Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Change One Thing, See What Happens

Change One Thing, See What Happens

I love AUs, and this idea has been bothering me for a while now. What would happen if one thing was changed during the Silmarillion or the Lord of the Rings? What if Turin's father, Hurin, had given into Morgoth and had told him where Gondolin was? Would it have fallen? Would Elrond, or any of his kids, for that matter, have ever been born? What about his father? What if Arwen had left Middle-earth? How would that have affected Aragorn? What if Glorfindel would have lost to the Balrog, or the elves had never gone to Aman? The possibilities are really endless. You would just write a story about the consequences of changing one thing, whether simple or castrophic. CLF

Re: Change One Thing, See What Happens

No...no...no...back foul beast!! *sigh* So many good ideas...so little time! I love the idea. Vistula ~struggling against nazgul but losing ground~

Does that mean you're in? CLF

Yerrrrgggghhh! Actually, I have something mostly put together that might just work for this challenge so *sigh* yes....count me in Vistula

No...no...no...back foul beast!! I second that sentiment! Scowls disgustedly at the my ever increasing pile of challenges and tosses another atop the stack. A long deadline, please. Karri

A long deadline, please. *whimper...whimper...applying bandaids to a bleeding ankle* Yes, that would be good! Vistula

AUs are good... *nods head* I always love to ruminate on "what if..." questions. So, yes, I can do this! I have one story, currently stand-alone, that would definitely fit this challenge, where Grima makes his move in Rohan a little earlier and thus wins himself a kingdom. One day, some day, I plan to continue this story into a full AU. A question: do the consequences of the one thing changed have to be of major impact to the larger scheme of things? My madantory Boromir-Lives fic has obviously deviated from canon but it's mostly impacting Boromir personally and some not very important OCs, but not so much the events in the Ringwar per se. In any case, count me in. Amanda.

*Bouncing in here armed to teeth in mithril* . Excuse my lateness - but as they say, better late than never! Okay, that's 3 brave volunteers to take on the nuzgul. CLF, if you're accepting stories with many little AU elements (but not having much impact on M-E history - eg Finduilas not pining away but dying of a fever; Faramir having second thoughts about letting Frodo go), you can count me in as well. I have one that should fit nicely. Btw, what kind of deadline are you looking at? cheers, nrink

Looks like we've got five people, then, because I'll do it, too! You don't have to write a story that will drastically change everything. It could simply be a small change or difference. Would a year or so be a long enough time for this? CLF

A year it is then! My hearty congratulations, CLF! I'm going to scamper off and set it up in a moment. Watch this space... cheers, nrink

Thanks!

To all who would change history, you'll find the challenge here! Happy writing! nrink

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges