Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The Sons of Elrond at the Field of Celebrant

The Sons of Elrond at the Field of Celebrant

Hi folks! I originally proposed this under the Quickies challenge, but River Otter suggested that it might be too meaty for three-page quickies. So, I've moved it here! In an early version of the Battle of the Field of Celebrant (when Eorl the Young and the riders of the Éothéod saved Gondor's army from destruction in the Invasion of Calenardhon by Balchoth and Orcs), Tolkien included the following passage (struck out on the typescript): In the forefront of the charge they saw two great horsemen, clad in grey, unlike all the others, and the Orcs fled before them; but when the battle was won they could not be found, and none knew whence they came or whither they went. But in Rivendell it was recorded that these were the sons of Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir. The Peoples of Middle-Earth, HoME Vol 12, Part 1, Ch 9, The Making of Appendix A: The House of Eorl This sparks the following idea: Write about some aspect of the Battle of the Field of Celebrant with the sons of Elrond joining the fight along with the Éothéod (the people who became the Rohirrim). Why did Elladan and Elrohir join the fight? How did they hear of the Ride of Eorl? How did they know where to go? Why did they disappear afterward? How did Eorl and the Éothéod react to having two mighty Elf-lords fighting alongside them? Did the desperate Gondorians notice their presence, and if so, what did they think? How did the Orcs and Balchoth (Easterlings) -- who were on the verge of victory over Gondor -- react? Was their presence recorded in any of the oral or written histories of these peoples? The sons of Elrond spent time with the Rohirrim after the coronation of King Elessar. What was it like for Elladan and Elrohir to recount the tale to those descendants, many generations removed, of their fellow warriors? What was it like for the Rohirrim to hear the story of the defining battle in their country's history -- a battle that occurred five hundred years before -- from someone who fought in it? Hope this helps! (And I anxiously await the opportunity to relish any and all stories on this topic from our supremely talented and creative authors...) - Barbara [Edit:] I would be delighted to see any kind of writing here, from drabble to novel, from prose to poetry. I'll read and enjoy it all!

Re: The Sons of Elrond in the Battle of the Field of Celebrant

I already volunteered for this in the Quickies thread. Yes, I'll do it - I can never resist anything with the twins! Jay

I already volunteered as well. I'm game!

I can never resist anything with the twins! Yes, they are truly fascinating, aren't they? Glad you're interested, Jay! - Barbara

I already volunteered as well. I'm game! Lovely! (And so are the sons of Elrond...) Anyone else? - Barbara

How many people do we have then? About four? If so, then one more person, and it's a challenge!

I count three: Elena, Jay and Noldo. If you are volunteering, Cold like Fire, that makes four. You might put an announcement on the HASA list. RiverOtter

Lovely! (And so are the sons of Elrond...) Always, Allie

I count three: Elena, Jay and Noldo. Yes. You might put an announcement on the HASA list. I'd rather wait until after Thanksgiving (a big family holiday -- and long vacation weekend -- for those of us in the U.S.) I'm not even supposed to be logged on right now.... - Barbara

Great. Now you are into nugzul flinging. Just remember to wear your mithril-tipped boots, mithril leggings and elbow-length mithril gloves to avoid being bitten yourself. On second thought, you have been bitten. I'll be interested to see how your nugzul inspires you. RiverOtter

Barbara, that was such an interesting quote! And, from your description, this is the part that got me really excited: The sons of Elrond spent time with the Rohirrim after the coronation of King Elessar. What was it like for Elladan and Elrohir to recount the tale to those descendants, many generations removed, of their fellow warriors? What was it like for the Rohirrim to hear the story of the defining battle in their country's history -- a battle that occurred five hundred years before -- from someone who fought in it? Did you say it could be a short story? Starlight

From reading the challenge, I'd say yes. Whatever your Muse inspires is great from drabble to poetry to short story to a novel. RiverOtter

*walking carefully not to trample over my room-full of nuzgulings* I think I'm going to volunteer... this is just too good to fight it any longer. I suppose my lovely critters... ahem... nuzgulings will be glad to welcome a new friend to the bunch... I'm in! Starlight P.S. Thanks, Barbara, for the wonderful story idea

The Count: Elena, Jay, Noldo, and Starlight. Four, four, four! All we need is one, single more person (Hm: that didn't sound like proper English...)! I'm contemplating this one, but I don't think I have a firm enough idea to volunteer. That quote is wonderfully descriptive... But I'm overdrawn on challenges as it is... Always, Allie

I think I'm going to volunteer... Woohoo! Welcome aboard, Starlight! A short story would just fit the bill... P.S. Thanks, Barbara, for the wonderful story idea You're most welcome! That's one of the nice things about being a HASA Resources Volunteer: I sometimes stumble across the most compelling quotes... - Barbara

Four, four, four! All we need is one, single more person And married persons are welcome, too! I'm contemplating this one, but I don't think I have a firm enough idea to volunteer. That quote is wonderfully descriptive... Oh, come on! You know you want to! It's such a cute, cuddly little nuzgûl... - Barbara

Elena Tiriel wrote: Oh, come on! You know you want to! It's such a cute, cuddly little nuzgûl... *gritted teeth* For your first prospective!challenge!nuzgul, Barbara, you seem to be remarkable adept at flinging, and wheedling for pledges... *reverie* "Why did Elladan and Elrohir join the fight? How did they hear of the Ride of Eorl? How did they know where to go? Why did they disappear afterward?" OK, OK, I'm in, I'm in! Does that make you happy, evil evil Barbara! Argh! Since I have one of THE prime resourcers for this site here, awaiting my grudging entrapment completely willing pledge, I must ask a couple research questions: 1. Elrond is prescient, yes? Am I correct in assuming that it'd be OK to make his sons have inherited that ability, to a certain extent? 2. The Eotheod were located in the upper vales of Anduin, right? Near Gladden Fields/Carrock area? (Cursed by thy blonde head, Allie! Forgetting thy precious copy of UT at home!) Always, Ensnared!Allie edit: And I realize that's five! Elena, Jay, Noldo, Starlight, and myself! *mutter* So... many... nuzgul... so... little... time... Deadline, anyone? For myself, I think six months would do it. If anyone wants longer (*beg* please: not shorter!), I can do that. Once I get enough responses, I'll set it up! Congrats on spawning a challenge, Barbara! Oh, yeah: Is there something we can use as a more succinct title? Short is good. This one is a tad long and unwieldy. Suggestions? But if not, this will work fine.

For your first prospective!challenge!nuzgul, Barbara, you seem to be remarkable adept at flinging, and wheedling for pledges... *Big, fat, happy grin* OK, OK, I'm in, I'm in! Does that make you happy, evil evil Barbara! Argh! *Even bigger, fatter, happier grin* 1. Elrond is prescient, yes? Am I correct in assuming that it'd be OK to make his sons have inherited that ability, to a certain extent? Okay by me! (If there's nothing in canon, then you really can't violate it, can you? ) 2. The Eotheod were located in the upper vales of Anduin, right? Near Gladden Fields/Carrock area? No, Marhwini had gathered the Éothéod in the Vales of Anduin in [corrected:] 1856 (because of the Wars with the Wainriders), but Frumgar led the Éothéod north to the sources of the Anduin in 1977. (Did I mention that I'm somewhat obsessed by the Rohirrim and their ancestors? Thought I'd transfer that obsession to an area outside of Resources for a change...) Forgetting thy precious copy of UT at home! Oh, but you can read all about the Invasion of Calenardhon by Balchoth and Orcs in the Resources Library! (Did I mention my little obsession...?) There is an overview here, which will point you to all the other entries, including the Ride of Eorl and the Battle of the Field of Celebrant... I wouldn't think of having a Challenge without the appropriate background material available right here at HASA Resources! Deadline, anyone? For myself, I think six months would do it. Fine with me... nothing less, please... Congrats on spawning a challenge, Barbara! Thank you, Allie! Oh, yeah: Is there something we can use as a more succinct title? How about "The Sons of Elrond at the Field of Celebrant"? In the time of the War of the Ring ... the name Parth (Field of) Celebrant was only used of the great battle in which Eorl the Young destroyed the invaders of Gondor... Unfinished Tales, Part 2, Ch 4, Appendix C, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn: The Boundaries of Lórien

No, Marhwini had gathered the Éothéod in the Vales of Anduin in 1636 (because of the Wars with the Wainriders), but Frumgar led the Éothéod north to the sources of the Anduin in 1977. (Did I mention that I'm somewhat obsessed by the Rohirrim and their ancestors? Thought I'd transfer that obsession to an area outside of Resources for a change...) Wait: so the Eotheod were north, north? Like... near-the-meeting-of-Langwell-and-Greylin-a-tad-south-of-Mt.-Gundabad north? That far north?! Whew... Borondir really had his work cut out for him, didn't he? I'll wait for a couple more inputs on deadline before creating the challenge... Title sounds good... Almost all set to go! Always, Allie

Re: The Sons of Elrond at the Field of Celebrant

Wait: so the Eotheod were north, north? Like... near-the-meeting-of-Langwell-and-Greylin a-tad-south-of-Mt.-Gundabad north? That far north? Yes! If you have The Atlas of Middle-earth, there's a town near the confluence of those rivers called Framsburg: Fram was Frumgar's son... See Éothéod (Land)... Whew... Borondir really had his work cut out for him, didn't he? Yup -- that's why they wrote a song about him: Rider of the Last Hope (did I mention my "little" obsession?). This is what UT says about the Ride of Eorl (and Borondir went even farther, all the way from Gondor): In nine days they had covered more than five hundred miles in a direct line, probably more than six hundred as they rode. Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 2, Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan: Notes, Note 30 I'll wait for a couple more inputs on deadline before creating the challenge... Title sounds good... Great! - Barbara

(did I mention my "little" obsession?) Oh, no, of course not, Barbara... Your obsession hobby is quite subtle... Always, Allie

All right, since no one else has responded, I'm just going to go ahead and set this one up! title: The Sons of Elrond at the Field of Celebrant time: six months volunteers: me, Elena, Jay, Noldo, Starlight Always, Allie edit: The challenge is posted; discuss all stories in this thread.

The challenge is posted; discuss all stories in this thread. Thanks, Allie! Woohoo! - Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges