Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: January 2010 Birthday Cards

January 2010 Birthday Cards

First of all: Happy New Year to all HASA members! I wish you joy in 2010 - and of course much fun with our new & improved HASA!

Birthday folk: Is your birthday in January and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread. Create a birthday workshop story to collect your birthday cards in one place, and enter it into the January Challenge.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the birthday workshop story the recipient of your birthday card has - hopefully - created.

Please take note of the fact that the workshop system has been overhauled - you might have to join it again for the upgraded HASA. Follow the above link - it will give you further instructions.

If you need further help, ask here in this thread or e-mail me - I will do my best to help!

January, 3 - Imhiriel: ...for this year, I'd like to see scenes about diplomacy. Between allies or enemies, showing success or failure, and any time or place.

January, 11 - Princess of Gondor: ...all I want is a nice, possibly romantic, could make me cry, story about Aragorn and Arwen.

January, 7 - Jay of Lasgalen: I'd love anything about Elladan and Elrohir as adult, deadly warriors, or anything slashy with Elrohir/Legolas.

January, 17 - Aruthir: ...I'd like something to do with snow... and Nazgûl.

Re: January 2010 Birthday Cards

And I will try out the new system as one of with (one of?) the most early birthday date (and I hope I do it all correctly myself Wink...).

My birthday is on the 3rd, and for this year, I'd like to see scenes about diplomacy. Between allies or enemies, showing success or failure, and any time or place.

Imhiriel

Hi, Imhiriel.  I have your present ready, but AFAICT, you haven't added your birthday story.  I looked at 

http://www.henneth-annun.net/workshop/workshop.cfm?wsid=85

and didn't see any stories listed there.  But perhaps I missed it?

Hi Maeglin,

I'm very much looking forward to your present - thank you and wow, you are quick! Would you please post it here in this forum for all to see - this is the right place to collect each month's offerings (and comments) in one spot.

I haven't yet created a workshop story (so thanks for the reminder!): I'm at my parents' computer until some time in the middle of next week and am having some difficulties with the bl****y thing on top of having to figure out HASA's new gadgets. Once I'm on my on PC again, I will create the workshop story, and then you can add your story there, too.

Imhiriel

Hi, Imhiriel.  Your present is actually a story I've had in mind for a while, and your request gave me the impetus to finish it. It's a bit long to post here, but here is a link; Failure. My take on a famous failure of First Age Diplomacy - hope you're not a fan of the Elf Lord who "fails" here!

Best,

Maeglin

Hiya,

This is my first time doing this, so I'm gonna stay simple.

My birthday is the 11th and all I want is a nice, possibly romantic, could make me cry, story about Aragorn and Arwen =)

~Princess of Gondor~

That was a fascinating time you set the story in - just in between all the cracks of canon.

What I especially liked was the formal and well, diplomatically {#emotions_dlg.wink} detached tone at the beginning, laying out the facts quite soberly - and with spin - before the conflict arises.

Dior is a character I wish was written more about, because I have only a vague image of him and his circumstances in my mind. Thank you for providing me an important facet to this! (And don't worry, I don't have strong feelings for Erestor either way Smile.)

One question: it's not quite clear to me how and why Dior is so certain about the fate of the Noldor. Perhaps you could elaborate that last paragraph a little bit?

Thank you very much for the story - this was exactly what what I had in mind with my request.

I've just created the birthday workshop story - would you please add the story here?

Imhiriel

PoG,

welcome to the birthday cards forum! As you can see, I have added your request above to the top post: this makes it easier for authors searching for the prompts of the month to find them in one place.

If you need further help when your presents come in (re: birthday workshop and/or January Challenge), please look at that top post, yourself. It gives some basic instructions and additional links.

Imhiriel
Birthday Cards Volunteer

For Princess of Gondor

I know it's not romance and it doesn't have Aragorn in it, but this piece started out as a story for you so I'll just post it. Blame Arwen.

The First Day

Arwen stood on the great platform in front of the doors to the Golden Hall, silent and still as a statue. It was hours since the company left, most of them never to return, and they had now disappeared beyond even the keen sight of the Eldar. But she did not care, for the heart needed no eyes. Perceiving her mood, the others had left her in peace.

"I should have gone with them. Spent a few more days in their company," she whispered. But deep inside she knew that it would only have prolonged the inevitable. And it was better that way; they had taken their leave in peace and away from any questioning eyes. She hugged herself and tried to substitute her slender arms with the protective embrace of her father and failed. Already the feel of his touch had faded to a mere memory.

'Do not leave me. Not yet,' she had wanted to cry out even as she knew it to be foolish. Their paths had divided today, never to cross each other again until they had reached their journey's end – until the world's end.

'Was it worth it?' a little voice, so easily quenched when he was here, asked. And 'of course,' her heart answered and meant it. Had she not been to the sea, once, and felt nothing but yearning for the valley of her childhood? Had she not realised, generations of men ago, that her fate's path did not lie to the west? So was it fate, then, that had made her fall in love with a mortal, or merely coincidence? And what was this love? Reason or trigger for this life-altering decision?

It must be the trigger, she decided, for that meant that no guilt could be placed. That did not mean that the decision was easily made, though, for fate was often cruel and to embrace it took courage. At last the heart had spoken the loudest and she had made that leap of faith. Now she stood here and all was said and done. Everything irreversibly changed. And today was the first day of the rest of her life, as the mortal saying went. And maybe she would begin to understand.

As if in answer to the unvoiced statement that she was mortal now, the wind picked up and blew her unbound hair into her face. It fluttered like a black banner in the storm. She would have to braid and pin it up as was the fashion of men. She was a maiden no longer, after all.

Arwen noticed a few children playing in the courtyard below and sighed. She could not remember when she had last seen children before she had entered mortal lands. Were they not the sign of hope and renewal, men's own way of achieving immortality? She passed a hand over her belly thoughtfully and wondered if, no: when, it would be her own children that she watched playing. That yearning caught her with a fierceness that was almost overwhelming and she gasped. All this was no longer a far-off dream but realty!

'Soon. Take heart. Your life is laid out for you; renew, create, heal. Only you can do it,' another voice said. It was gentle and warming. "You have a people that look up to you. Your wisdom will be needed in the coming years. All will be well.'

Yes, it would be. The knowledge did not relieve the aching in her heart at that final parting, but it was a step towards peace.

Re: For Princess of Gondor

Vilwarin,

Thank you so much!!  I absolutely love it!                                                     

Arwen is one of my favorite characters and when I think about her my thoughts mostly revolve around when she became mortal, and I just love how you wrote it!

Thanks!

~Princess of Gondor~

My birthday is on the 17th, and if it's not too much to ask I'd like something to do with snow... and Nazgûl.

{#emotions_dlg.wink}

Well, Imhiriel, I sort of wrote something for you. Looking at it now, it's way longer and there's much less diplomacy in it than I'd intended. Eldarion derailed things, unfortunately. But I hope you don't mind too much, and you can find the story here: Junior Diplomacy.

I'm sorry it's late and not a drabble, but the Muse bit me a little later and more savagely than intended...

...but isn't that always the way?

Laugh out loud

Where should I post your story? I don;t see anything in the 2010 Birthday workshops, is all...

Glad you liked the story, Imhiriel.  Obviously I do need to clear up the ending though, because Dior is the one who fails!  Well, they both fail, but Dior the King (why there were no regents, I do not know) gets himself, most of his family, and many of his people killed, to little purpose.  That's the worst way a king can fail.  Erestor fails as well, but he is (at the time of the story) just an ambassador following Maedhros' instructions. 

One of the more interesting questions left by the Silmarillion is; why didn't Dior just hand over the jewel?  The Feanorians were better-armed, battle-hardened, and known Kinslayers.  Why did a people who got mauled by Dwarves choose to defy the most ferocious warriors in Ennor, when they didn't have to?  Unlike the Feanorians, they had sworn no binding oaths, afaik. 

I see two possibilities:  One, the Silmarils were like the Ring, but more so (no one could willingly give them up).  Two, Dior was the immature leader I portrayed, (charitably) 'lacking the experience' to properly interpret his own foresight; he did, after all, correctly foresee that the Feanorians won't retake his Silmaril. 

Not sure if JRRT or CT ever discussed this issue - perhaps in HOME?

Best,

Maeglin

One, the Silmarils were like the Ring, but more so (no one could willingly give them up)

I always saw it this way, personally. Hence why even Morgoth himself wouldn't give them away when Ungoliant asked so very nicely... Wink

I forgot about this!

My birthday was on 7th January, but I'd love anything about Elladan and Elrohir as adult, deadly warriors, or anything slashy with Elrohir/Legolas. 

Jay

Happy Late Birthday, Imhiriel/Re: January 2010 Birthday Cards

Happy Belated Birthday, ImhirielWave!  This story has been sitting on the back-burner awhile, begging me to finish it; and your prompt inspired me to do so, since Diplomacy is a major factor in it.  It's semi-completed, in that it still needs a bit of polish.  I wanted to put the thing in Beta, but couldn't figure out how to link to it.

Enjoy!

The Battle of the Kitchen:

http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?stid=8139

Raksha

Happy Late Birthday, Jay/Re: January 2010 Birthday Cards

I forgot about this!

My birthday was on 7th January, but I'd love anything about Elladan and Elrohir as adult, deadly warriors, or anything slashy with Elrohir/Legolas. 

Jay

I now present my very first, and probably last, slash ficlet:  600 words, Elrohir and Legolas.  I assume it's AU; since I don't think Elrohir swung that way in Tolkien's Middle-earth; but I hope you enjoy the piece.   Hope you had a happy birthday, Jay!

The Breath of Spring

The sun was rising over the city we had saved; the Enemy's darkness had receded, our foster-brother was safely abed and taking much-needed rest.  At my side, my twin yawned and stretched.

"Would you not come to bed, brother?" Elladan asked.

Yes I would, but not with him.  All we'd do was sleep.  And I had something else in mind; namely getting some tail.  Not just any tail, some blond Mirkwood Elven-tail. 

And there he was, nearly the prettiest Elf I'd seen in half an Age, traipsing along behind, mumbling about the flowers of the Pelennor.  At least he had stopped mooning over Estel.  My mortal foster-brother had the hots for only one person in Middle-earth.  He wasn't going to have her until Dad gave her hand to him in marriage; and the prohibition had only made Estel more grumpy over the years.  Meanwhile, I had fancied the pretty blond Greenleaf since seeing him at home just a few months ago, and hadn't bagged him yet; an omission I intended to remedy as soon as possible.  Elladan had spent the miserable ride down South thinking only of slaying Sauron's creatures; I had heartened myself with desires of a different sort. 

"There is a fair beech grove yonder, with a fine stream, that I would visit," Legolas was saying.  "I glimpsed it yesterday, at the battle's end.  I long to cool my weary feet in the water ; and greet the trees.  Come with me?"

"Surely," I replied; hoping he didn't see me grin.  I liked trees just as much as much as most Elves; but it was rumored that the Mirkwood Elves talked more to the trees than they did their wives.  It was sweet. 

So we saddled up and rode to the beech grove.  Legolas was right; it was a nice little copse, shady but letting in the sun; with a stream full of sweet, clear water.  We both took off our boots and dipped bare toes in the stream and just let our cares drift away in the tiny ripples.  I was feeling so content that I had almost forgotten my original intent to seduce Greenleaf, when suddenly he unlaced his tunic and shirt and shucked them both.  Then he picked up some windflowers, and thrust one at me.  "Ah, the flowers that bloom in the Spring," Legolas exclaimed.  "See how they thrive, even in the shadow of Sauron's Evil."

"Yes, very nice."  To me, flowers were useful only as gifts or for healing properties.  But Legolas did look as fine holding a handful of posies as he did shooting that awesome bow of his at onrushing Orcs.

Legolas' eyes gleamed.  He laughed and threw the flowers high into the air.  "Come here, Elrohir," he cried; holding his arms wide. 

I did.  Next thing I knew, he bore me to the ground, his woodsy breath in my ear.  "I have yearned for this moment lo these many moons, son of Elrond," Legolas whispered.  "I feared that we would die in battle before I could have you."

"Still alive, son of Thranduil," I laughed, which wasn't easy to do, since those cool hands of his were busy making me crazy.  "And all yours!"

And then there was no more time or chance for talk.  We stripped and set about making each other happy.  It seems that Sindar lords of Mirkwood are as tireless in these matters as are the Noldor.  Score one for the Wood-elves!  Score two, three, and four!

He truly is "Long under tree"; though my grandmother meant her words to measure time rather than other things.

Re: Happy Late Birthday, Jay/January 2010 Birthday Cards

*Snort*

**Giggle*

LOL!!

Oh, thank you - this is priceless!  I love Elrohir's single-minded determination in pursuit of Legolas, and the neat way the tables are turned - not that Elrohir seems to be complaining

Legolas is wonderfully fey and wood-elfy here, but seems just as intent on seducing Elrohir (and I like that he has no trouble telling the twins apart). 

He truly is "Long under tree"  Oh dear, I've never going to be able to read that line again without snickering ...

Yes, I'm quite sure this is AU - they're nothing like Tolkien's Elrohir and Legolas, nor mine; but I love them both!

Thank you, thank you, thank you :>)

Jay

Re: Happy Late Birthday, Jay/January 2010 Birthday Cards

I'm so glad you liked the piece, Jay.  I did want to turn tables and thwart expectations a bit.  And the ending line took me by surprise too; I had had something else in mind when Galadriel's marvelous verse came into my head.  Bad, bad meRoll eyes.

I would think that during a wartime campaign, the twins might wear different armbands or something; or just that Legolas is very keen-eyed and observant. 

Really glad the story amused you - it was rather a lark to write.

Happy early birthday, Aruthir!

It's snowing again here, so I'm giving you some virtual snow to go with this drabble...

Restraint

"Too cold to chase'em. Let the damn tarks freeze."  

They think I don't hear them, my orcs, but I do. Their whining does not bother me, though, as long as they obey, and do so swiftly.

And cold? I suppose it is, by the cloudy breath that escapes from every living creature, but it is a long time since I either needed breath or felt the weather of the world.

There is a deep trail in the snow, leading north towards the Ice Bay. Sometimes prophecy needs no outside help. Let Arvedui last-king find his own doom. Fornost is mine.

Ooh; cold snowy night and cold-hearted Witch-King.  Very well-written, Nath!

Ooo, what a lovely- shall we say chilling? Wink- story to wake up to today! Thankyou so much!

Here you go, PoG!  Not a happy story, but Arwen did choose both the sweet and the bitter:

F. A. 110

This was not what she expected or had been given to understand from the tales of Luthien and Beren.  

Nor Idril and Tuor - the tales had said that Tuor had felt the bite of old age at only sixty!  That could not have been, and the few survivors of the Sirion colony that she had known, had claimed no frost had touched Tuor - the couple had simply sought their destiny upon the Sea.

Today her husband had reached two hundred years of age.  Aragorn was still strong, though his hair was white, his face creased, and he tired far more easily than he had in the glades of Lothlorien so long ago.

She loved him no less.  His aging, in itself, did not trouble her overmuch.  She had always understood he would age and would soon leave Arda - had she not seen many Chieftains bounce around Imladris as youths, and then, seemingly but a few seasons later, return to Imladris at the end of their lives, creaky, sickly, old?  No, Arwen had seen more than a few Mortals wither with age, and her husband was not to that stage yet.  And even when he reached it, as soon he must, it would not be unbearable.

What was unbearable was that she did not age with him.  In choosing a mortal life, she had assumed she had chosen all that went with it.  Yet outwardly, the hundred fifty years since their trothplight had not changed her in the slightest.  Even inwardly, she felt none of the weariness of feä she had expected to assail her by now.

Yet the diverging paths, while they still lived, were destroying them.  Aragorn was wracked with guilt, for he too had believed in his heart that they would grow old together.  But it was not so, and the King could not stand being a source of grief to his beloved.  It was as Elrond had warned.  Aragorn would weary, and she could neither help him or even properly share his fate.  

If, when he died, the grief did not kill her, what would she do?  She had no desire to remain a Dowager Queen of a realm of Men and perhaps see her children age even as her husband now did.  

What then?  Return to Imladris?  Though her brothers and a few of her friends remained, time had come there, and to look on the faded valley would grieve her to no end.  Lorien was even worse, both faded and abandoned.  

The path West was now barred her.  Though she did not regret that gift to Frodo, in her weaker moments, she did wish that the Hobbit had declined it.

There was still her Daeradar's realm in the Greenwood, and Celeborn had begun to hint that she would be welcome there after what ... must occur.  But no, that would not do either, she knew.  

The truth was, there was no going back, nowhere to go.  She must follow Aragorn into death, as foretold.  But it seemed it would not be an easy thing.  In her heart, she knew she would not simply fade from grief, unless she willed it.

The Evenstar shuddered as she realized that that was exactly what was demanded of her.

Thank you maeglin!

I love it!!

Poor Arwen....I think next year I'm going to pick something that will result in happier stories, but I just love all the ones about Arwen and Aragorn! even if they make me cry.

Thanks a bunch!

~Princess of Gondor~

Here you go, PoG!  Not a happy story, but Arwen did choose both the sweet and the bitter:

F. A. 110

This was not what she expected or had been given to understand from the tales of Luthien and Beren.

An excellent piece, Maeglin - really brings out both Arwen's history and strength and perception, as well as the bitter fate to which her choice, and Tolkien himself, condemned her. 

I would have posted this to a workshop as the original challenge asked, Princess, but try as I might I couldn't find one, so I'll have to post it here instead. Sorry if it's not what you wanted, but the Muse refused to let me end their story any other way. 100 words, according to MSN Word- hope you like it. 

One last breath, and that was that- the King was dead, and the courtiers watched to see what the Queen would do.

Moments turned to minutes, and the hearts of all assembled there beat as loud as war-drums in their ears as they waited to see what happened next.

And waited.

And waited, until at last Eldarion went to comfort his mother.

Until, as he lay his hand upon her shoulder his face twisted with horror, and he drew back as if stung, and she fell to the floor like a puppet with cut strings.

"Cold," he said.

"Quite cold."

Terribly sad little drabble, but I love it just the same ^_^

Thanks!

~Princess of Gondor~ 

For Imhiriel

'I'd like to see scenes about diplomacy. Between allies or enemies, showing success or failure, and any time or place.'

Imhiriel, this may not be exactly what you meant, but it's what the muses ambushed me with!

Elladan and Elrohir find their skills of diplomacy and tact stretched to their limits when Estel asks for advice.  A double drabble.

The Art Of Diplomacy

"Well?  What do you think?"  Estel asked.

Elrohir exchanged a hopeless glance with his other brother.  Young Estel's 'poem' was trite, badly rhymed, and full of clichés.  "It's …"  he fumbled for words. 

"Totally unique!"  Elladan declared.  Elrohir shot his twin a look full of admiration.

"Yes!  It's unique, and … and says something that only you can say,"  he agreed.

"Then you think I should show her?"

"No!"

"No – it's too personal and private.  You should … ah …"  This time it was Elladan who faltered.

"You should keep it to yourself for a while, Estel,"  Elrohir advised.  "Treasure it, and savour it;  keep it for days when you do not see her …"

" … as a solace against your loneliness,"  Elladan finished with triumph.

Estel's face glowed.  "Oh, yes!  Thank you – I knew you would know what to do!"  He folded the paper reverently and slipped it into his shirt pocket.  "I shall keep it by my heart," he vowed.

After he left, Elladan dropped into a chair and groaned.  "Do you remember when we negotiated a peace deal between those two warring Dwarf clans?"

Elrohir nodded.

"Well, that was easy compared with counselling a lovelorn thirteen-year-old!"

o-o-o

I hope you had a great day!

Again, I'm sorry I couldn't find the workshop you wanted this posted to... but I hope you enjoy it, Jay. As asked for- Elrohir and Elladan as adult deadly warriors... in one hundred words according to MS Word.

I watch, transfixed, as the two grey-cloaked warriors make mincemeat of my men, their blades flashing this way and that, wreaking carnage wherever they go.

These are not men, they cannot be- they are dread spirits of the air made flesh.

Blood spills, bones smash, brains splatter…

I am as a rabbit caught in the lamplight, watching as they slaughter my soldiers.

No harvester ever born cut down corn this way.

And as I watch, I hear them shout to each other.

"Thirty-two! Thirty-three! Thirty-four!"

"Fifty! Keep up, brother! Fifty-one!"

By the Dark Lord, they make our deaths a game

This is deliciously dark!  I love the line 'they are dread spirits of the air made flesh.'  - what a wonderful image .

And "Fifty! Keep up, brother! Fifty-one!"

By the Dark Lord, they make our deaths a game…' - I can see where Legolas and Gimli got the idea from :>)

I love this glimpse of Elladan and Elrohir as fell warriors.  Thank you!

I'm glad you liked my story... and even more glad that you liked the twins' little joke. I wasn't sure it worked... but the muses assured me it did, and your affirmation seems to tell me they were right. Smile

Here, Imhiriel--for you on your birthday!

The Approach

"My Lord King?"

Surprised to hear a voice, here in the private gardens behind the Citadel, Aragorn turned to find himself faced by a woman he could not remember having met before.  She was strikingly beautiful, with a particularly long and elegant neck that many would compare favorably to the swans of Dol Amroth.  However, there was a hint of something in her eyes he could not identify at first--a glittering.  Was it attraction?  Calculation?

Then it struck him--it was a hint of desperation!  Whatever her personal ambitions, this woman looked on him as her final chance to achieve them.  He felt both amused and exasperated, both of which were quickly eclipsed by an unexpected feeling of pity.  He'd seen such desperation before, long ago, when he served in Gondor as Captain Thorongil.  Most of the time the women who had approached him then had been singularly beautiful as this one was, and most of the time they had been pushed into their approaches by ambitious and calculating mothers.

A surreptitious glance about him proved him right--an older woman indeed was watching from what she thought of as a place of concealment behind a bush that was covered by brilliantly white blossoms of camellias.

He hid the sigh building within him.  He would need to be carefully diplomatic in dealing with this fair lady who desired his suit if she was not to suffer serious castigation from her mother!  Perhaps if he were to arrange an introduction for her to one of his kindred from Eriador, or perhaps Lord Elfhelm from Rohan, whom he'd learned was a widower.  Not this one for Éomer--the new King of Rohan might be attracted by beauty, but he would only be truly drawn by one who had remarkable sense as well as physical presence.

He forced himself to smile as openly as he could....

Happy belated birthday, Imhiriel!

I was hoping for a sucessful piece of diplomacy around this event - but the muse had other ideas.  Twin drabbles on the coming of the second band of Men, who met the "unfriendship" of the Green Elves.

Unfriends 
Most of us are relieved when the palisade is in place. After our hunting party was killed, protection seemed paramont, and now we are safe.

Then Halan finds me. "You no longer need me to work on the palisade. I'm going to speak with them."

"They will kill you, too. Don't be a fool, Halan."

"They are Elves. I had Elven friends in the East, and we were told that the Elves here are friendly as well. I must speak with them."

"Halan..." He walks to the fence. I do not try to stop him.

Gods, let him be right.

Felagund promised that he would rid us of these marauders; why do they return?

We sit in watch around the fence they killed so many plants to create. We can outlast them. They must leave their walls sometime. And when they do, we will be ready.

Movement catches our attention. We watch as thornbushes are pulled aside to let a man step out.

He speaks. It almost sounds like real words. Is he trying to speak to us?

Four stones drop him where he stands. That is our only message to these tree-hewers, these beast-hunters: Leave our lands or die.

Princess of Gondor, here's a little bit of Aragorn and Arwen for you:

Waiting

She had thought that nothing could be harder than waiting for him during his years seeking his crown.  Now she knew better.  Then, she'd feared his death and her own; now, she knew if he were lost, she would go on without him.  This was far harder.

Footsteps made her turn.  At first she thought it was a dream; then he took her hand and she knew her husband was truly there.

"Beloved, forgive me," he said, reaching to brush a tear from her cheek.

In an instant, despair became joy.  "Come."  She grabbed his hand.  "Come meet your son."

Happy birthday, Jay!  Here are warrior Elladan and Elrohir for you.  There's a little glimpse of my own idea of Elladan, who has some serious issues, but I hope it works on its own.

Deathly
The signal to attack comes, a cry that modulates into song, a lay of wrath and ruin.  I spring up, catching the first two orcs unaware.  The others hesitate, and I see Elladan over their heads.  He continues to sing as he destroys the orcs surrounding him.

In the past I have likened him to our heros of old, Ecthelion or Gil-Galad, but today all I can remember are the Eorlingas, singing their own death songs as they ride into combat.

An orc strikes at me and I hurriedly return to my task.  Afterwards, I will worry about my brother.

Happy birthday a few days early, Aruthir!  I didn't get any real Nazgul to speak to me, but here's some snow, and at least the thought of Nazgul.

Nazgul in the Snow

"I wanna learn something cool," Theodred whined.  Elboron glared at his brother.  "Like Nazgul tracks!" 

"Nazgul don't leave tracks, stupid," his sister said.  "They fly."

"Nazgul rode on flying things, double-stupid."

Eldarion grinned.  "I bet their tracks would be huge.  One here-" He stomped both boots into the snow "-and the next all the way over here!"  He jumped and fell flat.

"That's the monster," Theodred said.  "Nazgul would be more like us."

Elboron watched his lesson disintegrate and sighed.  "You don't track Nazgul," he said loudly.  "They track you."  He lunged for Theodred and brought him down.  "Nazgul attack!"

Thank you Wofwind ^_^

It's actually a story about Aragorn and Arrwen that's not going to make me cry  *pretend shock*                                                                    (Although I do like other ones =)

Hannon Le!

~Princess of Gondor~                                                            

"You don't track Nazgul," he said loudly.  "They track you."

I love this line- every brash teenage boy ever born speaks to me in it. Thankyou!

Happy belated birthday, Princess of Gondor!

Destiny

Soft grass under my feet; gold-green dappled light. The air under the trees still, unstirred by breath of wind.  

The silence almost thrums in my ears.

I turn, and catch my breath at his beauty. Not an Elven beauty, nor yet the beauty of the lad – for yes, he was beautiful then – blurting out his boyish adoration, but the valour and strength of a man full-grown; not just man, but Man, mortal. And yet...
As his eyes meet mine, I know that he, too, senses the moment, and I know my destiny. I shall indeed be as Lúthien.

Imhiriel, a very belated Happy Birthday wish for you... So embarassed! and a small piece of marital (lack of?) diplomacy to make up for it.

Archer

Faramir winced as Éowyn's arrow glanced off the edge of the target. She was not normally a bad archer, but with that miss tallied against her, it was impossible for him to not win their match. Warrior-bred, she would certainly spot it if he deliberately missed his shot.

Could he feign a pulled muscle or another sudden injury? No, she would see through that too.

Slowly, deliberately, he tensed his bow and took aim. Diplomacy be cursed. He would give it his best shot, and if that meant he would sleep in a guestroom for a week, so be it.

Happy belated birthday, Princess of Gondor

A bit meandering and with a possible mush warning on this one - romance is not my usual genre!

Nevertheless, rereading the Appendices, the weird structure of the troth-plighting on Cerin Amroth caught my eye and got me thinking about a fairly basic question. Hope you enjoy!

Dwim

Plighting Troth

It is in the nature of Men to overreach themselves for what strikes them as marvelous, great, beautiful.

It is in the nature of young men to see the marvelous, great, and beautiful as it benefits them. Thus do they come early to mourning, when it innocently shatters their narrow, grasping longings.

If his path from Imladris to Lórien has taught him aught, it should be that, Aragorn thinks.

Arwen laughs ahead of him, calling him on toward the hidden hill-crest: "Hurry, or you shall miss the first stars!"

At least his Ranger's road has taught him to be nimble in the leafy tangle of Lothlórien!

The trees end in a blinding sunset, and there on that rise, Arwen, dazzling as the dying day, stands with the trees in chorus: she opens her hands to heaven and sings the fullness of summer to Arien.

He knows the hymn – it has been sung in Imladris since before he was born, since before this Age was born. Before there was Imladris, before the Breaking, it gave glory to the days. When Beren courted Lúthien, already it was old, and it makes him ache.

For once upon a time, he had left home, like so many young men, in the hope that what he did might persuade her – might win her to him. The hard-won lessons of long labor – his and others' – lie between him and such base-bargained love, but the singer and her song, older than Lórien's trees, make that unregretted boy, in all his folly, feel nearer than he has in years. Near enough to make him doubt whether time has taught him yet to ask this gift with grace. Doubt, though, dies but in the asking.

The sun gives a last glitter, then is gone. Arwen lets the melody trail into silence, as over her head, beneath the golden boughs, her namesake star gleams faintly. After a time, she holds her hand out to him; he takes it, and she turns to him.

A moment, they simply stand gazing at each other, then:

"Arwen, I – "

"Marry me." Two words and ardent eyes cut down all questions – all speech, even. Arwen answers his stunned silence with a smile and a touch, laying a hopeful hand upon his cheek. "Say 'yes'!"

So much then for his asking! Aragorn cannot but laugh then – at himself, for relief, for joy – and in the little space it takes to claim a kiss, breathe: "Yes!"

Re: Happy belated birthday, Princess of Gondor

Thank you Dwimordene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it!!!!

You did achieve the wonderful bit of romance that just made my day with my two favorite characters!

Thanks,

~Princess of Gondor

Hi Dwimordene

Do not be silly!! romance is your genre.  Just wanted to post a little note to tell you that I truly enjoyed this!  I'm sure you've heard this from me before but you always seem to give my heart a jump-start when you write these little ditties about Arwen and Aragorn.   Thanks for writing and thanks for having a birthday Princess of Gondor!

If romance is not your usual genre then how come you're so good at writing it, then, hmmm? You just sent joyous little shivers down my spine with this one- well done!

I love this, Nath- I think we may all have been there and slept in that guestroom at some point! Well done!

*heh* Thx, and I don't think he stands a chance there; he's doomed whether he hits or misses.

You're welcome, Princess of Gondor! I'm glad you enjoyed the moment.

Happy birthday, once again,

Dwim

Hi RS,

I still maintain romance isn't my usual genre, but I am very glad you've enjoyed my forays into Aragorn/Arwen as a couple. I think this is technically the... sixth version of Cerin Amroth I've written, but I just seem to keep going back to it!

Dwim

Again, I'm sorry I couldn't find the workshop you wanted this posted to... but I hope you enjoy it, Jay. As asked for- Elrohir and Elladan as adult deadly warriors... in one hundred words according to MS Word.

Truly excellent drabble, Aruthir - you convey the twins' more-than-human ferocity brilliantly.

<<<A bit meandering and with a possible mush warning on this one - romance is not my usual genre!

Nevertheless, rereading the Appendices, the weird structure of the troth-plighting on Cerin Amroth caught my eye and got me thinking about a fairly basic question. Hope you enjoy!

Dwim

Plighting Troth>>>

You should try romance more often, Dwim - lovely variation on this familiar theme.  Aragorn comes alive here, which is no easy task.

<<<very belated Happy Birthday wish for you... So embarassed! and a small piece of marital (lack of?) diplomacy to make up for it.

Archer>>>>

A great little snapshot of Faramir and Eowyn's marriage!  I can just see them shooting competitively; and Faramir would have to wrestle with this choice now and then...

Wolfwind, I'm sorry for not replying sooner - somehow I missed this!

I really like the differences between the twins here.  Elladan still seems trapped in the bitter frenzy and hatred following Celebrían's attack, but Elrohir seems more thoughtful - perhaps he is finally coming out of the haze of blood-lust?  I love him likening Elladan to the old heroes, but the comparison with the death songs of the Eorlingas is chilling.

I love this glimpse of a very different Elladan - thank you!!

Jay

Well, Jay, you get to share with Cairistiona on this one.  So hope you both enjoy this.  And Princess, your story will be posted tomorrow.

This tale may not show either the twins or Aragorn off to their best advantage, but I do hope it amuses!  I'm with Arwen on this one!  Heh!

Fighting Enemies

"Then Elladan turned to the orc on his left while I turned on the one attacking me from my right, and we were fighting back to back for a time," Elrohir explained to his apparently fascinated audience.  "I was ever so pleased to see the head of his orc cleaved in twain, while I admit that the blood spilt out upon the ground before me was all black, and then there was brain matter...."

Bilbo Baggins, who had been a member of the household of the Last Homely House for some sixteen years now, was no longer showing the gusto for his meal he'd displayed when they'd sat down together.  In fact, he'd pushed his plate of trifle away from himself.  Arwen, who was glaring at the second-born of her two brothers from down the table, recognized the signs.  Certainly Elladan and Elrohir appeared to revel so in the destruction they brought upon those orcs they found in the passes of the Misty Mountains that they thought nothing of describing in great, gory detail every blow they'd administered; and not even the prodigious appetite of a Hobbit could endure all of the images such tellings could conjure.

"I made a thrust to the orc's midsection, and its entrails...."

Arwen felt her own stomach clench, and saw that Bilbo was turning decidedly grey.  "And where is Adar?" she interrupted.

"Seeing to Elladan's arm," Elrohir answered promptly.  "One of them managed to slice his right forearm with its scimitar.  It did not appear to be poisoned, as there's been no adverse swelling or green putrid matter from it.  However, Ada wished to check it himself and assure that the stitches I put in are sufficient."

It was at that moment that the door opened to admit the Master of Rivendell and his first-born son.  Arwen was grateful to note that Elladan did not appear to be in any distress, and there was no sign of blood or drainage on the neat bandage that peeked out his loose sleeve.  Seeing that he was not favoring the arm, she asked, "Then the cut was not particularly deep?"

He looked at her with some surprise, as if he wasn't certain what it was she was asking about, then looked down at the strip of linen and shrugged.  "No, more an annoyance than anything else, really.  Although I must say that I responded by cutting the creature's arm quite off him, just before I clove him in two.  I found it quite satisfying to realize I'd relieved the thing of its liver----"

There was a gulping noise from the Hobbit's seat, and suddenly Bilbo was rising.  "If you'll excuse me," he gasped as he fled the room.

"Must you have such graphic discussions at meals?" Elrond asked his progeny.

"What?" demanded Elrohir, straightening in his seat.  "When we must deal with orcs on a daily basis, what else would you expect to hear about?"

The door opened again, and Erestor leaned into the room to announce, "Estel has just arrived, and----"

He had no chance to say more as Elrond's beloved mortal foster son pushed past him into the room, still dressed in his worn riding leathers.  "Ada!" he said as Elrond rose to embrace him.  "I've just returned from finding the creature Gollum--and what a chase he led me, and right through the Dead Marshes!  Caught him trying to fish one of the apparent corpses out of one of the fetid pools in hopes of eating it--almost lost my own last meal--or I would have, had I eaten within the last day and a half."

Arwen, having risen to embrace him next, pulled back, her nose wrinkled.  "And you smell as if you had come directly here from that pool you were just describing."

"Oh, but I stayed a few days in Thranduil's court--the thing bit me, and my hand festered some."  He held out a scarred wrist in testimony to the experience.  "I vow, its teeth were rotting in his mouth, and his breath was as bad as the miasma of the marshes themselves!  It's no wonder the wound went septic, I suppose.  And the journey back--ran into several troupes of orcs and had a wraith's own time killing off that last lot.  One just refused to die--I stabbed its shoulder, ran my sword through its foul abdomen, cut off one arm--finally had to behead it fully before it finally fell over and twitched for a few moments before it went still.  Blood and gore all over the place--looked as if the two of you had been fighting there," he added to his Elven brothers.

Fighting the rise of her own gorge, Arwen retreated to her chair.  Elladan and Elrohir were immediately offering him advice on what he ought to have done with the stubborn orc.  "Should have cut it off at the knees," Elladan suggested, while Elrohir was suggesting a particular method he favored for disemboweling the creatures.  Bilbo, who'd just started to reenter the room, turned and fled again, his hands clapped determinedly over his mouth.

Suddenly Arwen had had enough.  "Be quiet!" she thundered in a manner that brought back to mind the fact she was the only daughter of Celebrían, formerly of Lothlórien, and granddaughter to the Lady Galadriel.  "That is quite enough!  When your talk is enough to drive a very Hobbit off its feed, it is time to put an end to it!  Now, the three of you--Aragorn, go and get a swift bath, then put on old training clothes and meet me in the guest wing.  You two----"  She glared at her brothers now.  "You two--training clothes, and meet me in the guest wing in a quarter of an hour, or I swear I will seek you out wherever you might hide, and slowly and painfully remove your spleens--and our adar can tell you he has seen me do just that for less provocation before!  We have a number of guests who will be here soon enough, and the three of you will do the lion's share of cleaning out the cobwebs!"

She kept them at it for three days before she released Aragorn to fetch Bilbo's younger kinsman from the borders of the Shire.

"Don't know why you're favoring him over your own flesh and blood," grumbled Elladan.

"Just think of it as good practice for your next encounter with the orcs," she said sweetly.

"And just how do you know we'll need all these rooms cleaned and put to rights?" demanded Elrohir.

She glared at him imperiously.  "Am I or am I not our father's daughter and our grandmother's granddaughter?  Do you think I do not know a measure of foreknowledge of my own?"

"But to be having to beat out window hangings and rugs...."

"Just imagine it's the head of the next orc you meet that's too stubborn to die!" she suggested sternly.  "Now, you've missed a spider's web--right over there!  I won't have any of Ungoliant's get in this, our father's house.  Now, get back to work!"

"At least," confided Bilbo with a small smile as he watched, "a Hobbit's been able to eat without feeling sick to his stomach for the past few days!"

She patted his shoulder with a feeling of satisfaction.

[stares at Larner] [whispers] That was awesome...

Oh, thank you - this is great!

The graphic discussion over breakfast seems typical of warriors who don't realise that not everyone takes the same delight in killing orcs - poor Bilbo!  And then Aragorn turns up, equally enthusiastic and they start sharing advice :>)

I loved Arwen taking chage of the situation and all three mighty warriors quailing and doing her bidding!

I've created a birthday story Jay's 2010 Birthday Stories - could you please add the story there?

Thank you again for brightening my morning!

Thanks, theLauderdale!  I feel as if from time to time Arwen would need to remind her brothers that she served as the Lady of the House, and perhaps less so to her beloved!  Heh!

I'll post it tonight to your birthday story, Jay.  Am so glad you enjoyed it!  Hope it brightened the memory of it for you!

And now, for you, Princess of Gondor--I hope sufficiently romantic even if their presence is secondary....

Night Songs

The night after Midsummer in the first year of the reign of the King Elessar

Faramir stirred in the night, startled by the song of a bird, one he was certain he'd never heard before within the White City.  Intrigued, he rose from his bed and pulled about himself a night robe.  He must go out now and see the singer and be certain his ears were not fooled!

He walked quietly down the hallway and the stairs to the lower level of the Steward's Wing, then out the door at the end of the passage into the Citadel's private gardens.  There appeared to be a soft glow beyond the cherry trees his father Denethor had planted in honor of his marriage to the Lady Finduilas, and it was from that region that the birdsong came....

"Go softly, Faramir," advised a voice.

Startled, the young Steward of Gondor and newly made Prince of Ithilien turned to find Mithrandir standing in the shadows of the nearby rose bushes.  "I did not see you there!" he said, still keeping his voice soft in response to the admonition given him by the Wizard.

Mithrandir laughed.  "I am able to hide myself at times," he admitted.  "Pray pardon an old Man's foolishness.  But what brings you in your nightclothes out into the gardens?  I would have thought you had gone to your bed some hours ago, for this day has been remarkably full."

"And the same is not true for you, my friend?"

The White Wizard laughed again, joyfully.  "I find that now my task is done I do not need as much sleep as I once did, Faramir.  To stand in the gardens under the stars in a sky cleared of the long darkness is rest enough tonight, I find."  His smile deepened.  "And I stand somewhat guard over the privacy of those two," he added, nodding at the soft glow beyond the cherry trees.

Realizing who else it was who wandered the paths of the gardens, Faramir indicated his own understanding.  "So--the newlyweds have risen from their marriage bed and rejoice together beneath the stars also," he murmured.

"As you shall undoubtedly do as well, and soon enough," Mithrandir agreed.

"Shall they make Éowyn and me to leap over the broomstick?" asked the Man as he sat upon a bench.  "I understand that that is the form of marriage often practiced within Rohan."

"Perhaps," the Wizard answered, sitting beside him.

Again the bird sang.  "A nightingale," Faramir whispered.  "A nightingale, here within the gardens of the Citadel!  Never have I heard such here within the walls of Minas Tirith!"

Slowly and with a level of satisfaction, his companion nodded, pursing his lips.  "Indeed.  But remember, friend, who it was that gave birth to the lineage of both of them, bride and bridegroom, and what were the familiars for her and her blessed mother.  With that in mind, are you truly surprised?"

Faramir had to admit that he was not.

Beyond the cherry trees he could hear the new Queen of Gondor raise her own voice in song to match the beauty of the nightingale's trill.

"And so it is," Faramir whispered to himself, "that the nation is indeed renewed.  The Valar be praised!"

"And the One," agreed the Wizard.

*Bounces up and down in excitement* 

Thanks Larner!!

I love it, its WONDERFUL!!!!!

LOL, sorry if that's all I have to say, I just really really love it. =)

~Princess of Gondor~

I am so glad you do.  Now, to find some way of including Nazgul and snow together....  (Wanders off randomly, perhaps toward the Misty Mountains....)

What a lovely, gentle little story, Larner- bravo on finding it!

Well, Aruthir, the story did indeed lead to the Misty Mountains, but then back to Mordor again.  I hope you like it.

The Wraith's Report

"And what wouldst thou do here within Barad-dûr, Khamûl?"

The Nazgûl hissed its displeasure at having to deal with this--servant.  "I answer not to thee, snaga, but to him."

"But our dread Lord is busy now, thinking on policy.  Thy report?"

"And who art thou, with thy lesser Ring, to question me?  The Mouth of Sauron they might call thee, but it is ever thine own mouth we who have served our Master for well over an Age of the Sun have heard!"

The Herald for the Lord of Mordor snarled, "That name is forbidden!"

The Ring-wraith laughed, and even the Herald shuddered at the sound.

"Thy report?" he requested anew, tempering his anger, adding slyly, "Or didst thou, too, require a new steed?"

The Dark Lord's Steward of Dol Guldur became more grim with anger.  "And are we to blame when our Lord's gifts to us are vulnerable to such simple weapons as bows and bolts?"  The two glared at one another until the Mouth shuddered and looked away.  Only then, at this sign of victory, small as it was, did the Nazgûl continue.  "I have been west of the great river to learn of the nature of the storm that stood over the Mountains of Mist."

"And?"

Another hissing.  At last Khamûl continued, "Our Lord's servant there is dead, its hröa destroyed and its fëa fled.  I found what little remained of it atop the mountain under which it was sheltered.  All of the snow atop the mountain was melted away, and the rock scorched with its last flames."

"And this happened how?"

"And how am I to know?" demanded the wraith, the hiss of its voice filled with the expression of the impotence it felt.

"The reports from Moria tell of the Grey Fool falling there, with the Master's servant, from the broken bridge.  The orcs sent with the message swear that they saw this.  Didst thou see aught of him?"

"And how would either of them have survived such a fall?" asked the Nazgûl.

Again the Mouth shuddered, although this time the disturbance was not because of his companion.  He responded in a low tone, "Such as either of them is not precisely easy to destroy."

Khamûl gave what in others might have been a snort, but which from him sounded particularly ominous.  "I have seen but a Man's seeming upon the Grey Fool.  Destroy the seeming, and he will be forced to flee away!"  He seethed in thought for a moment, hissing softly.  At last he said, "I saw no sign of that one--not save this:  a place where the snow lay yet unmelted, as if it had been overlain by a lean body, one bereft of heat."

"And if the Grey Fool did indeed lie there, then what became of his body?"

"Who can say?"  The wraith gave a shrug.  "There were eagles flying about the peaks, although they gave way to me and my steed.  Mayhaps they fed on him?"

The Mouth laughed grimly.  "Mayhaps they did indeed!  Fitting--that one's servants feeding on the Grey Fool's remains, don't you think?"

For the first time the Mouth detected a sense of amusement in the wraith.  "Oh," it hissed, "fitting indeed!"

And together they laughed cruelly before the wraith took its leave to return to its captain.

"Mayhaps they did indeed!  Fitting--that one's servants feeding on the Grey Fool's remains, don't you think?"

What a lovely ear for dialogue you have, Larner. Thankyou for this piece- the arrogance of the characters literally creeps off the page and into your brain.

I only hope I can write you a story as fine when it comes time to be your birthday!

I see why you entitled this "Failure," Maeglin, and appreciate just why you question the rule of Dior.  He was so very young and apparently naive.  No, the Feanorians failed to take back the Silmarils in the end; but that did not mean he won!  Poor child!  Thinking that right means the victory would automatically be his!

I'm so pleased you like it, Aruthir.  Actually, my first serious writing was done as a playwright, so dialogue and how it is delivered is always being played before my inner ear as I write.  I'm so glad you appreciate that!  And I'm honored ar your final comment.  Thank you so!

Re: Happy Late Birthday, Imhiriel/January 2010 Birthday Cards

All of this month's offerings have been wonderful; but this one, with Annmarwalk's Mag mentioned--I so love it, Raksha!  Delightful--and so perfect for Faramir to deal with so well in the new court of Ithilien!

Awesome, Larner!  I love how they're both wicked, but Khamul is just a bit wicked-er, and frightens even the Mouth!  A totally natural (for these two) conversation - not the easiest thing to pull off   And truly it is seen how Sauron is the Master of Deceit; his own lieutenants, the Witch King and the Mouth, doubtless learned (ex-)men, believe the Balrog is their master's servant!  Good thing they didn't meet the creature and try to give it an order!

All of this month's offerings have been wonderful; but this one, with Annmarwalk's Mag mentioned--I so love it, Raksha!  Delightful--and so perfect for Faramir to deal with so well in the new court of Ithilien!

Thanx much for reading and commenting on the piece, Larner.  I loved Night Songs and Wraith Report.  The idea of the nightengale returning to Minas Tirith on the night when the descendants of Melian and Luthien are consummating their marriage is really nifty.

Happy Birthday, Jay! I had some trouble persuading Elladan and Elrohir to cooperate, but here is a double drabble of them as warriors, some time in the Fourth Age.

Old habits

"Orcs in the High Pass? Are you certain?" Elladan sounded almost offended at the idea as he questioned the scout.

Elrohir had laughed. "What? You thought they would not return to the mountains? There are only a few, but we should not let them re-establish themselves in their old caves."

Still, even despite his doubts, Elladan had been quick enough to ride out, and now they were sneaking up on their foes and scouting out the camp before going back to get the rest of their patrol. The twin Lords of Imladris easily fell back into their old habits of stealth, and it was not long before they were positioned above the camp, looking down on the Orcs.

Almost like the old days, Elrohir thought.

I haven't missed this at all, Elladan answered.

Nor I, Elrohir admitted. Yet it seemed it would take more than a few years of peace to forget the skills that had kept them alive throughout the whole of the Third Age. He wondered if they could ever leave this part of themselves behind, but accepted that even after Sauron's fall they would only be able to do so when the time came to sail West.

I must assume that orc slaughtering, like the riding of a bicycle, is never truly forgotten!  Most proper for these two to find themselves from time to time returning to old ways.

Re: Happy Late Birthday

Thanks so, Maeglin and Raksha, for your comments on my stories.  Am so glad that you enjoyed them so, and that the interaction of the Mouth and Khamul should feel so right!  Thanks again!

We've had such a delightful number of stories this month, and all so well crafted!  It's been an honor to read them all!

This was excellent and you gave a very good reason why Arwen did not want to stay with her  children.

I wrote this drabble for a challenge in another group I'm a member of,but would like to dedicate it to you as a belated birthday gift. Hope you enjoy it.

The Sweetest Song

The moon shone brightly illuminating Arwen's path as she strolled through the gardens. In a nearby tree a nightingale sang sweetly.

Arwen felt a sudden pang. Would there be songbirds in her new home, or even trees? Tomorrow she would leave Imladris, perhaps never to return. How she would miss the beloved places she had dwelled throughout her long life.

Yet, soon she would have a new home, one with the man who had won her heart. Together they would raise a family. Her new life was just beginning. The song of love was sweeter even than the nightingale's melody.

I must assume that orc slaughtering, like the riding of a bicycle, is never truly forgotten!

Killing Orcs, it's just like riding a bike ROTFLMAO

I can almost see that as a text on a coffee mug...

The song of love was sweeter even than the nightingale's melody.

What a lovely line to end on. Well done- even this hardened old cynic smiled at this story!

Hello Gilraen,

I've been too busy the past few weeks to look in on HASA, so please excuse my tardy response!

I loved your story, especially the descriptions, they were so colourful and evocative. I also liked the twist from the official diplomacy that one might expect from the beginning (and from my request), to the personal "little" diplomacy between the two sons. And then to find out that this was part of the plan! Isn't Faramir the sneaky one Grin!

Would you please add your story in my workshop here? - Thanks.

Imhiriel

Hello Raksha,

the story is wonderful - I loved the peek into the kitchen with all the goings-on of "downstairs", and how you combined that with my request. I especially liked how you handled the cast; all the characters were very vivid and distinctive.

"You are fairer than any Orc."

Now isn't that the most enthusiastic compliment ever? ROTFLMAO

Sorry I replied so late; I have been too busy to look into HASA for the past few weeks.

Would you please add the story here, to my workshop?

Imhiriel

Re: For Imhiriel

Hi Jay,

thanks very much for your gift! I had a wonderful time imagining the twins' faces, trying to stay straight and supportive... And how truly "diplomatic" - especially the advice to keep it private for a while - I expect in anticipation of the day when Aragorn realises himself just how bad the poem was, and be thankful he was spared the embarrassment of having shown it to the subject of the poem.

Imhiriel

Hello Larner,

thanks so much for the story! And I'm sorry for replying so late.

I'm very much in agreement with Aragorn in pitying the young lady! I liked how he didn't think even one moment to be exasperated with her, but immediately pondered how he could help her. I hope that similar events didn't happen too often before it became known that he was already taken!

Imhiriel

Hello Wolfwind,

thank you for this story! Terribly sad, especially as you get the feeling from the beginning that it was inevitable, which made the confidence of the man stepping out all the more poignant. And that it were Elves of all people who would act so rashly and harshly...!

Would you please add your story to my workshop, here?

Imhiriel

Hello Nath,

thank you for this gift! I loved that it was told from Faramir's perspective; it makes it especially vivid. I had to love at the last line, because while I agree with his suspicion, I suddenly got the idea in my head that Éowyn would pretend to be a sore loser and announce he would have to sleep on the couch, regardless - and only after a while clear things up...

Imhiriel

Thanks for the Story Linda!!

It's so beautiful!!!!!! 

It's really amazing what you can fit into one little drabble..

Thanks!

~Princess of Gondor~

Nath,

I feel just awful for missing Destiny, but now I want to tell you,

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I love it!!!!!!!!!

~Princess of Gondor~

No worry, you found it Grin Glad you liked it...

I suddenly got the idea in my head that Éowyn would pretend to be a sore loser and announce he would have to sleep on the couch, regardless - and only after a while clear things up...

I think the only action that is guaranteed to have him sleeping on the couch would be if he let her win, but I can see her playing a bit of a trick on him... You little devil! Laugh out loud

Hello Raksha,

the story is wonderful - I loved the peek into the kitchen with all the goings-on of "downstairs", and how you combined that with my request. I especially liked how you handled the cast; all the characters were very vivid and distinctive.

"You are fairer than any Orc."

Now isn't that the most enthusiastic compliment ever? ROTFLMAO

Sorry I replied so late; I have been too busy to look into HASA for the past few weeks.

Would you please add the story here, to my workshop?

Imhiriel

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the story; Imhiriel.  I did have fun with those OC's; and am pleased that you liked them.  Yes, Aelbert's calling Saerwen fairer than any Orc was sort of a left-handed compliment; I had the feeling that Aelbert doesn't know much about giving compliments to women; he's not exactly a smooth-talkin' dude...

I wanted to put in a placeholder in your birthday challenge; so I could ask you whether you wanted the current version or the final version of the story after it's polished up a bit?  I thought I'd put in the placeholder and the story (by mistake), but now I'm not sure, sorry.

The January 2010 Birthday challenge closes today!

If you RECEIVED a birthday story, please create at least a placeholder in the challenge so you can list your presents. If you're not quite sure about how it works, that's OK, just get a placeholder set up before tonight when the challenge is closed to more entries.

Happy Birthday!

Anglachel

You are most welcome,Princessof Gondor.I'm pleased that you enjoyed my drabble. I hope you had a lovely birthday and this year will be full of good things for you.Smile

Thank you,Aruthir. I'm pleased you enjoyed this. I'm quite a hardened old old cynic myself, but I cannot resist Aragorn and Arwen!

I rejoice that you appreciate it, Imhiriel.  And since you share your birthday with the Master himself, it's always a joy to write something for you!

I'm so sorry for not replying sooner - I thought I had, but maybe forgot to press 'Reply' ...

I love this scene with Elladan and Elrohir having to take up their swords again against the orcs - something they probably thought they'd never have to do again.  Old skills are not easily forgotten.

Thank you for this lovely birthday drabble with my favourite twins!

Jay

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum