legends?

Urban legends?

Hi all! I, for one, love urban legends. Some of them are just so bizarre that you have to wonder how they got started, and why on earth people believe them. A guy with a hook hand stalking teenagers who are making out in a car? A dead hooker under the mattress at a cheap hotel? I would think that there have got to be urban legends in Middle Earth, but what would they be? It could be great fun to come up with all new urban legends, or to twist ours into an M-e appropriate story. Apologies if this has already been done before my time.

Re: Urban legends?

Ah! Brava, brava EdorasLass! This forum hasn't moved in about two weeks (much to my dismay), and this is a brilliant prospect for a challenge. How about Minas Tirith? Did the folk tell their kids Beruthiel and her cats were going to come get them at night? Rohan: "do your chores, or the Wicked Witch of the Woods will come for you!"? Someone (please, someone tell me): tell me an elven urban legend. Please. I'm dying to hear about what freaks the elves out. What would Elladan and Elrohir try and frighten their little sister with? And what about all the crazy ones, like EdorasLass mentioned? Did anyone ever play "Bloody Mary" as a kid (I don't know if this one is universal, or cross-generational...)? This would indeed be different enough to be a seperate challenge, but chances are, entries might also fit the bill for the When Out the Hellish Legion Sallied... nuzgul. Do we have any takers? Allie

Count me in Allie! I already have a piece that would fit the bill from the aforementioned Hellish Legion challenge. Cheers Vistula

Nope, not bitten. However this did remind me of a very good fic by M N Theis. It's called The Dead Walk Tonight (and should open in a new window). Very nassssssssty, precious.

Hi all. How about Minas Tirith? Did the folk tell their kids Beruthiel and her cats were going to come get them at night? Funny you should say that, Meril. I already have a tale on this: Old Wives' Tales. So count me in, guys and girls. Werecat

Oooh, I like the idea! Sounds very interesting! I wonder if there were any new "urban legends" created during The War of the Ring... Anyways! Count me in!

I wonder if there were any new "urban legends" created during The War of the Ring... Anyways! Oh yes! Huorns and holbytlan in Rohan. Black Riders in the Shire. The Dead in Pelargir... give it a generation or two and there would be all kinds of urban legends popping up. I have a piece I've been wanting to whip into shape, a hobbit ghost story based on the Four Travellers' experience in the Barrow-downs. So definitely count me in, too. Marta

That's four! One more, one more! Allie

Oh wow! I do have ideas along these lines... it was a good aspect of what may or may not be a rather dodgy fic... OK, EdorasLass, I think you got me this time! Soubrettina

And that be five! Closing date, anyone? Allie

Yay! I'm glad this got made into a challenge... it will be really interesting to see what everyone comes up with! As for closing date, I'll probably need... a month, but that' s just me.

Loooong date, please! I have other projects I'm working on, so I'd prefer three months at the bare minimum. Six would be better. Marta

I'm in for whatever closing date anyone else prefers...since my fic is already completed. Vistula

How about October 31st? That's just over six months away, and an appropriate closing date, I think. Allie

Sounds good to me!

Wow, how out to lunch am I? I didn't even notice that this thread was getting comments! Whooo and a hooo as well!

Someone (please, someone tell me): tell me an elven urban legend. Please. I'm dying to hear about what freaks the elves out. What would Elladan and Elrohir try and frighten their little sister with? *sigh* You had to mention the twins, didn't you? I can never resist a challenge about them. Count me in. Jay

Hi Allie! Is this challenge set up yet, or am I just a putz and can't find it? Vistula

Blah, no. I'm just lazy and haven't done it yet. I'll get to it some time later today. I promise! Allie

The challenge and the discussion thread as well! Allie

Bah, every time I come here, the Nuzgul eat me alive. Would a variation on Big Cat sightings be all right?

Would a variation on Big Cat sightings be all right? Cyberwolf, if you write this, I'll read it. And I think it fits perfectly in the challenge. Werecat (green with envy she didn't think of that first).

[i]Cyberwolf, if you write this, I'll read it. And I think it fits perfectly in the challenge.[/i] Then I shall! *lopes away to sign up*

Drop me a line when you do write it! ~Werecat

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges