Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: ...like a red haired stepchild

...like a red haired stepchild

Anybody who has been in contact with me here at HASA knows that I have an undying love for redheads. Hence this tri-faceted idea for a challenge:

1- Write about what it is like to be one of the few redheads in Middle earth. Use known canon characters (Mahedros, Amrod, Amras, Dwarves could probably work- any others that you can find!) or make an OC/OFC. Middle earth needs more carrot tops, anyway, IMO. Bonus points for setting it during a less frequently-written time period.

2- Write about Middle earth's adopted children or anyone taken under a non-biological parent's wing.

3- And the combination: Write about those scorned characters who might have felt like a "red haired stepchild." Explore the feelings of persons who feel unwanted or persecuted for being different.

This may be way too vague- I'm still new at all this!

Re: ...like a red haired stepchild

Thevina wrote:

I have an undying love for redheads

It's nice to be loved

Well... *blushes* I am a redhead too. So the color doesn't quite grow out of my head that way, but that is easily solved.

Oh you two are cute! Hmmm...I'm highly tempted now to start a poll on member hair colour.

Thevina wrote:

I have an undying love for redheads

It's nice to be loved

Seconded!

This is crazy! My favorite authors at HASA, somewhat anonymous as you all are, have red hair.

I always knew I had great taste.

That and redheads are so unique, I should hardly be surprised that you talented folk share my favorite hair color.

Then again, nobody seems to excited about my challenge idea. Oh well. At least one of the winning Mithril Awards stories was about Amrod and Amras.

~Thevina, basking in the redhaired glory
(p.s. at least in Harry Potter there's a whole fabulous family of redheads. Go Weasleys!!)

Then again, nobody seems to excited about my challenge idea. Oh well. At least one of the winning Mithril Awards stories was about Amrod and Amras.

Give it some time, Thevina. As for myself, I don't think there's much space left on the ankles--got three long-term nuzguls on one ankle, and two nuzguls on the other. It's a wonder a)I'm not anemic and b)I can walk at all.

Thev, you could always include a fiery redhead in Fatty Bolger's story. *hint, hint...*

~Nessime

BTW does having lots of red highlights count? My maternal grandmother was a bonafide redhead, and both my mother and I have always lamented the fact that we turned out to be brunettes. And to add insult to injury, I still burn and freckle just like a redhead.

BTW does having lots of red highlights count?

Err....yes does it? I still have a few left..
You didn't say anything about natural red highlights did you?

You didn't say anything about natural red highlights did you?

Especially if I've been out in the sun, which also means I have added to my collection of freckles!

I still have a few left...

The silver ones are threatening to outnumber the red, but there are a few still there. I used to cover the grey - which I started getting while still in my twenties - but it got to be too much bother, especially as I have very long, thick hair.

~Nessime

Especially if I've been out in the sun, which also means I have added to my collection of freckles!

Ouch!

I used to cover the grey - which I started getting while still in my twenties

You have my sympathy. It's happened to me too and in a fairly big way. Unfortunately I have black hair so it can be quite distinct. Fortunately most of it is stays hidden inside and doesn't show up unless I part my hair accordingly.

Thev, if you like red heads you should check out one of the cutest - CultofCullen ;-)

Avon
(Also red-haired by choice ;-))

Thev wrote:

(p.s. at least in Harry Potter there's a whole fabulous family of redheads. Go Weasleys!!)

My family is about that large too - and three of us are redheads, three have dark to black hair. There's been an increasing amount of silver contrasting with the red in my hair, I've noticed, since I turned thirty!

Oh please, please someone back me on this one for creating a poll on hair colour!!

Wow Avon... I like him!! Though I think my favorite redheaded man is still Eric Stolz. Must get a drool cup. I have a picture of Ron Weasley on my wall at work, but I'm thinking I need a new one. He looks awfully young...

Go, you other wild redheads! Nessime, of course red highlights count. And you can give me half of that thick hair, while you're at it. Good idea about including it in the hobbit story. Now *that* would be a rarity, a red-haired hobbit. But s/he could be just the impetus to rail against Saruman and Grima...

Isabeau, you be careful with all those nuzgul! I hear the bites are quite sleep-depriving.

As an aside, I contacted my local library to find the etymology of the phrase "red haired stepchild" and they could give me a definition from the Dictionary of American Regional English, but they can't seem to find the source. Hmmmmm...

As an aside, I contacted my local library to find the etymology of the phrase "red haired stepchild" and they could give me a definition from the Dictionary of American Regional English, but they can't seem to find the source.

Have you ever come across anything re: the seventh son of a seventh son? Just out of curiosity. I'd love to find the origin of this one too.

~Nessime

This is crazy! My favorite authors at HASA, somewhat anonymous as you all are, have red hair.

As a dark-haired person, I'm feeling outnumbered here! ;-) Either my sister or I has a patch of reddish hair at the nape of our necks, if you shine light on it. This doesn't often happen, and I can't remember which of us it is. It is probably the most Irish thing about one of us, aside from a few freckles.

Hm. Let's work on this concept a little. I think 3 probably has the most potential. We have a number of Maedhros writers already (or at least, Ithilwen has about 10 Maedhros stories! Hi Ithilwen!), so I'm not sure a simple appeal to write about him or the twins would do the job.

What about this permutation:

Broadly, write the metaphorical red-headed stepchild for a character whom it might suit. Bonus points if you work the phrase in and an explanation of how it came about in M-e (who was, in Rohan, the prototypical 'red-headed stepchild' to whom character X is being compared? In Gondor? In Mirkwood?). It could also be acceptable to have a variation on the phrase that seems more suitable to the region at hand. Something like, "Don't be a red-coated filly" comes to mind for Rohan.

More specifically: Write Maedhros *as* the "red-headed stepchild"--he's the most reasonable of the Fëanorians (for awhile), the oldest son, and presumably he was under the most stress of all the sons of Fëanor, being the head of the family after Mad Dad. I'm sure he occasionally wondered why he'd been given this particular family in moments of self-pity.

Broadly, write the metaphorical red-headed stepchild for a character whom it might suit. Bonus points if you work the phrase in and an explanation of how it came about in M-e (who was, in Rohan, the prototypical 'red-headed stepchild' to whom character X is being compared? In Gondor? In Mirkwood?). It could also be acceptable to have a variation on the phrase that seems more suitable to the region at hand. Something like, "Don't be a red-coated filly" comes to mind for Rohan.

I like that, especially changing the phrase to make it more relevant to particular cultures within Middle earth! Sorry to be so quiet of late- I was at Mythcon. After I get some more sleep, I'll be back to posting.

Sorry to be so quiet of late- I was at Mythcon. After I get some more sleep, I'll be back to posting.

Welcome back! We're looking forward to hearing all about your adventures...after you get some much deserved rest, that is.

~Nessime

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges