Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: January 2006 Birthdays

January 2006 Birthdays

Welcome to all. And Happy New Year. And the wheel turns into another year.

If you have a January birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the workshop, put your story in it, and enter the January challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

RiverOtter
3rd, Imhirel: One of my very favourite symbols in LotR is the new White Tree of Gondor. Therefore I'd like a drabble where it is featured, or someone contemplates it and what it means for him/her personally or on a broader scale, e.g. Aragorn, Faramir, some Gondorian OCs, or perhaps even some Elves who have memories of its ancestors in Gondor, Númenor or Aman. A drabble about the symbolism of this sapling and/or its finding would be very nice, too.

7th, Jay of Lasgalen: I like elves (especially Elladan, Elrohir, Legolas and Thranduil), and I like fluff, angst or slash. Just no evil!Thranduil please. Thank you!

13th, Altarirel: My birthday is on the 13th of January, which this year happens to fall on a Friday. In order to stave off any bad luck which might be screeching in my direction, I would like a drabble about good fate or good fortune, and Faramir (at any stage of his career). It would be nice to see Denethor or Aragorn in there too. Thank you

26th, Makanu: Hey! My birthday is the 26th of January and for this year I would like a drabble about Celeborn. Genre and Age as well as slash, het or gen are all up to you. Thanks in advance.

31st, Marastar, I'd love a drabble exploring either:
(a) any Dol Amroth legends or characters, canon or original;
(b) doomed lovers (such as Eol and Aredhel or Aldarion and Erendis);
(c) or, of course, anything dealing with Faramir and Eowyn.

Re: January 2006 Birthdays

Hello, RiverOtter,

Just wondering if I might put in a request for an anniversary.  This one is precious to me.  I came out of lurking and became an active member here at HASA on 9 January 2005.  I can't believe it's been only one year.  I've learned so much and have made so many friends... good friends and true!  What a blessing this has been for me!

So perhaps someone would like to write a little something about a blessing that one of the men of Gondor received???  Or gave???

Perhaps Denethor, or Faramir, or Boromir???  And anyone or anything could give/be the blessing.... an Elf, a Hobbit, perhaps a Dwarf?  A horse, a jewel, a crown?

Thanks!!!!

Agape4Gondor

My birthday's January 7th.  I like elves (especially Elladan, Elrohir, Legolas and Thranduil), and I like fluff, angst or slash.  Just no evil!Thranduil please.  Thank you!

Jay

Happy New Year to you all!

My birthday was on the 3rd, but I'm only now on-line again, so I admit I'm hoping for some late Tolkien birthday presents ;).

One of my very favourite symbols in LotR is the new White Tree of Gondor.
Therefore I'd like a drabble where it is featured, or someone contemplates it and what it means for him/her personally or on a broader scale, e.g. Aragorn, Faramir, some Gondorian OCs, or perhaps even some Elves who have memories of its ancestors in Gondor, Númenor or Aman. A drabble about the symbolism of this sapling and/or its finding would be very nice, too.

Imhiriel

For Imhiriel

While thinking about the White Tree, I began wondering how the sapling that Gandalf and Aragorn found actually got there.  This is a drabble-and-a-half on what could have happened.    Happy belated birthday!

The White Tree

The old man moved furtively through the courtyard of the fountain.  Night's shadows concealed him from the ever-watchful guards; their attention focused on enemies from without rather than within.

With a nimbleness that belied his apparent age, he neared the tree and reached into the clustering flowers on its crown, taking the single seed formed there.  Then down, down through the many levels and circles of the city, flitting through shadow and darkness to the great gates, before climbing again to the heights of Mindolluin.

There he halted, scooping a small hollow in the earth and placing the seed reverently within before covering it again.  Finally he stood.  "Lie hidden here, even as the race of Elendil lies hidden.  Your time will come." 

With a final glance at the secret hollow, he left the barren, snow-covered wastes to return to the city, and the aged, stooped disguise that cloaked him.

Jay

For Jay, a day early

Atlas

"Ennor is remade, but some things do not change." His friend smiled. "You were always indecisive."

Elladan watched the familiar form against the backlit clouds of evening. "And that being so," he said, "I hope you have not come expecting my decision."

"No." As his fist tightened, the other knelt before him. "There is no need, for you will be welcomed whenever you voyage. I promised you that, as I promised to go nowhere without telling you where I would be."

"As you said, the world has been remade since then."

A hand touched his. "And some things do not change."

Re: For Jay, a day early

Ooh, thank you, Gemma!

I like tales where Elladan or Elrohir debate what their decision will be, as it's yet another thing Tolkien never told us.

I'm quite sure that Elladan sailed in the end though, to be reunited with those he loves.  Thank you again!

Jay

Happy birthday, Imhiriel!

--Gandalfs apprentice

King Elessar's Peace

The old man brought his grandson to see the White Tree in springtime. After 100 years, it soared skyward, its branches embracing the sun. The blossoms rustled with a secret life.

"When my father fought in the War," he said, "the Tree was dead. But after Sauron was destroyed, the King found a sapling. Now our city is filled with laughter and gardens and schools of medicine, music, and astronomy. Instead of wielding a sword, you will make books on Master Falborn's new printing press. I am glad, my boy, that you live in the days of King Elessar's Peace."

Hey! My birthday is the 26th of January and for this year I would like a drabble about Celeborn. Genre and Age as well as slash, het or gen are all up to you.

Thanks in advance

Maka

My birthday is on the 13th of January, which this year happens to fall on a Friday. In order to stave off any bad luck which might be screeching in my direction, I would like a drabble about good fate or good fortune, and Faramir (at any stage of his career). It would be nice to see Denethor or Aragorn in there too. Thank you!

I've created a section in the Birthday Cards workshop (that's a first!) and added the two lovely drabbles Wild Iris and Tanaqui have been kind enough to write.  Go and read - they're great!

Jay

For Agape4Gondor

Well, it's not Gondor-related, exactly, but I hope you won't mind! Happy anniversary!

Dwim

Leavening

He had resolved to leave. Despite Elrond's entreaties and hers, he would not be swayed, and a mother's heart knew then that it must be so. Young men must always leave to find their feet, and whatever the blood in his veins, Aragorn was in this way as every other young man. She must step aside, let him go where a mother could not, where even brothers and fathers might walk only side by side, and face their fate alone. Might.

And so she, too, prepared, and when the dawn came that he should leave, she drew him to a halt just beyond their door, stooping to touch the damp earth.

"Mother, what—?"

"Be still," Gilraen commanded, quiet but firm, and her son ceased his fidgeting, though his brow wrinkled as she straightened and reached up—far up, he had grown this year—to draw a thumb dirtied with Imladris' soil across his forehead, smearing a dark mark there.

Then laying her hands upon his shoulders, she murmured, "A Herunúmen of far-seeing eyes, look well upon my son, whom I mark for this world for good and for ill. Bless his faring forth—well begun is well done, that he may not fall in vain. Bless the crooked paths of his return—there are no straight ways, but make straight the heart that treads them, that naught is done in vain. Bless the ways of the warrior—the sword is sharp on both sides, that bitterness be bled out of him, that he may not suffer in vain. Bless the narrow side-paths of the servant—may they narrow pride so that heart may grow greater, that he may not bend his back in vain. Look well upon him! Bless him, my son, with a spirit broad as the sea-ways, that in the living and dying, he may bless this world and lie down with honor at the journey's end."

Gilraen paused. "Old magic," she said at length. "Older than Elves even. Go now, son of Arathorn, and remember always the ways to which I have ordained you this day."

Re: For Agape4Gondor

Dwim,

that was incredibly intense and intrigiung as always. Gilraen's words sent shivers down my spine as I saw the things that she foretold...

You truly have a way with words and the Dúnedain of Arnor, m' lady!

Maka

For Altariel

Happy early birthday, Una!

Dwim

Fortune's Favorite

"That does not seem promising." Faramir passed the spyglass to Gondor's king. After a few moments' gazing about, he grunted and lowered it.

"Well, we knew they might not reach a quorum. The question is whether that failure means the Easterlings shall try for our heads when we meet." Aragorn glanced sideways, brow upraised. "Feeling lucky?"

Faramir was silent then, thinking of orc arrows and near misses; bridges collapsing beneath him; wraiths, sickness, and a father's madness; a shieldmaiden whose ring he wore... Rings... and how fortunate for him that Boromir had gone first...

Turning to Aragorn, he replied, "Always."

Re: For Agape4Gondor

Thanks, Maka! I'm glad the blessing worked as foreshadowing Aragorn's future. I figure it's general enough to capture the experience of Rangers, but with Aragorn, of course, the particulars take shape against Gilraen's words quite nicely.

Dwim

For Imhiriel

Happy belated birthday!

Dwim

Generosity

'Twas a sign, men said, a symbol, History itself—a new leaf turned for the old tale of the Trees, and of the Kings of Men who also had emerged from a deep winter. 'Twas the promise of peace, of restoration—recompense for long suffering.

But for itself? Life and death only the tree knew, and that its roots had been doomed to choke on stone one day but that one had seen the White Tree. Yavanna's creatures ask little, but give much in gratitude: it spread its branches high for the life of all dreamers by whom it lived.

For Altariel

Hmm... Dwimordene's is a hard act to follow, and I'm afraid there's only a bare mention of Denethor, but wishing you a very happy birthday anyway

Fortune

His father imparted the old way of reading the stars; the configurations that bespoke victory. He learned with will, but too often the smoke went up, and the sky was hidden.

And as he grew, he put aside omens for a sharp edge, and thought only that a starless night was the better to prepare an ambush.

This night, war is done; the sky is dark with ordinary rain; the room familiar with the lamps unlit. And he knows her, still not fully seen, full and bright and high and wanted: the sign that had always blazed within that cloud.

Happy Birthday, Altariel!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALTARIEL!!!!  Here's an oliphauntine drabble of 1100 words, which treats not so much of good fortune, but of bad luck turned to good.  I'm not wild about the title, but my fickle muse gave me no help with it..  Sorry I didn't get all the accents....

LUCK FROM THE ASHES

Steward and King walked down Rath Dínen on a chill autumn day, planning the repairs that would soon be made to the House of the Stewards. Aragorn noticed that Faramir showed no dread of the place where his father died after trying to slay his son. He knew that the tragedy still haunted the younger man, but it was a measure of Faramir's quality that he would not allow that burden to hinder him from carrying out a Steward's duty.

Suddenly, a strange noise sounded from within the broken-domed wreck of the house, a mournful, inhuman wail.

"Stay here, my lord; I will foray" Faramir said, springing forward.

"Faramir, are you sure? I can certainly go in your stead."

Faramir shot him a cool glance, very like his father's, then softened. "Thank you, my lord. But this is the house of my fathers, and this errand is mine to do. And you are our King; you cannot rush unaccompanied into a place of possible danger."

Feeling absurdly chastened, the King of Gondor and Arnor grinned while Faramir moved stealthily into the darkened entry-way, dagger in hand, pausing briefly to use an empty worker's cart as cover. Aragorn doubted that any great danger awaited. The noise was probably that of the autumn wind.

Still, several orcs had been found skulking in Osgiliath just three weeks past. It was possible that one or two had holed up here in the Hallows, where few Men ventured. So it was with relief that Aragorn heard Faramir's low call: "All clear! Come and see, my lord!"

Curiosity roused, the King trod carefully through piles of stones and broken masonry into what was left of the House of the Stewards. He descried his Steward sitting cross-legged on the ground, heedless of the dust and ashes. Faramir lifted a finger to his lips and beckoned. Aragorn crept forward and knelt beside him, then smiled when he saw his Steward's discovery: a white cat, pale blue eyes huge in the dim light, lay on her side in the rubble, nursing three small kittens, one black, one white, and one a smoky grey color.

The cat looked up at the King suspiciously and flicked her tail. Faramir made a soft crooning noise, and the cat relaxed, though she continued to watch both Men.

"Life in this place of death" Faramir observed quietly. "How brave the mother cat has been, to survive…all that has happened here. We cannot leave them. See how thin she is? She will not be able to rear them without more food."

"You do not fear Berúthiel's creatures?" Aragorn wondered. "When I last lived in the City, many believed that cats brought ill luck. Especially black cats, and white cats most of all, for such a beast led the Queen's ten cats."

Faramir chuckled. "My lord, this City has seen creatures of true Darkness at closer range since then, and many Men have fallen to them. I doubt that the folk of Minas Tirith would still hold that old tale against this poor starving cat and her kittens. I can keep them in my apartments until they are weaned, and then I will present the little white one to Eowyn when I go to Edoras next month. I shall keep the mother cat too; we will need good mousers for granaries in Ithilien. It should not be too hard to find homes for the other two…"

"I commend your design," Aragorn remarked, keeping his voice as low as Faramir's. "Most lords would not take time to attend to distressed cats."

Faramir looked startled. Then his face smoothed, became aloof. "I assure you that I will not neglect my duties."

Aragorn knew that he and his Steward were still learning to understand each other, though they had greatly liked each other from the first. He remembered that Denethor had not cared for animals, and, according to Gandalf, had often berated Faramir for his inborn generosity. "I never thought you would" Aragorn answered gently. Denethor's son remained somewhat wary of disappointing his King. "And I am well pleased that my Steward's kindness of heart reaches even to helpless animals."

He had the rare satisfaction of seeing a faint blush redden Faramir's face before the Steward thanked him. "Come, then" Aragorn urged. "I think the King should help the Steward create a new tradition in Minas Tirith. Cats shall bring good fortune; they will help rid the City and the Pelennor of vermin."

Faramir removed his cloak and swiftly snared the white cat within it before she could bolt. Bereft of their mother, the kittens mewled piteously, spurring her to writhe and hiss in fury. Faramir wrapped the frightened animal securely, and turned her so that she could see her young. He spoke softly to her, in a low, sing-song voice that seemed almost Elvish in its timbre and effect. Though she remained tense, the cat's struggles lessened and her hisses ceased. Aragorn remembered the tales of how Faramir had mastered his panicked horse during an assault by five Nazgul. Mastery of beasts would help a Ranger, Aragorn mused, but he had never seen a Steward of Gondor use that skill to gentle a stray cat.

The Steward lifted the white cat in his arms. Aragorn bundled up the three mewling kittens in his own mantle. They placed kittens and cat and loosened cloaks at the bottom of the laborer's barrow and trudged out of the Hallows, pushing the cart. The mother cat sniffed her offspring and gathered them to her amidst the warm folds of lordly raiment. The kittens' cries subsided as they suckled.

"Faramir," Aragorn asked, looking down on the three kittens. "I like the look of the grey kit. May I have him when he is weaned?"

"Certainly, my lord" Faramir replied, and smiled. I think that one resembles you, Sire."

"You mean it is the largest, strongest of the three?"

This time Faramir realized that his lord was teasing him, and smiled. "Nay, for it is the white kitten who is largest. But the grey one has a wild, untamed, look to it, like unto the Northern Dunedain and their chieftain."

Aragorn laughed. "May the White City welcome the King's Cat as it has welcomed the King! And we shall have the Steward to thank for ill luck turned to good use."

"King and Steward, my lord." Faramir insisted. "The world changes. The ghosts of sadder times can find peace in new traditions, new hope."

"Well said." Aragorn answered, knowing that Faramir was speaking not only of Queen Berúthiel's cats. "I believe that they will."

Re: January 2006 Birthdays - for Imhirel

3rd, Imhirel: One of my very favourite symbols in LotR is the new White Tree of Gondor. Therefore I'd like a drabble where it is featured, or someone contemplates it and what it means for him/her personally or on a broader scale, e.g. Aragorn, Faramir, some Gondorian OCs, or perhaps even some Elves who have memories of its ancestors in Gondor, Númenor or Aman. A drabble about the symbolism of this sapling and/or its finding would be very nice, too.

Sorry it's so late!  I hope the day was happy and this year wonderful.

Dynasty

Hurrying across the deserted courtyard, Eldarion still paused to give a moment of reverence to the White Tree.  Something rustled overhead.  Cursing the sword left behind, he drew breath to summon the guards.

"Eldarion!" Aragorn's voice hissed down.  Moments later, the king swung from an upper branch and slid down the trunk.

"Look." Resting on his father's palm, a nut shone silver by moonlight. "I saw it from the tower, gleaming in the leaves.  There is hope."

Eldarion laughed. "So there is… grandfather."

Grinning, Aragorn dropped the seed into his son's hand. "You should be the one to plant this." 

Happy Birthday!

Gwynnyd 

For Altariel

Happy Birthday!

Branwyn

Soldier's Luck

Faramir stretched the linen bowstring between his hands, searching for frayed threads; then he drew its length across the block of wax.  The waterfall's damp breath soon ruined their gear.

When his kit was made ready, he unfurled a map from its oilcloth covering.  Again he considered the tidings of the scouts, were it wisdom or folly to hazard this chance.  Then he called the chosen men.  Standing before him, they repeated their orders; he questioned each closely until he was certain they understood the plan.

After the ambush, the rangers would say, "Our Captain has indeed the soldier's luck."

Re: For Altariel

Many lovely drabbles here....

Branwyn, Soldiers' Luck is a beautiful, spare, sketch of Faramir as a great war-leader who is careful in his preparations and his men's lives.  Love the details!

And of course, Fortune's Favorite made me smile, Dwim.  Faramir's life, at least much of it, can either be looked at as a glass half empty or half full; and Faramir chooses to see the benefits, especially since he's survived and his father and brother didn't.

Re: Happy Birthday, Altariel!

This is a lovely tale, Raksha.I like Faramir's gentleness and concern for the cat - it fits with my image of him.

Jay

A late arrival for Altariel

Sorry this was delayed, Altariel -- I was a bit surprised when Boromir (rather than Aragorn or Denethor as you requested) wanted to put in an appearance.

Sibling rivalry

With an expert flick of the wrist, Faramir loosed his stone. It bobbed over the water like a heron, skimming the surface once – twice – six times before plummeting into the river.

"Lucky throw!" Boromir thumped his brother's shoulder, ungracious in defeat.

Faramir elbowed back. "The wise man does not believe in luck," he quoted sententiously.

"He who wrote that never had a horse killed under him in battle."

"Likely not, considering he was an Umbari eunuch."

Boromir winced. "That would alter one's expectation of fortune." He bent to choose another flat pebble from the strand. "Best out of seven instead?"

I commented at HA, but wanted to add how much I love that Faramir thinks so much, and then conveys the whole of it in a single word. Thank you, Dwim!

The phrase "ordinary rain" has been sliding in and out of my consciousness since I read this. It's exquisite, Gemma; thank you.

Re: Happy Birthday, Altariel!

Raksha, I've just enjoyed reading about the Steward and the King again. I didn't say in my comments at HA how much I like Faramir's sentiment here: "Life in this place of death". Thank you for my oliphauntine drabble!

Branwyn, what a quiet and yet rich drabble - that most certainly is the Captain that Mablung and Damrod speak about to Sam and Frodo. Thank you!

Re: A late arrival for Altariel

The dialogue here is terrific, Forodwaith - there are years of companionship and love behind the repartee. Thank you!

Happy birthday, Altariel, a little late! May good fortune shine on you all year! Here's a drabble and a half from Gandalfs apprentice.

Jewels

Duty kept the men in the City, inspecting posts and men at arms along the wall of the First Circle, having a word or two with the commanders and the occasional guardsman.

Then Faramir tapped the king on the shoulder. "Look," he said, pointing below to where the Pelennor began.

Two horses, grey and black, blazed like smoke across the field, now lush with a year's growth since the war's end. Two heads bent over the manes before them, braids, golden and raven, streaming like banners behind them. Skirts flew around bare feet, thighs gripped the sleek strong flanks of their mounts.

The men imagined more than heard the whoops of bliss as their wives raised their faces into the wind.

Aragorn turned, smiling, to his Steward. "My friend," he said, "we are the two luckiest men in Gondor."

From the gleam in Faramir's eye, he too was anticipating the coming night.

Gandalfs apprentice - thank you! Not just the friendship between Faramir and Aragorn but also between Eowyn and Arwen. Who must be two of the luckiest women in Gondor!

Not just the friendship between Faramir and Aragorn but also between Eowyn and Arwen. Who must be two of the luckiest women in Gondor!

Ditto on that!!

Glad you liked it.

G.A.

Happy late birthday, Jay! A little story featuring Elladan, Elrohir, Elrond, Glorfindel and an 11-year-old boy.

Gandalfs apprentice

Horse Thief

Glorfindel stood with his arms crossed, one toe tapping impatiently, waiting for the family argument to settle down.

"You offended his sense of justice," Elrohir said to his brother.

"Perhaps I did," snorted Elladan. "But isn't this a rather extreme response?"

Elrond raised his eyebrows ever so slightly. "I can remember…," he began.

Elladan held up his palm. "Peace, father. Don't remind me yet again of the incident with the tree." He paced the room, further irritated by sorry memories of a whole week spent pouting at the top of an oak. How many yéni would have to pass before his father would stop bringing it up? "But what are we to do?"

"The sentries will stop him at the pass, as you well know," Elrond said. "No one leaves the Valley if I do not allow it, no more than they enter. He is perfectly safe."

Glorfindel let out a sigh of exasperation.

"Are you going to claim that your horse is in danger?" Elrond said, with more than a hint of irony.

"No, of course not," Glorfindel said. "But I can't allow this to go by without some consequence."

"Indeed not," Elrond said. "Horse thievery is not the future occupation that I wish for my foster son, even if he shows good judgment in taking the best one."

"Stubborn boy," muttered Elladan. "Stiff-necked Dúnadan."

"That, too," said Elrond. He waited, watching his elder son patiently.

"All right, I owe him an apology," said Elladan at last. "I'll go myself to fetch him back."

"Good idea," said Elrond. "And then you are going to explain it to Gilraen."

Elladan groaned. That, indeed, was going to be by far the most unpleasant part.

When he heard the sentry's low whistle, Elladan brought his mount to a stop. Through the trees he could see Asfaloth contentedly grazing on the lush grass in a small clearing. He looked up. The sentry's grinning face peeped out of the leaves. He pointed up. Elladan could just see the tips of Estel's shoes sticking out over a branch. He sighed.

"Estel," he called.

"What do you want?" the boy said in a rather rude tone.

"I want to apologize."

There was a silence. Then, with a loud rustling of leaves, the boy began climbing down and soon dropped to the ground from a large branch. He stood there, silent, as full of wrath as an eleven-year-old can be.

Elladan dismounted, and, holding the reins, faced his opponent. Grey thunder looked out at him from under a scowling frown. The fury in those eyes would stop an army of Orcs, he thought. And soon enough he will be facing one. Estel was even now in the middle of a growth spurt that had added a good inch to his height and left his hands and feet much too large for the rest of him.

Elladan bowed. "My lord," he said, "I seek your pardon. I have been most intolerably unfair. I should not make promises I cannot keep."

"No. You should not," the boy agreed. There was no quarter in those eyes.

"I underestimated you," he continued. "I did not think you could meet my challenge. Indeed, your bowmanship has improved greatly, and you hit the target three times beyond my dare. But I had made you a promise beyond my power."

"Yes. You did," came the inexorable reply.

"It is by my father's order that you must stay in the Valley, and I cannot undo that. Despite my false promise, I cannot take you with me to hunt Orcs—not yet. It is my duty to obey my father's order even as it is yours. And it was grossly unfair of me to twit you about that party of Dwarves that was visiting last winter."

Insatiable curiosity began to take over the wrath in the boy's eyes. "Why couldn't I meet them," he asked, almost sadly.

"It is my father's order," Elladan repeated, "and thus for neither of us to question."

Estel opened his mouth to protest, but then thought better of it. His look of resignation combined with his hunger for experience touched Elladan's heart. "Come now," he said gently. "Do you forgive me?"

"Yes, Elladan. I forgive you."

"All right then. Let's go home."

As they cantered back, side by side on the smooth trail past the first steep climb down into the Valley, Elladan asked, "But Estel, why Asfaloth?"

"Well, I thought that riding him was the only way I might be able to get out of the Valley. Don't think I don't know how strong father's protection is."

"But it didn't work."

"No," answered the boy. "It looked really good all the way up, but then he just stopped cold as soon as I got to the top. He wouldn't move an inch."

"He's a very intelligent horse," said Elladan.

"Yes," said Estel. "I really love riding him. And I packed up my saddlebags with a lot of good food and gear for hunting. I was all ready."

Elladan decided not to comment on this.

"But now I suppose Glorfindel will skin me alive."

"Actually," Elladan said, "he's going to make you help muck out the stables for a month."

"Really?"

"Really."

"But I won't mind that. I love being with the horses."

"Shush. Don't tell him."

Then Estel turned to him with a mischievous grin. "And what is your punishment?"

"Besides having to apologize to the most stubborn boy in Middle-earth?"

The grin widened. "Yes, besides that."

Elladan sighed. "I have to explain it to your mother."

The boy burst out laughing, and, kicking Asfaloth into a run, he laughed all the way back to the House, his tangled hair streaming in the wind.

Smiling, Elladan shook his head. The next few years were going to be very interesting.

Re: January 2006 Birthdays - for Gandalf's Apprentice

Thank you for this sweet story.  There are so many hinted-at moments I would love to see - the contest itself (what *was* Elladan thinking of?)  and Elladan spending a whole week sulking when he was young.

Best of all, I like Estel's punishment that is really no punishment at all - because I've used exactly the same scenario, with a young Elrohir being 'sentenced' to work with the horses he loves.

Poor Glorfindel.  He'd better get used to his horse being stolen.

Re: For Imhiriel

The White Tree

I often wondered how it was that Gandalf seemed to know in advance that a seedling could be found on Mount Mindolluin - this is a very nice explanation for it. Thank you very much!

Imhiriel

King Elessar's Peace

Going outward from the seedling to what it stands for, a symbol of hope and renewal and prosperity in the New Age. Thanks for this nice gift!

Imhiriel

Generosity

I love it that you gave the White Tree a personality. The way you describe its life doesn't sound too happy, but it aptly symbolises "generosity" in that it gives despite it being a sacrifice for itself. Thank you very much for this thought-provoking drabble!

Imhiriel

Re: January 2006 Birthdays - for Imhirel

Dynasty

Lovely episode. Aragorn becoming a grandfather and still fit enought to go climbing into trees. And the nut symbolising the continuity of the House of Telcontar. I like it very much, thank you!

Imhiriel

Here's a double drabble on that incomparable couple.  Happy birthday, Makamu, from Oshun

Finally:  Into the West from the Grey Havens

"Very tall they were, and the Lady no less tall than the Lord; and they were grave and beautiful. They were clad wholly in white; and the hair of the Lady was of deep gold, and the hair of the Lord Celeborn was of silver long and bright; but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depths of their eyes; for these were keen as lances in the starlight, and yet profound, the wells of deep memory." – Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter VII – "The Mirror of Galadriel"

Choices were made so long ago. But I still remember all. She captivated me and tortured me with her beauty and strength from moment that I saw her. Yet, I knew that her longing for me was equal to, if not greater than, mine for her. I was her refuge, her protector; some might even say her conscience. To escape the darkness within, she sought my love and I gave it to her unstinting. I sought her glorious light and it exploded, surrounding me, nearly eclipsing me. The balance we had was exquisite. I will restore it. I must.

Re: January 2006 - Agape's anniversary at HASA

I've learned so much and have made so many friends... good friends and true!  What a blessing this has been for me!

So perhaps someone would like to write a little something about a blessing that one of the men of Gondor received???

Sure.  I too feel very blessed that I found HASA and all the friends and support it is has given me.

Long was the Making

His reaction was all she had hoped for.  Aragorn's eyes caught hers but slid inexorably to the banner showing the king's arms that took up most of the wall in the small chamber.  It stood as tall as he, the light fabric swaying slightly from the movement of their passage across the room.  He reached out one tentative hand and touched an adamantine gem on the stars surrounding the White Tree.  Even in the golden candlelight, it sparked blue fire.  

She had fed the worms, unwound the cocoons, spun the thread, dyed the color, woven the cloth, broidered it with gems, and carved the staff. Seeing the delighted wonder on his face made the memory of the labour light.

"You made this for me?" he marveled.

Arwen laid her hand over his. "Until this moment no eyes nor hands but mine have touched it.  I put strands of my hair into the weave; see where the weft seems thicker?" She took the edge and folded it over. "And the back mirrors the front, so all will know the rightful king rides under it.  It is time, Elessar." She called him by the name that had been foretold for him.

Delight suffused his face, but he shook his head.  "I cannot take this."

"It is yours." Arwen laughed.  "I have already spoken to Sam.  There is room on the pony for the staff."

Aragorn's eyes softened, but he shook his head again.  "My path may not lead directly to the White City, and much unforeseen may happen in the wild.  I would not have it arrive tattered and ragged, nor see it put to base use."  His hand reverently stroked the crown that surmounted the tree.  "Bring it to me in triumph, beloved, when the quest is accomplished."

Arwen lowered her eyes to hide her disappointment.  "I wove what strength I could for you in the making, but I will content myself with this." She took his hands, and brought the left to her lips.  Pressing a kiss on his fingers, she said, "May Manwë give you strength to face your trials." She kissed his right hand.  "Tulkas guide your sword to vanquish those who oppose you." She took his face between her hands. "And Yavanna grant us a life together in peace."  She gently kissed his lips.

After a few moments, the kiss turned more insistent, and his arms slid around her shoulders. She felt both a certainty and a promise in his embrace.

And Aragorn said to Halbarad: 'What is that that you bear, kinsman?' For he saw that instead of a spear he bore a tall staff, as it were a standard, but it was close-furled in a black cloth bound about with many thongs.
     'It is a gift that I bring you from the Lady of Rivendell,' answered Halbarad. 'She wrought it in secret, and long was the making. But she also sends word to you: _The days now are short. Either our hope cometh, or all hopes end. Therefore I send thee what I have made for thee. Fare well, Elfstone!_'
     And Aragorn said: 'Now I know what you bear. Bear it still for me a while!' And he turned and looked away to the North under the great stars, and then he fell silent and spoke no more while the night's journey lasted.
   The Passing of the Grey Company, Return of the King

Happy anniversary! 

Gwynnyd 

Re: January 2006 Birthdays -for Jay

7th, Jay of Lasgalen: I like elves (especially Elladan, Elrohir, Legolas and Thranduil), and I like fluff, angst or slash. Just no evil!Thranduil please. Thank you!

Fluff - check. Legolas - check. Thranduil, not evil - check.

Sorry it's late, but this is a drabble and a half, so you get 50 extra words to compensate. Hope your birthday was a good one!

Favorable Balance of Trade

Contemplating the caves in his future, Legolas stared morosely into his empty wine glass, unable to decide which prospect dismayed him more, the expedition to Gimli's Glittering Caves or displeasing Thranduil by recruiting for Ithilien in his father's halls.

A servitor refilled his glass and placed the new bottle of wine on the table. Legolas had no pretensions to being a connoisseur, but in Minas Tirith, the dark ruby red and crimson color, so like the Dorwinion, usually portended a heavy, resinous taste. He took a careless gulp.

It was a very good wine. He took another, careful sip and rolled the full-bodied liquid around his palate. The herby nose of black cherries and earth, redolent of sunny hillsides and long summer days, overwhelmed him with a complex array of flavors, and lingered to a long, smooth finish. If Gondor had this, perhaps there was something Ithilien could offer Thranduil.

Gwynnyd

Re: January 2006 Birthdays -for Jay

Gwynnyd, thank you!

I like morose Legolas - it seems such a change for his usually cheerful character.  It's no wonder he's gloomy, though - visiting caves, and poaching some of the elves his father needs to help rebuild Mirkwood.

The wine sounds wonderful - and perhaps a few cases will go a long way towards mollifying Thranduil.  It certainly seems to have cheered Legolas up 

I love this - thank you.

Jay

Re: January 2006 Birthdays - for Altariel

13th, Altarirel: My birthday is on the 13th of January, which this year happens to fall on a Friday. In order to stave off any bad luck which might be screeching in my direction, I would like a drabble about good fate or good fortune, and Faramir (at any stage of his career). It would be nice to see Denethor or Aragorn in there too. Thank you

Before anyone comes after my typing fingers with a sledgehammer, let me say right up front that this drabble is set in a very improbable Alternate Universe. It does NOT happen this way, honest! Well, except for Faramir's part, that's real. I just had the idea and started chortling.  I needed a viewpoint character and it was too late in the timeline for Denethor, and Aragorn wouldn't work for, IMO, obvious reasons, and from Faramir's POV it just seemed vain and icky, and there wasn't anyone else without a lot of Númenorean heritage (Imrahil's sons would be the right age, but) and Éomer seemed so handy, er, um, so... To all the Éomer fans, I'm sorry. (and you Faramir fanatics, stop giggling! It's AU, I tell you, AU!)

Curse That Númenorean Heritage

Watching Faramir romping with his grandchildren brought a surge of what felt unpleasantly like envy. Which is ridiculous, Éomer chided himself. Rohan was as prosperous as Gondor, and he was King not merely Prince. Éowyn was still fair, but he preferred Lothiriel, whom no man had ever mistaken for a stripling. Even his grandsons were more numerous!

The envious niggle could not be stilled. Some men had all the luck. The wind blew Faramir's thick, unbound hair into his eyes. Éomer reached past his meager plaits to settle the straw hat more firmly on his head, for bald scalps burn.

I hope your birthday brought mostly good things (not quite sure if this counts as one of them or not... )

Gwynnyd (ducking for cover)

Happy birthday, Altarirel....

'What is that horrid noise,' she thought as she pulled herself quickly from their bed. He had left only moments before, the sheet was still warm.

"Nothing to afright thee," he bellowed from the hall. "Dratted bees," he murmured.

As she opened the door, he noted and quickly shoved it closed.

"What is going on?" she gasped as she held her nose, a casualty of the attacking door.

"Breakfast. Alas, I spilt it. The window is open."

"And you had honey for my bread?" she asked, her voice sympathetic and warm.

"'Tis good fortune that it is not bear season!"

Agape

My birthday is on the 31st. I'd love a drabble exploring either:

(b) doomed lovers (such as Eol and Aredhel or Aldarion and Erendis);
(c) or, of course, anything dealing with Faramir and Eowyn.

Thanks!

Makamu: Hey! My birthday is the 26th of January and for this year I would like a drabble about Celeborn. Genre and Age as well as slash, het or gen are all up to you. Thanks in advance.

I so do not do Celeborn. I think this is like my life-time's allotment of him! But I hope you enjoy it. Happy birthday, Makamu! The Gift-giving of Celeborn.

You're welcome, Imhiriel! Everything I like about trees comes from "The Giving Tree" so it was sort of natural to go in that direction.

Re: January 2006 Birthdays - for Makanu

26th, Makanu: Hey! My birthday is the 26th of January and for this year I would like a drabble about Celeborn.

The late Gwynnyd manages to control her unruly muse at last.  Hope your birthday was a good one!

More Than Memory

"…he released the captive leaf, letting it enjoy a second, unlooked-for life before it wafted down, down, to settle lower… he suddenly longed for the leaf to live, fly back to spring and become green again.  He longed for all the woods to be green and wind to sigh with the mysterious voices of his first days."
    Fortress of Eagles, CJ Cherryh

The mallorns no longer made an unbroken roof of gold; naked fingers of silver crisscrossed patches of open sky.  Still, the leaves drifted down, shrouding the mound of Cerin Amroth in splendour.  

In the way of elven flesh, nothing but a drift of rusty-black wool poking through the pile of bright golden leaves marked the place where Arwen lay; had lain; was no more.

Celeborn slumped against a mallorn trunk; both the morning and the evening were gone from his world.  Arwen had died alone, but Nienna grant she had been not afraid.  Had Aragorn waited for her?  Foolish thought. Celeborn was bound to Arda, but was the final outcome, in that unfathomable place, already assured and they were together still?  If only she had had the courage to leave with him.

His brow rose at the hypocrisy of the thought, and his mouth twisted ruefully.  Courage indeed, for his granddaughter to trust in Eru.  He knew where his love dwelt, and still he feared.  Was it courage to stay and share the fate of Middle-earth in this Age of Men, or courage to face the uttermost West at last?

He would find Galadriel.

~~~

Gwynnyd 

Re: January 2006 Birthdays - Marastar

31st, Marastar, I'd love a drabble exploring either:

Happy Birthday!  

Aftershocks

The great wave that washed half way up the cliff smashed the boats at anchor, ruined the dockside tithe-barns and storehouses, and washed the piers out to sea, but the stone fortress on the promontory escaped unscathed. The Lord of Cobas begged labor and drove his subjects to rebuild, for the Lord loved his land and would protect his people from the wrath of a supply-shorted King of Númenor.

The sea stayed empty for months. Then a ship came from the North.

Elendil stepped onto the raw wooden dock. "Cousin, Númenor has fallen. Will you stand with me against darkness?"

The Lord of Dol Amroth had this title (Prince). It was given to his ancestors by Elendil, with whom they had kinship. They were a family of the Faithful who had sailed from Númenor before the Downfall and had settled in the land of Belfalas, between the mouths of Ringló and Gilrain, with a stronghold upon the high promontory
    Unfinished Tales

I'm probably taking liberties to call this ancestor "Lord of Cobas," but it seemed a reasonable extrapolation from the location.

~~~

Gwynnyd

Re: January 2006 Birthdays - Marastar

Gwynnyd, I apologize for not seeing this much earlier and replying to it ... but wow! I love it. I see so few Dol Amroth fics, when the place is so full of possibilities. I was hoping I'd get something on the Fall as well. So thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! It's wonderful.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum