Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The only thing to fear...

The only thing to fear...

... is fear itself. Fear of flying. Fear of heights. Fear of spiders, snakes or other less savory creatures. Fear of the dark. Fear of small places. Those are all silly fears, of things that are really nothing to be afraid of. Right? Right! Still, most people suffer from one or another such irrational phobia. Would the heroes of Middle-earth be any different from us? I don't think so. But what secret fears might they be hiding? The Challenge: give them fear! Maybe Boromir is truly creeped out when he finds ants in his bedroll. Or Aragorn has sweaty palms and a heart thudding in his throat when he is forced to venture once more into the darkness of Moria. Perhaps Pippin was secretly nearly wetting his pants when sitting high on Treebeard's shoulders. Or... Any format: stories, drabbles, poetry etc. Inspired by last month's discussion of creepy crawlies infesting the homes of arachnophobic HA-members. And really, nuzgul bunnies are nothing to fear... Amanda

Re: The only thing to fear...

I'd be interested in this one! I can just see it now . . . CLF

Count me in too...but only with a LOOOOONG deadline!!! Vistula beating with futility at the cluster of bunnies under her desk

Hmm ... I usually try to resist Nuzgul, but I think this one has got me - count me in! Jay

Damn. Now I remember the reason I avoid this board. I don't have enough to do as it is! I'm in.

Sign me up, so long as the deadline is far enough away to give me enough time to procrastinate and still manage to get something half-way decent finished. ~V.G.

Poof, another nuzgul! Is a year enough for everyone? cheers, nrink

Hi all. Right! Still, most people suffer from one or another such irrational phobia. Would the heroes of Middle-earth be any different from us? I don't think so. But what secret fears might they be hiding? This awoke the horror writer inside me. And since I happen to have one such story in the works, count me in. Peace, Werecat

By the way...

... if anyone here wants some weird type of phobia I can dig up from my homeopathy manuals, let me know. Werecat (edited 5 seconds later for stupid typo)

*returns after... oh, 16 hours or so away from the board* *blinks* *blinks again* Did I just count 6 takers for my challenge? Wow, this nuzgul flinging thing is FUN! *feels quite proud of evil self* And Werecat, I'd love to see a list of your weird phobia. Who knows, they might ensnare inspire others to take part in the challenge too. Amanda.

So . . . what does everyone have in mind? I started writing a story yesterday where Aragorn has a serious phobia of house centipedes. We have one in our house somewhere . . .so since I'm a little grossed out by them, I decided to write a story with some in it. We started getting them around a year or so ago, and finally, I did some research and found out what they were. Here's a link, in case you aren't sure what they are. You can click here. CLF EDIT: The link is working now.

Hi, Amanda. And Werecat, I'd love to see a list of your weird phobia. Most common are fear of darkness, death, crowds and narrow places. Then there are fears of various animals: birds, crawling things/vermin, cats and dogs. *slaps head* Wait a minute! I have already written a story titled Ailurophobia (=fear of felines)! *end of SSP* OK, other types of fear: Of high places, of getting sick, of strangers, of pins and needles, of water, when looking at blood, of mirrors, of being buried alive, of -ahem- intercourse, of insanity, of evil(demons, ghosts etc), of -and during- thunderstorms, of *gigle* impotence, of knives, of robbers, of suffocation. Some of these might seem weird, but they are more common one might think at first. So, take your pick! Werecat

We started getting them around a year or so ago, and finally, I did some research and found out what they were. EW! I watched my older cat Garfield battling one of those once... I don't fear insects in general, but when he brought the half-dead bug on my bed, I fled. Werecat

Okay folks! Challenge is up and running! You will find it here! Great stuff Amanda! Here's to more nuzgul! *clink* As before, please feel free to fling your challenge on other unsuspecting victims, and do set up a home for it over at the Story Discussions forum. Have fun, everyone! cheers, nrink

Thanks, nrink! As for adding a thread in the Challenges Story Discussion forum, I'd be happy to do that, but how can I then add it to the challenge? I suspect it's only the CM who can do that. Perhaps it's easier if you also created a thread in the forum? And by the way, I just realized that Oct. 31 is the absolute perfect day for a challenge that deals with irrational fears! Since we do not celebrate Halloween here it never even crossed my mind when I posted the nuzgul! Amanda.

EW! I watched my older cat Garfield battling one of those once... I don't fear insects in general, but when he brought the half-dead bug on my bed, I fled. Strangely enough, the first one that I know was one I found under the steps last year. After that, we would see them from time to time. Then . . . last September, my mom, brother, and I were watching TV downstairs, and one of those things came racing out from under the furniture. We didn't kill it, and later it ran by my mom . . . who was in the hallway . . . Once we also found a dead one in our dogs' water bowl . . . it wasn't pleasant . . . CLF

OK, other types of fear: Of high places, of getting sick, of strangers, of pins and needles, of water, when looking at blood, **of mirrors**... Speculation: I wonder how it would play out if Galadriel had a phobia of mirrors... ~Allie (who is successfully keeping this nuzgul away from her own personal hutch for now, but can't promise such long term success)

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges