Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: May 2006 Birthdays

May 2006 Birthdays

Welcome to all. A bouquet of flowers for May.

If you have a May birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the workshop, put your story in it, and enter the May challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

RiverOtter

6th, RiverOtter: As this is a special birthday [55], I decided to ask for Lothlorien tales. The 5th anniversary is wood and the 50th gold so the Golden Wood ie Lothlorien.

9th, Radbooks: I would like drabbles about Glorfindel. At any point of his life, either alone or interacting with other characters.

25th, Dwimordene: I would like drabbles about the meaning of aging. NOT merely being older—aging. Pick your character(s) and species.

Re: May 2006 Birthdays

For my birthday (25th of the month), I would like drabbles about the meaning of aging. NOT merely being older—aging. Pick your character(s) and species, but that's the theme that currently is holding my interest. I'm hoping some of these will help me out of a nuzgully deadlock.

Thanks,

Dwim

9th, Radbooks:  I would like drabbles about Glorfindel.  At any point of his life, either alone or interacting with other characters.

Thanks!  Radbooks

6th, RiverOtter: As this is a special birthday [55], I decided to ask for Lothlorien tales. The 5th anniversary is wood and the 50th gold so the Golden Wood ie Lothlorien.

Hello RiverOtter, I hope this fits the bill. Have a nice birthday!

Taking Roots

She gazed a little anxiously at the little silver nut in the earth, then back up at me, questioning.

I had to smile, the uncertainty so unfamiliar in my usually confident wife.

"I think it is deep enough."

Nodding, she covered the nut, tapping the earth a little to settle it. Taking the watering can I offered her, she watered the spot, in exactly the right measure, confidence coming back in performing tasks she had seen me do countless times.

Then she stood, leaning into me contentedly.

"The first Mallorn east of the Sea. May it prosper and be fruitful."

A/N:

- "…but Gil-Galad gave some [mallorn tree nuts] to his kinswoman Galadriel, and under her power they grew and flourished in the guarded land of Lothlórien beside the River Anduin, until the High Elves at last left Middle-earth…" (UT, Part Two I, A Description of the Island of Númenor)

~*~

Imhiriel

That was so sweet. As a researcher, I love stories that take a bit of history and expand on it. The interaction between Galadriel and, I assume, Celeborn is perfect as he watches and helps her but do not take over.

RiverOtter

For Radbooks

It's a little early, but I hope you enjoy.  Happy Birthday!

~~Mar'isu

The Halls of Waiting
By Mar'isu

5/4/2006

In the mind of Eru they meet, golden-haired, bright-eyed and shining.  Twins more perfect than any mother could birth.

"I die," says one.

"I live," says the other.

"Through fire, I serve."

"With fire, I save."

Identical hands meet and clasp between them, like grasping through a mirror.

"From the dawn of Men," the vow continues.

"To the dusk of Elves."

Two selves merge to one, and that one speaks with the voice of both.  "Glorfindel of Gondolin is still Lord of the Golden Flower."

Awaiting hope in Ennor, a golden warrior at last remembers life's command.  "Go, Glorfindel of Imladris, and fear no falling shadow!"

Re: For Radbooks

The Halls of Waiting

Wow. Mar'isu, this is beautiful, in a chilling way. Although that's not how I see the Halls of Waiting, or the process of being reborn, it's a wonderful vision. Very evocative, powerful writing! I especially liked the comparing and contrasting, and the alliteration at the end (isn't it a quote from somewhere in LotR? If so, very effectively used.)

Imhiriel

Thank you, RiverOtter. I'm glad I picked a moment that you like, too, as a researcher.

I originally intended to use at least one of the names of the couple, to clarify it, and to ground it in its context. But I couldn't make it fit within the word count, and then I thought that the quote in the A/N would make it clear enough.

I have edited it slightly, changed the word order around so it now says, "May it prosper and be fruitful" - I think that would be a more logical order of things .

Imhiriel

Re: For Radbooks

I'm glad you liked it, Imhiriel.

The last line is similar to the injuction given to the hobbits by Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, to "fear no nightly noises!"  As Glorfindel is one of the few who can ride openly against the Nine, I figured he would fear no falling shadow.

Mar'isu

Eureka! RiverOtter, I promised you another drabble in my e-mail, should I manage to catch the idea merrily buzzing around in my head. Tonight, I did . Your birthday may be over, but I hope I can bring you joy on yet another day of your birthday month.

Imhiriel

On the Fair Hill 

Hushed silence reigned between the Mellyrn; the only sounds the soft rustling of the canopy, the song of a bird wooing its mate.

Beams of sunlight reached through the leaves, turning the scene into a dazzling vista of green, gold and silver. Dust motes shimmered, flickered, danced in the warm breeze of a Midsummer evening. Swaying branches created dappled spots of light, forever changing, revealing new details.

A cluster of golden blossoms. A leaf, gently drifting, showing its pale green or its silver side. Stars of Elanor and Niphredil studding the grass.

A kiss of two lovers, joining long-sundered kindred.

A/N:

- The title is inspired by the corresponding passage in RotK, Appendix A I (v), The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen

Very pretty piece, Imhiriel; you capture the beauty of Lorien's heart. And I love the last line.

RAKSHA, envious

Happy Belated Birthday, RiverOtter

I actually wrote this several months ago; as part of a short ficlet series I have not yet finished.

FOOTFALLS IN LORIEN

Summer has followed spring in an incomparable season. Here, in fair Lothlorien, I saw again the mortal boy who loved me, grown into grace and lordship. My heart stopped in wonder, and knew love at long last.

Our flesh yearns to touch as have our hearts. Yet we would not debase a love still new and pure. One warm day, we run barefoot through the trees of Cerin Amroth. Laughing, we fall to the ground. Hands clasp, and our lips kiss and then dutifully separate. But our unshod feet press together, joining in the fragrant field of niphredil and elanor…

Then for a season they wandered together in the glades of Lothlórien, until it was time for him to depart. And on the evening of Midsummer Aragorn, Arathorn's son, and Arwen daughter of Elrond went to the fair hill, Cerin Amroth, in the midst of the land, and they walked unshod on the undying grass with elanor and niphredil about their feet And there upon that hill they looked east to the Shadow and west to the Twilight, and they plighted their troth and were glad. - Annals of the Kings And Rulers, Appendix A, Lord of the Rings

Re: Happy Belated Birthday, RiverOtter

I look forward to the ficlet series. This is sweet. As a researcher, I enjoy gapfillers. It is so nice to see an idea expanded into a drable or a story. Thanks for my belated birthday present.

RiverOtter

Thank you very much for your kind words, Raksha.

Originally, I didn't plan a specific time or place for the drabble, it should only capture what you call "the beauty of Lorien's heart". But it somehow felt unfinished, unmoored (and the word counts was awry ). And then, this last line just... flew into my head, and it fit perfectly. So I'm doubly glad that you love it.

But there's really no need to be envious - I was enchanted by your drabble as well, and am quite looking forward to the finished piece. I was always very fond of the picture of Arwen and Aragorn walking barefoot on the grass between the flowers, so I, too, love your last line.

Imhiriel

Imhiriel, I have very little affinity with Nature; and describing trees and plants with any originality is always difficult for me; so I particularly envy writers like you who make it not only look easy, but really bring out the beauty of such things.

Thanx for the compliments on my drabble. I'd love to call it "Footsies in Lorien", but I really don't think that's what the good Professor had in mind when he conjured up the image of Aragorn and Arwen walking barefoot...

RiverOtter; I'm so glad you liked the piece. I hope to get the rest of it into shape by the end of the year, if I can get the Muse's cooperation....

RAKSHA

Birthday-Drabble for Radbooks

Radbooks said: I would like drabbles about Glorfindel.  At any point of his life, either alone or interacting with other characters.

Radbooks, I'm sorry for the tardiness of the drabble, but it took this long for my muse to come up with a good idea for your request. I hope you like it nevertheless!

Imhiriel

At the Bridge of Mitheitel

Glorfindel straightened up from where he had just placed the beryl, a moment before Asfaloth angrily snorted.

Three Ring-wraiths on the bridge!

Rumours had proved true: The Nine were abroad.

Glorfindel sprang upon his mount, drawing his sword in the same fluid motion. Asfaloth needed no urging, swiftly gaining momentum, flicking his ears at his rider's cry.

"Elbereth!"

Harness-bells jingling wildly, they galloped towards their foes.

Piercing screams rending the air, the Nazgûl wheeled their horses, digging in cruel spurs, to flee back the way they had come.

Glorfindel laughed aloud, battle-fury coursing through him, and chased them before him.

Edit 05-June: corrected galloped

Happy Birthday, Dwim

You asked for drabbles on the meaning of aging. Well, this is a very personal subject, and so I'm not at all sure that my offering will address your nuzgully deadlock. My drabble muse has been slumbering lately, but then she groggily opened her bleary, nearsighted eyes and pronounced the lines below.

I did have some other ideas: 1. Gandalf realizing that his memory lapse before the Doors of Moria was a senior moment, and 2. Aragorn NOT choosing the Numenorean way of death. Ick, double ick.

"Alas, for the dying of the trees"

Sometimes Gimli wished he had never learned Sindarin.

True, the books of the Elven craftsmen betrayed the secrets of wondrous skills that eluded the finest Dwarven smiths.

And understanding the meaning of the words increased his delight in the luminous Elven singing at night under the stars.

But now Legolas was gazing sorrowfully at the naked tree branches.

Grumbling, Gimli stumped behind, favoring his gouty foot, chafing his arthritic hands against the cold, and keenly aware that his beard matched the color of the snow.

That whining Elf began chanting yet another poem lamenting the sad passage of the years!

Birthday-Drabble for Dwimordene

Hello Dwim, I'm not sure if this drabble really hits the requested nuance between "being older" and "aging", but I seem to remember that you have a soft spot for Ioreth, so I hope you're pleased even if it's not exactly what you meant (and I would be truly grateful for your judment on the matter).

Imhiriel

But the Scent still lingers

There had been roses in my hair the last time I saw him. My cousin's wedding to one of his soldiers, it had been. My hair had been dark then, long down my back. Now it is grey, bundled under a matron's veil.

We had danced, light-footedly gliding over the floor, my hands white against his black tunic. Now I am quickly short of breath, steps unsure, brown-spotted hands faintly trembling at times.

He does not recognise me. But when he entered Faramir's chamber, bringing hope and healing, I could smell the scent, the scent of roses of Imloth Melui.

A/N:
- "The weed is better than I thought. It reminds me of the roses of Imloth Melui when I was a lass, and no king could ask for better." (RotK, The Houses of Healing)

Re: Happy Birthday, Dwim

I'm not at all sure that my offering will address your nuzgully deadlock.

One never knows. At the very least, I stand by the principle I learned as a CM: There's no reason to suffer alone--spread nuzgûl.

1. Gandalf realizing that his memory lapse before the Doors of Moria was a senior moment,

*snork*

and 2. Aragorn NOT choosing the Numenorean way of death. Ick, double ick.

Actually, this whole "Númenorean way of death" issue is one of the things this little cluster-bomb of a nuzgûl has given me to work with. *beans nuzgûl*

That whining Elf began chanting yet another poem lamenting the sad passage of the years!

LOL, yes, I can see that one! Narrative pain just ain't the same as actually feeling your age.

Thanks, GA!

Dwim

Re: Birthday-Drabble for Dwimordene

I seem to remember that you have a soft spot for Ioreth

She's an acquired taste, but once acquired, much enjoyed.

And what an interesting idea, that Ioreth is old enough to remember Thorongil, and more than that, to have met and danced with him once. I particularly like the contrasts in the middle paragraph - hands have such great character to them, and make such a lovely visual image of years passed here.

But when he entered Faramir's chamber, bringing hope and healing, I could smell the scent, the scent of roses of Imloth Melui.

Nice tie back to the line in the book, and smell is pretty evocative, as well as (I think) one of the last senses you lose when you are dying.

Thanks, Imhiriel!

Re: Happy Birthday, Dwim

Hi, Dwim

The Numenorean choice is also a big theme with me. I have a whole draft story that deals with this at some length, and as you know it comes up in "The Sword of Elendil." The problem is, my thoughts do not lend themselves to a drabble-length piece. But I might try to carve off one little piece and do that!

All by way of encouraging you to set up your story in the workshop so we can put our things there.....I may tweak "Alas, for the dying of the trees" a bit.

Have a happy birthday! (I did notice you didn't give away your age.)

G.A. 

Re: Birthday-Drabble for Dwimordene

And what an interesting idea, that Ioreth is old enough to remember Thorongil, and more than that, to have met and danced with him once.

It's not something I had ever contemplated before, and of course there's no indication in the text. But somehow I like it, especially the one-sidedness of the memory. I wonder if she would ever tell him, or if he will ever find out...

I particularly like the contrasts in the middle paragraph - hands have such great character to them, and make such a lovely visual image of years passed here.

I'm so glad that I seem to have achieved your desired portrayal of aging. I, too, often focus on descriptions of hands when reading, and totally agree with you that they have "great character" and can express so many things.

Nice tie back to the line in the book, and smell is pretty evocative,

Ioreth was thinking back to that day when she had roses in her hair.

as well as (I think) one of the last senses you lose when you are dying.

Really? I thought it was the sense of hearing, but smell is often underrated in it's impact on people, so it could very well be.

Imhiriel

FYI

Just to let you know, I created a story and added it to the B-day cards workshop. So for those who have written a drabble for me (thank you!), you can add it to the story.

Dwim

Hi Dwim,

I mentioned privately that your request had already inspired a few nuzgul, but that they didn't seem to boil down into drabbles.

Apparently I lied.

Here's 100 words on the topic of aging. Hope it fits the bill!

-------

"Unchanged"
(Beta: Tanaqui)

Rory's knees popped as he settled into his chair. In his youth he'd raced and wrestled with the best of 'em, but now even a gentle day's ride along the High Hay pained him.

Still, age did have its rewards – wisdom, family, peace, the comforts of a life well-lived.

He looked across the hall where Bilbo twirled his great-niece through the air. What must it be like, for the years to break upon you with no more affect than Brandywine's waves upon her Bridge?

The gossip-mongers might name Bilbo well-preserved, but when had longevity become the only boon worth having?

Marta

Happy Belated Birthday, Dwim!

This was rather heartbreaking to write, but you wanted a piece about aging.  Here's a tri-drabble (tribble?).

Bitter Watches

We defeated all foes but time. Éowyn is old. Her golden hair is silvered to pure white now. She can no longer run to greet me, or to climb a mounting block, but must needs step carefully, mindful of the risk to her fragile bones.

She mounts the wild-hearted colts and fillies no more. Her hands lack the strength to guide them. She must ride gentler mares, older geldings, at a walk or a trot, never to gallop again. She stands by the corral, watching with sad eyes as the young foals cavort. I know she believes she will not live to see them attain maturity.

At night, we cling to each other in the bed we have shared for more than three score years. We have made love, and three children, there. Sometimes we still pleasure each other, but more often we share the comfort of long habit, the love of hearts rather than bodies.

I know that Éowyn is weary. I know she hates the feebleness that age has inflicted on her body and begins, ever so slowly, to inflict on her mind. I cannot help that my body has betrayed our love, and is still younger and more hardy than hers. Soon, in months, or a year; I fear that my White Lady's proud spirit will take flight forever.

I swore, long ago that my love would be a safe harbor, not a cage to trammel her; and will keep that promise. So when we lie close at night, our arms warm around each other, her head pillowed on my breast; I bite down the words that my selfish heart yearns to say: Do not leave me, beloved. Our years have been many and good, but not long enough. I still need thee, my White Lady.  Stay!

Re: FYI

Hey, Dwim

I posted a new, tweaked "Alas for the dying of the trees" in your birthday workshop. See below for the new text.

TTFN,

G.A. 

"Alas, for the dying of the trees"

Sometimes Gimli wished he had never learned Sindarin.

True, the books on Elven crafts betrayed secrets of wondrous skills that eluded even the finest Dwarven smiths.

And the luminous Elven music melded with the meaning of the poetry like gold and mithril intertwined.

But now, favoring his gouty foot, chafing his arthritic hands against the cold, and keenly aware that his beard matched the color of the snow, he feared the penalty was again come due: Legolas was gazing sorrowfully at the leafless trees.

"Spare me, Elf," he grumbled, "another endless lament whining about the sad passage of the years."

And as usual the Elves do not talk to me of sadness. A drabble and a quater.

An incident in Lorien

The concerned looking Elf led Legolas to the clearing, pointed. Two familiar looking Hobbit heads stuck out of some bushes while a familiar Hobbit lay beside them gasping. The Elves exchanged words. Legolas approached.

“Frodo, the Galadhrim saw you, are you ill?”

Frodo could only wheeze. The head that looked like Sam replied, “We were trying to cheer Mr. Frodo up by rollin down this hill. We didn’t know the bushes had thorns”

Pippin’s head added, “We managed to get tangled in the branches.”

“Should we get Merry, Can he help?”

“That’s alright, I’m here.” Two familiar looking hairy feet kicked out of the pile.

Frodo started laughing again. Legolas held it together long enough to explain what was happening.

Later, Aragorn wandered across three Hobbits burying several hysterical Elves and Frodo in Mallorn leaves.

Happy late birthday.
Ranger1

Thank you for my late birthday present. The image of the elves as hysterical is perfect and a reminder that even elves can have fun.

9th, Radbooks: I would like drabbles about Glorfindel. At any point of his life, either alone or interacting with other characters.

Remember the quote: "... specialization is for insects." and see our Balrog Slayr in a new light.

“O! Tra-la-la-lally!”

Elladan and Elrohir, arms linked, skipped down the hall in the Last Homely-House, ‘dan singing and ‘hir giggling like an Elf-child. As they came to the end of the hall, they stopped and managed a joint, sweeping bow to the Elves they meet.

“I see you are still amusing yourselves at the expense of our guests.”

“Yes Father, The Hobbit loves it.” One said.

“The Dwarves are so funny looking when they are confused.” The other added.

“Perhaps, but in the main Hall could you please maintain dignity?”

“Yes Father.” In unison followed by unhooking arms, shaking out clothes, and smirking. Then they danced into the next Hall.

“Too long it has been since their laughter graced these passages.”

“Yes Master Elrond,” Glorfindel intoned, “but your sons need remember the proper behavior due from leaders of Revendell.”

“If true then why did you recruit the singers to greet the Hobbit and the Dwarves as they approached?”

“I do what I must to assist!” Glorfindel threw his arms around Elrond, kissed him on the forehead, and smiled.

Then Elrond and Glorfindel, arms linked, skipped down the hall in the Last Homely House, ‘Glor singing “Tra-la-la-la-lally” and ‘rond giggling like an Elf-child.

Happy belated birthday, Radbooks

Ranger1

Re: Happy Belated Birthday, Dwim!

Truly heartbreaking, and truly beautiful, Raksha!

I very much like how you show Faramir's mixed emotions, how he tries to be accepting, but how his helplessness and sorrow and anguish come through from time to time. I think my favourite line is the first one. But the passage about Éowyn and horses is really, really sad and poignant, too.

Imhiriel

The Bitter Watches.

Bingo! Nicely encapsulates the problem of aging that does not occur at the same pace, and also the bodily origin of that change.

Killer last lines, Raksha. Thank you for this!

Dwim

So glad that you enjoyed the piece, Dwim!  It's a melancholy topic, at least in my perception.  And no matter how reasonable and prepared for Eowyn's aging and eventual death Faramir might have thought he was, the reality had to be very hard on him, especially since he was more vigorous and healthy, thanx to the genes of Numenor (of which he probably had more than Eowyn).

Imhiriel; I loved your Glorfindel piece - that's teaching the Ulairi just whose river it is!

G.A. - nice work on your "Alas" vignette with whining Legolas and impatient Gimli - very funnny. 

RAKSHA THE DEMON

25th, Dwimordene: I would like drabbles about the meaning of aging. NOT merely being older—aging. Pick your character(s) and species.

It happens to all the species.

Aging?

He looked at the buildings that were going up near his cave. Looked, but oddly did not feel. For long, there seemed to be a screen between him and the rest of the world. How had it come to this? He could remember, he could think, could he not feel, could not learn. His beloved Arda was slipping away. Was he finally aging?
He stood and moved toward the Expressway. It had taken him … centuries? … To get the information he wanted. Without rushing in the slightest the faded Elf started toward the last port for the Straight Road.

Ranger1

Re: May 2006 Birthdays- RiverOtter

Very, very late.. but I hope it was a good birthday, and that the year has gone well for you so far.

It came out to a bit over 1000 words, so here's the link.

City of Trees

Happy Birthday!

Gwynnyd 

Re: May 2006 Birthdays- RiverOtter

Marvelous. Thanks for my late present.

RiverOtter

Re: May 2006 Birthdays - Dwimordene

(Edit - let's try this again! Bad fingers, to hit post so quickly.)

Dwim wanted: drabbles about the meaning of aging. NOT merely being older—aging. Pick your character(s) and species.

I have no clue why my drabble muse insists on ideas that can't be handled in less than ficlets. And this is possibly not strictly canonical, for various readings of LaCE.

I hope your birthday was a very happy one, and that this suits. It also, as a real departure for me, contains some 'adult' material.

One Equal Temper of Heroic Hearts

Happy Belated Birthday!

Gwynnyd

A very, very late present for Dwimordene

(Hee hee! Gwynnyd, that was very amusing. Here's to drabble muses that refuse to be confined.)

Because this is so late, I have a pair of drabbles on the same theme, from parent & child. I hope you enjoy it, Dwim, and that your birthday was happy...

Intimations of Mortality

Elves grow older, as by nature all living things must, but they do not age. Arwen's grandmother -- the most ancient elf she knew -- had seen the light of the Two Trees yet appeared little older than the maidens of her household.

Arwen sings to her sleeping daughter, examining the almond-shaped eyelids (so like Galadriel's) and the lashes fanned against her cheeks. Shorter-lived than a tree, still this child will remain in Arda long after her parents.

Now each year passes as a thief. Arwen wishes for the days when she had no need to count them.

It should have seemed strange to me that my parents did not age, but it never did -- for every child thinks her parents unique, and by the time I understood mine truly were, I was accustomed to their timelessness. Before my father died, little more than a scattering of grey hairs marked his years; strangers took Mother for my sister, until they met her eyes.

Now he lies on the dais, never to grow older. Mother's age shows in her slow movements, though her face is as smooth as always. I fear the time left to her is short.

Re: A very, very late present for Dwimordene

I have a pair of drabbles on the same theme, from parent & child.

Squee!  Oh, those were wonderful!   What a beautiful contrast.

Gwynnyd 

Ooh, thank you very much, Forodwaith! The dual perspective is very effective and draws out that sense that there's being old, but there's also an aging that's separate from the simple march of years and that shows up in the end.

Thank you!

Dwim

Glad you liked them, Dwim & Gwynnyd!

Re: Way, Way, Way late for Dwim

Well, better late than never I always say.

I hope you don't mind a drabble several months after the fact.

I'm not sure if I got the "subject" you asked for quite right, but it's what the muse spewed forth so I hope it's okay.

Cheers and happy birthyear!

Vistula

With Age Comes Responsibility

I hate weeds.

Pulling angrily at a tenacious stalk, Sam grumbled to the grass.

Now fishin’, he thought, shaking a fat worm from the clotted roots, that’d be the way to spend this here sunny afternoon. Not weedin’…

“Sam? Is something wrong?” Frodo’s soft voice was at once amused and disturbed. “You seem to be pulling up Cousin Bilbo’s marigolds.”

Shamefaced, the lad glared mutely at the victim in his hands.

“Weeding could wait. Why don’t you join the other lads…?”

“Cain’t, Mister Frodo,” Sam answered morosely. “I be getting’ too old for playin’ all day. I got re..responstabilities now.”

Re: May 2006 Birthdays - for Radbooks

I do it so often, I am beyond apologizing for thre lateness of my offerings!

I hope this suits, your birthday was happy, and the year is going wellf or you.

Gift from a Generous Heart

You are still the Balrog slayer."  Elrond joined Glorfindel and offered him the spurious comfort of his past successes.

"It hardly matters with your sons cackling maniacally and taking bets as to when we will have another parting of the ways, or falling out, or some other humiliating description."

Elrond thought Glorfindel overreacted.  "At least you bear only bruises. Perhaps he is not the proper partner for you, and you should consider a change. They live such a short time. Is he worth breaking your heart or your head?"

Glorfindel pressed his knuckles to his lips.  "In most things we are well suited. He is intelligent, strong, steadfast. He is only playful and has a… a quirk. Shall I break his heart instead?"

Placing a hand on his friend's shoulder, Elrond gave it a squeeze. "Have you spoken with him? Perhaps he would welcome …"

"We have discussed it," Glorfindel admitted.  "He says he agrees, but surely it is my failing and he is only being generous to acquiesce to this. He is greathearted. "

"Yes. He is. Can you scorn his offering?"

"No. Promise me! Keep your sons away the first time I put saddle and bridle on Asfaloth!"

Arod was his name. But Legolas asked them to take off saddle and rein. 'I need them not,' he said, and leaped lightly up,
     Chapter Two, The Riders of Rohan, The Two Towers

'I did not know you rode bare-back, Gandalf,' he said. 'You haven't a saddle or a bridle!'

'I do not ride elf-fashion, except on Shadowfax,' said Gandalf.
    Chapter Eleven, The Palantir, The Two Towers

'You shall ride my horse,' said Glorfindel. 'I will shorten the stirrups up to the saddle-skins, and you must sit as tight as you can.

He (Frodo) reined his horse (Asfaloth) in, and halted, swaying in his saddle.
    Chapter Twelve, The Flight to the Ford, The Fellowship of the Ring

Stirrups? Saddle? Reins? – Glorfindel does not, apparently, ride elf-fashion on Asfaloth!

Gwynnyd

This is adorable; Gwynnyd!  You almost had me thinking Elrond and Glorfindel were discussing the Balrog-slayer's love life.  Excellent and amusing.

RAKSHA

thinking Elrond and Glorfindel were discussing the Balrog-slayer's love life.

Laugh out loud   Oh good!  I'm glad it worked!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Gwynnyd 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum