Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: October 2006 Birthdays, Take Two

October 2006 Birthdays, Take Two

Calling all October babies! If you have an October birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the HASA Birthday Cards workshop, put your story in it, and enter the October challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

Gandalfs apprentice

October 13, Laureleaf: I was born on Friday the 13th, like this year, so it would be great to get a story about old elvish superstition (especially if it involves members of the Wood Elves and/or the Royal family - but please, no EVIL!Thranduil). Otherwise, anything elvish would give me a smile - especially since I get to spend my birthday camping with my son and roughly 4,000 other boyscouts!

October 23, JunoMagic: I'm turning 31, and here's a wish: I'd like to see characters from "Lord of the Rings" in our world. So that would be (depending on your interpretation of what Middle-earth is) a drabble/ficlet that crosses time and/or dimensions. The only caveat: please no parody or something like that! (For one thing, that would be too easy Wink; for another, my husband says I have no sense of humour to begin with...). If that idea inspires anyone at all, I would be very grateful!

October 31, IgnobleBard: My birthday is on Halloween and I love scary stories. I'd like to request any story set in Tolkien's universe that has a frightening theme or unexpected twist.

October 31, Raksha the Demon: I'm a Faramir aficionado, as you may have guessed (!), so, for this birthday, I'd like pieces (drabbles, ficlets, whatever is convenient) emphasizing Faramir the scholar, the thinker, who loved music and lore and also seemed, like his creator, to have a strong interest in the study of languages and history. I'd welcome any Faramir story, if that prompt doesn't inspire....But please, no slash.

Happy Birthday Laureleaf!

I managed to finish it. It's not a drabble but I think it will do.

Shibboleth

Gimli watched with interest as Legolas fletched his thirteenth arrow, attaching the feathers to the shaft with the utmost delicacy and care. As he finished and placed the arrow in his quiver, he looked up to see Gimli watching and he smiled.

"Why the sudden interest in my arrows, old friend."

"Not paying attention to your strange ways, I never noticed before that you always carry exactly thirteen arrows in your quiver. Why is that?" Gimli asked.

Legolas colored slightly, "It is a superstition passed down by my father, exactly thirteen arrows to a quiver, no more, no less."

Gimli could not contain his curiosity. "But your quiver would hold much more, and you would not have to replace them so often. Why do your people believe this thing?"

"I do not know," Legolas said, "I have never questioned my father about it before, but I know he ever carried exactly thirteen arrows."

Later that day, as Legolas and Gimli sat in Thranduil's chambers, Legolas said to his father. "Ada, why is it that you always carry exactly thirteen arrows in your quiver."

Thranduil looked a bit uncomfortable. "It was a custom of my father. I always thought he did it to bring him luck in the hunt, so I carried on the tradition myself."

At that moment, Galion stepped in carrying a tray with wine and three glasses. As he set the tray on the table, Thranduil said, "Galion, do you know why it was that my father always carried exactly thirteen arrows in his quiver? Did he think it would bring him luck in hunting?"

A smile tugged at the corners of Galion's lips, a smile he quickly hid with a deep bow.

"No, my lord. The reason, I believe, is that his quiver would hold only thirteen arrows. I asked him one time why he did not carry a bigger quiver and he said if he could not bring down his quarry in thirteen shots, he did not deserve to eat."

Galion sidled quickly from the room as Legolas and Thranduil exchanged twin, shocked looks and Gimli burst into a bark of laughter.

Re: Happy Birthday Laureleaf!

ROTFLMAOLMAO!

I bet they both would have liked to know this bit of info before going off to war! This is all the better, since it was Gimli who asked first.

Thanks sooo much - I enjoyed it, and I should be done with the ones I'm working on early next week.Embarassed

Laureleaf,

It's no wonder Legolas ran out of arrows at Helm's Deep, eh? Laugh out loud

I'm glad you enjoyed this, and the campfire story as well. I hope you have a happy, energetic birthday with your scouts. And if you think they would like the campfire story, I'd be honored if you want to use it. Smile

Mike

Happy Birthday Raksha the Demon!

Here's a Faramir story for Raksha. I was rereading The Two Towers and the part where Faramir says "We are become Middle Men, of the Twilight, but with memory of other things." struck a chord with me.

'Isildur's Bane'

Long thought lost but now, somehow, in the possession of two Hobbits. Only half a day ago it had been within his grasp.  

Boromir, the accomplished warrior. He? Either a man of doughty virtue or an exceptional fool. Time judges all. 

The turn of a moment could dash hope or restore fading glory. In his moment of truth, he had held to honor. He was satisfied. 

Hobbits - half men, their resolve pushing them beyond their fear. Gondorians - sons of a once High race, now Middle Men. Fates intertwined. 

'Time to show our quality.' 

Faramir took up his bow.

I adore the tone of this one, Mike. It has that trademark sneaky humor that I am learning to love so much in your writing.

Oshun

Re: Happy Birthday Raksha the Demon!

What! You are on a roll--another great little fic. (You are also hitting all my favorite characters this month which doesn't hurt at all!)

Oshun

Oshun,

I am nothing if not sneaky. lol

This story was actually based on a story my mother used to tell about a friend who always cut the end off a ham thinking it was no good. Turned out her grandmother's pot wasn't big enough. I thought it would be cute adapted for the Elves.

You're so good to me. Thanks for your comments.

Mike

Oshun,

All your favorite characters? I'm beginning to think they are all your favorite characters. ;-)

I'm glad you like my little efforts. It was your drabbles that inspired me to try to try these challenges. You manage to get so much depth into so few words.

It's a shame there aren't more October birthdays. As Sam said, "I think I'm getting the hang of this." lol

Mike

I'm glad you like my little efforts. It was your drabbles that inspired me to try to try these challenges. You manage to get so much depth into so few words.

My mother taught me to just to say "thank you" nicely when one gets an undeserved compliment and not argue about it.

Thank you (very nicely).

Oshun

Happy Birthday, Ignoble Bard!

October 31, IgnobleBard: My birthday is on Halloween and I love scary stories. I'd like to request any story set in Tolkien's universe that has a frightening theme or unexpected twist. 

Here's a spooky Hallowe'en-type drabble for you.

The Houseless Ones  

"Legends say that on this day, the dead walk."

"Ha!  I thought you feared not the dead, Master Elf?"

Legolas shrugged.  "The ghosts of men hold no terror for me.  But my own people – they are the houseless ones, who refused the summons of Mandos.   In denying death, they became trapped between Arda and the Halls.  I have seen them, Gimli – wisps of mist; flickering flames rising out of the cold earth.  They are restless.  We should hurry."

Around them, darkness spread; misty flames flickering slowly above unseen candles as pale lights and shadows grew. 

The dead walked with them.

~Jay~ 

The turn of a moment could dash hope or restore fading glory. In his moment of truth, he had held to honor. He was satisfied. 

Squee!  My first birthday drabble!  Thanx much, Mike; I love the attention paid to Faramir's moment of truth.  A very significant moment for him, the hobbits, and indeed all of Middle-earth.  And the ending is great.

Excellent piece about Legolas, Thranduil, and the thirteen arrows.

RAKSHA 

Re: Happy Birthday, Ignoble Bard!

Ooh, spooky houseless elf-souls!  Very well done, Jay!

RAKSHA

Mike,

I just wanted to let you know that the boys, um, liked? your story!  The down side was that I had my 7yr old decide that he needed to sleep in my sleeping bag - for my protection, of course!

And he's now decided that he's part elf, because he managed a bulls-eye in his second shot ever with a child size long bow.

Thanks for letting me use it!

LL

Oshun,

Your mother taught you well, with the exception of the "undeserved" part. I'm sure even your mother agrees that you deserve many compliments for many reasons. *grin*

Mike

Jay,

This is perfect! I've always found the idea of the "houseless ones" to be very creepy. That last bit gave me a chill, the flickering flames and shadows. It's always the things we don't see, or only catch a glimpse of, that are the most frightening .

Thank you for this wonderful piece. I love it.

Mike

Raksha,

You said you wanted Faramir the thinker and I figured he had to have had some thoughts after he let Frodo go. I liked your request a lot because I like the scholarly Faramir too. He's a very interesting character to speculate about.

I hope you have a great Halloween birthday. I don't see too many people born on that day.

Oh, and thanks for your comments about the thirteen arrows story too. *happy smile*

I'll bet you're not called "the demon" for compliments sake, am I right? ;-) (sorry, I couldn't resist the reference)

Mike

Larueleaf,

It sounds like the story was more effective than I realized. lol I know we always had the best time telling ghost stories and trying to top each other. It's one of those happy childhood memories.

That's excellent shooting for a 7 year old. I'll bet you were as proud as he was. :-)

And I'm thrilled that the kids liked the story. Thanks for letting me know.

I always thought the best thing about camping was coming home to a nice, soft bed. lol

Mike

Raksha,

This is my first attempt at Faramir, so I hope you like it.  This is my way of combining the scholarly side of Faramir and prankster side of Legolas...

Lost in Translation

Hearing a light knock at the door, Arwen turned away from the fireplace and smiled down. "Stay seated Estel, I can let them in."

She then crossed swiftly to the chamber door and swung it open exclaiming, "Come in my friends – we were beginning to wonder if you had forgotten the way back from Ithilien!"

Laughing lightly, Eowyn leaned in to share in a light embrace with the queen.  "We would have returned sooner, I think, had Legolas not decided to begin Faramir's instruction in Sindarin."

Glancing across to his approaching Steward, Aragorn grinned widely before asking, "So Legolas is your instructor, hmm?  Is he teaching you from books, or simply repetition?"

Slightly puzzled, Faramir sat down and accepted a glass of deep red wine from his friend and king before frowning slightly, "Actually, it has only been with verbal repetition as of yet, but we have been practicing for several hours a day for the last two weeks. Why do you ask?"

"Well, Legolas was my first Sindarin instructor, as we spoke mainly in Quenya in Rivendell, and I had asked him to teach me a poetic greeting for Arwen's next return.  He was quite patient with the instruction, and when the time came, I walked right up to her and told her that she had the beauty of a giant spider and the temper of a black squirrel to match! Needless to say, she was less then pleased… I believe I was twelve at the time."

At this, Arwen and Eowyn began to laugh – but Faramir looked even more troubled.  After a moment, he glanced back and forth between them before asking quietly, "My lady, will you please tell me what this greeting means? 'Hiril nin sui  uanui sui tarn meril'."

Aragorn quickly smothered his laughter, Arwen jumped up in rage, and Eowyn watched it all with mild amusement.

"I take it that does not mean 'My lady is as beautiful as a glistening rose'?"

It took Aragorn another moment before he was able to speak with a strait face, but eventually he was able to – so long as he was careful to avoid looking at Arwen.

"Actually, you said 'My lady is as hideous as the withered rose!"

Happy birthday!

Re: October 2006 Birthdays, Take Two

Raksha--Happy birthday.

I'm such a fidgety, impatient person that I can't resist posting this drabble for you here now. Perhaps I will regret the rush tomorrow and want to make some edits. Meanwhile, hope you enjoy it.

Oshun

The Love of Lore

Walking up the hill, Faramir admired the two women sitting in the grass sloping down from the terrace of the house. Black hair mingled with gold as Arwen leaned to whisper something into her companion's ear, eliciting a low laugh from Éowyn.

Aragorn drew up alongside the younger man and said, "Look behind them on the steps."

In a soft, expressive voice, Elboron read from the heavy book the boys held between them on their knees.

"He reads unusually well for one so young," Aragorn said.

"Do you think so?" Faramir asked.

"Well, perhaps not for his father's son," Aragorn said.

Thanks, Mike.

I used Tolkien's descriptions of the Dead Marshes to help me here - I'm glad it was suitably creepy.

Jay 

*Grin*

This is the sort of thing Arwen's brothers might have done as well!

Jay

Raksha, You said you wanted Faramir the thinker and I figured he had to have had some thoughts after he let Frodo go. I liked your request a lot because I like the scholarly Faramir too. He's a very interesting character to speculate about. I hope you have a great Halloween birthday. I don't see too many people born on that day. Oh, and thanks for your comments about the thirteen arrows story too. *happy smile* I'll bet you're not called "the demon" for compliments sake, am I right? ;-) (sorry, I couldn't resist the reference) Mike

I hope to have a great Halloween birthday.  I'm not sure how much tricking there will be, but there will hopefully be some treats...No, I wasn't called The Demon for compliment's sake.  Good for you, catching the reference - Jungle-favor go with thee!

RAKSHA, smiling over thoughts of wolf-cubs and Faramir the thinker

Raksha,

This is my first attempt at Faramir, so I hope you like it.  This is my way of combining the scholarly side of Faramir and prankster side of Legolas...

Lost in Translation

Thanx much for this great little vignette, Laureleaf!  I love the glimpse of Faramir the romantic, trying to craft beautiful Elvish words for Eowyn.  Bad, bad Legolas!

And congratulations to your son on his bullseye - obviously a future Ranger!

RAKSHA

Raksha--Happy birthday.

I'm such a fidgety, impatient person that I can't resist posting this drabble for you here now. Perhaps I will regret the rush tomorrow and want to make some edits. Meanwhile, hope you enjoy it.

Oshun

The Love of Lore

Aw, a lovely drabble!  And Elboron has inherited his father's scholarly tendancies.  Wonderful compliment from Aragorn, making me very happy.  And nice imagery of Arwen and Eowyn's hair as raven and golden.  And it seems like they're all hanging out at Faramir and Eowyn's home in Emyn Arnen, which I've often envisioned the two couples doing.

I'm getting pre-spoiled with wonderful Faramir moments - thanx Mike, Laureleaf, and Oshun.

RAKSHA

Raksha, I do love Faramir, so just a little more...a companion piece to previous one.

Lore Master

Boromir looked down from the balcony to the secluded garden below. A bare-footed child with tousled raven curls sat on the ground, his body bent in concentration over an unseen object on his lap.

The older lad’s spirit lifted as it always did at the sight of his younger brother.

“Faramir!” he called. He expected to see a small open face look up at him, flushed with a welcoming smile. Instead, a quick furtive glance greeted him, followed by a look of utter terror.

“Why you little fiend!” Boromir yelled over the parapet. He threw himself over the balustrade and shimmied down a supporting pillar. Faramir had jumped to his feet and backed away from his brother, clutching his ill-gotten gain behind him.

“Whoa. Easy now,” Boromir said, approaching Faramir slowly in a semi-crouching position. “Hand it over.”

“Boys, what is all this?” came a soft, tired voice from the woman in the reclining chair under the balcony.

“Naneth, Faramir has the book of tales uncle gave me for my birthday. In the dirt. In the garden,” Boromir said. “He can’t even read it and it has no pictures.”

“Can too read it,” the younger boy protested.

“Show me then,” Boromir said.

“Many songs are sung and many tales are told by the Elves of the Nirnaeth Ar-Ar-Arnoediad…” Faramir began slowly, but distinctly, in a clear piping voice.

“Well done!” Boromir said, overcome with pride. “Come. Sit here with me and read some more. You may read any of my books you want. But you must wash your hands first and do not bring them into the garden without asking leave.”

Glad you liked it! Of course, that is exactly where they are. I had hoped to do some profound thoughtful piece and for some reason got completely sidetracked on the idea that the characteristics you wanted to see show themselves in early in childhood. 

Oshun

Lost in Translation

I liked this drabble very much, Laurealeaf. The light-hearted tone is delightful, and I loved the easy relationship between the characters.

However *clearsthroat*, unless you deliberately made this AU (which is, of course, totally your call!), I have some nits to pick.

- Faramir would know Sindarin. It is one of the languages that is spoken in Gondor, especially among the higher classes.
- I seriously doubt that the language in Rivendell was Quenya instead of Sindarin.
- Aragorn didn't know Arwen until he was twenty.

I hope you don't take these comments amiss!

Imhiriel

Lore Master

Dare I say it? This was sooo cute and sweet! I could really see those two boys playing in the garden.
Whereas this line:
"Boys, what is all this?" came a soft, tired voice from the woman in the reclining chair under the balcony.
made me seriously sniffy...

I loved how Boromir changed from annoyed to proud older brother at Faramir's accomplishment.

Imhiriel

Imhiriel,

Embarassed No harm, no foul! I should have stated it was AU - I just loved the idea of Legolas playing this little prank on his friend.  My impression of Faramir is a being who takes studying almost as serious as Elrond, and that the temptation to play a small prank would be too great for our friendly wood-elf to resist.  After all, there is always a level of trust and understanding between friends in a prank war...even if only one of them is aware of the war at the time!

WaveAnd I do appreciate the clarifications, regardless, as they can only help me stay true to JRRT with my furure efforts.

Thanks, Imhiriel. I'm happy you liked it.

Oshun

(I did a little word-smithing--nothing dramatic; just hope it reads a bit better now; with the help of whole series of readers: Gandalfs_Apprentice, Gwynnyd, Sulriel, Lady Aranel, lialathuveril, Pen52--gee, did I miss anyone?)

Oshun,

I liked it before, but it does read much smoother now. It is always refreshing to read stories of the unconditional love between the two brothers - especially as they are growing up.

LL

Thanks LL--hope to get to your birthday request too!

Oshun

Laureleaf,

This is funny. It's always fun to mess with people when they don't know a language, and I can see Legolas playing that kind of joke. I liked the "beauty of a giant spider" he had Aragorn say to Arwen too. One might go so far as to speculate that if it was up to Legolas, Aragorn and Arwen might never have got together. But then what Elf might Aragorn have ended up with? I guess we'll never know. *grin*

Mike

Oshun,

I like that both of your stories are about children and reading. We see the adult characters at a certain moment in time in the books and we know they are learned, educated men, but where did their love of learning start? Probably with reading.

In the drabble, Aragorn's compliment to Faramir's son, and by extension his compliment to Faramir was very nice. In the story with Boromir and Faramir, the brothers bonding over a book is not only a sweet image, it's a nice foreshadowing of their future relationship.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I'm glad you liked the Faramir ficlets. I've always assumed that both Faramir and his son would have shared the proclivity to read early and a lot.

Oshun

For IgnobleBard

Hey, I was thinking last night and the theme of Morgoth came to mind. I'm not sure how much of a frightening theme this is, but here's my wishes for a happy birthday.

Beyond the Doors of Night- by Mar'isu 10/20/2006

We thought beyond the Doors, he would be safe, and we would be safe from him. Surely, we thought, the One would so judge the servant who wished to be master. Surely, we thought, the Doors would hold back his evil. And we set a guard, the mortal who dared enter Valimar and beg mercy of the Powers. Varda, Queen of the Stars, cast one more into the firmament, doomed to sail endlessly burning with the light of the Great Jewel. The burning Silmaril to ward off the Great Death, our brother.

We thought we would be safe, but a darkness comes. A shadow that has never before touched our land. The Straight Way, long lost, is re-opened and from east and west the flood rushes in. Ah, Eru, did Westernesse perish thus?

No harm, no foul!

I'm glad!

My impression of Faramir is a being who takes studying almost as serious as Elrond, and that the temptation to play a small prank would be too great for our friendly wood-elf to resist.

Oh, I can so see that! And I share your picture of studious Faramir.

Imhiriel

Re: For IgnobleBard

Beyond the Doors of Night

Well, I for one found it a very frightening idea! And a really beautiful, lyrical drabble!

Imhiriel

Imhiriel,

Thank you for the encouragement.  The whole idea started as a Morgoth returning, or at least exercising influence from beyond the Doors of Night, and somehow it became an End of the World bit.

Mar'isu

Mar'isu,

Morgoth's return is the most fightening thing in Tolkien's universe, so this certainly fits the theme. This is very nicely done. I like the imagery of the approaching, unstoppable darkness. Thanks bunches!

Mike

Raksha, I do love Faramir, so just a little more...a companion piece to previous one.

Lore Master

Another wonderful ficlet! Thanx, Oshun; the image of very young and precocious Faramir stealing Boromir's precious book is very true of young kids; and Faramir actually being able to read it is true to his character. I would imagine that Faramir as a kid could occasionally be a show-off in terms of his intellect. Finduilas is well-written here with just one line. And Boromir's pride in his little brother and solution to the problem is credible, we see the leader of men that he will become.

RAKSHA

Thanks, Raksha, for providing the prompt. Am so happy the fics suited.

Oshun

Another One for Raksha: Happy Birthday!

Raksha asked for Faramir the scholar, the thinker, who loved music and lore and had a strong interest in the study of languages and history. I aimed to hit each one in this drabble times five. Enjoy!

--Gandalfs apprentice

Of  the History and Habits of Hobbits 

Pippin sneezed. "Nobody's been here for centuries, it seems."

"Not so," Faramir countered. "I often visited the archives as a boy, but war has since kept me away."

"Is there anything about the Shire in all this?" Pippin waved his hands vaguely at the stacks of leatherbound volumes and old scrolls.

"Perhaps," Faramir said. "I never looked. I learned about the land of the halflings as a legend of old." He stood before a tall shelf heaped with cobwebbed, ancient books. "This must be cleaned up," he muttered. "It won't do for the King to see the history of Arnor covered with dust."

"Strider won't mind," Pippin said. "He's not a stick-in-the-mud about all that."

"I am thinking about the future, not the past," said Faramir. "Now that the two realms of Númenor in exile are reunited, Arnor's history is ours." He reached for a gilt-edged tome and, laying it on the table, gently wiped it with a soft cloth. "There, Pippin. The History of Arnor in the Days of Argeleb II. Aragorn says that Argeleb granted the Shire lands to the Hobbits."

"Argeleb? That's a mouthful," Pippin said.

Faramir opened the cover to reveal a portrait of the king, splendid with the Star of Arnor on his brow. "King Argeleb the Second. His son was Arvegil, and his son was Arveleg, followed by Araval."

"They all have the same name," Pippin said. "Ar-this, Ar-that, and Ara-something." 

"Do you know why?"

"Lack of imagination?"

"Do I know more of the North's history than its own son, Master Hobbit?"

"Probably," said Pippin miserably. "As Gandalf has remarked more than once, I played truant more often than scholar. I hardly knew we ever had a King, never mind his name. 'When the King comes back,' we said for something that would never happen."

"There were like-minded men in Gondor," Faramir said. "But I did not forget the ancient lore. The names of Isildur's heirs, as with Aragorn's own, come from aran, 'king' in the Elven tongue, which we Dúnedain also speak." 

"Oh," said Pippin. He grasped the edge of a huge page and turned it. Close, elegant writing filled the parchment, embellished with gold and silver. He leafed carefully through the volume, admiring colored drawings of beautiful ladies dancing at court, and brave knights on horseback battling foul Orcs. "Nothing on the Shire," he said regretfully.

But on the last page, tucked into one corner, he found a tiny drawing. A rosy-cheeked musician held a flute to his lips, and a comely lass and stout lad, hands joined, kicked out their large, hairy feet in a vigorous dance. 

"It's the springle-ring!" Pippin stood out from the table and cocked up one set of furry toes. "Like this." Humming loudly, he began a lively dance, but stopped abruptly. "I need a partner. Faramir?"

And so Lord Faramir, Steward of King Elessar and Prince of Ithilien, became the first in Gondor to learn the dance that was to sweep the streets of Minas Tirith.

Re: Another One for Raksha: Happy Birthday!

Wonderful little ficlet. You know I love Fararmir--in all his nerdiness. I also love the idea of Pippin forcing Mr. Tall-dark-and-handsome-oh-so-serious-High-Numenorean to let down his hair and learn a silly Hobbit dance! (It's a whole new Age.) Great image.

Oshun

Raksha asked for Faramir the scholar, the thinker, who loved music and lore and had a strong interest in the study of languages and history. I aimed to hit each one in this drabble times five. Enjoy!

--Gandalfs apprentice

Of  the History and Habits of Hobbits 

Oh, I love this!  You did manage to hit all those facets of Faramir!  Faramir's intelligence and perception - he is not merely a pedant, he grasps the significance of the facts that he stores - and also his commitment to the Stewardship of the realm and service to the King...And I think Faramir is in Faramir-heaven to be back in the dusty archives again after having to devote himself solely to war for so long.  Loved Faramir's resolution to clean up the place, the archives, the storage of knowledge, will become important to this highly literate civilisation once more.   

Favorite line:  "I am thinking about the future, not the past," said Faramir. "Now that the two realms of Númenor in exile are reunited, Arnor's history is ours."   Actually that's two lines, but who cares!  This is essential Faramir, visionary, looking both to the past (i.e. Numenor as the mother of the two realms) and the future (the union of Arnor and Gondor, and the significance that must now be given to Arnor in Gondor) to combine them in new ways...

Second favorite line:  "They all have the same name," Pippin said. "Ar-this, Ar-that, and Ara-something." 

"Do you know why?"

"Lack of imagination?"

- snork! -

All in all, this vignette presents one of the best characterisations of Faramir I've yet seen in fanfic.  

If Eowyn is in Minas Tirith at this time, she will become the second in Gondor to learn the Springle-ring.  I imagine it will become very popular in Rohan, too!

Thanx much, G.A.!  I'm a happy Faramirist today!Grin

RAKSHA

Raksha:

I'm very pleased you enjoyed your gift so much. It was a pleasure to write, too! Faramir wanted to go to the archives, and Pippin insisted on coming along.

Don't forget to set up your birthday story, post it in the workshop and enter the October challenge!

G.A. 

October 20th, Soubrettina This sounds silly- I'm afraid I forgot my birthday was coming up (in case you're wondering, I'm 23, which begs the question of what I'll be like when I'm 73). I'm not too fussy, but I would quite like an overheard conversation, possibly amusing, just about anywhere. Thank you.

Birthday-drabble for JunoMagic

I have to say, the prompt was not easy, as parodies weren't allowed, and if one wanted to find a more-or-less reasonable way to get LotR characters into the modern world. I think the examples we have seen so far show great creativity!

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, Juno!

Imhiriel

Friend of Birds

The vet inspects the budgerigar’s broken wing, his gentle hands and voice soothing ruffled turquoise feathers.

Twinkling eyes regard the little girl. “She will fly again, strong and fearless as before.”

The girl leaves presently with her father, reassured as her pet.

In the practice, the kindly, unassuming vet also seems gone. Holding the bird is a lord of dignity and power.

The budgie is not in the least alarmed. She merely blinks slowly, cocks her head, nibbles tenderly at the fingers still caressing her.

And only she hears the soft voice murmuring, “Yavanna watches over us both, my friend.”

A/N:
- “Radagast is, of course, a worthy Wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue; and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends.” (FotR, The Council of Elrond)
- “...even Gandalf, whom he thought he knew so well, [was] revealed as lord[s] of dignity and power. (FotR, Many Meetings)

GA,

Very nicely done. I love Faramir and Pippin together, and Faramir's knowledge of history and lore really shine through here. Pippin teaching Faramir the dance is a sweet touch. I really enjoyed this.

Mike

Re: Birthday-drabble for JunoMagic

Imhiriel,

Radagast as a vet. What a good idea. I like the little bird being so calm and secure in his hands. A tender little drabble. Good job.

Mike

Re: Birthday-drabble for JunoMagic

Vielen Dank! Heart

Of all of Tolkien's characters I'm most certain that Radagast stayed on. And that he's still somewhere out there, befriending creatures all too often overlooked and maltreated.

Thank you very much, this is wonderful!

Yours
Juno

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum