Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: January 2009 Birthday Cards

January 2009 Birthday Cards

Happy New Year to all of you! Why not start this fresh year with some equally fresh stories by and/or for your fellow HASA members?

Birthday folk: Is your birthday in January and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread.

Create a birthday workshop story to collect your birthday cards in one place, and enter it into the January Challenge.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the Birthday Cards Workshop the recipient of your birthday card has - hopefully - created.

If you have questions, problems or suggestions, please use this forum or write me a private e-mail - I'll do my best to help.

===============================================================

January, 3rd - Imhiriel: I'd like to read drabbles starring one (or more) of the female Valar, the Valier. Feel free to choose any time, place or other characters.

January, 7th - Jay of Lasgalen: I'd like anything about Elladan and Elrohir, and maybe Legolas. Angst or fluff, gen or slash - any rating, any genre is acceptable!

Re: January 2009 Birthday Cards

My birthday is on the 3rd, and this year, I'd like to read drabbles starring one (or more) of the female Valar, the Valier. Feel free to choose any time, place or other characters.

Lúthien and Beren - for Imhiriel

It just so happens that I've got a set of drabbles on Nienna that have not found a place within the piece I eventually hope to publish *crosses fingers*. So here you go, Imhiriel - for your birthday, a drabble about Nienna. 

Dwim

Lúthien and Beren

Fatality ever ruled them – Man and Elf, to separate ends given. Condemned to suffer love forever all out-jointed, yet in their little life together they are Magnificence...!

Then Death descends, brutally. Naked souls, they bewail their Parting. But Fate is pitiless – pity is Nienna's privilege.

She claims it.

Before the throne of Brother Must-Be, she falls like righteousness, bears Lúthien humbly to her knees to Sing in her. For Sister Sorrowing sees past all pales of What Is to What Should Be, and from depths beyond depth, sues: Release!

Silence.

Wonder.

Then from Beyond of Fate, He answers: Eä!

Author's Note: - let it be!

On the Birthday Cards Workshop link

Hi Imhiriel,

I got this message when I tried following the forum link to the birthday card workshop:

You reached this page because the page you were trying to get to either no longer exists or the URL has changed.

This page is mostly intended to capture spam attacks, old bookmarks and bad URL links.

If you got here because of an old bookmark, please go to the HASA home page, navigate correctly to the page, and change your bookmark.

Help?

Thanks,

Dwim

My birthday is 7th January, and I'd like anything about Elladan and Elrohir, and maybe Legolas.  Angst or fluff, gen or slash - any rating, any genre is acceptable!

Jay

Hi Imhiriel!

My birthday is on the 3rd, and this year, I'd like to read drabbles starring one (or more) of the female Valar, the Valier. Feel free to choose any time, place or other characters.

Happy Birthday!

I hope you don't mind if I share a drabble that will eventually become part of my Fell and Fair drabble series (that is, if the rest of the chapter ever deigns to reveal itself to me)....

I had originally hoped to finish one about Nienna for you *glares at muse*, but this one, despite being from Ulmo's point of view, has three Valier and a female Maia, to boot!

The situation is that a certain Maia has asked the Valar to influence some wayward Firstborn (not to mention, stubborn Peredhil) who are lingering in Middle-earth, and they are having a council to discuss this Very. Serious. Request.

Enjoy!

- Barbara

Ulmo

"Our attempts to direct the Firstborn have oft gone awry," observes Manwë.

I chuckle. "They are at times wilful."

"Indeed!" says Nessa, eyes twinkling. "And is that not why Cats were added to the Song? To teach us the limits of our authority?"

"Mayhap that accounts for Ossë," I jest.

"And Eagles," Manwë mutters.

Yavanna grins. "How is that, oh Lord of the Airs of Arda? Do not the Eagles heed your every wish?"

Varda winks, leaning over to whisper, "He likes us to believe so."

The Valier's laughter rings forth... and Arien beams with joy at the merry noise.

Re: On the Birthday Cards Workshop link

Hi Dwim,

do you still have this problem? When I tried it out just now, it worked. Did you perhaps click on the link while not being logged in?

Imhiriel

Re: Lúthien and Beren - for Imhiriel

Lúthien and Beren

Dwim, this is truly magnificent! At the same time with such a great scope but also very intimate. And I will shamelessly regard it as a wonderful prequel to my own drabble "Moved to Pity" , which feels like having a very homely aspect to the sheer power of yours.

Would you please add the drabble to my birthday story, here.

Imhiriel

Ulmo

Hehehehe. So many examples that show the limits of the Valar's vaunted powers. And you somehow get the feeling the Valar enjoy it, to be able to be continually be surprised, instead of everything all the time going according to plan. And I really like the brief mention of Arien at the end.

hope you don't mind if I share a drabble that will eventually become part of my Fell and Fair drabble series

Quite the opposite! I love to think one the drabbles "belonging to me" being a part in your magnum opus!

Would you please add the drabble to my workshop story, here?

Imhiriel

Attention, please: The January Challenge is now working! Go here, please, to enter your birthday workshop stories into this month's challenge.

Imhiriel
...donning her HASA Birthday Volunteer hat...

Hi Imhiriel,

You won't believe it, but now I'm having trouble using the site's contact function.

I tried e-mailing the below message (while logged in) and when I clicked "send," received a pop-up that said

Please fix the following required fields: Your Email: wrong format

I don't know what I'm doing wrong - I don't think I am doing anything wrong - but for whatever reason, the message isn't going through. I've retried three times, so I'm posting both the problems here in the hopes that someone will be able to figure out what the problem is.

Dwim

Here's what I tried to send to Tech Support:

Earlier this week,in the Birthday Cards Forum, I reported getting a weird error message when I tried to follow the birthday cards workshop link, as provided in the Birthday cards forum. Imhiriel seems to have no problems with the link and advised me to try again, making certain I was logged in.

I made sure I was logged in, clicked on the link she said had worked for her, and got the message listed below. I'm running Mac OS 10.4.11, using Firefox 3.0.5.

Thanks for your help,

Dwim

Error Occurred While Processing Request Element GMID is undefined in SESSION_MEM.  

The error occurred in Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm: line 55 Called fromCwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm: line 36 Called from Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm: line 34 Called from Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm: line 1 Called from Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm: line 1 Called from Cwww\hasa\members\workshop\workshop_view.cfm: line 15 Called from Cwww\hasa\members\workshop\workshop_view.cfm: line 1 Called from Cwww\hasa\members\workshop\workshop_view.cfm: line 1 53 :             select * 54 :             from tblWrkMem 55 :             where wmgmid = #trim(session_mem.gmid)# 56 :             and wmwsid = #trim(wsid)# 57 :             and wmstatus >=0 Please try the following:     * Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax.     * Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem. Browser       Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120121 Firefox/3.0.5 Remote Address       98.154.28.95 Referrer       http://henneth-annun.net/forums/messages.cfm?confId=0&forumId=482&messageId=52254 Date/Time       04-Jan-09 052 AM Stack Trace at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035._factor0(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:55) at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035._factor20(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:36) at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035._factor34(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:34) at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035._factor35(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:1) at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035.runPage(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:1) at cfworkshop_view2ecfm1281819164._factor7(Cwww\hasa\members\workshop\workshop_view.cfm:15) at cfworkshop_view2ecfm1281819164._factor8(Cwww\hasa\members\workshop\workshop_view.cfm:1) at cfworkshop_view2ecfm1281819164.runPage(Cwww\hasa\members\workshop\workshop_view.cfm:1) coldfusion.runtime.UndefinedElementException: Element GMID is undefined in SESSION_MEM.     at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.resolveCanonicalName(CfJspPage.java:1049)     at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._resolve(CfJspPage.java:1004)     at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._resolveAndAutoscalarize(CfJspPage.java:1111)     at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035._factor0(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:55)     at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035._factor20(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:36)     at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035._factor34(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:34)     at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035._factor35(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:1)     at cfqry_mem_workshop2ecfm1241735035.runPage(Cwww\hasa\queries\qry_mem_workshop.cfm:1)     at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:147)     at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:357)     at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._emptyTag(CfJspPage.java:1876)     at cfworkshop_view2ecfm1281819164._factor7(Cwww\hasa\members\workshop\workshop_view.cfm:15)     at cfworkshop_view2ecfm1281819164._factor8(Cwww\hasa\members\workshop\workshop_view.cfm:1)     at cfworkshop_view2ecfm1281819164.runPage(Cwww\hasa\members\workshop\workshop_view.cfm:1)     at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:147)     at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:357)     at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:62)     at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:107)     at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:4     at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:80)     at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:47)     at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:2     at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:35)     at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:43)     at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)     at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:105)     at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:91)     at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42)     at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:249)     at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:527)     at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:192)     at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:31     at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:426)     at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:264)     at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)

I chuckle. "They are at times wilful."

"Indeed!" says Nessa, eyes twinkling. "And is that not why Cats were added to the Song? To teach us the limits of our authority?"

"Mayhap that accounts for Ossë," I jest.

I love this exchange, Barbara. Ulmo would know a thing or two about willful creatures, given his association with the sea and with Ossë!

Dwim

such a great scope but also very intimate.

Oh good! The original idea calls for the intimacy, but scope is proving more difficult to handle, grr, argh. 

I would be only too happy to have Lúthien and Beren linked to Moved to Pity - perhaps Vairë knows Nienna a little better than Nienna's brother does!

I hope you had a lovely, restful birthday and many family and friends to celebrate it with!

Dwim

Hi Imhiriel!

So many examples that show the limits of the Valar's vaunted powers. And you somehow get the feeling the Valar enjoy it, to be able to be continually be surprised, instead of everything all the time going according to plan.

LOL! Speaking of "going according to plan", I had originally intended this to be a perfectly serious discussion, but you know how wilful the Valar (not to mention, the muse) are! Once Nessa mentioned cats, they all went off on their own tangents -- and then the Valier decided to gang up on Manwë! *rolls eyes*

And I really like the brief mention of Arien at the end.

Ah, good! After deciding to use this drabble, I was pleased when I realized that it mentioned a female Maia in addition to featuring three Valier....

hope you don't mind if I share a drabble that will eventually become part of my Fell and Fair drabble series

Quite the opposite! I love to think one the drabbles "belonging to me" being a part in your magnum opus!

I'm so glad! You will be mentioned in the Author's Notes, of course.... (the "magnum" part of the "opus"... LOLOL!)

Hope you had a great birthday, Imhiriel!

- Barbara

Hi Dwim!

I love this exchange, Barbara. Ulmo would know a thing or two about willful creatures, given his association with the sea and with Ossë!

Thank you for saying so, Dwim! Yes, I think Ulmo has much experience with herding cats, erm, trying to positively influence wayward beings.... LOL!

- Barbara

Hi Jay!

Happy Birthday!

My birthday is 7th January, and I'd like anything about Elladan and Elrohir, and maybe Legolas. Angst or fluff, gen or slash - any rating, any genre is acceptable!

For some reason, your birthday request didn't surprise me.... now, why might that be?

Actually finished the Author's Notes for this chapter, so for once I'm posting it in Fell and Fair at the same time as this birthday card thread. LOL!

I think you'll find the theme of these drabbles familiar, similar to the lovely story you posted for my last birthday (The Legend of the Grey Riders), but the setting is somewhat earlier -- and more rustic.

I hope you enjoy these!

- Barbara

Firien Wood
Early August, 3019 Third Age

Elrohir, with the Rohirrim

My brother and I share ale around the campfire with these amiable Riders, partaking in their traditional songs and stories.

As the evening progresses, Éomer persuades one shy young bard, well in his cups, to sing the lay he had lately composed. It is a long, involved tale of Eorl Langsceaft on the field of conquest, who single-handedly stabs all within reach of his spear and leaves a mound of moaning opponents — ruined but respecting his skill.

Elladan smiles encouragement, yet I cannot help but join in the uproarious laughter as I gradually begin to grasp its more earthy undertones.

Elrohir, with Elladan

Elladan compliments the youth on his songwriting skill. "But," he adds, "Eorl did not fight alone... Éomund and his guards never left his side."

Startled, the young singer leans forward. "Y-y-you know of this b-b-b-battle?" he asks, eager to expand his stock of stories.

"We were there."

Éomer's jaw drops. The singer turns pale and makes an unseemly dash towards the bushes.

Seeing the unsettled looks among the Riders, I wait until my brother is about to swallow some ale, then elbow him — hard — in the arm. He splutters indignantly.

"Elladan, you have got to stop shocking mortals like that."

Elladan

"Elrohir!" I snarl, dribbling drink from my mouth and chin. "What in the name of...."

"And you missed the point of the ballad, brother!"

Little caring about a silly song while sopping up ale from my face and tunic, I snap, "Have you taken leave of your senses?"

He chuckles at my ire — but fills in what I missed in rapid Sindarin. At first, I boggle at the brazenness of the songwriter... and afterwards flush in chagrin when it dawns on me how dense I must seem.

As the absurdity of the situation soaks in, I burst into helpless laughter.

Elladan, with the singer

I laugh until the young singer stumbles back to the campfire, looking dazed. I master myself enough to gasp, "Forgive me, friend! Elrohir understands the tongue of the Riddermark better than I... but now I, too, appreciate your skilful way with words. Well done!"

Rising to show my newfound respect, I clap the beaming youth on the shoulder — but gently, so as not to upset his unsteady gait. Éomer and several Riders stand in turn to grasp his hand and commend his efforts... discreetly drawing him back to his vacated seat, safely away from the sputtering embers of the fire.

Elrohir, with the singer

"You must excuse my brother's dim wits." I smirk.

"Our Elven minstrels compose endless lays, some mournful, others celebratory, yet they never engage in parody.... Long ago, Elladan and I tried to mend that oversight with some light-hearted tunes, but none are deemed fit for the Hall of Fire.

"However, our Northern Dúnedain friends — the handful who write songs — sometimes make the best of bad conditions by mocking their lords. One ballad ridicules the youngest son of Eärendur; 'tis sung that he loved dice so much, he gambled away Rhudaur."

Elladan chimes in, "Though your song was far more clever!"

Sigebryht, Gléowine's prentice

Elves and Eorlings alike ply me with praise for my song-craft. 'Tis gratifying, yet I cannot forget the Elf's astounding claim.

In my desire to question him, I stammer: "Wh-wh-wh-what did you m-m-mean, you w-w-were there? You look no older than m-m-m-me!"

They glance at each other, grinning, before one of them replies. "We have lived many centuries and fought countless battles... until recently, one of the greatest was with Eorl on the Celebrant."

His words make me queasy in my ale-besot state; I grab hold of the familiar green turf beneath me to prove 'tis not a drink-crazed dream.

Elladan, some time later

Finally, I reach the end of the story: "The Riders of Éothéod pursued the rabble across the Wold. But we remained on the battlefield to heal the wounded, before taking leave of Eorl and returning to Lórien."

Elrohir adds, "Eorl's ride and the charge on the Celebrant were courageous, as were Théoden's on the Pelennor. Aragorn was much heartened when we spotted the White Horse from the Corsair ship."

"I agree. Twice now have we been honoured to witness the valour of the sons of Eorl." I hoist my tankard, proposing a toast:

"To deeds worthy of song and glory!"

Oh!!  These are wonderful!

I love the way Elrohir grasps more of the story than Elladan, and the way they both shock the Rohirrim with the simple line "We were there."  Elrohir's teasing of his brother is great - it's exactly how I see the twins - and I feel sorry for the poor prentice minstrel who can't quite believe what he's hearing.

To deeds worthy of song and glory indeed  ... thank you so much for this.  I love it!

Jay

'"And is that not why Cats were added to the Song? To teach us the limits of our authority?"  Oh yes - I love to think that even the Vala couldn't keep cats under control!

And I know what you mean here: 'I had originally intended this to be a perfectly serious discussion.' 

I intended my story 'Legend Of The Grey Riders' to be a serious account of what happens when myth collides with living legends - but it just didn't happen that way

Jay

Hope you like this one, Imhiriel. 

The Dance

He found her singing in the darkness beneath Varda's stars, and he smiled.  Of green things she sang, of trees and grass and scented flowers.

He entered the clearing, adding his song to hers, singing of rich soil and shining minerals, soft sand and smooth stones.

He could tell she was glad he had joined her, for now she began to sway as she sang of blossoms and fruit.

He stepped to the side, singing of clay and mineral-laden water, heated by the earth and given to the relief of aching joints and exhaustion.

She sang of the sweetness of apples.

He sang of the richness of cups made from the metals to be taken from the earth, and how they would be ready to hold the apple's juices.  Their hands met as their steps began to complement one another's.

She sang of the song of crickets hidden under leaves, of the song of frogs beside the banks of streams.

He sang of the song of the water as it poured over rocks and between boulders.  They circled one another in their dance.

She sang of filled bellies and contented children.

He sang of useful items made such as knives to peel fruit and prepare vegetables to be eaten. 

He lifted her easily high into the air, and she laughed as she sang of the comfort of growing things.

He responded with the reassurance of the reliability of the earth and its bones.  He set her upon her feet.

She paused, then held out her hands to him, her song slowed and seductive as she sang to him of the thanksgiving offered by trees and plants for the earth from which they grew.

He took her hands and drew her to him, singing of the consummation the earth could know only when growing things sprang from it and drew from its bounty.

He inclined his head, and she raised hers to meet his, and as Yavanna kissed her beloved Aulë their joined songs continued, more full and harmonious for their shared love and delight in one another.

And all of the world prepared for the Children of Iluvatar delighted in their shared dance.

Ah!  That final line says it all!  Marvelous, Dwim!

I, too, find the comment on cats being added to the song to teach the Valar their limits is priceless.  And the fun at Manwe's expense is marvelous!

Poor Elladan isn't accustomed to double meanings of this sort, apparently!  And I'm glad they found it clever!

A wonderful series here.  Lovely, Barbara.

Late birthday story for Imhiriel

January, 3rd - Imhiriel: I'd like to read drabbles starring one (or more) of the female Valar, the Valier. Feel free to choose any time, place or other characters.

Talk about serendipity - I hadn't read this prompt until after I started rough-drafting a story; then I saw your request, and realized that the tale would be a perfect birthday offering.  Sorry, it's much longer than a drabble:

Chrysalids

http://stories.storiesofarda.com/chapterlistview.asp?SID=6116

I had hoped to finish it close to your birthday.  Hope you had a good one.

RAKSHA

Hi Jay!

Oh!!  These are wonderful!

I'm so glad you like them!

I love the way Elrohir grasps more of the story than Elladan, and the way they both shock the Rohirrim with the simple line "We were there."

Yes, I had to think about it quite a bit... but I realized that double-entendres, if subtle, are actually difficult to pick up in a language that you don't have near-native facility with... so I thought this could be a difference between the two brothers.

And I'm sure the Rohirrim expected almost anything but such a claim!

Elrohir's teasing of his brother is great - it's exactly how I see the twins

Glad you like it... I believe this is the first time that I tried to make them quite so jocular... after all, Sauron's been defeated, so they can now relax somewhat....

and I feel sorry for the poor prentice minstrel who can't quite believe what he's hearing.

Yes, poor fellow... I'm afraid I had him imbibing quite a bit more ale than was good for him, before Éomer talked him into singing in front of so many people... including Elves! LOL!

To deeds worthy of song and glory indeed  ... thank you so much for this.  I love it!

*beams* 

And I hope you had a lovely birthday, Jay!

Best wishes,

- Barbara

Hi Jay!

'"And is that not why Cats were added to the Song? To teach us the limits of our authority?"  Oh yes - I love to think that even the Vala couldn't keep cats under control!

LOL! I think only Eru Ilúvatar can influence cats... and even then, only if they are in a truly magnanimous mood when he makes his request! 

I keep remembering your absolutely delightful drabble, Important Business, and plan to blame it, er, mention it as an influence in the Author's Notes.... er, assuming that I ever finish that chapter enough to post it..... Laugh out loud

I intended my story 'Legend Of The Grey Riders' to be a serious account of what happens when myth collides with living legends - but it just didn't happen that way Embarassed

Yes, I soooo know what you mean... the muse is as willful as any cat! But the result in the case of "Legend" is, quite frankly, extraordinary... I think it's perfect as it is!

- Barbara

The Dance

Oh, Larner, this is lovely!

I had always wondered how the Universal Engineer ever managed to woo the Universal Earth Mother, and this answers it beautifully! Wink

Very well done!

- Barbara

Hi Larner!

I, too, find the comment on cats being added to the song to teach the Valar their limits is priceless. 

Thank you! I'm sure you'd also like Jay's double drabble,  Important Business... she really captures the essence of cats in it!

And the fun at Manwe's expense is marvelous!

Hee hee hee! Poor, beleaguered male! ROTFLMAO Iffy respect from his Eagles, and even less from the Valier.... 

Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it, Larner!

- Barbara

Hi Imhiriel!

Well, guess what? Nienna started speaking to me again! With the help of my beta reader and my wayward muse, this chapter is now ready venture out into the online world!

Happy Birthday, and I hope you had a lovely time!

Enjoy!
- Barbara

Nienna's Halls, sometime after
Fourth Age

Nienna, greeting Galadriel

"Welcome, my dear Artanis! I am pleased Olórin brought you to see me."

Thin and careworn, she sips her tea, struggling to put words to her woes.

Gradually, I coax the tale of her departure from Endor: the weakness that whelmed her at the Ring's demise, draining her resistance to sea-longing; the reluctance to sail, knowing duty still bound her beloved to the land of his birth.

She seems loath to say aught of this Celeborn; their parting yet pains her deeply.

Hope, I may help her find — but the grief buried at her core must first be laid bare.

Galadriel, on Elrond and Celebrían

"Can you not speak of your sorrows with your family?"

"I often seek refuge in the home of my daughter Celebrían, who understands the burden of fighting Darkness through long ages... and Elrond knows the added weariness of bearing a Ring of Power.

"But how could I complain to them of feeling diminished without Celeborn? I do not wish to remind them of those whom they, too, miss. Their daughter is forever lost to them, and they know not whether their sons, also, will make the choice of Lúthien.

"I will not mar their glad reunion with my growing despair."

Nienna, with Galadriel

My wisest disciple, Olórin, requested assistance when Celebrían sought his aid for her mother. It is clear why they thought it needful: since her arrival in the Blessed Lands, innate strength and pride alone have sustained her — and those now waver.

Artanis is on the brink of fading.

With neither husband nor realm to lavish care upon, she feels unrooted.

She has matured far beyond the idealistic child who chose exile!

"Your concern for Celebrían and Elrond is admirable, Artanis. Yet do not dismiss your own griefs as less than theirs!

"Might you perhaps seek out your parents for comfort?"

Galadriel, on Finarfin, King of the Noldor

"At times I dwell in my father's halls.

"I had hoped to serve him as counsellor, or perhaps regent during his rare absences from Tirion. Yet Finrod, as heir, fulfils those roles since his return from Mandos. He was, after all, King in Nargothrond, whereas Celeborn and I rejected such titles.

"So Father deems me naught but duteous daughter, content to grace his court, ever polite and mindful of protocol. And I must endure simple-minded courtiers seeking to curry his favor by flattering his only daughter."

I barely suppress my smile, having soothed some who ran afoul of her temper.

Nienna

"Were there no fawning courtiers in Endor?"

"Few," Artanis replies. "We were beset by Melkor's minions. Those who cultivated talents to protect and enrich our lives — warriors, artists, musicians, loremasters — were highly regarded and rewarded. But neither Elwë, Ereinion, nor my kinsmen tolerated those who idled away time manoeuvring for personal gain.

"And Celeborn never suffered fools gladly. He had a way of... discouraging servile behavior."

A fond smile quirks her lips, even as her eyes well.

I embrace her. "You miss him."

Too choked to speak, she nods... until the first of many sobs wrenches itself from her heart.

Dwim,

do you want me to contact Ang on your behalf?

Imhiriel

I would be only too happy to have Lúthien and Beren linked to Moved to Pity - perhaps Vairë knows Nienna a little better than Nienna's brother does!

Heh. Good point... Also, in your drabble, Námo is acting "officially", whereas in "Moved to Pity", it's after "work", so he can show what he privately thinks of the whole thing .

I hope you had a lovely, restful birthday and many family and friends to celebrate it with!

I had - thank you!

Imhiriel

The Dance

Oooh, this is beatiful, Larner! It shows the Valar and their creative power in a very "human" light, as it shows their joy in creation and its bounty. And it's very romantic, to boot.

Just a little comment, if you don't mind (and I really hate to nitpick this wonderful gift, but this phrase keeps throwing me off on re-reading):

He inclined his visage and she raised hers to meet his

sounds a bit odd - do you think "head" might perhaps be more straightforward?

Imhiriel

[Edited to add: Forgot to ask - would you please add the story to my workshop story, Larner?]

Oh, still more gifts [rubs hands in joyful glee]!

I like this insight into a vulnerable Galadriel who seeks help and gets it from wise persons. I like it that it seems that much of her strength might not necessarily derive from her power(s), but from her husband. And I especially like the picture you draw of Elu Thingol and Celeborn, how the way their courts were reflected what their priorities and their judgements were.

Imhiriel

Re: Late birthday story for Imhiriel

Chrysalids

Raksha,

thank you so much, this is a gem of a story, and I'm so happy you made it a gift to me!

I was enchanted right from the beginning with the description of the three Valier. The idea of Elanor as the very first child of the New Age is wonderful.

I loved the whole concept of the story - of how you wrote it like a fairy tale, where the three Valier are fairy mothers who bring gifts to a newborn child. And I loved the juxtaposition of power and humour.

Would you please add the story to my workshop story, too?

Imhiriel

Hi, Imhiriel - Umm, here's another bit of serendipity--I only just uploaded "Tree and Star" (at http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter_view.cfm?stid=5229&SPOrdinal=15 ) (sorry about the linkage--I can't get the links to work today...) to the Fairy Tales series.  Then I took a look around, as I have hardly been here in ages & wandered through the Birthday Cards thread.  It really seems to fit the bill, except it's rather longer than a drabble!
DrummerWench

Hi Imhiriel!

Oh, still more gifts [rubs hands in joyful glee]!

LOL! sorry that the muse wasn't more cooperative to get these done on time for your birthday....

I like this insight into a vulnerable Galadriel who seeks help and gets it from wise persons. I like it that it seems that much of her strength might not necessarily derive from her power(s), but from her husband.

Yes! I think she has enormous personal strength, but needed her beloved, as well.

And I think that, with Celebrían and Gandalf both working on her, she might have been able to overcome any initial hesitation to seek help for herself.... One of the things that Gandalf has observed about those Children of Eru who are mothers, is that they tend to put others' needs before their own....

And I especially like the picture you draw of Elu Thingol and Celeborn, how the way their courts were reflected what their priorities and their judgements were.

Ah, thank you! Yes, I think living in constant danger, in Middle-earth, does impart a rather different set of pressing priorities than living in a land of infinite, unchanging peace and plenty....

Glad you enjoyed these, Imhiriel... and Happy Birthday again!

- Barbara

Here, Jay--am sorry this is a few days late, but hope you enjoy it anyway! 

On the Naming of Twins

She'd wished to give birth under the stars, "Even as our ancestors woke there, so long ago, on the shores of Cuiviénen under the first lights to these lands," she'd explained.

Elrond had agreed, so a bed was set on one of the many wide porches of the place, one from which he was accustomed to watch the stars.  And there it was, on a midsummer night of no moon, that the Lady Celebrían gave birth for the first time.

Now she rested, enjoying the fruits of her labors.  "Twins," she breathed, looking from the bundle in her arms to that her husband held.  "And identical!"  She looked up to catch her lord's eyes.  "Our own Ambarussa?" she suggested.

Elrond shuddered at the thought of that name given their sons.  "Nay," he said, shaking his head.  "Never that--not again!  Nay, for even now they are subtly different one from the other."  For even as the first one to be born beneath the light of stars stared upward in fascination at the glory of the Wilwarin overhead, the one held by Celebrían was even now seeking the comfort of his mother's breast.

Beyond the bulk of the place they heard the noise of horses entering the vale of Imladris.  "Glorfindel has returned from Annúminas with the King of Arnor," he commented.  "They will be grieved to know they have arrived after the event, I fear."

She gave a tired laugh.  "Ah, but they do not have to fret through the long hours of the labor, do they?  It will be enough for them to see the babes already come, or so I would think."

He smiled at her.  "Even so," he agreed.

They could hear from afar the voices of those set by Erestor to greet the newcomers.  "They will soon be brought here," she said, to which he nodded thoughtfully.

They heard the deeper, rougher timbre of the voice of the King of Men as he responded to the report of Erestor, and the child in Elrond's arms turned its head that way, intrigued by the sound of this new voice.  "An Elf with the awareness of Men," Celebrían noted, watching her firstborn's reaction.

Just then one of the horses neighed loudly, at which the infant in her arms startled, turning his head also.  Elrond considered his second son with interest.  "And that one is already drawn by horses," he answered.

They exchanged looks.  "I do believe," she said, "that they are now named."

"Indeed," he agreed.  "Then they shall be known ever as Elladan and Elrohir."

Her answering smile challenged the very stars for brightness.

Re: Late birthday story for Imhiriel

As I said on SoA, Raksha--Chrysalids is a marvelous story.  I love the thought of the three Valier standing clothed in flesh outside Frodo's window, peering in to look upon his household on the occasion of Elanor's birth.  And the thought that they see that those within, and particularly Frodo himself and the daughter would change to burst forth in glory, and then to leave their hröar behind as they return to Aman is just beautiful to contemplate!

Tree and Star--Another marvelous story!  I read it this morning and could not help smiling.

The thought that Nienna intercedes and Eru Himself sides with her is so wonderful!  Beautiful, Dwim!

I love it that she finds her greatest grief is not the loss of Nenya, but rather the loss of Celeborn.  And love Nienna's persistence, Barbara!

I am so glad you like it, Imhiriel!  The change has been noted, and I'll add it to the birthday card perhaps tonight or tomorrow while I'm home.

And thanks for the comments, Barbara and all!  I found I rather liked that image myself!

Oh, this is just delightful!

I like the idea of the twins being born under the stars - it seems very elfy!  And I like the differences that are already apparent to their parents' fond gaze.  Thank goodness Elrond didn't choose such an ill-fated name as Ambarussa though!

I love the naming using Tolkien's translations.  Elf man and elf knight (especially as my Elrohir has always had an affinity with horses!)

Thank you, Larner!

Hi Larner!

I love it that she finds her greatest grief is not the loss of Nenya, but rather the loss of Celeborn.

Yes! I believe that, despite her reliance on Nenya for an age, still Galadriel is wise enough to treasure what is truly most important... and I believe that Celeborn was as powerful as she in his own ways, and that their love was central to them both. (Btw, in an as-yet unposted drabble, Celeborn takes her departure from Middle-earth very hard, as well....)

And love Nienna's persistence, Barbara!

Thank you, Larner! Who knew that a gently amusing tangent about fawning courtiers would lead to Galadriel finally letting out all that grief? Well, Nienna, in her Valian wisdom, might have known, but this author didn't at first..... LOL!

Thank you for your kind words, Larner!

- Barbara

"Very elfy."  I love that description, Jay, and am so glad you like the story!

And I felt that Tolkien must have chosen those names deliberately.  Am so glad you approve!  And I cannot see Elrond of Imladris ever approving the use of a single designation for his sons, and particularly not that one.

And it was my pleasure to write this, once the plot finally occurred to me.

I am so glad you like it, Imhiriel! The change has been noted, and I'll add it to the birthday card perhaps tonight or tomorrow while I'm home.

Thank you, Larner!

Tree and Star

DW, I find your idea of the "fairy tales of M-e" so wonderful, and I'm very happy my birthday gift is now part of that collection.

The language is so apt to the concept - there's that blend between magic and the familiar, M-e and part allusions to known fairy tales. I can well imagine that it began just so or in a similar manner. Additionally, I like how you use the well-known idea that if you speak to plants, they grow more richly, which I have always found beautiful - a connection, a dialogue between man and nature.

Would you, too, please add the story in my birthday story workshop? Thanks in advance!

Imhiriel

Imhiriel, I'm glad you like the tale!  I've added it to your birthday workshop.

It's good the mix of RL and M-E is blending and working well.  I do try to keep the flavor of traditional fairy tales, while making them clearly part of JRRT's world.  Also, thanks for your kind words on the language--it's something I really enjoy doing.

DW

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum