Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Quickies for 2004

Quickies for 2004

Let the gathering of ideas begin. Remember: a quickie has to be doable in 3 pages or less. It should not (ideally) involve shifting points of view.

And we've been doing them by quarters, which seems to be a good strategy.

Elemmire has contributed these ideas:

-Pippin gathers his army of Tooks.
-Bilbo returns to Bag-End to find his effects being auctioned off.
-Bilbo is propositioned by a Dwarf.
-Gimli's reunion with Galadriel in the West.
-Gimli goes to Erebor - with Legolas in tow.
-Elrond learns of Arwen's choice.
-Faramir's first crush.
-Húrin is brought before Morgoth.
-The death of Elros Tar-Minyatur.
-Whatever happened to Amandil?

Erin's Daughter long ago suggested the following:

-How about the thoughts of one or two of the participants in the final battle of the Last Alliance the night before the batle? Or the scene in the command tent? And or the the thoughts of those same characters (those who are still alive!) the night after the battle?

Marta suggested:

- Any scene, any era, any character. Any everything EXCEPT you are
only allowed to use one sense. Anything you write must be observed
through your chosen sense -- for example, if you choose to describe
something visual you can't record anything felt, heard, smelt, or
tasted.

- Gandalf arriving in Lothlorien after his battle with the Balrog --
what would a wood elf's reaction be to seeing Gandalf wandering
around (he'd be naked at this point, which could add some
interesting element)

- Merry returning to Crickhollow and telling Fatty what has happened
to the other three hobbits, before the other three arrive

- Lobelia S.-B.'s arrest

- One of the dwarves having to teach Bilbo to make bird calls after
the disastrous "roast mutton" incident

- Someone visits Eomer while he's imprisoned in Edoras

- The return of Shadowfax to Rohan (or subsequent re-disappearance
when Gandalf calls him)

- reuniting of Finwe, Feanor, and Miriel (or any two of the three)
in Mandos

Dwim's idea of a good time on a Friday night in January would be:

-Take the viewpoint of a hobbit during the Long Winter of 2758. Write any scene that would illuminate Gandalf's comment that "[T]hat was the time to see their courage, and their pity one for another. It was by their pity as much as by their tough, uncomplaining courage that they survived" (UT, "The Quest of Erebor", Appendix, Extracts from the earlier version, 345).

-Any encounter between one of the Dunlendings after Helm's Deep with one of his Rohirric 'captors'

-The interview between Gandalf the White and Saruman as seen from Gríma's point of view.

-Ghan-buri-ghan's decision to make himself known to the Rohirrim: how did it come about?

-Gimli presenting Dwalin and his father with what's left of the book from the Chamber of Mazarbul.

-Write King Brand's interview with a Nazgûl (See FoTR, "The Council of Elrond")

-One of Grond's makers reflects upon his work.

-Beren and Celeborn take time out of the festivities to talk about groom-gifts upon the occasion of Dior's marriage to Nimloth. [cough]

HASA reader Aelinmir suggested the following:

-When Gollum is a guest at Thranduils halls, from Gollum's pov or the elven guards in charge of him

Who else has something they'd like to see done? Put 'em here. If we get a nice list going, it'll be down to picking and choosing.

Re: Quickies for 2004

Three more:

1. The great pearl Nimphelos--show the thoughts of the elven pearl fisher who discovered it, or the reactions of Cirdan, Thingol, or the dwarves when they first are presented with it.

2. The initial reaction of any relative (be it parent, sibling, cousin, whoever) to the Travellers' return to the Shire--preferably when said relative has a face-to-face encounter.

3. Eol's forging of Anglachel.

BTW--while Marta's Merry/Fatty idea is good, I don't think it will fly canonically, since the text clearly shows Frodo & Pippin meet Fatty at the same time Merry does, when they release Fatty from the Lockholes. Sorry.

Regina

BTW--while Marta's Merry/Fatty idea is good, I don't think it will fly canonically, since the text clearly shows Frodo & Pippin meet Fatty at the same time Merry does, when they release Fatty from the Lockholes. Sorry.

Ah. Should have been clearer on that one. I was referring to the scene in Fellowship, I think "A Conspiracy Unmasked." Merry meets Farmer Maggot, Frodo, Sam, and Pippin when Maggot takes them to the Buckleberry Ferry, then Merry rides ahead to Crickhollow while Frodo, Sam, and Pippin walk on. Fatty is at Crickhollow when Merry arrives, having stayed behind. I imagine there would have to be some scene here, where Merry tells Fatty about seeing the Black Rider on the other shore, for instance, or how scared the other three were (not to mention Maggot's involvement).

So the scene I'm envisoning is before they even set out for the Old Forest.

Marta

Ah. Should have been clearer on that one. I was referring to the scene in Fellowship, I think "A Conspiracy Unmasked."

Ah, ha! I was wondering about this, the same as Regina. This changes things considerably.

~Nessime

A few more-

-The meeting of Turgon and Húrin in the middle of the Fifth Battle

-The thoughts of a slave from Mordor released after the war

- Fëanor fashions a Palantír *dangles it in front of Earmire* (it was considered to have been Fëanor who made them, wasn't it?)

-The thoughts of the person/people lighting one of the beacons of Gondor

Ah ha! I was wondering about this, the same as Regina. This changes things considerably.

Yes, it would! I was thinking... wait! Lock-holes! No, back up!

Must remember that not everyone is inside my head (a very good thing).

Marta

For what it's worth, the Crickhollow reference was clear enough to me. So that's still in the running. I'd also like to open up the possibility of retaining a few of the unwritten prompts from this year--maybe one or two per quarter as a holdover. If anyone had a favorite that didn't get written, now would be the time to point it out.

In any case, keep them coming, people. Especially if you're into the Silm speak up, because I'm rather weak in that area and so don't come up with those ideas as easily.

Although another Beren/Luthien-centric nuzgul that just occured to me:

-Write of the sending of the Silmaril to Dior.

And then my inevitable angstbunnies suggested:

-Maedhros's last meeting with Maglor.

For good measure:

-'Ohtar', many years later, presenting a ten-year old Valandil (age arbitrary--old enough to understand, but still a child) with the shards of Narsil.

Alternately:

-Valandil seeks out Estelmo with some questions about the Gladden Fields.

One great scene (sorry, Dwim, not Sim-based) that occurred to me is Faramir going to the Rath Dinen to get Elessar's crown. I always assumed that he'd know all about the pyre incident, but now that I sit down to think of it, everyone who would have told him about it has been away at Cormallen. I mean, he'd almost certainly know something but exactly what and how much could vary a bit. This could make for an interesting scene when he sees the ruined House of the Stewards.

Marta

Some Silm ones:

Nerdanel and Fëanor's first meeting
Oromë goes hunting
What it was like to see the Moon rise for the first time (and remember, it rose in the West!)
An ordinary refugee's view of the fall of Gondolin
Why Tulkas is called "Tulkas who Laughs"
Silmarien and the founding of the lordship of Andúnië
A Man of Middle-earth is taught how to practice agriculture by the visiting Númenóreans, the Sea-kings

Celandine

How about:

1. Elros' thoughts upon first making landfall on Numenor;

2. Celebrimbor's rejection of Curufin when the latter is expelled from Nargothrond.

Regina

And here are some ideas I originally proposed for the onlist crossover challenge that weren't used:

-Gandalf with the Old Took;
-the fight to survive in the Shire during the Great Plague;
-what the Tooks who ran away to sea thought when they first saw the ocean (if one fell in with the Corsairs of Umbar, could be tied in to the pirate challenge);
-the thoughts of one of the hobbit archers who defended Fornost against the Witch-king, or of one of the wives they left behind;
-The beginning of excavating either the Great Smials or Brandy Hall;
-Bullrider Took battling Orcs at the Greenfields;
-the reflections of the sons of Merry & Pippin watching them leave for Gondor for the last time;
-Rosie in old age on a summer's day at Bag End;
-a conversation between Galadriel & Narvi after Celebrimbor's death;
-a confrontation between Gloin & Gimli over the friendship with Legolas (we always see this from the Mirkwood POV--how about the dwarf POV?).
-Balin's farewell to the other dwarves as he leaves for Moria.

Regina

One challenge idea that I found quite interesting over at BurpingTroll.com was a vignette (<1,000 words, I think) was about doors opening all over Middle-earth. Someone did a hobbit waiting for his invitation to Bilbo's birthday party and thinking a knock at the door would be the postman. I did Fatty and the whole incident with the Black Riders knocking down his door. Of course it doesn't have to be hobbit-centric. A quickie that revolves around a door opening or closing could be quite good, and there are lots of possibilities.

This might not work, though, for the same reason my suggestion for a scene observed from just one sense might not: it's more a mini-challenge than a defined scene.

Another scene to go along with Regina's above:

-a confrontation between Gloin & Gimli over the friendship with Legolas

could be a conversation between Legolas and one of the elves at Arwen's wedding on the ride to Fangorn. I know, this isn't a Dwarven perspective, but this could be very interesting because Gimli would be present, and you'd expect these Elves to have some respect for the hero of the Ring War. Perhaps a quick conversation where Celeborn gives Legolas a "what would your father say about you fraternizing with dwarves?" scene is what I'm imagining. Maybe something along the lines of that it's okay when your only other choices are men, wizards, and hobbits, but now that you're around your own kind... you guys get the idea.

Marta

Some more-

-Oromë gives Huan to Celegorm
-Boromir receives the Horn of Gondor from his father, or for that matter, Denethor receives it from Ecthelion
- The first meeting of Tarannon and Berúthiel and her cats

Here are a couple more...

- Helm Hammerhand at Helm's Deep during the Long Winter - stalking the enemy camps at night perhaps?
- Saruman appears at Fréaláf's crowning, bringing gifts
- Beren, Steward of Gondor, gives Saruman the keys to Orthanc

~Nessime

- Fëanor fashions a Palantír *dangles it in front of Earmire*

You would! But in all conscience, I have to finish that happy Faramir story sometime. In the meanwhile, why not -

-- the gifting of the seven stones to the Numenoreans.
-- Idril and Aredhel have a conversation about Turgon and/or Elenwe.
-- Eldarion's first official act as king after Elessar's death.
-- Elu reappears out of Nan Elmoth, with Melian, and meets with his followers.

*grumbles at Acacea and disappears*

I have another one-

Anborn asks Legolas about the black squirrels in Mirkwood

Re: Hey Marta!

- Any scene, any era, any character. Any everything EXCEPT you are
only allowed to use one sense. Anything you write must be observed
through your chosen sense -- for example, if you choose to describe
something visual you can't record anything felt, heard, smelt, or
tasted.

I know this isn't a current challenge but it intrigued me (it's along the lines of something I tried in In the Stillness) and I was wondering:

In your conception of this would you allow narration (Eg: He/I moved into the room and crossed to the window) or ONLY the chosen sense?

Avon

In your conception of this would you allow narration (Eg: He/I moved into the room and crossed to the window) or ONLY the chosen sense?

Hmm... toughie. Probably only as was observable by the chosen sense. But you can get creative and do narration through that one sense in a lot of cases. Say you were doing theFellowship walking toward Caras Galadhon, blindfolded, and your chosen sense was hearing. You could have something along the lines of "The leaves on the forest floor rustled as they were disturbed by nine pairs of feet making their way toward Caras Galadhon".

Marta

Well, I know it isn't actually a current challenge - but I did it anyway. Thanks for the inspiration, Marta.

For Gondor!

Avon

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges