Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Black Breath

Black Breath

I don't think this has been covered before....

In this thread over Altariel's forum, after Dwim had kindly explained Aragorn's character to me so I could understand Altariel's lovely story properly (sorry Dwim, I just don't "get" Aragorn, but you are helping lots!), I remarked:

Of course, we don't really know what happened in that rather mystic epsiode in the Houses of Healing where Aragorn went chasing after Faramir while he was under the influence of the Black Breath....

To which quite a lot of people said "Yeah, and I'd like to see that!" After a bit of prodding, Dwim volunteered to write it, at which point JeannieMac admitted she already had a rough version of this story on her hard disk.

Now, to broaden things out a bit, Faramir is not the only one to suffer from the Black Breath to the point of becoming catatonic. Named characters who suffer as well include Eowyn and Merry (and Merry gets a dose at Bree as well), while Aragorn and the Twins have to go and heal lots of unnamed people. From the descriptions of the Houses of Healing, I get the impression that Faramir, Eowyn and Merry all have slightly different experiences of the Black Breath (of course, Faramir has been suffering longest).

So, the challenge I would like to propose is to write a story which either:
* describes a particular character's experience of what suffering from the Black Breath - and being cured of it by Aragorn and the Twins - is like. What do Aragorn and Faramir "say" to each other in whatever plane they're on that makes Faramir recognise his King the instant he wakes up? And what would Aragorn say to bring back Eowyn who is partly in this state because of her unrequited love? And would Merry still have kept his irrepressable humour when Aragorn finds him?
or
* describes Aragorn's or the Twins' experiences in healing people - and maybe explores the ways in which different people react to the Black Breath.

I have to say, I'm not convinced I want (or would be able) to write this one myself, but I would really love to see what other people come up with.

(I'd also like to point out that I was partly inspired to suggest this challenge because I love Isabeau's interpretation of the Black Breath in Captain My Captain when Heth has her encounter with the Witch King.)

Does it have potential?

Cheers, Liz

Re: Black Breath

I'm up for it - as mentioned on the other thread, I have the beginnings of something for this languishing on my hard drive. It will be Faramir and Aragorn, if and when I can get my mental block unstuck...but I really hope somebody volunteers for the Aragorn-Eowyn version, because I would *love* to see that.

sorry Dwim, I just don't "get" Aragorn, but you are helping lots!

No problem, and you're welcome. That gives me a mission, you realize: Write to convert! You shall convert to the cult of Aragorn Adorers or... or... I'll think of something with pointy teeth for you! ;-)

I think it has potential, the only difficulty I see (as someone currently struggling with this) is that a) there is a sense in which distance is better, and b) vocabulary for mind-meldish experiences lacking...

Personally, I find it more interesting to look at people prior to their utter collapse, such that they need Aragorn to come rescue them from the brink of comatose demise, or else afterwards. Other candidates for Black Breath counseling services: the surviving Rangers from Sarn Ford. Riders who were relatively close to Théoden (although I'm sure PTSD would interfere with a clear diagnosis), the hobbit gatewardens who *weren't* ridden down by the Black Riders in the Shire.

You shall convert to the cult of Aragorn Adorers or... or... I'll think of something with pointy teeth for you! ;-)

Ooh-errr *Liz looks scared* OK then, I will be converted! (And absolutely anything's possible given that Lady Aranel managed to make me not only finally find book-Legolas interesting but even write a fic about him - when I had spent 25 years convinced he was the dullest member of the fellowship and I am still essentially indifferent to the charms of OB.)

I like your ideas for other people affected by the Black Breath and I'm quite happy for the challenge to be formulated in a different way. I suppose I was personally interested in finding out how people saw the "mind meldish experiences" - and what I was expecting to get was a lot of metaphors!! You know, characters wandering round surreal landscapes that represent their state of mind.... But the broader the challenge, the more likely I am to find another three vic... volunteers, I guess?

Cheers, Liz

(I'd also like to point out that I was partly inspired to suggest this challenge because I love Isabeau's interpretation of the Black Breath in Captain My Captain when Heth has her encounter with the Witch King.)

Ooooooo, look Dwim! I bred another nuzgul, sort of! And how nice--I'm already innoculated against it!

Seriously, thanks Liz!

* describes a particular character's experience of what suffering from the Black Breath - and being cured of it by Aragorn and the Twins - is like.

I do crucial things like attend classes, and Liz comes up with yet another challenge idea. Frankly, I'm impressed.

But why does it have to be just the three? There are many other people who were exposed to the black breath. Merry at Bree, much of the rest of Bree (especially Bill Ferny). And quite possibly Fatty Bolger. Excuse me, my Scouring of the Shire fic may just have grown wings.

How would the hobbits, not knowing anything about black breath or Nazgul, handle it. Would someone have left the Shire to get help -- possibly to Bree, where they might have found one of the Dunedain Rangers to help? And how would surviving this experience effect his respectability among other hobbits (and hence his marriageability)?

All these questions go beyond a simple black breath fic, I know, but I think I could do a short one about the hobbits' attempt to get help with Fatty. I think he more than likely did get at least a small dose:

As he [Fatty] stared out into the gloom, a black shadow moved under the trees; the gate seemed to open of its own accord and close again without a sound. Terror seized him. He shrank back, and for a moment he stood trembling in the hall. Then he shut and locked the door.

The night deepened. There came the soft sound of horses led with stealth along the lane. Outside the gate they stopped, and three black figures entered, like shades of night creeping across the ground.

And then later on:

Fatty Bolger had not been idle. As soon as he saw the dark shapes creep from the garden, he knew that he must run for it, or perish. And run he did, out of the back door, through the garden, and over the fields. When he reached the nearest house, more than a mile away, he collaped on the oorstep. 'No, no, no!' he was crying. 'No, not me! I haven't got it!'

This actually reminds me of Merry's reaction to the Black Breath in RotK, but I've quoted enough for one message, so I won't go there. I'm of the opinion that Fatty received a dose of the Black Breath -- not on the scale of Merry, Eowyn, and Faramir, but not so small that he was perfectly fine.

Liz, if I may write this fic for the challenge, you may count me in. The danged thing's going to be written now, it's just a matter of whether it will count toward the challenge or not.

Marta

Hi Marta

I do crucial things like attend classes, and Liz comes up with yet another challenge idea. Frankly, I'm impressed.

I'll keep roping 'em in if you're willing to get close enough to find out exactly what manner of beasts they really are.

I love your idea - I'd forgotten about Fatty and what would be behind his gibbering. And Dwim has suggested a few other people subject to the Black Breath. Given this originally started out as another Faramir-related idea (hmm, do I sense a trend....?), I thought I did pretty well to widen it as far as I did! I was also looking to offer something to the Elf-fanciers by mentioning the Twins.

So, how about something more along the lines of:

"Faramir, Eowyn and Merry are the most obvious victims of the Black Breath, but there are many others: Fatty Bolger, the hobbit gatewardens at the Brandywine gate when the Riders break through, the surviving Rangers from Sarn Ford, riders who were close to Theoden when the Witch King attacked, and many ordinary soldiers in Minas Tirith.

The challenge is to write a story exploring what happens when a particular character suffers from the Black Breath. You could look at what the experience is like for that person or tell the tale of the friends who try to help them."

Now: I have Dwim, JeannieMac and Marta signed up. What's the best way to find another two ah... volunteers?

Cheers, Liz

PS JeannieMac - I will get round to reading your Arwen/Aragorn fic - sorry I haven't got there yet, but as you can see, I am rather beset at the moment....

I must qualify my entry--at the moment, I have 3, count them, 3, versions of this story running around in my head. Of the three, only one of them does the hallucinogenic "you are there" mind-meldish stuff, and as nicely pseudo-philosophical as I think it is, I think it also blows chunks as a story.

The other two are being difficult, but I think I have a handle on one of them that is going to work. Problem: this would be well after the cure for Nazgûl Halitosis. I don't know if that remove is going to be out of bounds, particularly since said cure isn't the main focus of the fic, but rather an element.

"To add" to your list of victims: the victims of the Witch-king when he was still the Witch-king *of Angmar* in the North. There has to be some reason why Imladris (at the least) knows how to cure ills associated with Nazgûl (morgul blades--may I point your way to yet another nuzgûl occupying the Hutch?), and why the Dúnedain would be associated with the only plant that seems to have an effect on the Black Breath. It may have become a lost technique in Gondor, but one imagines that the North would've, of necessity, had a much more vivid memory of the days when every healer probably had to know something about the Black Breath. Heck, someone had to name the phenomenon, and it's not called "Black Breath" in Gondor, it's "Black Shadow", iirc from "The Houses of Healing." So there's been enough experience of the phenomenon in the North over the years for it to have a specific designation and known treatment.

That gives room for a *lot* of fic (really large fics about the fall of the Rhudaur, Cardolan, and the war against Angmar by Arthedain). Eärnur's people would also have suffered from the phenomenon, doubtless, when they came north to help against the Witch-king. In the South, Boromir I was stabbed by a Morgûl blade (presumably wielded by a Nazgûl)--one imagines that in addition to the damage the blade itself did, he probably had a severe case of this malady.

Personally, I think it'd be a lot of fun to see the Master of the Houses of Healing frantically trying to diagnose his patients, pouring through moldy old documents in search of some record—that'd be another way to get the Southern account of it in by hook or crook.

Ok, I'm done babbling. Hope this hooks a few more for this Challenge.

"To add" to your list of victims

Wonderful! Even more people affected by the Black Breath/Black Shadow - even more races and locations - even more stories to be written....

There has to be some reason why Imladris (at the least) knows how to cure ills associated with Nazgûl

Oh well, you see my explanation was just "wise master Elrond knows everything and taught it all to Aragorn"

this would be well after the cure for Nazgûl Halitosis. I don't know if that remove is going to be out of bounds, particularly since said cure isn't the main focus of the fic, but rather an element.

Dwim, the challenge as I re-worded it (and quite happy to take more amendments) was what happens when a particular character suffers from the Black Breath - which is actually not very specific on timescales. I see your fic fitting in fine dealing with the aftermath in some way (similarly with Marta's suggestion of how having the Black Breath affected Fatty's marriage prospects...) So I don't see a problem

(Although I am disappointed you now don't seem to be writing the "conversation" between Aragorn and Faramir...)

And hey, if I can currently be engaged on writing a fic for the "Behind Closed Doors" challenge in which probably less than 10 per cent of the text actually relates to the brothel and most of the other 90 per cent is Denethor and Faramir arguing politics at a Council meeting, I think we can surely word this particular challenge in a way that allows your fic in.

Cheers, Liz

PS: And your idea for seeing the Master of the Houses of Healing completely stumped sounds hilarious

Another race to add to your list of victims, Liz.

"Then about a year ago a messenger came to Dain, not from Moria -- from Mordor: a horseman in the night, who called Dain to his gate. The Lord Sauron the Great, so he said, wished for our friendship."

And later:

"At that his [the "horseman in the night"'s] breath came like the hiss of snakes, and all who stood by shuddered."

Both from FotR:"The Council of Elrond."

Is it possible that Dain's folk suffered a dose of the Black Breath? Remember the "horseman in the night" from Mordor (who I can only assume was a Nazgul) visited Erebor three times. How would the dwarves be affected?

Just a thought,

Marta

"Nazgul Halitosis" -

Wow, some great ideas...hope we get some more vic-I mean, volunteers to write some of them!

Dwim, I hear ya about the difficulties of writing the Faramir-Aragorn Mind Meld. Mine keeps sliding down into the realm of terrible purple prose. Once I can get the two of them "talking" it starts to work better, but given that if they are talking, it's *inside Faramir's head* it's hard to get them to that point in a way that doesn't sound all New-Age-y and ridiculous.

Tanaqui - not to worry, I can see you've got a lot on your plate! Thanks for remembering, and whenever you get a chance to have a look is fine...

I have to say, I'm not convinced I want (or would be able) to write this one myself

You know, I think LoTR is driving me prematurely senile. I have been having so many "senior moments" since I finally got to see RoTK on Monday!

Including my above comment in the post that kicked off this thread. Marta has kindly pointed out that, far from not being able to write a "Black Breath" fic myself. my half completed fic for the "Behind Closed Doors" challenge also fits here.

(Yes, that's right: a brothel and the Black Breath in the same fic....)

Soooo..... that just leaves one more vic...um volunteer to find.

Cheers, Liz

Marta has kindly pointed out that, far from not being able to write a "Black Breath" fic myself. my half completed fic for the "Behind Closed Doors" challenge also fits here.

(Yes, that's right: a brothel and the Black Breath in the same fic....)

I thought so, but I wasn't sure. Now I can update my drafted post to HA -- should be appearing later tonight -- and make an even more enpassioned (is that even a word?) plea.

Marta

Oh well, you see my explanation was just "wise master Elrond knows everything and taught it all to Aragorn"

"Paging Elrond McCoy! New affliction in Ward One! Repeat: brand new affliction never before seen by man in Ward One. Bring cure!"

Just imagine DeForest Kelly with pointy ears. "I'm a Doctor, Estel, not an Elf. Wait..." Ok, I'm sorry to inflict that on you.

I think it was Gandalf or Elrond in "The Council of Elrond" who noted that it was perilous to study the arts of the Enemy, even to find a way to counter them. That, to me, says that there wouldn't be a cure just lying around. There'd be a reason for the Elves of Imladris and the Dúnedain of the North (possibly; Aragorn at least knows this) to know what the Black Breath is and how to deal with it. Like any good surgeon, they'd probably have treated the problem empirically at first, using what experience of other psychological disorders to guide them ("war-fetters" as Altariel puts it, or PTSD as we say) and would eventually have discovered a method for reaching the person. But I don't think that would be an accidental thing, where the Elves just know how to fix it, even Elrond.

I see your fic fitting in fine dealing with the aftermath in some way (similarly with Marta's suggestion of how having the Black Breath affected Fatty's marriage prospects...) So I don't see a problem

Cool.

(Although I am disappointed you now don't seem to be writing the "conversation" between Aragorn and Faramir...)

Count no fics before they are hatched. This is a matter of finding the center while retaining control of the elements so that the fic doesn't read badly or overwhelm in a bad way. As I said in an e-mail to my beta for this sucker: I remember now why I'd avoided this scene in the past: It's HARD!

Good luck with Denethor and Faramir—and watch those two, they are trouble-makers. Sounds like it should be fun to write.

JeannieMac wrote:

Dwim, I hear ya about the difficulties of writing the Faramir-Aragorn Mind Meld. Mine keeps sliding down into the realm of terrible purple prose. Once I can get the two of them "talking" it starts to work better, but given that if they are talking, it's *inside Faramir's head* it's hard to get them to that point in a way that doesn't sound all New-Age-y and ridiculous.

That's exactly the problem. Imitating the flow of a dream sequence, which is not always terribly logical in the strict sense, while still having a definite direction and cohesion enough to be interesting (I keep thinking back to that Buffy Episode that did four dream sequences very successfully, but it had the advantage of being visual, just as a dream is for we sighted types) and avoiding the slide into ridiculous self-help/New Age clichés and fake oracularity is a balancing act that doesn't want to balance, though I'm working on it.

Good luck with yours! Might be fun, when we are finished, to compare the stillborns, as it were, and see where things *didn't* go and why. That goes for anyone dealing in the dream sequence itself.

Coming rather late to all this, but this is a very interesting thread and a very interesting challenge – not that I’m volunteering mind.

Just to point out that there was a Nazgul swoop on Edoras, while Gandalf was there with Pippin after he had looked in the Palantir, although most of the inhabitants had already evacuated to Dunharrow by then, I think, though there might have been some mustering of Riders going on. My Rohirric OC was there at the time and still suffers some effects two years later – but, alas, not enough to enter the challenge so I’m not going to be the fifth victim.

By the way I can recommend a brilliant fic that has already explored this territory, but I don't want to point a general finger at it because of spoilerage. Anyone interested could e-mail me if they liked.

not that I’m volunteering mind.

Darn, alawa - for a moment I though I'd found my fifth victim. Thanks for pointing out another Nazgul incident. They got everywhere didn't they?

I think I'll finish my fic and then get back to you on your recommendation as I'd rather not have too many other influences until I'm done.

Cheers, Liz

PS to Dwim: Are you going to write that LoTR/ST crossover then? Your explanation for the level of knowledge in Rivendell sounds right to me - as I have pointed out before, I am not that interested in Elrond or Aragorn and haven't thought that deeply about these things, hence my very simplistic approach to this stuff. Although, as my next nuzgul is about Denethor and Thorongil, I guess I'm going to have to pay more attention *sigh*

Dwim wrote:

Good luck with yours! Might be fun, when we are finished, to compare the stillborns, as it were, and see where things *didn't* go and why. That goes for anyone dealing in the dream sequence itself.

Thanks! Same to you...I look forward to seeing it - and yes, it would definitely be fun to compare notes after we're finished.

Off to make another attempt at wrestling the thing into submission...

Hi, I'm new to Henneth Annun, and I've never posted a fic before, but I have two rattling around in my head as daydreams that would work for this, because I find the terror and illness induced by the presence of the Nazgul very intriguing. One is about Faramir's experience with the Black Breath, and I am tentatively titling it "Fields of Asphodel". The other is a story set many years before the War of the Ring, and it attempts to explain both Aragorn's apparent familiarity with the Nazgul when they arrive in Bree, and his statement outside Moria that he had been there once before, but that the memory was foul and he would not speak of it. I've no idea if anyone would like to see these written, but if this challenge does materialize, I would love to submit.

bkscatslifeisgood

First of all, hi and welcome to HASA!

Second of all - yes we would most certaiinly love to see you write and post both your fics - that's what HASA is all about, encouraging people to write and share so we can all enjoy reading!! The one about Aragorn's experience sounds particularly intriguing, btw.

*waves to Dwim and Marta*

Yoo hoo!! We now have five victims!! Oops, I mean volunteers. Five volunteers: Bkscatslifeisgood, Dwim, JeannieMac, Marta and me.

So it's officially a challenge? And do we need to sort some official words out (since I got a bit lost with the many variations/suggestions posted earlier in this thread)?

Cheers, Liz

his statement outside Moria that he had been there once before, but that the memory was foul and he would not speak of it

Now I've always wanted to see that written.

Avon

Hi, I'm new to Henneth Annun, and I've never posted a fic before, but I have two rattling around in my head as daydreams that would work for this, because I find the terror and illness induced by the presence of the Nazgul very intriguing.

So do I, and apparently at least three other people share the feeling. That's what HASA's all about. (Welcome, by the way.)

Your story ideas sound intriguing, especially the second one. For the record you can always submit more than one story to the same challenge.

I'll be posting a potential challenge description in a minute. Check it out and let me know if you think your idea would fit.

Marta

*waves to Dwim and Marta*

Yoo hoo!! We now have five victims!! Oops, I mean volunteers. Five volunteers: Bkscatslifeisgood, Dwim, JeannieMac, Marta and me.

Woot! We do indeed, Liz.

do we need to sort some official words out (since I got a bit lost with the many variations/suggestions posted earlier in this thread)?

Here's my first go. Feel free to offer suggestions.

Challenge: The Black Breath
Proposed Deadline: 15 April 2004

Proposed Summary:

"Nazgul!" Gandalf said of them, "We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire." The elf Gildor later told Frodo, "Flee them! Speak no words to them! They are deadly."

Those who dared to approach the Nine suffered from the Black Breath. Faramir, Eowyn and Merry are the most obvious victims, but there are many others: Fatty Bolger, the hobbit gatewardens at the Brandywine gate when the Riders break through, the surviving Rangers from Sarn Ford, the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, riders who were close to Theoden when the Witch King attacked, and many ordinary soldiers in Minas Tirith.

The challenge is to write a story exploring what happens when any particular character suffers from the Black Breath at any time. How would peoples who had rarely encountered the Nazgul before react to this strange malady, and where would they turn for help? You could look at what the experience is like for that person or tell the story of the friends who try to help them.

~*~

Keep in mind -- there are currently challenges closing on 09 April ("Behind Closed Doors") and 21 April ("New Members Challenge"). Is this too busy? Would you guys like this challenge to close later, some time in May perhaps?

Marta

BKscatslifeisgood: Hi and welcome. And yes, I would like to see someone tackle Aragorn's first visit to Moria--I've never managed to figure out what exactly the circumstances were, though it's not for lack of trying.

Do I sense another challenge or nuzgûl brewing?

Re: Black Breath Challenge. Marta, looks like a very workable challenge text to me. My only quibble: April 15= AIIIEEE USA TAX DAY!! Although... really, it is such an *appropriate* challenge for when you've spent all day trying to figure out the bloody tax schedules. *shudder*

Liz, any objections to Marta's summary?

PS to Dwim: Are you going to write that LoTR/ST crossover then?

Dear lord, no! My funny bones are brittle--they just aren't able to sustain a fic for very long. Hence I am only good for one-liners.

Your explanation for the level of knowledge in Rivendell sounds right to me - as I have pointed out before, I am not that interested in Elrond or Aragorn and haven't thought that deeply about these things, hence my very simplistic approach to this stuff. Although, as my next nuzgul is about Denethor and Thorongil, I guess I'm going to have to pay more attention *sigh*

Aragorn is a fun character--he's been a lot of places and he's seen the world from the bottom and the top and survived both experiences without becoming Denethor. Give him a chance, and I think he'll win you over eventually. I say this without, of course, any prejudice as to his merits whatsoever. [needs innocent smilely face] And if you like Denethor, I think you can find your way to liking Aragorn: remember, the two are described as being very much alike. Hence the behavior of one can be very instructive in interpreting and understanding the character of the other.

BKscatslifeisgood: Hi and welcome. And yes, I would like to see someone tackle Aragorn's first visit to Moria--I've never managed to figure out what exactly the circumstances were, though it's not for lack of trying.

Do I sense another challenge or nuzgûl brewing?

Nyet! Only Liz is alloed to breed nuzgulim, otherwise there won't be enough weeks on the calendar.

Although I could definitely be susceptible to this one. I've been thinking of why Aragorn chose to go to Rohan when he did. Is it possible it wasn't all kingly ambitions, that there was a reason he needed to disappear from the North for a while? Imagine it -- he was pursued by something, needed to disappear quickly. He remembers hearing Gandalf mention Moria once and doesn't realize exactly how horrible it is. He figures the perfect way to escape whatever's pursuing him is to go south, and the Mines strike him as a way to get over the mountains without being followed. So he does. He comes out the other side a much more mature man and goes on to Rohan doing his duty honourably, yada, yada, yada.

Re: Black Breath Challenge. Marta, looks like a very workable challenge text to me. My only quibble: April 15= AIIIEEE USA TAX DAY!!

You see, Dwim, I'm a broke university student, so this date does not hold the same fear it does for others. I hadn't thought of that. When do you suggest we re-schedule it for? There's another challenge due on the 21st, though maybe not everyone will be participating.

PS- BKscatslifeisgood, you should check out the New Member Challenge -- you'd be eligible, and it would be fun.

Mind you, my idea of fun is pelting innocent passers-by with fanged plot bunnies...

Marta

You see, Dwim, I'm a broke university student, so this date does not hold the same fear it does for others. I hadn't thought of that. When do you suggest we re-schedule it for? There's another challenge due on the 21st, though maybe not everyone will be participating.

I'm not seriously suggesting a reschedule, it is just the horror that tax day raises in my mind. And being a very broke university student as well, all my dollars are precious. Plus, I just hate the process. Really, having a bunch of stories about the Black Breath to read on the fifteenth might be a good way to end the day!

Re: the Moria incident, my best guess is this: Balin et al disappear. Some years later, Dwalin hires a mercenary to go see what he can find out. Who do we think he would hire in the Dwim!verse? That'd give Aragorn a reason to enter that's not simply adventuring, and that'd give him a way out fairly quickly (other scenarios tend to be like yours: something is pursuing him or forces him inside, but then there's the issue of how he would get out before starving to death not knowing where he was going; it also is problematic if his enemies are Orcs and would have no reason to really fear entering Moria--they could just keep chasing him or, if they preferred, camp out and prevent him from coming out for food).

However, I've not got any clear idea of what would induce Aragorn to accept a contract like that. Plus there's that whole "when would I write this?" problem. But anyhow... Perhaps we should move this to another thread...

Marta's description looks fine to me. The only quibble I would have is that my black breath fic is mainly about an entirely invented incident involving Faramir (although I will be tying it into a canon episode at the end, I think) but the description looks a little like it is restricting people to those particular characters and episodes. Could we have "The challenge is to write a story exploring what happens when any particular character suffers from the Black Breath at any time." instead?

The deadline is fine for me, as my entry will also be going in the "Behind Closed Doors" challenge which closes the week before. (and, somehow, tax filing day does seem appropriate!)

Aragorn is a fun character--he's been a lot of places and he's seen the world from the bottom and the top and survived both experiences without becoming Denethor.

Oh well, you see my problem is more complex than just not really liking Aragorn I do really like him as Strider - and even as Aragorn, up to the end of FoTR and into the chase across Rohan. I think it's when he meets Eomer and starts to become all Kingly that I suddenly find him hard to "get". I suspect my reasons are something to do with Pippin's comment when he first sees Faramir: "Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet less incaluable and remote." Faramir seems more rounded as a character than Aragorn does in the second half of the book.

Now, I can see Aragorn in his younger days (and as Thorongil) when he's still wrestling with who and what he is being much more interesting....especially with the contrast with Denethor (I have a bunch of nuzgulim about the two of them competing for men's - and women's! - affections).

And your Aragorn story sounds plausible - not to mention interesting.

Cheers, Liz

This definitely sounds an interesting challenge (nope, I'm not volunteering as it seems far too hard to write).

I can only remember one fic about Aragorn in Moria; it's called 'Return' and is part of the MC by Cassia and Siobhan. I'd post a link, but fanfiction.net is filtered from this computer (I've no idea why as it doesn't have adult stories and SoA and here do).

Marta's description looks fine to me. The only quibble I would have is that my black breath fic is mainly about an entirely invented incident involving Faramir (although I will be tying it into a canon episode at the end, I think) but the description looks a little like it is restricting people to those particular characters and episodes.

I have updated the description I posted earlier (a few posts up in this thread - # 20237) with Liz's suggestions. Liz, is this what you had in mind? Does anyone else have any ideas?

Marta

Liz, is this what you had in mind?

It is. Thanks!

Marta - the challenge looks great to me - thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing the results...well, everyone else's results anyway.

It is up.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges