Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Pub Crawl

Pub Crawl

I would like to know if anyone thinks the following idea could make an interesting challenge. How about writing a story about an evening in "The Prancing Pony"? Who could be there? Dwarves, men, Dúnedain, hobbits? Others? A disguised elf? How about a birthday-party? A business meeting? Or just a chance encounter between strangers? Would there be only talking or also singing and dancing? Gossip? Rumour? Drunkards? (I feel very bold to post an idea here... and very nervous... I have never done that before...) Edit: The challenge is up and running. The discussion to go with it can be found here.

Re: Pub Crawl

Mmmm! Splendid stuff Juno! Are you Brit by any chance? It's a good while since I went pub crawling - the lovely old student days having ended a long while back. :S This is really a challenge for everyone. Could the first meeting between Strider and Gandalf have taken place at this very inn? The possibilities are endless! Come on folks! Make yourselves at home at the Prancing Pony! nrink

I'm German... ...but we know about "pub crawls", too. ;-) This nûzgul has been biting me for quite some time. I've "been" to the "Pony" in several of my stories and I keep thinking that I would simply love to spend an evening there... just sitting in a corner with a good mug of beer or a nice glass of wine... watching and listening... Thanks for the thumbs up! Cheers! Juno

This sounds like a great idea! I was wondering how you would feel, Juno, about broadening the challenge beyond just the Prancing Pony? That could be an option, but what about meeting up in other drinking places. In Minas Tirith? Or Edoras? Or Lake-Town? I know of a few members who could be interested in any one of those three options. Of course, it's your idea and it's always up to the person who proposes the challenge to decide its limits. Cheryl

I know of a few members who could be interested in any one of those three options. Aww yeah! I'm all about pub crawls - drunkenness plays very heavily in my fics. (As in, the characters' drunkenness, not mine.) However, I agree with Cheryl's suggestion - could we broaden this to include Minas Tirith or Edoras? If Minas Tirith becomes an option, you can definitely count me in! Edit: Oh yeah, and Ann mentioned something in one of the other threads about that LJ community, The Five Armies, where apparently they write such fics. If those authors are also here at HASA, they'd probably be game for this challenge as well. Aeneid

M-hmm. If Minas Tirith was included, I have a nice little scene involving Aragorn, Faramir, Eomer and some ale...

Hi all. How about writing a story about an evening in "The Prancing Pony"? I already have a story taking place there, so count me in! Werecat

I wouldn't mind at all to broaden the approach. I am happy that you like the idea! Originally I thought it more interesting to keep it narrowed to the "Pony" cause that's more difficult... I've been looking at the maps of Karen Wynn Fonstad and I wondered who might come to Bree from where on what kind of errands. Bree and the "Pony" are nearly ideally situated for such challenge (if you want to keep it in canon that is). Apart from the "Pony" and the "Dragon" I think only "The Forsaken Inn" and "The Old Guesthouse" in Minas Tirith are mentioned in LOTR. And I think the latter was not an inn anymore, but only called "The Old Guesthouse". But of course there's nothing to stop us from assuming that the "Old Guesthouse" was still a live pub... And to do the name "Pub Crawl" challenge justice we should perhaps open the challenge to stories set in any one of the pubs/inns mentioned in LOTR and appendices. So that would make it: "The Green Dragon", "The Prancing Pony", "The Forsaken Inn" and "The Old Guesthouse". If you know about another pub somewhere in LOTR, please tell me. - Juno

So that would make it: "The Green Dragon", "The Prancing Pony", "The Forsaken Inn" and "The Old Guesthouse". If you know about another pub somewhere in LOTR, please tell me. What about original pubs? Erm... I know, I know - it might be getting too broad. But, I... erm... creative license, no? If you can include original pubs, count me in. I posted the intended-for-this-challenge story last night (SSP: The Laughing Oliphaunt), though it's a bit of a rough cut. Aeneid Desperately Trying to Manipulate This Challenge For Her Own Ends

Oooo... Hm.... I think it would be better to have any pub be eligible, be it canonical or original. Because all the canonical pubs are in the Arnor/Eriador area, and what if someone wanted to have a pub in Edoras or Minas Tirith? Broadening a challenge makes the nuzgul all the more difficult to avoid... Allie *eyeing nuzgul* Oh, dear... Help! [edit: "Broadening a challenge makes the nuzgul all the more difficult to annoy"? Avoid, avoid! That's the word I was looking for.]

I don't mind. Canon should be an inspiration, not a constriction of creativity. - Juno

So that would make it: "The Green Dragon", "The Prancing Pony", "The Forsaken Inn" and "The Old Guesthouse". If you know about another pub somewhere in LOTR, please tell me. There's also 'The Golden Perch' at Stock, which has 'the best beer in the Eastfarthing', according to Pippin; and 'The Floating Log' at Frogmorton. Jay

And don't forget "The Ivy Bush" a small inn on the Bywater road where the Gaffer holds forth. Alawa

Wow! I never noticed! But what do you think about limiting the challenge to canon or opening it to original pubs? - to repeat myself, I don't mind any divertions from canon - - Juno

Open! Open! All pubs! I say canon + original! Huzzah! Aeneid Fingers crossed for all pubs

Huzzah for creation! ~Allie *sings "La Vie Boheme", from Rent*: To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing, The need to express, to communicate! To going against the grain! To going insane! To going mad...

O.K., so let's hear it for general drunkeneness at any and all pub in ME. Should there be any other conditions/limitations to the challenge? I have never started a challenge before so I am not quite sure how to go from here.(I did read the faq, but I thought I'd ask what you think first). - Juno

I have never started a challenge before so I am not quite sure how to go from here.(I did read the faq, but I thought I'd ask what you think first). Ah, we need the 5 pledges now. So far, it seems like we have: Noldo, Werecat, and me. And am I sensing "maybes" from Meril and Cheryl? (Ha, that rhymes... *snert*) Argh! Just two more pledges! Just twooo mooore... Aeneid

I have never started a challenge before so I am not quite sure how to go from here.(I did read the faq, but I thought I'd ask what you think first). As Aeneid has pointed out, you need five pledges to turn a nuzgul into a challenge. I'm not sure Cheryl has a story; I think in asking for the challenge to be widened she was thinking about Marta's partly written "Best Brew", in which Marta sends a large party (Merry, Pippin, Faramir, Eomer and Gimli, amongst others) on a pub crawl through several pubs in Minas Tirith. I'll mention it to Marta and see if she's willing to sign up, but I know RL is taking most of her attention at the moment. The other thing you need to do is to work up an "official" prompt for the challenge. Your original prompt that started the thread was excellent, but I think will need revising a little to take account of the challenge being broaded to encompass any pub or inn. (You can edit that post or post a revised version in a new post.) Once you have a prompt you're happy with and five pledges to write a story for it, the admins will create the Challenge entry in the Challenges section, so people can sign up. I think the Challenge Manager post is not filled at the moment (my apologies if I've got that wrong), so I've e-mailed site manager Lyllyn to ask her to make sure someone deals with this. Hope that helps Cheers, Liz

Nope, not signing up This is one nuzgul that's not taking. But I do have a suggestion for getting the required 5 pledges: you might want to consider advertising your challenge on the HA mailing list (assuming you're a member there). I did that the other the day, and when I woke up the next morning, I think 6 people had signed up! Amanda.

Will drunken revelry been required for the story? Maya's joyful "A Merry Meeting at Bree" should qualify, even if it does feature the responsible consumption of Barliman's best! Ann

I don't think it's necessary to get drunk every time you go to a Pub... at least I don't... so I don't think that's necessary. It's just that pubs are *the* place to meet people, where anything at all can happen (or not). And as it is getting colder outside, thinking about a nice warm pub gets more and more appealing. ;-) So we need five pledges. Well, wait and see... Good idea about a HA-post. Do I have to say who wants to participate or only say that there are five or more who are interested? - Juno

No more! No more nuzgul, I say! Back, back, foul fiends! *sigh* Futile. Ouch. Give me six months or more (I'm so very overdrawn on challenges... Argh... No more after this! I'm serious!), I beg of you! I can come up with something by then! ~Allie evil nuzgul... evil forum... evil nuzgul-flingers...

Do I have to say who wants to participate or only say that there are five or more who are interested? Hi Juno it's usual for people to come and commit themselves in the thread where the challenge is being proposed, so you may want to point people here if you post at HA. I think there are now four definite takers - Werecat, Noldo, Aeneid and Meril - and I've just heard from Marta that she would be willing to enter her WIP "Best Brew". (She says she can't promise to finish it, much as I would like her to! But she will enter it.) So.... I think you have the necessary five pledges (of course, there's nothing to stop you getting more). Congratulations on creating a challenge! Now, we need a deadline (and a confirmed prompt). Deadlines are usually three, six or twelve months, depending on quickly how the members who have accepted the challenge think they can write their stories. Any thoughts from the takers (I think Meril wanted six months or more)? Cheers, Liz

I'm not sure Cheryl has a story; I think in asking for the challenge to be widened she was thinking about Marta's partly written "Best Brew" You're right, Liz. I never thought it would happen, but I think I've managed to beat this nuzgul back and not get bit (Huzzah! I have enough!) Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with though! Cheryl

So we make it six months and I point people at HA to "pub crawl" in the prospective challenges forum. I think I can do that. Yippee skippee! I made it! A real challenge! Huzzah! Thank you for your help! You are so kind, all of you! ...what a great place this is... - Juno

I'll [particpate if I can enter my poem Song Fight at the Swan and Cygent Saloon. I already wrote it though. - Chathol-linn

I'll [particpate if I can enter my poem Song Fight at the Swan and Cygent Saloon. I already wrote it though. That's not a problem, Chathol-linn - already written entries are very welcome in challenges.

Cheers guys! This is good stuff - congratulations Juno on getting her first challenge. You'll find nuzgul flinging a most addictive hobby. Six months it is then. I'll have the challenge put up - watch this space! Edit: Challenge is now uphere! Juno, please feel free to hop over to the Challenges Story Discussions forum to set up a thread for the Pub Crawl Challenge - this is for everyone to stop by, get a good pint or two and talk story. I'll link the challenge to the discussion once that's done. Do also go round and fling your nuzgul around. You might find some willing victims on HA! cheers, nrink (Challenges Manager)

I think the Challenge Manager post is not filled at the moment (my apologies if I've got that wrong), so I've e-mailed site manager Lyllyn to ask her to make sure someone deals with this. Sorry, people for letting things run to seed a bit, but my RL ring-wraiths (read bosses) are breathing down me neck. Advert for challenge manager volunteers! nrink (outgoing Challenges Manager)

Thank you very much, nrink! You really make a newbie feel welcome! I've said it before, I say it again, HASA is a great place. I put up a discussion for the challenge as you suggested. I hope it's o.k. the way I did it. Yours Juno

This sounds fun. I think I just got bitten. Back back. Oops, now I know I was bitten so a batch of haiku is bubbling through my head. RiverOtter

Hi all. Oops, now I know I was bitten so a batch of haiku is bubbling through my head. One can never have too many haiku. I'll be waiting to read some of those. On a different thread, I have a story that includes a scene at an original pub at Pelargir. It's a 1200 words scene in a 4000 words story (approximately). Does this qualify for the challenge? Werecat

Why shouldn't it qualify? I did something similar for the WWI-poetry-challenge... I think it's interesting to expand on a little scene of a longer story for a challenge. Sort of like using a microscope. Oh... and we have a disucssion about the posted challenge here. Yours Juno

Thanks, Juno. And I'll check the thread out. Werecat

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges