Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: December 2005 Birthdays

December 2005 Birthdays

Welcome to all. Hard to believe it's the last month of the year.

If you have a December birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the workshop, put your story in it, and enter the December challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

RiverOtter
December 15, Larien-Shadow: Hi, my birthday is December 15th, and I will be turning 19. I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a Faramir/Éowyn drabble, anything really. Thanks!

December 30, Ainu Laire: I'm turning sweet 16 on the 30th... and I like Aragorn. Alone, with Halbarad, Frodo, Gandalf, any random 'baddie', Faramir, Denethor, Arwen, OC... anyone. I just like Aragorn. No slash, please :-)

Re: December 2005 Birthdays

Hi, my brithday is December 15th, and I will be turning 19. I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a Faramir/Éowyn drabble, anything really. Thanks!

~Jenny/Lariren

I'm surprised no one else has turned up... we have a lot of December b-days, if I remember correctly.

Anyways, im turning sweet 16 on the 30th... and I like Aragorn. Alone, with Halbarad, Frodo, Gandalf, any random 'baddie', Faramir, Denethor, Arwen, OC... anyone. I just like Aragorn. No slash, please :-)

Hi, my brithday is December 15th, and I will be turning 19. I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a Faramir/Éowyn drabble, anything really. Thanks! ~Jenny/Lariren

Jenny, here it is - 900 words of Faramir/Eowyn.  Have a great Birthday!

RAKSHA

Early Thaw

As the months of our betrothal passed, it became clearer to me that my lady was even less certain in the ways of love than I was. I had never felt much urge to join in love with maids, or older women, since such trysts never offered a coupling of hearts as well as bodies. I had only ventured once, in youth and heat and loneliness, to a fair woman's bed.

Eowyn seemed to know little of bodily love. Her youth had been darkened by the sorrows of war, and by the lust of a slinking traitor. The man they called Wormtongue had shadowed her steps, stalking her through the very halls of Meduseld. She had apparently survived that cruel siege by locking the natural inclinations of youth away, behind a wall of ice, allowing only her love for what remained of her family to escape.

I did not want our marriage bed to hold cruel surprises for Eowyn. I honored her, and would not take her maidenhood until she was ready and willing to yield to me. But I deemed that she would at least be familiar with the touch of my skin to hers before we wed. For weeks, in Minas Tirith, and in Edoras, after her uncle had been buried and her brother crowned, I walked with her, guards and attendants discretely following. I stroked her beautiful, long-fingered hands with mine, worshipped the proud line of her jaw and cheek with my fingers. Slowly, she grew easy enough to sit close against me by the fire, my arm around her and her head often leaning against my shoulder.

Now, Eowyn had come to celebrate Mettarë in Gondor. The people of Minas Tirith had joyously greeted her with songs; and the King and Queen had held a great feast in her honor: a fitting welcome for the slayer of the Witch-King, and almost enough accolade for the lady who owned my heart. And yestereve, Eowyn and I had set the torch to the traditional bonfire, at Aragorn's request, to the loud applause of the throng assembled in the Citadel.

This day, I took my lady from the City to the land where she would reign as Princess, suitably flanked by my retinue and hers. We rode to the forested slopes of Emyn Arnen. There, atop the highest hill, our new home was rising around the ancient foundations of my family's ancestral seat. I showed Eowyn where the gardens and outbuildings would soon take form.

I did not mean to do more than perhaps hold her hand, or perhaps, greatly daring, blow lightly in her ear after kissing her cheek. She had seemed to enjoy those tender touches; or at least had smiled when I had tried them on other occasions. Eowyn looked so very fair, standing proud as a Queen of Numenor, wrapped in the blue cloak with silver and gold brocade that I had given her before we set out this morn. The cool winter breeze fanned her pale gold hair about her face, which was white as pearl except for her ruby-red lips.

We were speaking of the stables, and the many horses they would hold. "Which shall come first, my lady" I asked, half in jest; "the first foal of the Ithilien stables, or our firstborn child?"

"Why, that shall surely depend on the stallions, my lord." She said smoothly; "For I know that the mares are willing." Seeing the amusement on my face, Eowyn looked suddenly nervous, and I saw her began to wall up her discomfiture, as she was wont to do, behind a shield of proud indifference. Pleased by her words, and the quick and ready wit behind them, I leaned closer to her, meaning only to reassure her…

Then, unbidden, my mouth found hers, and fastened on those tempting red lips. Eowyn gasped briefly, startled; and as her lips opened, I slipped my tongue between them. She trembled slightly, but moved forward, lifting her head closer to mine. Absurdly pleased, I bent my head and cupped her chin in my hand. Her tongue flicked out, uncertain, to touch mine. A shiver coursed down my body, and, like lightning, ran also through Eowyn's slender frame. It felt good. Emboldened, I sucked ever so lightly on her lips, and our tongues met again, tangling in sweet union. We had to break, though, to breathe. I saw then, over Eowyn's shoulder, that her attendants were still occupied on the far side of the hill.

Eowyn herself looked somewhat shocked, her breast rising and falling rapidly with quickened breaths. Her eyes were downcast. Had I frightened her? Mayhap I should have waited. Maidens are strange, capricious, delicate creatures. I kissed her hand chastely, and asked "Is all well?"

As she raised bright grey eyes to me, Eowyn's face suddenly turned a most amazing shade of pink, like the dawn sky lit by the first rays of the rising sun. I cannot recall ever seeing a fairer sight in all my life. I wanted to take her in my arms and kiss her senseless. With some difficulty I controlled myself, fearing to alarm her further.

But she favored me with the most glorious smile; my fair Lady, white no longer, but pink and gold as the flowers of spring, and said quietly: "Do it again."

Delight, like love, is wondrous when it comes as a surprise.

Happy birthday, Ainu Laire! Happy sweet sixteen! Here's a poignant moment between Aragorn and Elrond. (I don't see a birthday story set up for you, so I'm posting my drabble here)

from Gandalfs apprentice

A Son's Farewell

Turning to face him, his foster father smiled warmly. "You are leaving, my son."

Aragorn nodded. He gripped Elrond in a tight embrace. "Atarinya*, for your care of me, your love, I thank you." He stood back, his hands gripping Elrond's arms. "It may be that I will not return."

"I pray that you will achieve all that I have hoped for you," said Elrond.

Aragorn bowed his head. "If I do not, do not let her grieve. Take her across the Sea." Then with one last clasp of Elrond's hands, he went to join the rest of the Fellowship.

*atarinya: Quenya, "my father"

Happy birthday sweet sixteen. Here is a drabble for you:

The Last Test

Aragorn looked down and fumbled nervously with the device in his hands.

"I cannot do this, Hal. I am afraid."

"Everyone here knows your courage. This is your last test, and I know that you will not fail. You want your father's star, do you not?"

Aragorn sighed and reluctantly handed the wooden carving over to his cousin. Halbarad set fire to it and handed it back to him.

"Now do it, leave your last link to childhood behind."

Aragorn nodded and turned his back to Halbarad. Suddenly a violent coughing ensued.

Halbarad patted him on the back.

"O, what did I tell you about inhaling smoke?"

Vil~

Triple drabble for Ainu Laire. Happy early birthday!

Dwim

P.S. Laire, do you have a story entered into the Birthday Cards workshop, so we can post drabbles there?

Night Watch

"Here now! What're you about?" Barliman Butterbur demanded, marching up the hall. A little further on, a lean shadow paused, then turned toward him. Strider wore no hood, yet Barliman was little mollified. After the Ranger's scornful words about fat innkeepers earlier in Mr. Underhill's parlour, it seemed a slap in the face—as if Strider felt no need to hide himself.

We'll just see about that, Barliman thought, undaunted by the Ranger's looming over him. Aloud he said, "There's no lack of watchful eyes tonight. You'd best have naught to do that can't be done in plain sight of all."

Strider sighed. "I am no spy, Barly—" he began.

"Maybe not, but you know quite a bit, it seems, about—about them down in that dark country," the innkeeper replied, lowering his voice out of fearful habit. And he prodded the other with a thick finger as he declared, "I'll have no bad business under my roof, no troubling guests in my house. Understand me?"

It was Strider's turn to raise a brow, but after a moment, he nodded slowly, and his grey eyes, when they fixed on Barliman's face, had a queer light to them.

"Good. So," the innkeeper continued, a little uncertainly in the face of that odd look, "if you're not a spy, then show yourself friendly and get you back to those hobbits. You leave the doors to us."

"Fair enough," Strider replied. Then, to Barliman's surprise, he stepped back and made him a respectful bow. "My thanks, Barliman." With that, he was away. Barliman watched him until he saw the parlour door close quietly behind the Ranger, then grunted.

"Don't know about him. Just don't know," he muttered to himself.

But in the end, he didn't post Bob to the parlour door, either.

Aragorn nodded and turned his back to Halbarad. Suddenly a violent coughing ensued.

Halbarad patted him on the back.

"O, what did I tell you about inhaling smoke?"

*snork!* Very cute, Vilwarin! Ah, peer pressure... ;-)

Dwim

Unfortunately I do not know how to add a little story... do you add it into playlists or something?

And thanks for all of these lovely stories! I enjoyed each and every one of them ^^

<i>Unfortunately I do not know how to add a little story... do you add it into playlists or something?</i>

A Question!  thousands of years I have waited for a question... oh, wait, wrong fandom..

Anyway, to make a story where people can put the drabbles they wrote for you, go to "My Stuff" and create a new story the way you always do.  Title it something like "Ainu Laire's 2005 Birthday Presents".  Put your request in the 'story summary'.

Then go to the "Birthday Cards Workshop" and click on"add story to shop".  A list of all your stories will come up. Select the "Birthday Presents" one you just created from the list.  When it asks you if you want to add the original or a clone, select 'original'.   Click 'add'. That's it!

To put a drabble in this story for Laire, select the story in the workshop, and click "add chapter html" or "add chapter text", depending on how you like to work. (In "Add chapter text"  you hand type the html tags, in "Add chapter html" the system adds them for you.)  Paste your present into the blank chapter, put the title and your mane in the "chapter title' area, and click add.  It works just like adding a chapter to any story.

If you have any questions, or have any problems, please contact me and I'll be happy to help.

Gwynnyd

This is nice.  I had visions of poor Aragorn having to burn childhood toys to signify his adulthood and acceptance into the rangers!

December 30, Ainu Laire: I'm turning sweet 16 on the 30th... and I like Aragorn. Alone, with Halbarad, Frodo, Gandalf, any random 'baddie', Faramir, Denethor, Arwen, OC... anyone. I just like Aragorn.

I like Aragorn, too!  I was writing other things in December, so I hope it's not too late to send you this.

Arranged Marriage

The crusting of silver embroidery was rough under his fingers - Aragorn felt overdressed in the finery - but he obediently stood still while Galadriel adjusted the folds of the robe and placed a gem-hung filet on his forehead.  His body was rested enough, but he was heartsick, longing for things he knew he could not have: a kingdom to rule, his love by his side, sons.

"I am grateful for your care, Lady."

Galadriel's eyes caught his with an ineffable expression.  "These woods hold many virtues. Walk on the hill of Cerin Amroth.  There is beauty there to ease your heart."

~~~

Gwynnyd 

Re: December 2005 Birthdays - Larien-Shadow

December 15, Larien-Shadow: Hi, my birthday is December 15th, and I will be turning 19. I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a Faramir/Éowyn drabble, anything really. Thanks!

Hi! It's late - as usual for me! - but it's long. Hope your birthday was very happy.

Beginnings

Gingerly picking up the glass with her one, good hand, Éowyn eyed the murky orange-brown mixture with dismay, and set it down untasted. Perhaps her arm did not ache quite that badly. She went and leaned on the window frame. The rooftops spread below her were not inspiring and the sky roiled with storm clouds billowing up from the south. The damp wind blowing in smelled of rain and ash, and chilled her. She shivered and a lance of pain shot along her broken arm.

She turned from the window when she heard the door open. One of the young healers came into the room and frowned at the full medicine glass.

"You have not drunk your willow bark, my lady. If I thought that meant your arm did not pain you, I would be glad, but I see it is otherwise."

Éowyn guiltily dropped her hand from where it had been cradling the splint, trying to infuse warmth to the break. "We brew willow bark differently in Rohan."

"That may be, Lady Éowyn, but this is an ancient formula and has proven very effective." His tolerant smile annoyed her.

Effective for pain, but better as an emetic. She liked licorice, ginger, garlic and tumeric, but not together! "Leave it. If needful, I will drink it later," she said in the tone of voice she used to exact obedience from errant servants.

He bowed himself out of the room, and she found herself once again alone and chilled. Rain sheeted down outside her window, obscuring what little view she had. She awkwardly tried to fasten a shawl around her shoulders. There would be no walks in the gardens today, neither for her nor the Steward. He was no doubt as cold as she was, and, if he had drunk that foul brew, probably nauseous as well.

The door opened again, and she turned an impatient eye on the maid who stood there.

"Sorry to disturb. I was told to see if you needed anything." The maid effaced herself and started to back out of the room.

Anything? "Wait. I do want something."

Éowyn cradled the warm cup in her hand and breathed in the fresh, aromatic steam. It was still almost too hot to drink, and she took cautious sips. The familiar taste of chamomile, mint, willow bark and honey soothed more than her throat, and she felt tears prick behind her eyes. She held out the cup for refilling.

As the maid popped the cozy back over the pot, Éowyn caught sight of the glass of Gondorian medicine. Giving in to a sudden impulse, she said, "Take the rest of the pot to the Steward."

"The Steward?" The maid's eyes were round with fear.

Surely she could not have misunderstood the title of the man in the gardens. "To … Faramir. Is he not also a patient here?"

"Faramir?" The maid breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh yes, my lady. I can take the pot to Lord Faramir."

"With Rohan's compliments."

~~~

Lest you think I made up the medicine mixture, I direct you to Mother Earth News (http://www.motherearthnews.com/additional/print.php?id=2093) where you will find a recipe for willow bark tea from James A. Duke, Ph.D. "Take three parts dried willow bark, two parts dried licorice root and one part minced garlic. Pour boiling water over the mixture and steep for about 15 minutes. If you don't like the taste, add lemon and/or honey, plus ginger and turmeric (sic) to taste."

Éowyn 's recipe is my friend Patti's favorite.

~~~

Gwynnyd

Thank you!  I loved it!  And it was nice getting it still.

Does the pain tea work?  Cause I really do have an injury in my hand...yes, its my left hand.  Might want to try it. 

Thanks so much again! 

Does the pain tea work?  Cause I really do have an injury in my hand...yes, its my left hand.  Might want to try it.

Yes. It does, and has been used for pain relief for thousands of years.

White willow bark contains: Phenolic glycosides; salicin, picein and triandrin, with esters of salicylic acid and salicyl alcohol, acetylated salicin, salicortin and salireposide. Miscellaneous; tannins, catechin, p-coumaric acid and flavonoids. http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/usa/healthinformation/encyclopedias/WillowBark.asp

Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid, which is a slightly different form of the drug. 

If you do make the one with garlic and licorice, please tell me if it tastes as awful as it sounds.

And you're welcome!  I know Éowyn says she's a shieldmaiden and her 'hand is ungentle' but I think she must have at least supervised brewing up this stuff by the gallon to treat the army's aches and pains.

Glad you enjoyed it. 

Gwynnyd 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum