Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Skin-changers of Middle-earth

Skin-changers of Middle-earth

In 'The Hobbit' Tolkien wrote about Beorn, a man who could change into a bear. His descendants, the Beornings, are said to have the same ability. But surely, with Middle-earth being so large and inhabited by a multitude of unusual beings there is a very real possibility that the Beornings weren't the only Skin-changers. So why not write about these unique Men? There's a world of possibilities! # When and how did they acquire the ability to change into an animal?#How would Skin-changers perceive Arda, seeing that they would obviously have a much stronger bond to it than other Men? #What would their interaction with other Men be like? And for that matter, Dwarwes, Elves, Hobbits etc.? #The way of life of Skin-changers - social structure, culture, tradition, religious beliefs if any. #And most importantly of all, how did Beorn's bees get so huge? Steroids? So, any suggestions, ideas, freshly hatched nuzgul... victims of the freshly hatched nuzgul?

Re: Skin-changers of Middle-earth

I'd be interested in this one! You can count me in. CLF

Hey CLF, glad to have you aboard! That makes one. Three to go. Any other volunteers? As an afterthought - what kind of animal could a Skin-changer turn in to? Beornings turn into bears so there would probably be Skin-changers who represented other predatory animals. But what about herbivores, birds or even reptiles? Imagine writing a story about Skin-changers who could turn into birds! Flight is after all one of the biggest dreams of humankind.

*waves at this prospective challenge as it slowly sinks into the deeps of the Great Sea* Well, seems like there is little to no interest. I won't give up that easily, however. I'll go submit this to the nuzgul hutch. May it breed at prosper therein.

Give the challenge a few days. You might suggest it on the list. RiverOtter

Hey, Malva! I went ahead and put this one in the hutch; if it garners five pledges, I'll change it from nuzgul to challenge! Always, Allie

Count me in as one of the hapless victims, I'm very interested! I adopted it from the Hutch and I'll be working on it in the coming weeks.

Woot! Another one down! Glad that this story idea caught your attention, Ender. May the muses be generous to you. Malva

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges