Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Movie!Faramir Challenge

Movie!Faramir Challenge

All right. In a few days time, we will all have seen TTT on the big screen. And likely, we will all have had time to howl in outrage at least once.

Movie!Faramir is one of those inspiring howls or at least astonishment. So I'd like to challenge the group to write one of the following:

1) When Faramir is sitting in Henneth Annun just before news of Gollum's presence is brought, he's staring off into space. What is he thinking that would help make his decisions comprehensible to we who love Book!Faramir?

2) At Osgiliath, what is it particularly that inspires Faramir to at last let Frodo and Sam go? Is it one incident? Is it a number of things that all fell together in that instant?

Are there any interested parties out there?

Re: Movie!Faramir Challenge

Me! Me! Me!!!!

I've been planning on addressing these questions anyway. I saw the movie a third time yesterday and clued in to something about Faramir that made me feel a lot better about the whole thing.

peace...adrienne

I was probably going to do this anyway to process the film, so count me in.

Adrienne, would love to know what you clued into...

My guess is the thing that inspires Faramir to let them go was somewhere in the 10 minutes of additional footage that was cut to allow Brego the wonder horse to french kiss Aragorn...

I don't know if I have the stomach for this challenge and I positively DESPISE movie verse fics... but I wanted to thank you for suggesting this challenge. I think that particular scene is going to turn my stomach until the SE DVD comes out – and I PRAY PJ has the good sense to put some or all of those scenes back in!

Ariel

But you have to admit that for a horse, Brego does a good job. ;-)

That's kind of the point of the challenge--to give you, the highly irritated or variations thereof fan the chance to do with Movie!Faramir what you think needs to be done to make him palatable to you. It's the "If *I* had been the script writer on those scenes, I would've done it *this* way..." challenge.

Do you think I should make this a general movieverse challenge? That way, there'll be more opportunities for us to fill in some of those 'blanks' or work with characterization we dislike in an effort to 'redeem' it to ourselves, if only in our private playground.

That way, there'll be more opportunities for us to fill in some of those 'blanks' or work with characterization we dislike in an effort to 'redeem' it to ourselves, if only in our private playground.

I'd like a general challenge. From what I hear of it, by the time I get to see the movie Gimli will have had his pride absolutely devastated, from being tossed around to not being able to drink like a civil dwarf to falling flat from Arod's back to losing his best friend ever to a scrubby ranger who, for Tolkien's sake, already gets too much attention from just about everyone. I shall surely want to restore some of that pride back by working on any Gimli scene that might seem even slightly salvageable.

All right, then.

How about if I try doing it this way?

"The movie has of course made changes to the books. Some changes we accept, others we feel fall short of expectations, and some outright violate our expectations in a way we feel is barely acceptable if that.

Pick a scene from any of the two movies that particularly bothers you, either due to continuity, or due to issues of characterization. Then, while remaining within the movieverse, attempt to explain or fill the gap in a way that would enhance the movie for you as a lover of the books.

If this is a persistent characterization problem, try to pick the moment that you feel is defining of the wrongness of the characterization and work with it."

What say folks?

I tried talking to my non-obssessed cousin who also watched TTT the same day I did, and he said that Movie! Faramir's characterization seemed more natural than in the books. Well, he had a minor point.

So say, why don't we go ahead and put a gap-filler like the ones here.

1. What happened between Faramir and the hobbits from the Osgilliath incident to the time the hobbits left again for Mordor.

2. What do the Rangers of Ithilien think about Faramir's decisions at various points.

I'm not sure if I'm signing for this, since I have a lot of fic to work on. But then, why not? Expect the answer to be out by April. (when I graduate from grade school, and have all the time in the world to write)

Expect the answer to be out by April.

I'd have no problem with this challenge extending for a whole year. After all, now we have to wait for RoTK to come out. :-S

What say folks?

It sounds good. It'll be a problem not to slip into bookieverse, but it's nothing another DVD viewing followed by another visit to the nearest theatre won't help.

There are just so many characters wrong in these movies one can cherrypick their favourite horrifying scene but, since this one is TTT-only, we'll have to narrow down choice.

Hm, have we five volunteers yet to make it an official challenge? Adri, Una, Dwim and I make four... Niliwen and Ariel count in?

This folks says we likes it, yes we does. There are certainly a lot of gaps in both movies so far that seem to scream for some good interior dialogue. Any rules about how we'd go about doing this? You can count me in on being interested in doing this. *nod*

All right, then, I'm seeing four interested. I'll probably end up doing one myself (go figure) so I'll try to write this up and post it by New Year's.

If I can choose ANY scene from TTT, I will accept it then...

Of course, IMHO, Osgiliath is beyond saving, but I already KNOW how I am going to fix Merry and Pippin's scenes with Treebeard... count me in.

Ariel

Yes! Make this a challenge! Count me in Dim! This IS going to be the subject for my fourth fic. Now I know what I'm doing next year.

Anyway, I'm amazed by how quick this thread grew in a matter of hours. Wow, we're really outraged about Faramir in the movies, aren't we?

Make this a challenge NOW. I will definitely get in on it...I was pretty fond of TTT with the exception of Movie!Faramir, the Elves at Helm's Deep, etc. I'd love a chance to make it "right", if only here.

One thing that bugged me: How the heck was Movie!Elrond making plans to go to the Undying Lands before the One Ring was destroyed? Maybe I'm crazy, but I remember reading something about how the bearers of the Three could not pass over the sea before the One was destroyed. If I *am* right about this point, I'd like to see someone try to fix it. ;)

-Tindomiel

Your wish is already a reality. Head over to Challenges and click on "see all challenges." It's at the bottom, since it's on for a year. Have fun!

Hm...wondering if my story 'Keeping Secrets' fits. What do you think?

Deborah

I'm first! I'm first!!! I just entered "In the Caverns." I'm glad this challenge was extended to cover the whole film because, in retrospect, the Faramir bits didn't bother me nearly as much as the mis-characterization of the Rohirrim.

peace...adrienne

Hey Adrienne, I'm moving discussion here, if you don't mind.

Hope I'm posting this in the right place and everything.

I stumbled across a story on ff.net that would be perfect for the Movie!Faramir challenge. Don't think the author is One of Us, though I'm not sure. Should I post a link to it here?

Go ahead and post it in the "Challenges: Story Discussions" forum. Also post it on list, so everyone can enjoy it, provided it's under the R rating ban.

I began drafting my entry for this challenge already. I will put it up this summer, I promise! It involves the rangers, and Damrod accidentally finding out about the Ring. Hehehe!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges