Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: With one voice?

With one voice?

All the discussion about Aragorn's claim at HA, plus the fact that we are just a month away from the date of Aragorn's coronation on May 1 led me to put together this challenge idea to see if there are any takers.

With one voice?

"'Men of Gondor hear now the Steward of this Realm! Behold! one has come to claim the kingship again at last. Here is Aragorn son of Arathorn, chieftain of the Dúnedain of Arnor, Captain of the Host of the West, bearer of the Star of the North, wielder of the Sword Reforged, victorious in battle, whose hands bring healing, the Elfstone, Elessar of the line of Valandil, Isildur's son, Elendil's son of Númenor. Shall he be king and enter into the City and dwell there?'

And all the host and all the people cried yea with one voice."

"The Steward and the King", RotK

But did they? Was every in Gondor happy to see the King return? Denethor told Gandalf, 'I will not step down to be the dotard chamberlain of an upstart.... last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity.' Was he really the only Gondorian Lord to think that?

And what did the general population make of being ruled by a Ranger from the North in place of a steward's son born and bred in Minas Tirith? Especially when his bride turned out to be a half-Elf and he named his first son "child of the Elves"!

Did the inhabitants of Arnor also have their concerns? How did the Dunedain of the North feel about their Chieftain spending most of his time in the South? Were the inhabitants of Bree and of the Shire happy to find themselves part of a restored and re-united Kingdom?

The people in the lands on the borders of Arnor and Gondor must have also had their views. We know Aragorn and Éomer continued to fight together in many places, so what motivated the Easterlings or Southrons to resist? What about the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains: did they worry the restored Kingdom would levy tolls on the East-West road? Did the Men of the Vale of Anduin or who lived along the River Running welcome opportunities for increased trade or fear they would be squeezed out by this new superpower?

Then there's the future, after the passing of Aragorn. What kind of trouble did Eldarion inherit?

So the challenge idea is: Write a story, set any time after Aragorn's coronation, about characters who are less than delighted by the return of the King. Tell us their reasons, what they do about them, and what happens to them.

So, anyone interested?

Cheers, Liz

Re: With one voice?

So the challenge idea is: Write a story, set any time after Aragorn's coronation, about characters who are less than delighted by the return of the King. Tell us their reasons, what they do about them, and what happens to them.

La la la la LA LA LA LA

Not listening.

Shoo, go away, silly, nuzgul.

not listening.....

Gwynnyd

So am I safe in assuming we can write Gwynnyd down as a "yes"?

Seriously, I have an idea for this but it might be a while. This is an idea I've been playing around wit for my sequel to Lady of Gondor, but it also could pretty easily be worked into a shorter piece that I'll be working on sooner. You can put me down for a placeholder at the least, and if you give me six months I may actually have a story by the deadline.

Cheers,
Marta

So am I safe in assuming we can write Gwynnyd down as a "yes"?

I think so

Go on Gwynnyd - put in a placeholder, ask us for a really long deadline... but you must know how much I would love to see your take on this one!

Did the inhabitants of Arnor also have their concerns? How did the Dunedain of the North feel about their Chieftain spending most of his time in the South?
Didn't Aragorn spend alot of the time in the North? Someone told me that Annuminas was rebuilt to be the capital of the reunited kingdom, which would inply that Aragorn spent a lot of the time in the North. However, I can't actually find a reference for this (so it could be wrong).

Anyway, when would stories for this have to be written by? I'm possibly interested, despite the number of stories I'm already writing, but an very busy over then next few months.

Nerwen

Didn't Aragorn spend alot of the time in the North?

From Appendix B The Tale of Years:
"1436 King Elessar rides north. and dwells for a while by Lake Evendim. He comes to the Brandywine Bridge, and there greets his friends. He gives the Star of the Dúnedain to Master Samwise, and Elanor is made a maid of honour to Queen Arwen."

And from a version of the discarded Epilogue to LotR - published in HoMe IX (Sauron Defeated) - in which Sam receives a letter inviting him to this meeting:
'But he's [Aragorn] coming north again, as he hasn't done since you was a mite.(17) But now his house is ready.'

Note 17 says: I do not know of any other reference to this northern journey of Aragorn in the early years of his reign.

The inference I always drew from the entry in App B and its context against the preceeding entries (which could be entirely erroneous on my part, of course) is that Aragorn hasn't returned North until that point (more than 15 years after he assumed the crown in Gondor). Even from the discarded Epilogue, it seems there is only a passing reference to this being the first visit North in about 15 years. Of course, 15 years is the blink of an eye if you're a Dunedain....

I guess we don't really know how he divided his time between the two kingdoms (my personal take is that he would be more likely to spend time in the South given he knows the North is loyal to him). I'm more than happy to change the challenge description to "so much of his time in the South".

Someone told me that Annuminas was rebuilt to be the capital of the reunited kingdom, which would inply that Aragorn spent a lot of the time in the North.

The reference is in App A:
'Our King, we call him; and when he comes north to his house in Annúminas restored and stays for a while by Lake Evendim, then everyone in the Shire is glad. But he does not enter this land and binds himself by the law that he has made, that none of the Big People shall pass its borders. But he rides often with many fair people to the Great Bridge, and there he welcomes his friends, and any others who wish to see him; and some ride away with him and stay in his house as long as they have a mind. Thain Peregrin has been there many times; and so has Master Samwise the Mayor. His daughter Elanor the Fair is one of the maids of Queen Evenstar.'

Edit Oops, I mean to comment that Aragorn wouldn't necessarily oversee the rebuilding himself. He is a King with many servants, after all! [end of edit]

Anyway, when would stories for this have to be written by? I'm possibly interested, despite the number of stories I'm already writing, but an very busy over then next few months.

Deadline is still up for discussuion - and everyone seems to be begging for a long deadline. Or we could all just put placeholders in, which allow you to submit the story after the deadline

So, can we sign you up Nerwen?
Cheers, Liz

... I guess we don't really know how he divided his time between the two kingdoms (my personal take is that he would be more likely to spend time in the South given he knows the North is loyal to him).

It would probably be more logical for him to be in the South, especially over the first few years. However, I'd have thought that one of the reasons for him to be in the North afterwards would be that while Gondor was already a functioning state Arnor wasn't and would need to be rebuilt into one...

For the second bit, this says that Annuminas was rebuilt but it doesn't say whether it was the capital or not...

Deadline is still up for discussuion - and everyone seems to be begging for a long deadline. Or we could all just put placeholders in, which allow you to submit the story after the deadline

Oh, is that what placeholders are for. I had wondered but never actually found an answer.

So, can we sign you up Nerwen?
Yes. I've got the start of a plan for it already now I just need time to write it!

Nerwen

I'd have thought that one of the reasons for him to be in the North afterwards would be that while Gondor was already a functioning state Arnor wasn't and would need to be rebuilt into one...
True. We don't know how long the stay in the North is. That quote from App A refers to: "Thain Peregrin has been there many times; and so has Master Samwise the Mayor." which suggests he is spending a fair amount of time in the North at some point. But I still think not until he is secure in Gondor - and IMHO that might still cause some mutterings amongst the Northern Dunedain.

For the second bit, this says that Annuminas was rebuilt but it doesn't say whether it was the capital or not...
True - but I can't (quickly) find any references to Fornost, which would be the other main option, being the Norhern capital or even being rebuilt.

Yes. I've got the start of a plan for it already now I just need time to write it!
Excellent!

And talking of deadlines....

Ouch

That would be the sound of Marta twisting my arm to incorporate this nuzgul into a fic I already had planned. But as I need to write another fic first - which is not even the next one in line - I would definitely need a very long deadline or a placeholder....

Cheers, Liz

But I still think not until he is secure in Gondor - and IMHO that might still cause some mutterings amongst the Northern Dunedain
Indeed, true. [note this down for the story].

True - but I can't (quickly) find any references to Fornost, which would be the other main option, being the Norhern capital or even being rebuilt.
I'm confused now. Where there two capitals or one? I had thought that one kingdom would have one capital but I suppose it would be a great political issue of where it was to be.

And talking of deadlines....

Ouch

That would be the sound of Marta twisting my arm to incorporate this nuzgul into a fic I already had planned. But as I need to write another fic first - which is not even the next one in line - I would definitely need a very long deadline or a placeholder....

Its your idea so you should write it...

As far as I'm concered the longer the deadline the better, and the more likely I'm to get the story compleated by it. Although the way its developing at the moment, I might end up posting the first bit of it at the weekend (I'm supposed to be writing something else for Sat, but I may well end up writing this instead. :s I really should write one story at a time, but I'm not good at that , I just keep writing bits of everything and not get anything finished).

Nerwen

I'm confused now. Where there two capitals or one? I had thought that one kingdom would have one capital but I suppose it would be a great political issue of where it was to be.

From the resources section (bless HASA resources!)

Entry for Annúminas:
Annúminas was established by Elendil, and is described as his 'chief city.' After the War of the Last Alliance the number of men of Westernesse dwindled, and the city was abandoned and fell into ruin.
Entry for Fornost Erain:
After the death of Earendur in 861 Arnor was broken into three, and the eldest son in the direct line became King of Arthedain ruling from Fornost. He was recorded as Amlaith of Fornost. Arvedui was the last King to rule Arthedain, and during his reign Fornost was taken by the Witch-king. After the battle of Fornost in 1975 that land was deserted, 'leaving only green mounds in the grassy hills.'
Does that clarify things?

Deadlinel to be agreed when we have five signed up, but looking on the long-term side...

Cheers, Liz

Capitals: I'd actually been thinking of when Aragorn became king and whether Gondor and Arnor had separate capitals or not...
Sorry for not being clearer on what I was actually asking. (still if I'm actually making any sense I think I'm doing well...)

And thank you for ansering all my questions. I really should know more or do proper research for myself, but really don't have the energy at the moment.

Nerwen

As I said onlist I'm already writing a story on this theme and would be happy to enter it. How many does that make? And how many do we need?

That makes three, we need two more. Who else is interested?

Actually, Dwim, it makes five: Nerwen, Morwen, Marta, Tanaqui and Gwynnyd (I've just heard back from her on private e-mail that I've managed to twist her arm quite effectively, but I'll ask her to confirm in the thread).

*Liz does happy dance*

So.... everyone seemed happy with the wording apart from a request (which I am quite happy with) to change "How did the Dunedain of the North feel about their Chieftain spending most of his time in the South?" to "How did the Dunedain of the North feel about their Chieftain spending so much of his time in the South".

As to deadlines: pretty much everyone has asked for a really long one, so one suggestion would be to make it 1 May 2005 (eek!)?

Cheers, Liz

Actually, Dwim, it makes five: Nerwen, Morwen, Marta, Tanaqui and Gwynnyd (I've just heard back from her on private e-mail that I've managed to twist her arm quite effectively, but I'll ask her to confirm in the thread).

Might as well take my fingers out of my ears (see first post in this thread if you are confused). I can still hear the siren song.

Sure, just because I have four fics in various stages of completion and a couple more stacked up in the 'I've gotta find time to write this' queue, why not take on another challenge? If work expands to fill the available time, I should be able to compress more work into the time available, right?

(tosses hat into the ring) that makes 5!

You did say a loong deadline!

Gwynnyd

(tosses hat into the ring) that makes 5!

Yay! Thanks for confirming it!

You did say a loong deadline!

I did. Can we confirm 1 May 2005?

Cheers, Liz

And it's up. Feel free to discuss it here. Cheers, Marta

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges