Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: September 2005 Birthdays - 2

September 2005 Birthdays - 2

Hello, boys and girls!

If you have a September birthday, now would be the time to post your request!

Birthday kids, please-pretty-please-with-a-cherry-on-top visit the workshop, put your story in it, and enter the September challenge. Please?

And for your convinience, here's the directions to the whole deal.

Allie

September 2 - Jenni: I love the Silmarillion best, especially the Feanorians, but I also love LOTR and Legolas is my favourite character. The Hobbit is also wonderful, and my favourite character in that is Bilbo.

I like romantic, angsty, and sexy stories. I like Fëanor, Maedhros, Maglor, Melian, Estë, Irmo, Galadriel, Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund, and Voronwë and would love any drabbles that anyone can think up about them. Oh, and naughty is more than okay, het or slash ;)

September 16 - Dawn Felagund: Those who know me know that I don't dally much in LotR and prefer the Silmarillion and the First Age and that I love the House of Finwe, particularly those of the Feanorian variety.

Therefore, my request is for drabbles (or whatever) pertaining to Feanor's family. Only I don't want horrible angst and blood and gore and kinslaying--it's my birthday, and I want to think happy thoughts! Instead, I would like ordinary or joyful moments involving the Feanorians. You may involve any other characters that you can weasel into the tale--First Age or not--but I ask for a Feanorian at the center, and in a good mood for a change.

September 17 - Arandil: (1) Feanor. Anything about Feanor as long he is not protrayed as evil!Feanor. Angsty Feanor is fine. Fluffy Feanor, Adult-Situations Feanor, Forge-smut - whatever. Also, his two eldest sons would be cool. (Maedhros and Maglor).
(2) Legolas and Thranduil - happy father/sonness. Or either one by themselves.
(3) Elladan and/or Elrohir - either by themselves or together. No Arwen. She's worse than T.B. (aka Galadriel).
(4) An evil drabble - from an orc's perspective, or the MoS, or Sauron , or the ickle dark lord himself, Morgoth - anyone from the "other" side... Extra points if Morgoth abuses Sauron somehow. Extra EXTRA points if it somehow involves the shaving of Galadriel's head.
(5) And if anyone wants to write me a drabble where Glorfindel kicks the crap out of Arwen for stealing his horse, more power to you.

Provisions:
- no slash.

September 21 - Winterhawk: As a child of Mabon, (the Autumnal Equinox) I would dearly love a tale of the Elves of Greenwood at this time of year and if you can work in *Good* Thranduil and Legolas it would be wonderful. Mithrandir is also one of my favourite characters from LoTR. I am fairly easy to please--anything with elves from any Age would be greatly appreciated. A little humour, a little lust...but no slash.

September 29 - Tanaqui: My birthday is September 29th. Anyone with even a passing acquaintance with me knows that my favourite Middle-earth culture is Gondor. If more proof of my obsession were needed, I've recently completed an overview of the History of Gondor, as well as a biography of the Gondorians in the HASA Resources section.

Having SSP'd my efforts in Resources (go on, check out all the hard work of the Resources geeks! You know you want to....) and provided you with such rich source materal , I would like to request birthday drabbles about any moment in Gondorian history. Perhaps you can tell me what it was like for Isidur and Anárion to found this new kingdom; or what Húrin of Emyn Arnen, the steward at the time, felt when King Telemnar and his children -- and the White Tree -- died during the Great Plague; or what the ordinary people of Gondor felt when the crown passed to Eärnil after Ondoher and his sons and nephew died in battle. If Gondor isn't your cup of tea, I'd be delighted by drabbles involving interactions between your favourite culture and Gondorians. No slash, please, and I prefer book!canon to movie!canon.

September 30 - Gandalf's apprentice: Anything involving Aragorn or Gandalf the Grey finding out something about the other. It could be a conversation or event between them, or one of them interacting with another character (Aragorn hearing a story about Gandalf from Bilbo, for example). Funny, sad, whatever. Sex fine too, although I don't personally see their relationship as slash. It must be Gandalf the Grey, but it can be memories of before the war if you want to do a Fourth Age drabble.

For Arandil, 17 September

Arandil asked for (5) And if anyone wants to write me a drabble where Glorfindel kicks the crap out of Arwen for stealing his horse, more power to you.

Book!verse Arwen is a great character, whom I’ve come to appreciate more and more as I read between the lines of what Tolkien told us, and read some of the excellent fanfic about Aragorn and Arwen that’s out there. Movie!verse Arwen, on the other hand, is an abomination. So thank you, Arandil, for giving me the chance to be snarky about her. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Hard Tack

Arwen wrinkled her nose as Glorfindel dumped mud-spattered leather and sweat-soaked cloth amongst the buttoned velvet cushions scattered across her boudoir. Even the riot of lily, violet and rose scents that wafted from powders, paints and creams could not drown the stink of horse.

”What is this?” she demanded.

“If you ‘borrow’ a mount without asking, at least return it in the same condition.” Glorfindel matched her tone. “I expect to find this gleaming next time I tack up.” He added something else to the pile. “And clean your father’s sword and sharpen it before he notices it was gone.”

Happy Birthday, Arandil.

Cheers, Liz

For Jenni, who likes Bilbo and Legolas

Teatime in Rivendell

Bilbo stepped up briskly to the handsome blond elf. "You are King Thranduil's son?"

"Why, yes," said Legolas. He had never seen a hobbit before, and was taken aback by the fierce expression on the small one's kindly face. "May I have the pleasure—"

"Bilbo Baggins, at your service," Bilbo replied, bowing, his eyes gleaming strangely. "At last I can pay you back for that rude disappearing act." And he snatched Legolas's plate of honey cakes. "How does that feel?"

Gandalf looked down upon the elf's astonished face. "Never stand between a hobbit and his meal," he declared solemnly.

From "Flies and Spiders," The Hobbit

The smell of the roast meats was so enchanting that...every one of them got up and scrambled forwards into the ring with the one idea of begging for some food. No sooner had the first stepped into the clearing than all the lights went out as if by magic....

Re: For Tanaqui, who likes Gondorians

Liz said, I would like to request birthday drabbles about any moment in Gondorian history

I hope an implied moment from the early fourth age will suit? It's been too long since I've worked with two of my favourite characters. ;-)

Edicts
"You mean we cannot visit him?" Eyes too old for my son's young face catch my own, accusing me. "But... but Pippin promised he would show me how to hunt mushrooms."

"By the king's edict no one..." I begin.

"I care not what the king commands," he interrupts. He seems over-old, no longer a boy.

"You know a steward cannot leave Gondor," I remind him. "Sir Peregrin must teach his liege-lord the bird-calls of the North. How else will we know our allies?"

A grin replaces the frown on my Bergil's face: in a reunited kingdom, roads run both ways.

Re: For Tanaqui, who likes Gondorians

Hi Marta

Thank you so much - I love this!

How did you manage to cram so many of my favourite things into just 100 words? It focuses on two of my favourite characters, but manages to work in references to two others. There are several snippets of Gondorian political history woven together to give the "plot". And even a hint at nature-loving Faramir....

And most of all, I love that last line: in a reunited kingdom, roads run both ways. That's a wonderful sentiment about reconnection and mutual support.

Thank you again!

Cheers, Liz
*still grinning widely*

Happy Birthday, Tanaqui! (round 2)

Tanaqui (Liz) asked for any moment of Gondorian history, so here's a drabble about Isildur in 3429 II, when Gondor was only a little more than 100 years old Edit: This is a sequel to Moon Devotion, and a prequel to Cold Comfort and Moon Shadow.

Luminosity

The Tower of the Moon stands defiant, light welling through white-marble walls against the darkening hills. I glance back, vowing to return to my proud city, built to honor fair Ithil... now only a diminishing thumbnail.

Again, I have rescued a scion of Nimloth, and the palantír; these I guard closely as I gallop with my wife and sons on the road to Osgiliath. There we will take ship north, to seek my father's aid, now that the lengthening shadow of Mordor threatens fledgling Gondor.

I swear by my patron, the Moon, that I will stand unwavering against the Dark.

When therefore Sauron saw his time he came with great force against the new realm of Gondor, and he took Minas Ithil, and he destroyed the White Tree of Isildur that grew there. But Isildur escaped, and taking with him a seedling of the Tree he went with his wife and his sons by ship down the River, and they sailed from the mouths of Anduin seeking Elendil. Meanwhile Anárion held Osgiliath against the Enemy, and for that time drove him back to the mountains; but Sauron gathered his strength again, and Anárion knew that unless help should come his kingdom would not long stand.

The Silmarillion, Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,
That monthly changes in her circled orb,
Lest that thy love prove likewise variable.

Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare

For Gandalf's Apprentice

Triple drabble for GA, who wanted anything involving Gandalf and Aragorn... er, that is, Aragorn and Gandalf finding stuff out about each other. Drat. Knew I should've looked at that again before writing, but perhaps the extra wordage will make up for failing to fit the precise terms of the request.

Dwim

Wizardry

"Well."

Their journey, all in a word, caught up snug as snail in its shell, as Aragorn stood scowling at the stony ledge whose crumbled end had lain concealed in the evening's thick shadows. Gandalf grunted in reply. Months they'd been on the trail, scouring the earth and every whisper for any trace of their quarry, and been led ever south and east, only to stand defeated for the fifth day in a row by the Emyn Muil. If Gollum skulked here, he could sleep easy tonight with no fear of them.

With a growl, Gandalf slapped the rockface, feeling the steady refusal of stone that bent to no will, not even a wizard's, then wincing slouched to the ground; Aragorn grimly joined him. Thus they sat, tucked up uncomfortably between the proverbial rock and hard place, acutely aware of their blisters, of the day's scraped shins, strained muscles, and hands bloodied against the unforgiving stone walls of Emyn Muil; hungry, thirsty, exhausted, frustrated.

A sorry pair they were, with dust sweat-crusted in their hair, grey as the rocks that thwarted them—dull as rocks, too, to resent unfeeling stone so. Sorry, indeed, Middle-earth's greatest hunters brought low by an emaciated stick of a Gollum. It was to laugh!

And so, indeed, Gandalf did—his wheezing chuckle overflowing into a torrent of laughter, which his companion met with a nonplussed look. But it soon began to waver before the onslaught of mirth, 'til at last a smile broke and with it, the giddy rush of hilarity that had the Ranger wiping his eyes ere long.

They laughed 'til breath ran out, 'til stomachs cramped, and when at last they sat sprawled, two weary travelers panting amid the rocks, Aragorn sighed once more: "Well."

And with that, they, too, slept easy.

Aragorn and Gandalf, two peas in a pod. Observe:

"Pippin glanced in some wonder at the face now close beside his own, for the sound of that laugh had been gay and merry. Yet in the wizard's face he saw at first only lines of care and sorrow; though as he looked more intently he perceived that under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth." - "Minas Tirith", ROTK, 33.

"[Aragorn's] face was sad and stern because of the doom that was laid on him, and yet hope dwelt ever in the depths of his heart, from which mirth would arise at times like a spring from the rock" - "Appendix A", ROTK, 385-386.

Hope that does well by your namesakes, Gandalf's Apprentice!

Re: Happy Birthday, Tanaqui!

Hi Barbara

Oh, this is such a wonderful drabble, and such a great complement to the first one. Thank you so much.

While the "last glimpse" of Minas Ithil is well-conveyed, it's the last line that particularly moves me. It is so poignant, since we know both how bravely Isildur fought against Sauron and yet how quickly he "fell" to the lure of the Ring.

Thank you again for revealing the symbolism in Isildur's name and history in these two marvellous drabbles.

Cheers, Liz

Re: For Gandalf's Apprentice

Hi Dwim!

Thanks SO MUCH for your terrific vignette. Great writing, very much in character, and on a subject just begging for more exploration. I always especially liked the two descriptions of A. and G. that you quote.

By the way, I don't go by Gandalf's Apprentice as a reference to Aragorn, although I agree it is a true enough description of him (certainly Denethor would think so). I'm only myself humbly following in the great wizard's footsteps, and, unfortunately, probably more in the manner of the Sorcerer's Apprentice of musical fame. 

For a lighter view of wizardry, take a look at my little farce, "Gandalf's No Good, Rotten, Really Bad Day," written for the Bookverse Improbabilities Challenge.

Thanks again,

Amy (G.A.) 

Happy Birthday, Tanaqui! A piece of history from the annals of Gondor and Rohan:

At the very moment that it seemed all was lost, a clarion horn call soared over the battlefield, ringing sweet and terrible over the din. Riders! As a wind on the mountain they swept down, driving the orcs before them like a foul mist. A great banner streamed triumphant over the charge, a gleam of white and gold on green. At the head of all, a golden rider on a silver horse leapt forward, bright hair flowing, helm, hauberk and sword aflame in the sun. The great war song of the Eotheod rose up like a wave and smote terror into Balchoth and Orc alike. A glad shout rang out from the ranks of Gondor, and the white standard of the Steward flew up as if in salute. Thus came Eorl the Young to the Field of Celebrant.

cheers,
Maya

Happy Birthday, Tanaqui!

Hi Tanaqui: For your birthday drabble, I took advantage of a moment in Gondorian history to explore Denethor's ambivalent feelings toward a certain mysterious stranger.--Gandalfs apprentice

A Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Denethor heard the news with great satisfaction. The captain had crippled the corsairs, at little cost to Gondor, lifting a great burden from the folk of the shore, and, by extension, from the Steward. Then that upstart sellsword had disappeared—deserted, Denethor told his father.

What then was that stab of pain when next the Steward's son saw the golden throne, empty and silent? Till the King shall come again, came the unbidden thought. Regret and loss replaced envy and hate. Thorongil! In the time of Gondor's glory, I would have been the King's man and your brother at arms.

Happy Birthday, Tanaqui! (round 3)

Another piece of Gondorian history for you, Liz! (Edit: This is the second sequel, following Moon Devotion and Luminosity, and a prequel to Moon Shadow.)

Cold Comfort

He was Sun-scion to my Moon-friend. 'Tis in Anárion's honor that I plant the sapling of Nimloth, rescued from Minas Ithil, here in Minas Anor.

People thought us different -- day and night -- yet we sprang from the same root and shared much: Gondor's reign, pride in our sons.

Gondor's new king is young by our reckoning -- though older than we when first we sat our thrones side-by-side in Osgiliath's splendor. I find him reserved, and wary of my counsel.

Tonight, I remember my brother and contemplate his Tree, its fountain twinkling under Ithil's last smile.

Tomorrow, I depart for Rivendell.

In Minas Ithil was the house of Isildur, and in Minas Anor the house of Anárion, but they shared the realm between them and their thrones were set side by side in the Great Hall of Osgiliath.

The Silmarillion, Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

'All know in Gondor that [Isildur, after the Last Alliance] went first to Minas Anor and dwelt a while with his nephew Meneldil, instructing him, before he committed to him the rule of the South Kingdom. In that time he planted there the last sapling of the White Tree in memory of his brother.'

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 2, Ch 2, The Council of Elrond

Meneldil was the nephew of Isildur, son of Isildur's younger brother Anárion, slain in the siege of Barad-dûr. Isildur had established Meneldil as King of Gondor. He was a man of courtesy, but farseeing, and he did not reveal his thoughts. He was in fact well-pleased by the departure of Isildur and his sons, and hoped that affairs in the North would keep them long occupied. [Author's note.]

Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 1, The Disaster of the Gladden Fields: Notes, Note 10

[Year 2, Third Age:]
Isildur plants a seedling of the White Tree in Minas Anor. He delivers the South-kingdom to Meneldil. Disaster of the Gladden Fields; Isildur and his three elder sons are slain.

The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix B, The Tale of Years: The Third Age

Hi Amy,

I always especially liked the two descriptions of A. and G. that you quote.

Those are great lines, aren't they? They need more attention. And better attention. I'm going to drop this drabble in my Drabble Dungeon thread, as I feel like I could make this work better, though I'm not sure how, yet. Perhaps somebody else will have insight on the transition between frustration and laughter.

By the way, I don't go by Gandalf's Apprentice as a reference to Aragorn, although I agree it is a true enough description of him (certainly Denethor would think so). I'm only myself humbly following in the great wizard's footsteps, and, unfortunately, probably more in the manner of the Sorcerer's Apprentice of musical fame.

Ah, I see. Blame my misperception on my Aragorn-centric worldview, then. ;-)

For a lighter view of wizardry, take a look at my little farce, "Gandalf's No Good, Rotten, Really Bad Day," written for the Bookverse Improbabilities Challenge.

Thanks for the rec. I'll see if I can get some reading in this weekend. BTW, how's your WiP coming along?

TTFN,

Dwim

Hey, Dwim:

I promise to mull over the problem of the transition from frustration to laughter. I'll let you know if inspiration reaches me!

G.A. 

*applauds* Oh, thank you Maya - this is a wonderful drabble!

I love the way you've managed to capture echoes here of the other great Ride of the Rohirrim, led by another great king. There are so many wonderful phrases here: ringing sweet and terrible and rose up like a wave and smote terror and as if in glad salute and... oh, heck, just the whole drabble. This feels like a page from a Gondorian chronicle.

Thank you again for such a marvellous present!

Cheers

Oh, GA, this is a simply fabulous drabble about one of my favourite characters and his troubled relationship with the stranger from Rohan!

I've drabbled this moment myself (in a different way), but I love your interpretation of Denethor's confused feelings. I feel that mix of attraction and anger is exactly what Denethor would feel. And, again, great phrases: upstart sellsword is perfect!

Thank you so much for such a great birthday present!

Cheers, Liz

Re: Happy Birthday, Tanaqui! (round 3)

Barbara, I've already told you in IM that I love this drabble -- and the whole sequence of three drabbles about Isildur's dealings with the White Tree. You "compare and contrast" the day and night so perfectly, get in the little dig about Meneldil... and there is an extra poignancy to "Ithil's last smile", because we know what will befall Isildur on that journey to Rivendell. I am a very lucky birthday girl. Thank you again.

Cheers, Liz

For Winterhawk, 21 September

Winterhawk said As a child of Mabon, (the Autumnal Equinox) I would dearly love a tale of the Elves of Greenwood at this time of year and if you can work in *Good* Thranduil and Legolas it would be wonderful.

Hi Winterhawk

Here is Greenwood before it was Mirkwood, *Good* Thranduil and his father, and a number of seasonal references.

Waning

The harvest moon casts bronzed beams across lightly gilded shifting leaves. Thranduil holds his breath while the white hart steps closer. As it bends its head to drink, he looses both arrow and breath.

Circling the pool, he offers thanks to the Great Hunter and the Giver of Fruits.

A thousand years of the Sun since his father departed for the House of the Doomsman. When this moon has grown old and made way for its son, the hunter, king and people will feast on venison: to mark the year’s fall and remember those who no longer tread Greenwood’s glades.

Oropher was slain in the first assault upon Mordor, rushing forward at the head of his most doughty warriors before Gil-galad had given the signal for the advance. Thranduil his son survived, but when the war ended and Sauron was slain (as it seemed) he led back home barely a third of the army that had marched to war.

Unfinished Tales, Part 2, Ch 4, Appendix B, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn: The Sindarin Princes of the Silvan Elves

3434 The host of the [Last] Alliance crosses the Misty Mountains. Battle of
Dagorlad…

The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix B, The Tale of Years: The Second Age

1050 […] About this time a shadow falls on Greenwood, and men begin to call it Mirkwood.

You can find details of the harvest and hunter’s moons – and the names of other full moons – here

Happy Birthday!

Cheers, Liz

For Gandalf's Apprentice, 30 September

Gandalf's apprentice asked for Anything involving Aragorn or Gandalf the Grey finding out something about the other.

I wanted to write Aragorn surprising Gandalf rather than the other way around... and this emerged! And I think Gandalf surprised himself here....

Crossroads

They had fallen in together at the Prancing Pony, both travelling to Rivendell. The wizard was known to all, but had not marked his companion for aught but another Ranger. Only the following day, when he caught sight of the ring, did he guess.

In the wavering light of their campfire, sharing a pipe, Gandalf coaxed the young man to reveal his dreams. A great doom, a great trial… a great love?

Gandalf blinked. Then he smiled. Would the Lady of Rivendell refuse the King of both Arnor and Gondor?

Another chance meeting in Bree; another opportunity for mutual aid.

2941 Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. […] Bard of Esgaroth slays Smaug.

2951 […] Arwen, newly returned from Lórien, meets Aragorn in the woods of Imladris. […]

2956 Aragorn meets Gandalf and their friendship begins.

[Gandalf:] “When you think of the great Battle of Pelennor, do not forget the Battle of Dale. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador! There might be no Queen in Gondor. We might now only hope to return from the victory here to ruin and ash. But that has been averted – because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring not far from Bree. A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth."

Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 3, The Quest of Erebor

That day therefore Elrond called [Aragorn] by his true name, and told him who he was and whose son; and he delivered to him the heirlooms of his house.

"Here is the ring of Barahir," he said, "the token of our kinship from afar; and here also are the shards of Narsil. With these you may yet do great deeds; for I foretell that the span of your life shall be greater than the measure of Men, unless evil befalls you or you fail at the test. But the test will be hard and long. The Sceptre of Annúminas I withhold, for you have yet to earn it."

The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix A, Annals of the Kings and Rulers: Here Follows a Part of The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen

Happy Birthday!

Cheers, Liz

Re: For Gandalf's Apprentice, 30 September

Liz:

Oooh, lovely! Thank you, thank you! Not only a ref to the great love, but a Gandalf-meets-Aragorn scenario! In my opinion, far too few have tried to fill that gap. I'll be writing my own version (probably won't be available for a while) in "The Sword of Elendil." 

Following up on your comments on my drabble: I wouldn't call Denethor one of my favorite characters. He's too touchy and proud for me. I like writing about him, though, precisely because he is conflicted and contradictory. He's INTERESTING. I'm hoping to write more Thorongil stories to indulge yet more in challenging characterizations. My story "Contrapunto" expresses the most negative side of Denethor; but there's a lot more there to explore.

Amy (G.A.) 

For Dawn!

Happy Birthday, Dawn!

It's not a drabble, though. It turned into a quibble (exactly 500 words). It's also not quite what you asked for (Blame Fëanor!). I hope you have no quibble with that. And now, here it is. Read and enjoy!

"The Sea of Ice" (1824) by Caspar David Friedrich (1774-1840)

Cold Like Fire

White and pure, she had always imagined ice floes to be. And easily floating, delicate wonders of Eru's design, the sweetest of waters, solidified, swept up by the bitterness of salty floods below.

Now here she was.

The ice shone green and black and blue, grinding and moaning, breaking under their feet. The air so cold it burned her lungs like fire.

Now she was here.

Fell deeds and fey oaths had led them forth; no less than fitting that they should not find purity here, to cool and soothe their angry spirits. Just reward, to meet a cold that burned as true as the fire that had sent them forth.

But here she was.

She was here. Tears froze into glittering pearls around her lashes, her eyes gleamed green and blue like the ice to her feet. Too many were not. Faltering spirits or failing bodies had sent too many back from whence they had come, houseless fëa born crying on the icy winds. Yet she was still here. Every careful inhalation sent a sense of prickling exhilaration coursing through her body.

She was here.

She had reason for hatred now, where once there had been merely a faint distaste born of envy. She had reason for a bitterness now as bleak and grinding as the ice of the Helcaraxë. Yet she felt it not. If anything, she felt a strange kinship to that spirit of fire who had led them forth and abandoned them. She shuddered. Had she been in his stead, would she have stayed her hand in time? Or would she, too, have sealed the destiny of her people, as he had done?

But oath or no oath…

Here she was.

The icy cold of the far North suffused the woman who would once be called Galadriel. It roused in her a fire equal to the one burning in the soul of the High Prince and self-proclaimed King of the Noldor. Her feet did not slip as she moved along on the ice. Ice that was black, blue and green, with shards that tore through her shoes and coloured her foot prints red with blood. And though the fire of the North made her spirit burn, it did not consume her.

Here.

For while her fire was fey and fierce, it was a cold fire, this fire won in the North, on narrow painful paths through the grinding ice of the Helcaraxë. Paths that would be found only twice in all the long ages. Once by a spirit of shadow, once by a spirit of light.

Here.

Under the silver moon, their trumpets finally rang out in triumph. Echoes raised of unholy cries were lost amid the golden ululations of the Noldorin fanfares. Her soul answered the song of the trumpets. The air was wild and free and sweet. Wide lands beckoned. Destiny waited to be made her own.

Here.

Her heart beat heavily.
Cold fire glowed in her eyes.

She was here.

Thank you, Fëanáro.

Happy Birthday!

Yours Juno

Re: (re: For Winterhawk) - Harvest Moon

In case anyone is interested - the Harvest Moon will reach full tomorrow night at around 10 pm EDT (2:00 am GMT). Worth taking a look. Maybe there will be Elves in the woods watching too... ;)

Clear skies,
Ithildin  *( 

Happy Birthday, Arandil!

Happy Birthday, !

I wish you health, happiness and good luck whenever you need it the most! Generous muses and endurance for your writing!

*HUGS*

I have a drouble for you, about Nerdanel and Fëanor - a drabble could never be enough for those two, right? So you get a double drabble.

I'm sorry that it turned out creepy and sad. But you know the muses. They are fickle.

Much love and have a good one!

Yours

Juno

"Lamia" by John William Waterhouse (1849-1917); pointy ear & long hair photomanipped by me.

Luceo, Non Uro? – When Fires Burn and Lights Go Out

All words were lost now.

She knelt in front of him. She reached for his hand. She wanted to beg and plead – if not for herself, at least for her sons.

But no words would come to her.
Nor tears. (Not yet.)

She raised her eyes to meet his gaze. She searched for the fire she knew so well, from long labour and longer love, shared and shared again. She reached for the spirit that had once held her spell-bound.

But there was no more magic.
Nor fire.

She found him subdued, defeated, withdrawn. A mere shell of the fiery spirit she had loved. He did not meet her gaze, instead looked down on the joined light of their wedding rings. The light, reflected on his armour, made it glitter in the blood-red flare of the torches. He did not move. He did not take her hand. He did not cry.

He would leave her.

He would leave with his head held high, with his eyes blazing, his expression stern, his posture unyielding.

His spirit filled with fire once more.
A fell fire.

A fire that would burn his heart.

And the lights of their rings would shine no more.

"Luceo, Non Uro" is Latin for "I shine, I do not burn."

Re: Happy Birthday, Arandil!

Beautiful and sad, just like poor Nerdanel, forsaken for vengeance and pride.

Feanor has turned from his true self, that of a brilliant creator, into a destroyer, and the change has killed his spirit and will kill him...

I keep thinking that maybe Feanor and Nerdanel had a daughter whom JRRT didn't mention, who stayed home and crafted enchanted swords or something....

RAKSHA

For Arandil

And if anyone wants to write me a drabble where Glorfindel kicks the crap out of Arwen for stealing his horse, more power to you.

Arandil, I hope you like this!

Jay

Glorfindel's Revenge

Handing Frodo to her father – the unfortunate hobbit looked half dead, successfully distracting Elrond – Arwen dismounted, and handed Asfaloth to the grooms. 

Stepping back, she felt an unyielding body behind her.  "Just where do you think you are going?"  a low voice growled.

Heart sinking, Arwen turned to face her accuser.  "Glorfindel!  Thank you for letting me borrow Asfaloth.  He is much faster than my own horse!"

His expression darkened.  "You did not 'borrow' him.  You stole him – again.   I warned you before – your brothers and I will tell Aragorn  every embarrassing tale of your childhood!"

She paled.  "Glorfindel, no!"

Author Notes:  I got the date wrong 

I first posted this at the beginning of September, far too early for Arandil's birthday.  Sorry!

drabbles for Arandil and Gandalf's apprentice:

September 30 - Gandalf's apprentice: Happy early Birthday,

~Mallondwen

Spellbound:

My mind urges me to help but my legs refuse. Frodo cries out, "Gandalf!" running forward, what hinders me?

Boromir holds him back. Tis certain death. The bridge could collapse any moment.

Struggling to hold on, Gandalf locks his gaze with mine, "Fly you fools!"

Eternal seconds pass, no one dares to breathe or turn away,

Suddenly he is gone.

My vision blurs in disbelief, No!

Feeling abruptly loosed, I stumbled forward a step.

"Gandalf." I sigh knowingly as the first tear slips.

An assailing arrow strikes the steps, "fly you fools!" echoes faintly, obeying sadly we turn and go.

September 17 - Arandil: Elladan and/or Elrohir - either by themselves or together.

Ask and you shall receive, a day late granted but IMHO well worth the wait. I hope you like it,

~Mallondwen

Together- double drabble

Together we have fought many battles, cried many tears and talked many nights away. Together we came into this world, and we sit now in debate of thought about leaving it. Is it time we follow the call?

Should we forsake our father's house, where countless memories abound? The corridors, once filled with mirthful laughter, are empty, the gardens are unkempt, and moss now grows over the walking stones.

Rising, I move to the balcony, gazing over the moonlit valley. The waterfall's restless voices stir the longing within me.

I cast a questing glance my brother's way. I see turmoil in his charcoal eyes and my heart sinks with fear. We have always been together. Will we part as did my Father and Uncle?

My hands tremble, I know not from whence the knowing came but I can no longer deny that my path leads Westward beyond the Sea. But his ties to the land are strong, what will he choose?

As if in answer to my uncertainty, Elrohir sighs and speaks into the tense silence, his voice tinged with resignation. "The Sea holds my heart as it holds yours, Muindór. I will resist it no more, together we sail."

Re: drabbles for Arandil and Gandalf's apprentice:

Two lovely drabbles.  'Spellbound' is a vivid recreation of Gandalf's fall and the desperation the fellowship must have felt at that moment.

'Together' - I love anything to do with the twins, and this is a wonderful look at a crucial moment in their lives.  Even the thought of them taking seperate paths is chilling.  Thank you for the ending - like you, I firmly believe that they sailed west,  together.

Jay

Re: drabbles for Arandil and Gandalf's apprentice:

Mallondwen:

Thanks for the drabble! It's hard to find a more dramatic moment between Aragorn and Gandalf than that! You pictured it very well.

Well-done portrait of the twins, too.

Gandalfs apprentice 

Drabble for the Feanoriacs...

September 2 - Jenni: I love the Silmarillion best,.. I like romantic, angsty, and sexy stories. I like Fëanor,

September 16 - Dawn Felagund: my request is for drabbles (or whatever) pertaining to Feanor's family.

September 17 - Arandil: Feanor. Anything about Feanor as long he is not protrayed as evil!Feanor.

Happy Birthday to the Feanor fanatics!  My drabble muse has been shy lately, so until I can coax it into inspiring me more, please share this one.

Strong Spirits

I understand metal and fire, light and crystal, but the soft things elude me. The sponge, held in a beloved's hand, sluices the grime from the forge off my chest.  I tremble from other than chill, heat erupting under tender ministrations; gentle fingers run the towel over the curves of my body.  What is this unbounded, inexhaustible power that she has?  We have sons – tall, proud sons – and still the copper strands of her hair weave their net around my heart and her soft eyes plead.  I know that look.  Another child?  I am lost in her softness, and agree.

Gwynnyd

Re: Drabble for the Feanoriacs...

Gwynnyd,

Thank you! How absolutely beautiful! There is more than enough there to share

Incidentally, in Felak!canon, it is Feanor who pushes to have seven sons, despite the fact that Nerdanel is growing weary. I like your way better, though, as it is happier and less tragic than mine

Dawn Felagund

Re: Drabble for the Feanoriacs...

Thank you, Gwynnyd! I just discovered this wonderful drabble, and I love it! The soft things elude me. How beautiful!

Love, Jenni

Very Late Pressie for Arandil

(3) Elladan and/or Elrohir - either by themselves or together.

You'll have to pardon Ye Ol' Spirit of Fire, who is infuriating bratty spoiled annoying irritating maddening difficult obstinate er, less than cooperative. You know how it is. Luckily, a certain pair of half elven twins decided to distract me from my biology lecture this morning. Thus, I present to you a pair of drabbles! (To make up for their lateness)

The Dead Keep It
The air is damp under this dark mountain. A chill and angry wind blows, whispering eerie warnings against the rocks. Swirling mist and tangled hair and the smell of dirt and decay. What madness would lead a man here? who would desire to see this place of dust and haze and fear, a dead men's haunt? It is no strange thing that those who venture here return not. Perhaps they die of terror, or of cold, or of madness. Their ghostly voices cry in the blackness of this, their tomb. But if I am afraid, I shall not admit it.

It is dark, black as night, this shadowy mountain. No light enters here. It is shut out by the mountain's perpetual night, driven back by an icy wind. Blinded, we scramble slowly over rocks, finding nonexistent paths through the darkness. The dust chokes and the air chills. A cursed place indeed. Every step echoes off the stone, too loud. Always too loud in this dark. The rushing of the wind cannot drown out the beating of my heart. The mist which blinds my eyes surely is not itself blind. And if I am afraid, I am not the only one.

Hope you enjoy!

~ Tárion Anaróre

edit: apologies for microscopic text and poor formatting on first go.

Re: September 2005 - for Tanaqui

September 29 - Tanaqui: My birthday is September 29th. Anyone with even a passing acquaintance with me knows that my favourite Middle-earth culture is Gondor. ... I would like to request birthday drabbles about any moment in Gondorian history.

Happy birthday! 

Unnecessary Expenditure

Calves aching, we climb the still unrailed stair.  The acrid fumes of new mortar invade my nose as I clamber up and see the top chamber at last.  I pass from window to window caressing the smooth white stone sills. Birds glide below me, tiny shadows rippling over the thriving corn.  Anduin's silver line fades into the horizon farther than I have ever seen before. My breath feels ragged and not from the exertion of the climb.

"Too expensive and unnecessary."  Ingold sounds harsh. "You are not a king, Ecthelion."

"I know."  Yet I am Steward of all I survey.

2698 Ecthelion I rebuilds the White Tower in Minas Tirith.
  Tale of Years

By the dating, it looks to me like the first thing he did when he became Steward was to rebuild the tower.

Gwynnyd

Hi Gwynnyd!

This is a lovely drabble - such a clear picture, it gave me a bit of acrophobia! (The unrailed stair did me in...)

I was puzzled at first at the description of the "acrid fumes" of mortar, until I remembered -- they used to make mortar with quicklime, didn't they? What a wonderful, realistic detail!

Very nice work, Gwynnyd! I'm sure Liz will love it!

- Barbara

P.S. Oh, BTW, the tower was the last thing Ecthelion did, not the first -- he acceded to the throne in 2685, and died in 2698... sorry, the Resources geek in me made me mention that!

P.S. Oh, BTW, the tower was the last thing Ecthelion did, not the first -- he acceded to the throne in 2685, and died in 2698... sorry, the Resources geek in me made me mention that!

Gnatpucky!  Oh well, the moment still works, since we don't know when precisely he re-built the tower.  Unless you think he slipped and fell down those unrailed stairs.  LOL

Gwynnyd 

Gnatpucky! Oh well, the moment still works, since we don't know when precisely he re-built the tower.

Oh, absolutely! The drabble is great!

Unless you think he slipped and fell down those unrailed stairs. LOL

Bwahahahahahaha!

- Barbara

Ah, Carol, thank you!

This is a terrific drabble. You give such wonderful "concrete" (excuse the pun!) details of a new, not-quite-finished building that I can imagine myself standing alongside Ecthelion at the top of the tower. The acrid smell of the mortar is so evocative. And the specific images in the vista of Gondor spread out below give me a tangible sense of what the country means to Ecthelion.

I'm glad it appears Ecthelion had a chance to see the land he clearly cares for in such a way before he died -- which was probably old age, given he was 98, a good innings for a Steward even back then.... Hmm, maybe it was climbing all those steps finally did him in. Anyway, I love this, with or without the canon quibble Barbara pointed out.

Thank you, again!

Cheers, Liz
*grinning and re-reading*

A Mega-Drabble for Tanaqui's Birthday

Happy Birthday, Liz!  Here's a father celebrating the birth of a child in late Third Age Minas Tirith, in 500 words...

Destiny of Fire

A great day dawns for the House of Húrin! After twelve years and two sickly daughters, my dear wife has finally brought forth a son! I have an heir who will steward Gondor after my father and I depart this world.

Gondor shall rejoice with us soon enough. But just now; I would show my son to the morning star, who heralds the day of his birth. I take the warmly wrapped child in my arms and bear him through our halls. Servants and guards call out blessings on my son's head. I walk with a spring in my step, feeling far younger than my forty-six years.

I proceed outside our door, walking proudly across the Citadel's green sward. My son stirs at the touch of the fresh air, his nose snuffling at the new scent. Through the blankets, I feel him turn; and rejoice at the sturdiness of his small body. He is a strong child, stronger than my poor little girls.

I approach the withered husk of the White Tree. "May you see our Tree blossom once more, my son" I tell the babe, showing him the precious relic. The child sighs slightly and waves one pink fist. I laugh and kiss his brow.

I look to the early morning sky, now pockmarked with clouds the color of a dying fire. But far above them I can glimpse the star. "Behold, my son" I tell him, "The star of Eärendil. You must never lose hope; for the star will always abide." Yet even as I speak, one of the rust-colored clouds passes overhead, veiling the star. A hot wind stirs up from the East, bringing a noxious scent over the Keel. My son whimpers.

"Fear not, child" I tell him, stroking the wisps of black hair on his head. "There is Darkness in the world, but none that can take Gil-Estel from us. The star remains!"

The babe quiets; but I grow angry. I know Who has tried to spoil this moment, Who would hide the hope that Eärendil brings to Middle-earth, Who would send fumes to mar the morning's freshness! I turn East. Holding my son close, I raise a fist toward the Mountains of Shadow. "This child shall e'er withhold the Tower of Guard from your grasp, Dark One. The White City will not fall! I pledge my life, and that of my son…."

A plume of smoke suddenly rises beyond the dark mountains, as if in answer to my challenge. Mount Doom itself roars and belches acrid fumes and flames.

The babe whines and turns his head away from the sight. I stand firm, but now my heart knows fear. One day, my sturdy little son will hold the White Rod. Will he prevail against the Enemy's fire?

Mordor's red-tinged clouds sully the sunrise, shadowing my son's face. Yet I can still see, between the clouds, the star gleaming bright. "Keep hope in your heart, Denethor" I tell him. And I pray that he will.

________________________________________________________________________________

Turgon followed Turin, but of his time it is chiefly remembered that two years ere his death, Sauron arose again, and declared himself openly; and he re-entered Mordor long prepared for him. Then the Barad-dûr was raised once more, and Mount Doom burst into flame, and the last of the folk of Ithilien fled far away. Appendix A, Return of the King

According to HoME XII The Peoples of Middle-Earth, (chapter VII The Heirs of Elendil) Ecthelion was forty-six years old when Denethor, his "first son and third child" was born. There is no information as to the health of Ecthelion's daughters; I have taken dramatic license in saying they were "sickly"; though poor health might explain why there is no mention of the girls or their descendants in the published version of ROTK.

I know I've seen Earendil's star referred to as Gil-Estel in fanfic, but I can't remember where.  Seemed too good a title to pass up, though.

Oh, I stole the title of this piece from a rather depressing book (about the Cathars) by Zoe Oldenbourg that I read about 35 years ago.

Re: A Mega-Drabble for Tanaqui's Birthday

Raksha,

This is lovely! And so worth looking for that obscure quote about Denethor's older sisters (which I've added to the Denethor
bio, BTW...)!

And Gil-Estel is indeed a canon name for the star of Eärendil; you can find more information about it here.

Barbara, whose geeky little Resources heart is warmed....

Hi Raksha

Oh, thank you so much!! This is a simply marvellous mega-drabble. You’ve woven so many elements of Gondor’s history in here: the death of the White Tree less than a hundred years before; the return of Sauron to Mordor; and the events of the Siege of Minas Tirith. I also couldn’t help thinking of Ecthelion’s lousy parenting in favouring another star -- Thorongil -- over Denethor! And the theme of the hope represented by the stars -- especially Gil-Estel -- is a favourite one of mine in my stories about Faramir, so I’m glad to see it here too.

And yet this drabble is so sad, since we know what Denethor’s eventual fate will be. There are many memorable lines but "This child shall e'er withhold the Tower of Guard from your grasp, Dark One.” is so devastating given what we know will happen. *sniffle*

Thanks again, Raksha. This is a real treasure and I feel very honoured to be the recipient of it.

Cheers, Liz

(PS: Also very happy that your innocent enquiry about the note about Denethor’s sisters in his bio led to Barbara setting off on a major resources track and sorting out lots of entries for the palantíri… which in turn led to lots of entries for the Quest of Erebor… and who knows where that will lead.... Bwahahahaha!)

(PS: Also very happy that your innocent enquiry about the note about Denethor’s sisters in his bio led to Barbara setting off on a major resources track and sorting out lots of entries for the palantíri… which in turn led to lots of entries for the Quest of Erebor… and who knows where that will lead.... Bwahahahaha!)

Liz, you are an evil woman!

- Barbara

Glad you liked the mega-drabble, Liz.

I confess that I only just realized that I'm off by over 20 years on the time that Sauron moved back to the old neighborhood and declared himself openly.  Arrggghhh!  I did research before I wrote, but I didn't catch it; so the mega-drabble must be AU.  Actually, Orodruin didn't blow until 2954, when Denethor was a young man of 24.  I think I'll just bang my head on the virtual wall.

At least I inspired an accurate addition to Denny's bio.

As for your not being able to help thinking of Ecthelion's lousy parenting in favouring another star - Thorongil - over Denethor ---- you were meant to!  (smiles evilly)  Hence the deliberate reference to Gil-Estel.  Hope walks into Minas Tirith bearing the name of a star (Thorongil) and Ecthelion takes him into his heart.  My Ecthelion has elements of both Boromir, in his arrogance and toughness, and Faramir, in the persistance of his defiance.  And I think Denethor's birth must have been a very hopeful event for Ecthelion and Gondor.  Yet somehow, Ecthelion and Denethor lost their way to each other, and grew apart; as Denethor and Faramir would. 

RAKSHA

Thanx for the comments, Barbara. 

I followed your Resources links and noticed to my great delight that Denethor's name means lithe and lank.  Who does that sound like?  Longshanks, one of the many names of Denethor's favorite Captain and doppleganger - heeee!

Bless your geeky little Resources heart!

RAKSHA

Glad you liked the mega-drabble, Liz.

I did, I did!

I confess that I only just realized that I'm off by over 20 years on the time that Sauron moved back to the old neighborhood and declared himself openly. Arrggghhh! I did research before I wrote, but I didn't catch it; so the mega-drabble must be AU. Actually, Orodruin didn't blow until 2954, when Denethor was a young man of 24.

I was trying not to notice that.... Maybe Orodruin rumbled occasionally before 2954....

I think I'll just bang my head on the virtual wall.

No, don't do that; it will hurt! I did half the resource library entries and still can't keep the damn stuff straight. It's all JRRT's fault...!

At least I inspired an accurate addition to Denny's bio.

Which is always a Good Thing. (And isn't the etymology great....)

As for your not being able to help thinking of Ecthelion's lousy parenting in favouring another star - Thorongil - over Denethor ---- you were meant to! (smiles evilly)

Woot! Then I'm glad I made the connection and caught the reference!

Thanks again for a lovely mega-drabble.

Cheers, Liz

Thanx for the comments, Barbara.

You're welcome! I enjoyed the megadrabble!

I followed your Resources links and noticed to my great delight that Denethor's name means lithe and lank. Who does that sound like? Longshanks, one of the many names of Denethor's favorite Captain and doppleganger - heeee!

Wow, I never made that connection! Whoever added Ithilden's etymology did A Good Thing! (I'm going to rearrange the Contributors field, since it looks like I'm taking credit for the etymology....)

Bless your geeky little Resources heart!

Thank you! You realize, of course, that I'm adding your Turgon quote to three other entries? You're almost as nuzgul-flinging as Liz....

- Barbara

Happy Birthday, Tanaqui! (round 4)

Hi Liz!

Today's the big day -- for at least another hour! Happy Birthday!

And, to celebrate, the fourth drabble in my Isildur series, following Moon Devotion, Luminosity, and Cold Comfort:

Moon Shadow

The white-clad master paces, lordly, in his brooding tower.

Someone to lay my bones honorably to rest? But why would a noble treat with such abominations as now approach?

"My lord, we found the jewellery you sought!" The loathsome creature dumps a sack of mouldering bones, a golden locket, and a sparkling circlet.

My Elendilmir!

"Was there no ring?" The white-robed lord frantically paws through the filthy jumble.

"No, my lord."

Enraged, he hurls the empty locket against the moon-shadowed wall.

Sullen silence.

"And the bones?" ventures another orc. "They're not even worth gnawing on."

"Feed them to the fires!"

'We are the fighting Uruk-hai! ... We are the servants of Saruman the Wise, the White Hand: the Hand that gives us man's-flesh to eat.'

The Two Towers, LoTR Book 3, Ch 3, The Uruk-Hai

Treebeard rumbled for a moment, as if he were pronouncing some deep, subterranean Entish malediction. ... '[Saruman] and his foul folk are making havoc now. Down on the borders they are felling trees -- good trees. ... most are hewn up and carried off to feed the fires of Orthanc. There is always a smoke rising from Isengard these days.'

The Two Towers, LoTR Book 3, Ch 4, Treebeard

But King Elessar ... began the re-ordering of his realm.... Then all the secrets of [Orthanc] were searched. Many [jewels and heirlooms] were found.... Saruman in his degradation had become not a dragon but a jackdaw. At last behind a hidden door ... a steel closet was revealed. ... In a casket on a high shelf two things were laid. One was a small case of gold, attached to a fine chain; it was empty, and bore no letter or token, but beyond all doubt it had once borne the Ring about Isildur's neck. Next to it lay a treasure without price...: the Elendilmir itself ... that ... had been taken by [Elendil] as the token of royalty in the North Kingdom. Every king and the chieftains ... in Arnor had borne the [second] Elendilmir...; but though it was a jewel of great beauty ... it had not the ancientry nor potency of the one that had been lost when Isildur fled into the dark and came back no more. ...

When men considered this secret hoard..., they were dismayed. For it seemed to them that these things ... could not have been found, unless they had been upon Isildur's body when he sank ... Why then ... were there no traces of his bones? Had Saruman found them, and scorned them -- burned them with dishonour in one of his furnaces? If that were so, it was a shameful deed; but not his worst.

Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 1, The Disaster of the Gladden Fields: The Sources of the Legend of Isildur's Death

Re: September 2 - Jenni

September 2 - Jenni: I love the Silmarillion best, especially the Feanorians, but I also love LOTR and Legolas is my favourite character. The Hobbit is also wonderful, and my favourite character in that is Bilbo.

I like romantic, angsty, and sexy stories. I like Fëanor, Maedhros, Maglor, Melian, Estë, Irmo, Galadriel, Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund, and Voronwë and would love any drabbles that anyone can think up about them. Oh, and naughty is more than okay, het or slash ;)

DONE

Forging

He saw her at the forge and remembered the second reason he loved her. Wearing nothing much besides a short bibed leather apron, the flame and sweat made her rippling muscles glow and the red highlights of her dark hair sparkle. As she turned he hungrily stared at the sheen on her breasts as they moved with her breathing and the rivulets of sweat outlined them. After she quenched the metal she was working, and heated his metal the more, she turned to him.

“Nerdanel …” She began to remove his shirt.

“Feanor, I want to bear your children as much as you want me to.” She liked his chest and her insight into what he had only told his heart reminded him of the first reason he loved her.

Later they both knew that Maedhros’ red hair came not from his grandfather but from the heat of his forging.

Ranger1

Re: September 16 - Dawn Felagund

September 16 - Dawn Felagund: Those who know me know that I don't dally much in LotR and prefer the Silmarillion and the First Age and that I love the House of Finwe, particularly those of the Feanorian variety.

Therefore, my request is for drabbles (or whatever) pertaining to Feanor's family. Only I don't want horrible angst and blood and gore and kinslaying--it's my birthday, and I want to think happy thoughts! Instead, I would like ordinary or joyful moments involving the Feanorians. You may involve any other characters that you can weasel into the tale--First Age or not--but I ask for a Feanorian at the center, and in a good mood for a change.

DONE

The Future Foreseen

Finwe saw a familiar looking length of hair hanging from a tree.

“Feanor, what are you doing?”

“I was trying to jump over the tree. I did not make it.”

There were times he wondered about his amazing son. “Well come down. Missing is no reason to hide.”

“I know, but I left my robe in the top of the tree, I do not have anything on.”

There were times he knew about his amazing son. “Take my over-robe, drop down, and run inside.”

“Yes Father.”

I certainly hope he will not be this much trouble when he grows up.

Ranger1

Re: September 17 - Arandil

September 17 - Arandil: (4) An evil drabble - from an orc's perspective, or the MoS, or Sauron , or the ickle dark lord himself, Morgoth - anyone from the "other" side... Extra points if Morgoth abuses Sauron somehow. Extra EXTRA points if it somehow involves the shaving of Galadriel's head.

INCLUDING SHAVING!

Distaining

Morgorth smiled his hateful smile. Even if he could not harm the Noldor he could still humiliate, remove the sign of strength of one of their leaders. Sauron, his trusted one marched in, evil look matching his master’s.

“It is done!”

“Excellent.” Sauron glowed as Morgorth went to check his work, and then cowered as he stormed back to him, grabbed him by the throat, and beat his head against the wall.

“Shaved … golden … “

“You shaved FINGON not Galadriel!”

Somehow, Sauron’s pain filled mind realized it had really been too long since he had bothered about the difference between Nis and Ner.

Distain: Insult physically
Nis and Ner: Elf men and Elf women

I really tried but this was as close as I could get, I like her too much.

Ranger1

Re: September 17 - Arandil

September 17 - Arandil: (4) An evil drabble - from an orc's perspective, or the MoS, or Sauron , or the ickle dark lord himself, Morgoth - anyone from the "other" side... Extra points if Morgoth abuses Sauron somehow. Extra EXTRA points if it somehow involves the shaving of Galadriel's head.

INCLUDING SHAVING!

Distaining

Morgorth smiled his hateful smile. Even if he could not harm the Noldor he could still humiliate, remove the sign of strength of one of their leaders. Sauron, his trusted one marched in, evil look matching his master’s.

“It is done!”

“Excellent.” Sauron glowed as Morgorth went to check his work, and then cowered as he stormed back to him, grabbed him by the throat, and beat his head against the wall.

“Shaved … golden … “

“You shaved FINGON not Galadriel!”

Somehow, Sauron’s pain filled mind realized it had really been too long since he had bothered about the difference between Nis and Ner.

Distain: Insult physically
Nis and Ner: Elf men and Elf women

I really tried but this was as close as I could get, I like her too much.

Ranger1

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum