Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: July 2006 Birthdays, Take 3

July 2006 Birthdays, Take 3

Welcome to all. The wheel of time turns and half the year is vanished like dust in the wind. If you have a July birthday, please post your request. Birthday folk, please visit the workshop and put your story in it.

If you have questions, please ask.

Gandalfs apprentice

2nd, TariElfLady: I would love to receive anything about Legolas.

4th, Teleri: For a drabble, I love anything, but I would greatly enjoy a piece dealing with Arwen and the effects of mortality.

9th, Rous: I did not remember to ask for stories for my birthday. If anyone cares to write one, I like elves. However, I will read anything. (Yeah, I am that desperate.) Any rating.

12th, Marta: I want stories on quests and journeys. Give me your favourite character(s) getting ready to leave for a journey. Or wanting to take one. Or about to say good-bye to someone else who's about to leave. Or welcoming someone for the first time, after a long absence. Anything like that. I like my drabbles canon-based but a bit obscure, and if you can manage Harad and/or Doriath, I will be doubly pleased.

18th, Mirwen Amruniel: So... request time: Predictably, knowing me as you guys do, I would like anything pervy and elfy (read: Legolas. Legolas at a workout? Legolas at workout in leather?? Legolas in leather, working out and bare-chested?! GAH... down, Cheryl down.). I'll drool at A/L slash too. lol.

25th, Vilwarin: I wish for Aragorn. It can either be with Halbarad (I find slash quite acceptable this year), any other ranger or with Arwen. I feel quite a bit naughty this year, so the rating may go up to adult, both with slash or het. But it need not be, I find everything acceptable.

Re: July 2006 Birthdays, Take 3

Hm, I thought that since we are six birthday children, should there not be a July birthday drabble challenge for us to put our stories in? I think it was so in the past.

~Vilwarin

For Marta

Late, yes - but late presents are fun, too! Hope your day was great, Marta!

Time to Go

"She kicked me," Théodred said, mildly incredulous, "then crawled under the bed and tried to bite my hand when I was foolish enough to reach for her."

Théoden rubbed his forehead.  "It is not as if we can leave without her," he said wearily. "Keep trying – she is just frightened and upset."

Éomer slipped away unnoticed by uncle and cousin and made his way into the hall.  He lay on his stomach and peered into the darkness under his parents' bed.  "Éowyn," he whispered, "they're waiting for you. We have to go."

"Why?" she demanded, and she sounded like she'd been crying. "I don't want to go! I want to stay here."

"But we can't," Éomer told her, sighing. "We have to go live in Edoras now.  Uncle is Mother's brother, and we have to go stay with him til we're old enough to take care of ourselves."

Éowyn was sobbing now. "I want Mother and Father to take care of me."

Éomer fought off the urge to burst into tears himself. "They're gone,  min sweostor," he replied softly. "Uncle will take care of us now – and I will take care of you."

She slid across the floor  until she could look Éomer in the face. "Will I take care of you?"

He reached under the bed, and took her hand. "You will."

When a resigned  Théodred re-entered the room, he found Éomer sitting cross-legged on the rug with a dusty, tear-streaked Éowyn in his lap.  The boy looked up, and Théodred's  chest tightened at the grief on his young cousin's face.  "We're ready to go now."

Re: For Marta

Oh, no, that was so sad, and so beautiful at the same time. They first lost their parents, and now their home as well!

"She kicked me," Théodred said, mildly incredulous, "then crawled under the bed and tried to bite my hand when I was foolish enough to reach for her."

Ah, that sounded so Éowyn-like, always the fighter. 

Éomer sitting cross-legged on the rug with a dusty, tear-streaked Éowyn in his lap.

When I read this, I wanted to take both of them into my arms.  

~Vilwarin

Happy birthday, Vilwarin!

No slash or het, but here's a triple drabble featuring Aragorn and Halbarad for you, Vil.

Trade in Kind

"There's no journey without a hitch," the older Rangers say. "There's always something—just hope it doesn't kill you or anyone else."

Aragorn and Halbarad have faced bandits, orcs, payment reneged, floods, and one time even fire when a summer thunderstorm set the plains between Mirkwood and the High Pass alight. That had nearly been the end of them; it had certainly been the end of the goods they had been guarding.

This time, it's a broken cart—Southern measure doesn't fit the ruts in the Road near Bree, and the axel had given way, taking much of the undercarriage with it. Halbarad had run ahead to town to bring help, while Aragorn had stood guard with the cursing merchant.

Eventually, help had come: a cart to match the ruts and carry the goods, and draft horses to drag the wagon back to town, whence it was sent to the smith and carpenter. Aragorn and Halbarad, off duty now, go with it nonetheless to watch as smith and carpenter take off dented wheels, break out the old axel and its damaged fittings, make a new one, replace the chassis, fit the cart with iron-capped wheels broader in the rim than the ruts.

"Are you any good at carpentry?" Halbarad asks.

"I can make a bow. Or a spear," Aragorn replies.

Halbarad grunts. "Too bad," he says. "Sometimes, I wish…"

He doesn't finish, but he doesn't need to. Young as they are, they've been on the Road long enough now to know their proper craft—to know that it's no 'craft' at all, as the smith or the carpenter or weaver or even merchant measures the meaning of that word.

Thus as the smith and carpenter shake hands, Aragorn murmurs wistfully, "Me, too." He ducks his head and sighs. "Me, too!"

Re: Happy birthday, Vilwarin!

Thank you, Dwim. I really liked that one, this is so realistic and so businesslike.

payment reneged ? Uh, just show them the sharp end of your sword and they pay whatever you want. Hehe

This time, it's a broken cart Oh, what a bother, that one, standing in the middle of the road with your goods all over the place. The merchant running back and forth and you having to keep a cool head, not so easy.

Southern measure doesn't fit the ruts in the Road near Bree Southern, low quality. That makes me compare a city car to an off roader.

An honest, respected craft, we all wish that.

~Vilwarin

Yes, it was so, and it will be! I can create a July Challenge, of course. But unfortunately only three of the July babies (you, Marta, Rous) have set up their workshop stories, so all the other birthday gifts cannot be entered in the challenge.

One of my goals as Birthday Drabble Assistant is to get those workshop stories going! Please help, everyone!

Gandalfs apprentice 

Re: July 2006 Birthdays, Tari ElfLady

2nd, TariElfLady: I would love to receive anything about Legolas.

Happy Birthday, Tari! (at least I'm still in the right month with this one)

Taking Stock

From the high parapet, Legolas inspected the distant forests of Ithilien half hidden in the afternoon haze over Anduin.  He would go home - no, north was home no longer – to recruit elves to settle in Ithilien.  There was much to plan.

The thought stopped him. Content to observe his father manage a kingdom, and with no expectation such tasks would fall to him, he had planned only war.

Ithilien was fair.  It would be fairer still, and, though he had not expected it, he found the thought of lordship there intriguing enough to mute the cry of the gulls.

Hope it wasa very happy day!

Gwynnyd 

Great final image, EL, of sister and brother, and Théodred standing over them. Nicely done!

Dwim

Re: Happy birthday, Vilwarin!

Thank you, Dwim.

You're welcome!

payment reneged ? Uh, just show them the sharp end of your sword and they pay whatever you want. Hehe

Arrr, we've gone into tha piratical, now, have we, maties? ;)

outhern, low quality. That makes me compare a city car to an off roader.

*snork!* That wasn't my intention, but I can see how that would seem. I was thinking of this random 'factoid' that the standard measure for the width of the wheels on a cart in the ancient world was some really odd, irregular standard, because it was designed to match the Roman chariots, which always had just enough room for the backends of two horses. Any narrower, and the danger was that on a well-rutted road, the cart would actually break because it would slide in and out of the ruts instead of staying neatly within them.

Happy early birthday!

Dwim

Content to observe his father manage a kingdom, and with no expectation such tasks would fall to him, he had planned only war.

I like that observation, Gwynnyd - this would be a huge and unforeseen step for Legolas. That the promise of trying his own hand at governance in a strange new (and fair) land is what helps keep the birdcalls at bay is an interesting idea.

Dwim

I like that observation, Gwynnyd - this would be a huge and unforeseen step for Legolas. That the promise of trying his own hand at governance in a strange new (and fair) land is what helps keep the birdcalls at bay is an interesting idea.

Why, thank you, Dwim!  What exactly does it mean to be a king's son, when the king expects to live forever?  And yet, he is his father's son and the 'kingly traits' are in his blood.  Given the chance, I can see why he wanted to try his hand at running things.

Gwynnyd 

Ah, that sounded so Éowyn-like, always the fighter. 
Heh, poor Theoden and Theodred don't know what they're getting.

Yes, those two always make me need to snuggle them when I'm writing them at this age. Poor confused little things.

Thank you!

Dwim - Thank you! I just love the dynamic between those three.

To all of my wonderful drabblers -

I really appreciate all of the lovely drabbles you have written. I have read them as they came in to my inbox (bless HASA's email alerts!) but I want to re-read them before I comment.

If you haven't already please make sure you put them into my story. I will re-read all of the ones their and hopefully comment over the next few days. Again, thanks for the fun reads.

Marta

I have created a July Birthday Challenge for the wonderful collections that have been created for the July babies. Please enter your workshop story in the Challenge, and let's go public!

Gandalfs apprentice

Thank you, G.A. just entered my story.

To TariElfLady, Teleri and Mirwen Amruniel : Create your stories, put them into the workshop and the challenge. PLEASE! It only works with your help.

~Vilwarin

For this challenge, would we need to write our own, original drabble, or take the ones that others have written for us and place them into a story format?

Birthday Drabble Instructions

Hi, Teleri

You are supposed to set up a story in the HASA Birthday Cards workshop.

The purpose of setting the story up in the workshop is it then allows the drabblers to enter their stories as chapters in YOUR story. You then enter your story in the Challenge.

If this seems impossible to understand, try Instructions for Birthday Drabbling: complete and easy to follow instructions..

Let me know if you need more help.

Gandalfs apprentice, Birthday Challenge Maven

Time to Go

> "She kicked me," Théodred said, mildly incredulous, "then crawled under the bed and tried to bite my hand when I was foolish enough to reach for her."

Lol! This is so typical!

I find it very amusing and at the same time very moving that it is his promise that she can take care of him in return that makes her comply.
And Éomer is a wonderful big brother!

Imhiriel

Drabble for Vilwarin

Hello Vilwarin,

I'm sitting on this drabble for over two weeks now, and I'm glad I can finally present it to you - happy Birthday!

Imhiriel

And Thought How Blessed He Was

It had been so long a wait.

Aragorn, finally feeling the reality of her smooth skin under his fingers, her lips melting under his own, hearing her breathing quicken and deepen, could not prevent the single tear from falling.

It was too much, too overwhelming all of a sudden.

Arwen smiled up at him, loving, flushed and bright-eyed.

She reached out, following the shiny track with a finger. She caressed his eyes, his lips, the tip of his tongue: tingling, tantalising, arousing...

Trailed her fingers lower down his body...

And whispered, “Let go. Let go now, Aragorn. You are home.”

~*~

A/N:

- The title and Arwen’s words are (adapted) quotes from “Caprice and Rondo”, by Dorothy Dunnett.

Re: Drabble for Vilwarin

Oh, thank you so much, Imhiriel.

You showed Aragorn's feelings so well. It really must be a very special moment after so many years of pining and suffering.

Arwen's words fit so well.

~Vilwarin

Vilwarin,

I decided to attempt a rather um, explicit, double drabble for you...it's my first one, so I hope you like it! Due to content, I placed it in the challange rather then here in the forum!

Happy birthday,

Laureleaf

Hi, Laureleaf!

I love your drabble--very tasty, especially for a first!

But you don't need to set up a special story for it. You can enter it as a chapter in Vilwarin's own birthday story in the workshop. There you can click on "add chapter" and you will be able to enter your gift with all the others she has received.

The purpose of having birthday stories in the workshop is to allow all the various writers to do this. Please give it a try--if you have any problems, contact me or Gwynnyd, the workshop manager.

Thanks for joining the birthday drabblers!

Gandalfs apprentice

I love your drabble--very tasty, especially for a first!

hmmm....no pun intended, right?

Ok, i updated the workshop, so do I go back and delete it from my stories?

Thanks,
LL

Thank you, Laureleaf. I loved it and I could imagine perfectly what he is doing. I think only feeling and not seeing makes it much more intense. he is so lucky, is she not?

Happy Begetting day. For some reason it always makes me laugh when I read it. An interesting little bit of canon.

Ok, i updated the workshop, so do I go back and delete it from my stories?

Yes, it is enough if you post it in my birthday story.

~Vilwrin

Your welcome...it was fun to write, so i'm glad you liked it!

≈Laureleaf

Imhiriel-

Thanks!
it is his promise that she can take care of him in return that makes her comply.
Well, she wants to know that she's needed, especially by her big brother.  

July Birthdays Will Be Over Soon

Hello, birthday folk and drabblers,

July has been a remarkable month for the creativity and number of requests and contributions. 

The July birthday challenge will be closing soon. Please remember to set up your birthday story in the HASA Birthday Cards workshop, and enter that story in the July Birthday Challenge, so that we have all the July birthday stories in one place.

Please contact me if you need assistance.

Gandalfs apprentice 

For Marta, belatedly

12th, Marta: I want stories on quests and journeys. Give me your favourite character(s) getting ready to leave for a journey. Or wanting to take one. Or about to say good-bye to someone else who's about to leave. Or welcoming someone for the first time, after a long absence. Anything like that. I like my drabbles canon-based but a bit obscure, and if you can manage Harad and/or Doriath, I will be doubly pleased.

Leaving

When the seamstress saw the Queen was distracted she said: “Your Majesty?”

Melian shook off the distraction, “Nothing… a disturbance … Yes, the darker fabric is better.”

She did not have to rush the seamstress who wanted to ply her needle. Soon she was able to sit quietly and deal with the disturbance to the Girdle she kept
‘Goodbye mother, I still love you.’
around Doriath. Protection for everything except
‘Goodbye Luthien, daughter, love’
what she loved most. She knew that Luthien leaving with Beren would bring, and her heart began to break.

Years later when Thingol died under the axes of the Dwarves without her even talking mind to mind, the breaking was completed. She had obeyed the Valar, what they told her in dream. Let her loved ones be destroyed so their deeds would rebound to the glory of Iluvartar’s creation. Now she could journey home and forget.

Ranger1

Oh, thank you so much, Imhiriel.

You're very welcome!

You showed Aragorn's feelings so well. It really must be a very special moment after so many years of pining and suffering.

Thank you. I thought so,too ;).

Arwen's words fit so well.

Yes. I'm very grateful to my muse for letting me think about those quotes.

Imhiriel

Re: July 2006 Birthdays, Vilwarin

25th, Vilwarin: I wish for Aragorn. It can either be with Halbarad...

I've been toying with this idea for some time now, but it finally jelled. 

I've always wondered why Aragorn took Halbarad with him when he used the palantir in Helm's Deep and not Gandalf, or the twins, or any of the Fellowship.  Here's my answer. (Ah, in Gwynnyd!verse, teenage Halbarad spent his summers in Rivendell... someday I'll finish those stories.)

I hope your birthday was happy!

Trust

The summer they were fourteen, the Dark Lord died every day; the morning's elaborate, cunning strategies always ending in a furious sword fight. Sauron had only one hand, and they fought as a strong, valiant team.  How hard could it be once they confronted him?  Halbarad, supporting Aragorn as he wrested in truth with the Dark Lord high in Helm's Deep, had a moment of nostalgia for his lost naiveté. 

Aragorn's hands gripped the table, pressure crescents of red and white showing through the dirt on his nails.  The bright currents within the ball reflected the hilt of Andúril, then hid, then flared against the flint-hard brightness of Aragorn's eyes.  His face was set into stern, proud lines, lips moving in an occasional soundless mutter, looking as if they would snarl had their owner less control. 

Aragorn had the right to use the palantír, and the strength. His need was great, and the consequences of failure, dire.

"I have never been a fool, Hal," he'd said as they entered the room, enigmatic cloth-wrapped lump held close.  They had both recognized the flare of fondness for the impractical schemes of their youth.  "I trust you with this, as I'd trust no other."

When Halbarad understood what Aragorn wanted, he had gripped Aragorn's shoulder. "I promise to do it, but I will not have to. You will not fail."

Watching Aragorn, he still believed that, although the confrontation raged on. Halbarad felt the tension build to a nearly unendurable peak.  Soon, Aragorn would either wrench the palantír to his own uses or Halbarad would have to fulfill his promise and prevent Aragorn from revealing any secrets.  He took a firmer grip on the bit of rough sacking in his left hand and stole a fleeting glance at the knife in his right.

Gwynnyd 

Trust

This is very good, Gwynnyd! I like how the story slowly builds up from the innocuous memories of adolescence to the present dark reality. And the ending - absolutely brilliant.

Imhiriel

(Apparently my last reply got caught in the server crash. I hope it wasn't *because* of my reply.  Let's try this again.)

This is very good, Gwynnyd! I like how the story slowly builds up from the innocuous memories of adolescence to the present dark reality. And the ending - absolutely brilliant.

Thank you!   

He did know an awful lot that Sauron shouldn't learn and he took the 'friend and kinsman' with him, not the older brothers.  I can't see him trying such an endeavor without backup and a plan B.  The consequences of failure were too high.

Glad you liked it!

Gwynnyd

Ah, thank you so much Gwynnyd. It was wonderful and so unexpected.

~Vilwarin

Another Marta drabble

Slipped this one to Marta on her birthday whilst at work, and then forgot to put it up anywhere else. Now that she's safely established in her new home, this seems somehow more appropriate.

Dwim

Sojourning

Aragorn likes to jest that every journey ends in disappointment. The world does not repay imagination, forever violates its vision. For vision cannot imagine, say, the heat of Harad, nor the winter squalor of Bree, the muddy way up to Edoras. It loves to eclipse the existence of sunburn and blisters.

Yet visions splintered on such pains grow light with time and lift the heaviness from facts. There’s something edifying in cold’s bitterness or the awful emptiness of Rohan’s plains—they are real, they have touched and changed him, made vision a little clearer: journey’s end is but the beginning…

Trust

I don't think I mentioned how much I liked this one, Gwynnyd! That last ditch option, to prevent a greater betrayal, is chilling, but one I suspect must have come out at some point between Aragorn and Halbarad, given the risks involved. Halbarad's trust that it will remain an unused option is exactly what I'd expect of him.

Well done!

Dwim

Re: July 2006 Birthdays, for Teleri

4th, Teleri: For a drabble, I love anything, but I would greatly enjoy a piece dealing with Arwen and the effects of mortality.

More than drabble, but less than a novella!  I hope your birthday was happy, that the year since then has been good for you, and the rest of the year will be wonderful.

Happy birthday.  Go read "The Lap of Time", at 3542 words it's too long to paste in here.

Gwynnyd 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum