Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Tenth Walker, No Choice

Tenth Walker, No Choice

We have all heard numerous stories filled to the brim with Mary-Sues and tenth-walkers. Basically, same old tale, same older story: girl falls into Middle-earth, gets asked to join the Fellowship, and of course goes. What if this tenth member was not asked to join, but was forced to by whatever circumstances? For this challenge, you would write a story (Mary-Sue, "Semi-Sue," or whatever you like where this tenth walker has no choice to whether he/she goes or not. The possibilities for this reason are endless.

Re: Tenth Walker, No Choice

Do you think "Lothíriel" could be included in this one? At least at the beginning Aragorn did not ask her if she wanted to come... Yours Juno

Sure! Any tenth walker story that does not have someone volunteering from the start, or being asked by some high up lord person, would most-likely fit this challenge.

You do realize that you will have a lot of work when you get this challenge together, do you? So... as it is already out there, count me in. And I could tell you some people over at ff.net who have things that would fit, but they are not yet members of HASA... Yours Juno

I can see the possibilities: a person who is dragged into a situation under protest but rises to the challenge. But right now i have a full plate. If you set a long deadline, I might be interested. RiverOtter

Would two years be all right?

You do realize that you will have a lot of work when you get this challenge together, do you? So... as it is already out there, count me in. And I could tell you some people over at ff.net who have things that would fit, but they are not yet members of HASA... Yours Juno You're right, I probably will. I'll count myself in this one, so we definitely have two so far, and possibly River Otter?

If I get inspired. First I need to deal with 9 people at Thanksgiving then catch up on a variety of projects. Is the challenge limited to LOTR or can I drag The Hobbit in? RiverOtter

Would two years be all right? Phew, CLF, that is a long deadline. However, challenges aren't set up to deal with two year deadlines. The ultimate, extreme, very latest deadline you can get right now is December 31, 2005. But two years is really a long time. I say a year would be sufficient. People can always enter placeholders. Always, Allie

You're right, Allie. Two years would be two long, and could really screw up the Challenge system. If I get inspired. First I need to deal with 9 people at Thanksgiving then catch up on a variety of projects. Is the challenge limited to LOTR or can I drag The Hobbit in? You could do anything Tolkien related, no matter which book.

You're right, Allie. Two years would be two long, and could really screw up the Challenge system. If I get inspired. First I need to deal with 9 people at Thanksgiving then catch up on a variety of projects. Is the challenge limited to LOTR or can I drag The Hobbit in? You could do anything Tolkien related, no matter which book.

Make it a long deadline and I'm in. Humming about the Tenth Walker. RiverOtter

Is December 2005 all right, like Allie was saying? So far we have three people: Juno, River Otter, and myself. Any other takers? We need two more.

I think Arandil's Legomance would qualify. You would have to ask her. Yours Juno

Ai yai... double post again, CLF. So, let's see: RiverOtter, Juno, and CLF. Any more takers? Always, Allie

Hmm... intriguing. What about a Tenth Walker who appears to volunteer, but is actually under orders from his/her superiors to swipe the ring? I'll have to think about this a little more...

That sounds good!

Don't sign me up yet. They're only thoughts.

Sigh... Two questions (because my wretched muse is jumping up and down and bringing me ways to do this story): 1. Do you want this done as a serious story, or as a parody? 2. Must the Tenth Walker be female?

Whether you want to write a parody or a serious story is up to you. Both are very great to read. Also, the tenth walker can be whatever gender you want.

Oh, very well... sign me up. Though it may take a while for me to get round to it. Also, I have the last half of a Buffy WIP languishing on my hard drive, so that's got to be my priority for the next few months.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges